Mercedes-AMG One: An F1-Engined Hypercar

Seeing how it has several luxuries, and it cost well over €2 million, this is just your typical desert boulevard queen.

What luxuries does it have? Probably air con, but not much more. The interior is bare carbon fibre, just with some padding on the seats, but even they look like a part of the monocoque, as opposed to seperate components. The price is irrelevant. It's a high-tech machine, of course it's going to be expensive. The point is you're going to have to be a proper enthusiast to get and drive this thing, not just have deep pockets, unles you're just going to keep it in the garage all the time.

Seeing as the first cars will hit the road in 2019, unlikely would be the answer.
Yeah PD doesn't have a history of putting prototypes, concepts, one-offs, or fictional designs coordinated with manufactures to craft their own sort of, vision if you will, into their games. And if they did do the latter, Mercedes certainly wouldn't be the first company to work on that vision program with PD.

article
There’s a 1.6-liter, turbocharged V6 petrol engine, providing around 670hp to the rear wheels. It’s the most thermally-efficient combustion engine ever devised, running at over 40% — compared to 25% for a normal petrol car.

1.6 liters making 670 hp, unbelievable. With that kind of tech going into this, I'm sure this thing is going to be light.

1.6 liters making 670 hp, unbelievable. With that kind of tech going into this, I'm sure this thing is going to be light.
Mercedes hasn't specified a weight yet, but among other things it has significantly more cells in its battery pack than the F1 car - and two extra front axle motors.

I've seen a few places suggest it's at about 1200kg, and a quick scribble based on the performance figures isn't too far from that.

Mercedes hasn't specified a weight yet, but among other things it has significantly more cells in its battery pack than the F1 car - and two extra front axle motors.

I've seen a few places suggest it's at about 1200kg, and a quick scribble based on the performance figures isn't too far from that.

Still pretty light. Close to a 1:1 power to weight ratio, despite being a hybrid and (sorta) AWD.

Seeing as the first cars will hit the road in 2019, unlikely would be the answer.
Yeah PD doesn't have a history of putting prototypes, concepts, one-offs, or fictional designs coordinated with manufactures to craft their own sort of, vision if you will, into their games. And if they did do the latter, Mercedes certainly wouldn't be the first company to work on that vision program with PD.
I'm sensing sarcasm in this post

I see some Mercedes in the front intakes, but that's about it. Not holding that against it though, because nearly every AMG on the market isn't exactly designed with peak performance in mind considering most are having to turn luxury coupes/sedans into performance machines. The shape isn't as unique either, but it's likely what was the best way to accomplish what they set out to do with it. It's a design seen before that works.

I thought the car would be a bit more radical, but I like it.

I don't see the Mercedes in this.

Looks like a mclaren.

mclarenp112.jpg

I can see enough Mercedes in it. I see the Sauber-Mercedes C9, I see the CLK-GTR, for some reason I also get McMerc vibes as well. It does also feel of Paganis, many McLarens, and the 918. The only niggle I really have with it are the grill openings on the far ends of the front. It doesn't look sleek, so there's probably some aero trickery goings on, but that's all I have an issue with. Is it boring? Compared to Pagani and Koenigsegg and that Red Bull-AM thing sure, but simple works for some and this works for me. I'll never be able to be within 50 miles of one, but it looks 'aight to me.

I see a Mercedes. It has the silver arrow on the 'hood' (if you can call it that) :P Of course since it's mid-engined, it's going to look like other mid-engined cars. But it's unique enough to be a Mercedes imo. Does Koenigsegg looks like McLaren or Porsche 918 too? They all have similarities, does that mean they're not 'original' and they're all copying off the first mid-engined exotic?

Look closely at the videos and stills and it has active louvers above the front wheels. In motion they're open, when still (like during the presentation) they're shut.

Looks like the new Mercedes line to me, especially the grille area. Here's a cool little video

It's the worst looking car in the video.

Not feeling it to be honest. If ever I make Forbes' top 50 richest people -- I think I'll probably pass. Take that Mercedes.

The styling isn't clicking for me, but perhaps will in time. It reminds me a little of the Evora and also the Jag CX75, but is blander than both, and makes me (again) wish that more was made of the Jag :(

It's the worst looking car in the video.

Not feeling it to be honest. If ever I make Forbes' top 50 richest people -- I think I'll probably pass. Take that Mercedes.

I think they'll rest easy.

---------------------------------------

As for the car, I think it's great the original silhouette of the car never seemed to give an indication of radical designs but instead luxury hyper car. It was what was to be under the car that was more radical and awe inspiring. They did just that, it reminds me of a modern version of the CLK-GTR/CLR of the 90s and also McLaren F1, given a modern conventional take. I like that it is a call back to the times when these cars were simpler and yet were massively great because of the performance and tuning not seen on the exterior, but under the car.

Last edited:
For some reason, when looking at the anterior, I keep thinking of a very specific car, but I can't recall what its name actually is.
Looks too extreme to be like an older, tame-by-comparison McLaren, and the headlight-lowergrille gimmick from the newer ones is nowhere to be seen, the image of a Pagani doesn't ring with me when I see this either. The lower grille itself is quite similar to the 918's but the rest of the car doesn't make me think of the 918. Likewise for the headlights and the Huracan Super Trofeo. Infact, I would say the closest comparison I could make to the Project One when looking at the anterior angle shot is that old fat Viper GTS-R concept, but even then the "car in my mind" that I thought of as soon as I saw the Project One was a bit more modern-looking to.
The very end of the posterior though, definitely a bit Regera-looking.

Regardless, it was certainly not the car I was excepting to have the badge of a Mercedes, but it's not like that makes me hate the darn thing, infact, I still like it despite it not looking like a typical Mercedes car.

It's purposeful, and that's why I think it's great. It's not supposed to be brand identity first in this league. I remember the reaction to the Ferrari Enzo, and I still don't like the way it looks, but after a while it grew on people and it's now a 'classic'.

That is b o r i n g. I expected a better-looking car from Mercedes, and their car is heavier than the Aston Valkyrie!
Plus the interior looks stupid (but not as much as Valkyrie's hee hee)

I can't see anything good looking, apart from that streak thing connecting to that huge rear wing (like LMPs)

The Valkyrie looks way wilder and more fun, where as the Mercedes suits have boring-erized the design of the ONE.

Absolutely love it! :drool:

I agree with @Dhalism and @CCLOPES that the front reminds me a bit of the McLaren F1 but everything else looks Mercedes, in my opinion. TBH I'm not sure what else they could have done with the headlights (my only sticking point), as I think they need to be where they are (certain height by law). When you take into consideration, the vast amount of area that the front intakes and wings take up, the only other solution it seems, would've been to go the Audi R8 route (so glad they didn't). The smooth yet curvy body is gorgeous! and very Mercedes.

I think it achieves it's purpose perfectly. For me, it's main competitor the Valkyrie, looks too fragile (in a Caparo T1 kind of way), this however looks more sturdy/usable. And I feel it's closer to an actual F1 car, in the sense that more F1 features are utilised (air box, fin and of course the engine/MGU). I'm getting none of that with Aston's Valkyrie, apart from the front wing. The Mercedes-AMG Project One, I feel overall does a more convincing job of being an F1 car for the road. Oh, and the PETRONAS graphics and the wheels really set it off!

Awesome! vid BTW @trustjab 👍. Anybody who hasn't at least once, done that in a tunnel (celebrating and appreciating the fusion of acoustics and raw power) just simply haven't lived. :lol:

Count me into one of those that failed to find any part of the car vaguely resembling current Mercedes cars.

As somebody has already pointed out, it just looks bland and lacking in character. I was hoping for it to look better than the Valkyrie, which shouldn't be too much to ask for, as I don't consider the Valkyrie a good looking car either, but, needless to say, I am slightly disappointed. Yeah, it looks better than the Valkyrie, but only ever so slightly.

Would prefer the SLS AMG over this any time of the day.

Back