Meet the Mad Time Attack Car Inspired by Gran Turismo's Mitsubishi GTO LM

• Thread starter Famine
  • 10 comments
It’s a bit unorthodox to use another engine not to help power the car, but to power parts to help the original engine make way more power than stock.

It’s mad and I absolutely love it. :lol:

Actually now that I think about it, using a second engine to get improved performance while also not driving the wheels?

Chaparral 2J anyone? :P

It’s a bit unorthodox to use another engine not to help power the car, but to power parts to help the original engine make way more power than stock.

It’s mad and I absolutely love it. :lol:
We really haven't seen a fit of automotive insanity like this since the late '90s, when things like the Pikes Peak Escudo and Espace F1 were roaming the earth. And frankly, we could really use more of it right about now to remind people that cars are a lot more than just expensive appliances you trade in every other year.

Wasn’t the Audi Dakar like that? The ICE charged the battery and the battery drove the wheels or something.
It was, a detuned Audi DTM engine acting as a range extender for the electric motors which did all the work. :)

We really haven't seen a fit of automotive insanity like this since the late '90s, when things like the Pikes Peak Escudo and Espace F1 were roaming the earth. And frankly, we could really use more of it right about now to remind people that cars are a lot more than just expensive appliances you trade in every other year.
Closest in terms of using two engines would also include the Cultus Pikes Peak.

Not the first time someone tried to recreate the widebody GTO LM even though these are definitely not as crazy as the one above. I also prefer the cleaner look without all the crazy front splitters and canards.

I wonder why you need a whole other engine to power the supercharger though? Surely replacing the original turbos with a bigger one would produce more power (and save weight). Or if the original GTO motor isn't that strong, do a swap with an Evo motor which has been known to produce 600 HP easy (HKS CT230R anyone?). The engineering needed to make a twin engine setup sure is impressive, but in terms of pure performance seems a bit like an overcomplication.

Oh and the original GTO LM was also one of the first cars in the series to have 7 speed transmission, so he would need to make that as well if he wants to be fully accurate ;)

Between this and the Beetle Gr.3, I'm glad people are making real versions of GT LM race cars. Someone should definitely do the FTO LM, del Sol LM or Cerbera LM next.

Last edited:
Back