McLaren 650S 2014

• Thread starter Amac500
  • 25 comments
United States
United States
Alex_Mac_
The McLaren 650S is the next supercar from McLaren, and will utilize the twin-turbocharged V8 currently used in the P1 and 12C. It seems that this will be between the 12C and P1, like a mini P1 with 650hp and without hybridization, and should ultimately replace the 12C. The car is confirmed to be debuting at Geneva in 2014.

ku-xlarge.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
So, they're basically building their whole model range on the same engine? I don't know if it's sad or cool. Can't wait to see this R8 killer tho.

So, they're basically building their whole model range on the same engine? I don't know if it's sad or cool. Can't wait to see this R8 killer tho.
Think about that. McLaren isn't exactly the biggest and richest car manufacturer in the world, and developing all new engines is quite expensive.

Think about that. McLaren isn't exactly the biggest and richest car manufacturer in the world, and developing all new engines is quite expensive.

Yeah, and the fact that they're still trying to create a whole line-up of models (coupled with the fact that said engine, used in all of their cars, is based around the Nissan VRH) makes me happy. However, the lack of differentiation in the Macca line-up is... Quite disconcerting. May be because I grew up with Ferrari in mind as the ultimate car manufacturer, and I'm heavily influenced with their policies.

Last edited:
Would be stupid if McDonalds called their 450bhp entry model the 650S.
All the websites say it will be 911 level below the 12C, they'll probably explain what the name means at the unveil.

EDIT: Interesting, today it seems they are other reports that it will be between the 12C and P1, but what cars would it be competing against in that range? Hmm, guess we'll have to wait for the launch.

EDIT AGAIN: I wonder if this could like a P1 without the hybridization? The non-electric motor in the P1 turns out 727hp, and I for one had criticized that they would make it a hybrid because the hybrid motor is only capable of 176hp, and the charge it holds is so small you never get that all at once, and I hated that they added it because to me plug-in hybrid technology isn't efficient enough to validate killing the power-to-weight ratio. I wonder if this car will be the P1 without hybridization, maybe a bit less-efficient aerodynamically, and less horsepower to keep it slower then the P1?

Last edited:
This 650S is McLaren's balls-out rival for the beautiful Ferrari 458 Speciale. They can put whatever spin they want on it but we know what it is. Performance will be staggering but I cannot warm to any McLaren.

Presumably the new front styling will become the face lifted 12C at some point.

McLaren's rival for the 911, R8 and upcoming AMG GT is apparently due 2015 so we should see a concept later this year.

This 650S is McLaren's balls-out rival for the beautiful Ferrari 458 Speciale. They can put whatever spin they want on it but we know what it is. Performance will be staggering but I cannot warm to any McLaren.

Presumably the new front styling will become the face lifted 12C at some point.

McLaren's rival for the 911, R8 and upcoming AMG GT is apparently due 2015 so we should see a concept later this year.
The scenario is probably that McLaren put so much into development of the P1, they are now applying lessons learned to a new car in order to turn a profit. This is the same thing that happened to Porsche in developing the 918 and why they are now making a 961. But why do you say you couldn't warm up to any McLaren?

But why do you say you couldn't warm up to any McLaren?
I have always found McLaren a very cold clinical and faceless company and that appears in it's products to me. What they produce is undeniably wonderful but Ferrari and Lamborghini have a personality about them.

I reckon if you where in McLaren's super shiny HQ and sneezed you would immediately be brought to be decontaminated while the area was dealt with by a forensics team.

I have always found McLaren a very cold clinical and faceless company and that appears in it's products to me. What they produce is undeniably wonderful but Ferrari and Lamborghini have a personality about them.

I reckon if you where in McLaren's super shiny HQ and sneezed you would immediately be brought to be decontaminated while the area was dealt with by a forensics team.
That's fair enough, I can understand that. It's like how I can't stand Porsche because of how off-putting I found what they did with the 918 at the Detroit Auto Show, and the 918 was my favorite car at the time and I still thinks the car itself is fantastic, but I don't see any passion in Porsche and I can't think of their cars without getting that off-putting feeling. So I can sympathize with that, and I do think the white is a bit weird.

I too feel that way about Porsche. I admit that I love the new 911 GT3 and am a big fan of the 918 Spyder but the rest of the range leaves me cold. Actually, the Panamera leaves me nauseous!

I too feel that way about Porsche. I admit that I love the new 911 GT3 and am a big fan of the 918 Spyder but the rest of the range leaves me cold. Actually, the Panamera leaves me nauseous!
In green the Panamera bares a striking resemblance to a cucumber! My like for Porsche has been mostly based on their motorsport history and I've never really cared for anything they did that didn't reflect, and I could get into the whole rant about them at the auto show but I won't get into that here, lol :cheers:

The McLaren 650S is the next supercar from McLaren, and will utilize the twin-turbocharged V8 currently used in the P1 and 12C. Initial reports were that the engine would be detuned to around 450hp to compete with the likes of the 911, Audi R8, and new Corvette Z06. However, now it seems that this will be between the 12C and P1, like a mini P1 with 650hp and without hybridization. Anyways, the car is confirmed to be debuting at Geneva in 2014 and I guess we'll learn more then!

Actually there are two projects going on, one for cars like this 650S to fill in the gap between 12C and P1. In my mind, this one is more like the facelift version of 12C. Second is a P13 project car targeting customers aiming about 911 cars. Both them will be announced in the future.

Actually there are two projects going on, one for cars like this 650S to fill in the gap between 12C and P1. In my mind, this one is more like the facelift version of 12C. Second is a P13 project car targeting customers aiming about 911 cars. Both them will be announced in the future.
I heard that P13 was the internal name for the 650S, but there are so many different things on the internet I'm not really sure. But either way, I'm gonna edit the main post to make sure it's specific to the 650S

Shame they sorted out the wrong end. The rear is hardly offensive but the 348-look slates are not the most attractive

Back