Mercedes CLK GTR - sell or keep?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dave Abrey
  • 49 comments
  • 13,940 views
i say keep the CLK-GTR... simply because it's such a beautiful car... keep it for photomode... hehe.... other than that there's no race if can't win without it...if that's what u'r asking..
 
If you are an avid GT'er, you SHOULD be able to win with ANY race car up for the competition...................the CLK GTM can be modded to get over 1000 ponies but that **** just won't fly when pitted against the games finer LMP cars (Minolta, Pescarolo, Toyota, Nissan). It is startegy and not speed which will win you the races against such competition!

As mentioned above.............the right suspension mod and tires are essential to win with the CLK. If you can't tune it up then get it out and invest in a real racer (I happen to think the Minolta is the finer of the LMP cars). You'd even be better off racing in the Vertigo than the CLK!!
 
toss it for 2 reasons...

1 its not a fiat
2 it doesnt even start with f
:p
 
Yeah, I have just been wondering what would be a good car to do the GTWC in. I have the black versions of the R92CP and 787B. I have been leaning toward the R92CP however.
 
live4speed
...Heres the CLK-LM, the CLK-GTR in GT4 is actually a CLK-LM not a CLK-GTR...


Good one 'speed. I never noticed that.

How could PD make such a major mistake?



_
 
Ah, the Mercedes-Benz CLK-GTR... I've never really considered this a super-powerful machine, but it is a slick German beauty all done up in traditional Mercedes-Benz silver. The January 1999 edition of Road and Track Magazine features two CLK-GTRs. One CLK-GTR has yellow mirrors (as seen in GT4), and the other is the CLK-GTR mit den roten Spiegeln (or for the rest of us, "with red mirrors"). I'm keeping this car because it's still a very capable machine.

Do you keep it or sell it? If you have a race car in a GT game, you NEVER give a car up unless you seriously can't make any magic happen with it. Why not a race car? Because you can tune it. You're not going to get far with the CLK-GTR in stock form. Feel free to buy extra parts, tune more settings, and basically do all you can to win. But when you can't make anything happen in ANY series, THEN give it up. I kind of have a such problem with the 1980s Jaguar XJR9. It's powerful, it's fast, but it's no Toyota 88C-V. I've been beaten on a track I'm very good at, Tokyo R246. It's almost as if you get certain prize cars that will give you experience in a certain championship, but not actually WINNING it. Try winning the GT World Championship with an untuned Chevrolet Camaro Race Car. Not going to happen, right? You can probably still win the Pan-American race series in the American Events, but not GTWC. Anything that's more than 800 horsepower and can handle beautifully at almost any race track it goes to belongs in GTWC.

So should you sell it? Remember these questions: (1) Can I make something happen with this car? (2) With tuning and modifications, how much closer to victory can I get? (3) Is it worth taking to bigger and better racing events? Answer those questions, and if all three are no, either adjust your racing style, or simply sell the car.
 
JohnBM01
...So should you sell it? Remember these questions: (1) Can I make something happen with this car? (2) With tuning and modifications, how much closer to victory can I get? (3) Is it worth taking to bigger and better racing events? Answer those questions, and if all three are no, either adjust your racing style, or simply sell the car...


...and get a lot more of them, and sell them too:


_______________________________

"B-Spec Spamming The DTM"


Do you know about the DTM trick to pile up big bucks in a hurry? If not, here it is:

Run the second Special Condition (Easy) race twice and sell the two Toyota rally cars you'll win. Go to Germany and buy an Opel Astra Touring Car. Buy the Stage 3 NA upgrade. After an oil change you'll have 654 HP. Use this chassis setup:

http://www.gtvault.com/SetupDisplay.cfm?SetupID=0202J844508E887CA06240441

Use all those settings, but also turn the TCS up to 7. I also use the Tranny Trick from GT3: Move the Final drive full right to 5.00. Move the Autoset slider full right to 25, then full left to 1, and leave it there. This gives your 6-speed the closest possible set of gears. Now adjust the Final drive for each track, or put it at 3.90 for all the DTM events if you're lazy.

Now go to the European Events and enter the Astra in the Deutsche Touring Car Meisterschaft (DTM), or, in English, the German Touring Car Championship.

B-Spec every event. Set the speed at 4, and leave "Overtake" on. Click R1 to display the map, then click and hold L1 while you D-Pad right to change the speed to x3, or three times normal. Each event will then only take about three minutes. If you choose to monitor things, you can blow through it all in about 17 minutes. When the prize money starts being awarded, press X or Start to speed up the process.

The prize car's resale value is 743,749. You get 15,000 for winning each event, and 75,000 for the championship, so your total haul for less than 20 minutes is 893,749.

Best of all, you can do other things while your B-Spec driver is piling up cash for you, like eating dinner or sorting socks.

Repeat early and often, again and again, as many times as you want. I like to go through it three times while I'm getting ready for work. That's about 2,700,000 without even playing. At that rate, you can collect a bunch of very expensive cars in a hurry.

(Use your pile of cash to get an Audi R8, Bimmer V12 LMR, '04 Pescarolo, or an '03 Pescarolo. The '03 Pesky gets great tire life, giving it a big advantage over other Prototypes. Leave the suspension stock, turn off ASM, buy Stage 4, the chassis stiffener, and R1, R2, and R4 tires, and have fun.)

_________________________________

"B-Spec Spamming The El Capitan 200 Enduro"

Use the car you won the Supercar Festival with. Equip it with Sport Hard tires. Set the speed to "4", turn on "Overtake" and go do something constructive while B-Spec Bob wins you a Minolta Toyota 88C-V and 250,000 credits. Sell the Toyota for 743,749, and you've picked up almost a million while doing nothing. Do it as often as you like. Just hit "Clear" when it asks you to.

The advantage of this over spamming the DTM series is that it takes no monitoring at all. Start the race when you go to bed, or before you go to work or school, and you've earned a million when you wake up or get back. Of course, you have to be over 25% into the game to do this, and you don't have to be to do the DTM stunt.
_________________________________
 
I made a mistake. It was the one with RED mirrors featured in GT4. My mistake.
 
Zardoz
...and get a lot more of them, and sell them too:


_______________________________

"B-Spec Spamming The DTM"


Do you know about the DTM trick to pile up big bucks in a hurry? If not, here it is:

Run the second Special Condition (Easy) race twice and sell the two Toyota rally cars you'll win. Go to Germany and buy an Opel Astra Touring Car. Buy the Stage 3 NA upgrade. After an oil change you'll have 654 HP. Use this chassis setup:

http://www.gtvault.com/SetupDisplay.cfm?SetupID=0202J844508E887CA06240441

Use all those settings, but also turn the TCS up to 7. I also use the Tranny Trick from GT3: Move the Final drive full right to 5.00. Move the Autoset slider full right to 25, then full left to 1, and leave it there. This gives your 6-speed the closest possible set of gears. Now adjust the Final drive for each track, or put it at 3.90 for all the DTM events if you're lazy.

Now go to the European Events and enter the Astra in the Deutsche Touring Car Meisterschaft (DTM), or, in English, the German Touring Car Championship.

B-Spec every event. Set the speed at 4, and leave "Overtake" on. Click R1 to display the map, then click and hold L1 while you D-Pad right to change the speed to x3, or three times normal. Each event will then only take about three minutes. If you choose to monitor things, you can blow through it all in about 17 minutes. When the prize money starts being awarded, press X or Start to speed up the process.

The prize car's resale value is 743,749. You get 15,000 for winning each event, and 75,000 for the championship, so your total haul for less than 20 minutes is 893,749.

Best of all, you can do other things while your B-Spec driver is piling up cash for you, like eating dinner or sorting socks.

Repeat early and often, again and again, as many times as you want. I like to go through it three times while I'm getting ready for work. That's about 2,700,000 without even playing. At that rate, you can collect a bunch of very expensive cars in a hurry.

(Use your pile of cash to get an Audi R8, Bimmer V12 LMR, '04 Pescarolo, or an '03 Pescarolo. The '03 Pesky gets great tire life, giving it a big advantage over other Prototypes. Leave the suspension stock, turn off ASM, buy Stage 4, the chassis stiffener, and R1, R2, and R4 tires, and have fun.)

_________________________________

"B-Spec Spamming The El Capitan 200 Enduro"

Use the car you won the Supercar Festival with. Equip it with Sport Hard tires. Set the speed to "4", turn on "Overtake" and go do something constructive while B-Spec Bob wins you a Minolta Toyota 88C-V and 250,000 credits. Sell the Toyota for 743,749, and you've picked up almost a million while doing nothing. Do it as often as you like. Just hit "Clear" when it asks you to.

The advantage of this over spamming the DTM series is that it takes no monitoring at all. Start the race when you go to bed, or before you go to work or school, and you've earned a million when you wake up or get back. Of course, you have to be over 25% into the game to do this, and you don't have to be to do the DTM stunt.
_________________________________


Alternatively instead of using the Supercar cup car... stick sports tyres on the CLK GTR(M) and use that for the El Capitan... nails the opposition... and takes a lot less time to complete it than anyone else.

I used the CLK for a lot of the enduro's where you needed sports tyres... set B-spec dude off and waited for the money to roll in!!

C.
 
indeed that race is a good money run 👍
i currently trying to tune the gtr and do some enduros with it,
currently i am at 50% of the 24hr nurburgring... curious about the F1 car.. and wich color :dopey:
grtz
 
heres a weird fact:

it took Mercedes 129days to build the CLK-GTR from design on paper to the actual car
 
... and it took Peter Dumbreck and Mark Webber 2 days to destroy three of them.

(I know, I know, it was the CLR. But it's still too good a gag to waste)
 
As an update, after a tough decision, I decided I'd let go of my CLK-GTR. You get good pay from it, but you lose a good car. I just couldn't get anything working, even while keeping horsepower stock. The CLK-GTR isn't a bad car at all. It's just that in the more critical and more challenging races, it can't hang with the LMPs and such. So it's no wonder that even though a Porsche GT1 won Le Mans outright over prototypes and other GT1 machinery in 1998, some cars probably were never meant to vie for the outright win. Mercedes-Benz CLk-GTR... wins FIA GT, wins the 12 Hours of Sebring in 1998, but can't beat the Toyota 88C-V and Nissan R92CP in GTWC. Video game magic.

Now, I didn't want to seriously cheat, so I only needed more horsepower for faster tracks, because after all, you want all the power and speed you can get at the ovals. But then, I didn't win "Like the Wind" with a Jaguar XJR8. Could have and should have won the race, but I decided not to get that Stage 4 to dominate. Now I'm torn as to whether I should keep the Jaguar XJR8 or not. But as far as the CLK-GTR goes, if you can still win with it, keep it. But if it's disappointed you, sell it and make you some money.
 
I'd say keep it so you can have a proper challenge in some races, I mean after a while you'll get bored with a faster car all the time. :grumpy: :grumpy:
 
I'd rather pusha ford than buy a holden :P


sell the merc
 
KEEP IT! its not that bad all you have to remember is it does'nt break that well, so just strap a stage 4 turbo on and double your usual breaking points on each track.
 
live4speed
I know for a fact that people have beat cars mentioned with the CLK-GTR, I've won individual races with it but never a series because I can only drive it well enough on a couple of the tracks to win, I've beaten a C60, 88C-V and R92C at Tokyo, I can hammer them on that track, Hong Kong on the other hand, I get wasted every time with the CLK-GTR.

I've actually beaten it with the CLK GTR but like you said it isn't easy. The key thing is to beat them at the tracks where you can push the car to it's limits like for example Tokio or have a different pittstop strategy. On the other hand -> in Hong-Kong and Suzuka i get smoked every time... That's how it worked for me, but trust me, i won't race that championship again with that car... :grumpy:
 
Dave Abrey
I was doing some research regarding what might make a good car for the GT World Championship, and the general consensus is that the CLK GTR isn't up to the job. Which is a shame, as I've just won one, and was hoping I could put it to good use. So... is it any good for any other race or series, or should I just sell it and put the cash in to my Pescarolo fund?

Thanks,

Dave.

I did the GT-World Championship w/ a R92CP Race Car(Nissan)...
I'm very good at racing on GT4...so it was fairly easy for me, getting 1st every race
To get the R92CP Race Car, I got 25% first, and did the Fuji 1000km endurance race
to beat the Fuji 1000km I started off w/ A-spec(I used a Toyota GT-one that i bought to win this race) just to get about 3 laps ahead, then I B-spec'd the whole thing... :)
I did the GT World Championship ALL A-Spec...
It took a while...
But I won still won!!
 
DriftaX
Which tires on the front then?
Keep the car i won the Japanese gt race expept for the last one cuz i pissed around to much. This is the combo i used it's still needing suspension and tranny settings but

Racing hard's on the front brake bias set to 9 & racing super hards on the back with a brake bias of 18 i can get at least10 to 15 laps out of the tires.

hope this helps
 
Back