• 28 comments
Uruguay
Rivera
Tsukishima-TDUDT
512QunV.png
Mazda RX-Vision '15
512QunV.png

zoom.png

The two-door, two-seat coupé is described as being “Mazda’s vision for the ultimate in front-engine, rear-wheel drive sports car styling,” and is said to represent “a vision for the future that harbours the soul of the Mazda brand.”

The model measures 4389mm long by 1925mm wide, with a height of 1160mm and a wheelbase of 2700mm. Those dimensions make it marginally longer and wider than Jaguar’s F-type coupé sports car, and significantly lower.

Key to the concept is its next-generation rotary engine. Dubbed SkyActiv-R, Mazda says it has been able to solve three key issues with previous rotary engines – fuel economy, emissions and reliability. Exact power outputs and specifications have not yet been revealed.

On the continued development of rotary engine technology, the company said that it will “never stop challenging to deliver new rotary engines that provide its unique brand of driving pleasure.”

Speaking to Autocar on the eve of the Tokyo show, Mazda’s head of research and development Kiyoshi Fujiwara said: “People think rotary can not meet modern Eco demands. The SkyActiv engineers worked on rotary and have made it cutting edge tech. It is an essential part of our DNA and it just be passed onto future engineers. It is synonymous with the brand. Some time in the future it will return and be called SkyActiv-R."

It was revealed earlier this year that Mazda had continued working on rotary engine technology after the axing of the RX-8 in 2012, with Mazda boss Masamichi Kogai saying: "Initial targets for rotary were set higher than gasoline. I said before it would be difficult for mass production, and this encouraged our engineers to work harder to achieve these targets. I believe one day our engineers can overcome those challenges and meet targets.

"We want to have good communication with our fans on the concept. I'd like to know how great their expectations are. R&D are working very hard - the targets are strict, rotary engines have lots of issues, and we need to solve each of them. It's not just emissions, it's performance as well, and making it easy to maintain. A rotary engine is a difficult engine to solve all these problems.

"If I say anything about [launch] dates I put too much pressure on our engineers. I want to avoid putting pressure on them. I would like to hear feedback on the design of the vehicle. This is the design of a sports car that really encapsulates a front-engined rear-wheel drive car. It embodies a Mazda sports car."

Further hints as to concept's rotary power source came earlier this month when Mazda released details of other cars that will be shown on its Tokyo stand, including the 967 Mazda Cosmo Sport 110S, the company’s first rotary powered mass-production model.

The concept’s design is said to offer “a sense of lineage and authenticity, encapsulating Mazda’s entire history of sports car design.” Following Mazda’s KODO design language, the RX-Vision’s low body features short overhangs at either end, with a low roofline and low bonnet – something made possible by the compact dimensions of the SkyActiv-R engine.

Inside, the concept features handcrafted components with intricate instrumentation, leather trim and a simplistic instrument panel. The concept has 245/40R20 tyres at the front, and 285/35R20 rubber at the rear.

Speaking about the car’s design, Kogai said: "It is a two-door, two-seater. It is a pure sports car design. We have MX-5 and another icon is a rotary sports car. We haven't talked about market reach but this would be in that segment."

Mazda design boss Ikuo Maeda added that the concept "represents our dream, but we don't want it to be a dream too long."

Text by Mark Tisshaw

mazdarxvision3.jpg

2015_mazda_rx-vision_rotary_concept_tokyo_07.jpg

2015_mazda_rx-vision_rotary_concept_tokyo_12.jpg

2015_mazda_rx-vision_rotary_concept_tokyo_04.jpg

2015_mazda_rx-vision_rotary_concept_tokyo_08.jpg

2015_mazda_rx-vision_rotary_concept_tokyo_09.jpg

Last edited:
512QunV.png
Mazda RX-Vision '15
512QunV.png

View attachment 469527

The two-door, two-seat coupé is described as being “Mazda’s vision for the ultimate in front-engine, rear-wheel drive sports car styling,” and is said to represent “a vision for the future that harbours the soul of the Mazda brand.”

The model measures 4389mm long by 1925mm wide, with a height of 1160mm and a wheelbase of 2700mm. Those dimensions make it marginally longer and wider than Jaguar’s F-type coupé sports car, and significantly lower.

Key to the concept is its next-generation rotary engine. Dubbed SkyActiv-R, Mazda says it has been able to solve three key issues with previous rotary engines – fuel economy, emissions and reliability. Exact power outputs and specifications have not yet been revealed.

On the continued development of rotary engine technology, the company said that it will “never stop challenging to deliver new rotary engines that provide its unique brand of driving pleasure.”

Speaking to Autocar on the eve of the Tokyo show, Mazda’s head of research and development Kiyoshi Fujiwara said: “People think rotary can not meet modern Eco demands. The SkyActiv engineers worked on rotary and have made it cutting edge tech. It is an essential part of our DNA and it just be passed onto future engineers. It is synonymous with the brand. Some time in the future it will return and be called SkyActiv-R."

It was revealed earlier this year that Mazda had continued working on rotary engine technology after the axing of the RX-8 in 2012, with Mazda boss Masamichi Kogai saying: "Initial targets for rotary were set higher than gasoline. I said before it would be difficult for mass production, and this encouraged our engineers to work harder to achieve these targets. I believe one day our engineers can overcome those challenges and meet targets.

"We want to have good communication with our fans on the concept. I'd like to know how great their expectations are. R&D are working very hard - the targets are strict, rotary engines have lots of issues, and we need to solve each of them. It's not just emissions, it's performance as well, and making it easy to maintain. A rotary engine is a difficult engine to solve all these problems.

"If I say anything about [launch] dates I put too much pressure on our engineers. I want to avoid putting pressure on them. I would like to hear feedback on the design of the vehicle. This is the design of a sports car that really encapsulates a front-engined rear-wheel drive car. It embodies a Mazda sports car."

Further hints as to concept's rotary power source came earlier this month when Mazda released details of other cars that will be shown on its Tokyo stand, including the 967 Mazda Cosmo Sport 110S, the company’s first rotary powered mass-production model.

The concept’s design is said to offer “a sense of lineage and authenticity, encapsulating Mazda’s entire history of sports car design.” Following Mazda’s KODO design language, the RX-Vision’s low body features short overhangs at either end, with a low roofline and low bonnet – something made possible by the compact dimensions of the SkyActiv-R engine.

Inside, the concept features handcrafted components with intricate instrumentation, leather trim and a simplistic instrument panel. The concept has 245/40R20 tyres at the front, and 285/35R20 rubber at the rear.

Speaking about the car’s design, Kogai said: "It is a two-door, two-seater. It is a pure sports car design. We have MX-5 and another icon is a rotary sports car. We haven't talked about market reach but this would be in that segment."

Mazda design boss Ikuo Maeda added that the concept "represents our dream, but we don't want it to be a dream too long."

Text by Mark Tisshaw

View attachment 469534
View attachment 469537
View attachment 469544
View attachment 469543
View attachment 469541
View attachment 469542
You're lightning quick, I was hoping I could make the post for this one but I guess not.

Awesome Mazda BTW, good to see the rotary engine back. 👍

He/she just wants the likes. That's how this entire sub-forum is.
Nope, I just want the thread ownership so that I can be the one who decides how the structure of the thread for the car I want to see in GT will be (text, specific pictures, specs chart). I can't stand seeing these threads with no information/specs on the car being nominated.

If I really only wanted the likes I'd be posting every single car I can find at wikipedia and allcarindex...

Just so you know, I've been making "car posts" for my personal car database much before this part of the forum was born.

You're lightning quick, I was hoping I could make the post for this one but I guess not.
Sorry about that, but as I've mentioned before, I prefer when I can be the one who provides info about the car, decides which pictures will be in the OP and decides how the structure of the OP will be. :P

There's only 1 other car from this year's Tokyo Motor Show I plan on making a post for so you will have a lot of other opportunities for sure.

Mark my words, this will end up being in GT Sport.
Hopefully you're right about it. :)

I prefer when I can be the one who provides info about the car, decides which pictures will be in the OP and decides how the structure of the OP will be. :P
Hmm, everyone has their own way of structuring their threads for car suggestions, mine would have been a little different from yours. I guess every "suggestionator" sees theirs as the best one.

I care more about the pictures and specs BTW.

Nope, I just want the thread ownership so that I can be the one who decides how the structure of the thread for the car I want to see in GT will be (text, specific pictures, specs chart). I can't stand seeing these threads with no information/specs on the car being nominated.
For some reason, this quote bugged me a bit.

Not really targeting you at this, no offense there happens to be one, but this is how I end up seeing the cars suggestion forum in a nutshell, 1st one wins. It has it's own sort of vicious competition.

I will say that you, like a few others around here, at least moderate your suggestions, unlike most suggestions, where they suggest it, followed by immediately abandoning it (I'll admit, I did that before, and that's why I grew distant from the suggestion dealio).

Hmm, everyone has their own way of structuring their threads for car suggestions, mine would have been a little different from yours. I guess every "suggestionator" sees theirs as the best one.
You're right about it, sometimes I wish all the car threads had the same structure as mine but that just cannot be done as this place is not my personal blog or something like that. When it comes to my car database I make sure every post have the same structure.

Not really targeting you at this, no offense there happens to be one, but this is how I end up seeing the cars suggestion forum in a nutshell, 1st one wins. It has it's own sort of vicious competition.
Yup, it's desperately sad that it has come to this, if you want to post some car that is yet to be revealed you will have to plan ahead or be really lucky, it's always the same vicious cycle over and over and over again. :(

Sometimes it's hard to tell if somebody posted a car because they like it and want too see it making its way to Gran Turismo or if it's because of another reason. In the case of this Mazda I watched the live reveal to tell if I really liked the looks of the car or not before coming here to post it, it looks far better than I thought it would have.

I will say that you, like a few others around here, at least moderate your suggestions, unlike most suggestions, where they suggest it, followed by immediately abandoning it (I'll admit, I did that before, and that's why I grew distant from the suggestion dealio).
Well, whenever I get an alert about one of my car threads I go check if everything is alright, I like keeping them tidy and as perfect (in my view) as possible.

Last edited:
Two things which I like the most about this concept : The back end, which is hugely reminiscent of the FD, and the minimalist interior, which has always been a mark of the RX-7, more so than many other JDM sports models such as the GT-R, which get slightly more fancy with the data logger screens et al.

Wether or not those cues will make it into a future version is vague at the moment, but I sure hope so, since the RX-7 is by far my favourite Japanese sports car.

He/she just wants the likes. That's how this entire sub-forum is.
Well that's kinda the point of this forum. Yes I do agree that some people (not mentioning any names) do post vehicles just to get at least 1 or more likes. When I post vehicles I try to go for ones that people will hopefully enjoy, and if they do, like the suggestion. This forum is getting to the point that all the good cars are being suggested, so we have to try and make the best of the other cars which are mostly daily drivers. Negative comments like yours about the desperation for likes gets this forum nowhere.

Back