Mercedes EQS

(other than making dosh).
Nope. Rich Americans will pay for anything, they don't care. Most of them are probably annoyed that $20k+ worth of options aren't standard because of course they were going to order it anyway.

Last edited:
Beautiful elements
Just not... this one:

1641241894671.png

I have questions. Many, many questions.

tbh this just does not belong to this car at all if taking other parts in account. not bad looking imho
I'd never be able to unsee the off-centre badge. Ever.

I'm fine with the overall shape. Should have gone with classic round headlight housings, for those Three-pointed star headlights.

The Vision EQXX doesn't really look like a Mercedes-Benz to me, but rather far more like a German version of the Alpine A110. I don't think the off-center badge was on purpose, either - I think of it looking much more like a error resulting from haste. Man, I just can't un-see the A110 in the EQXX. Even if the badge was properly centered, it still wouldn't really look like a Mercedes-Benz to me.

Still, I am impressed with its supposed range of over 600 miles.

Last edited:
Apparently the megascreen on the inside is powered by a graphics engine from video games.

Apparently the megascreen on the inside is powered by a graphics engine from video games.

I'm gonna guess that it's unreal engine. If that's the case it's not very surprising and it's hard to really label it as a video game engine anymore as it's used pretty widely in enterprise software in different industries.

I like the car but the off-center badge is pretty cringe. It doesn't look like any recent Mercedes cars, but it does remind me of some of their Nazi-era efforts.

I really don't like this thing. They styling is just hideous and the graphics on the screens look like Windows Media Player circa 2006. You know, the Vista version. Gross.

Nothing about it says 'Mercedes' - there isn't one angle or detail that fits their present or previous themes.

Agreed. And if this is their future theme...it's lame as hell. I don't understand why they didn't draw from the Vision GT and AMG One, both of which definitely look like Mercedes cars from the future. And why they chose this over the EQXX design which they've obviously been working on for years...even though its graphics also look like a Kia, but at least the shape is right. The low, wide grille thing that Merc has going on currently is an excellent theme that is retro and identifiable. This EQS just looks like an old Dodge Intrepid or something.

The 2015 IAA concept had both the speedtail low-drag shape of the EQXX and more Mercedes graphical DNA than either the EQXX or EQS:

15C984_38.0.0.1442259351.0.jpg

Mercedes_Concept_IAA._Spielvogel3.JPG

I much prefer the slightly retro-futuristic graphical elements of this thing compared to any EV Merc has teased or put into production thusfar. For the life of me I cannot understand why Euro brands are in a mad rush right now to look like they were manufactured in Korea. You're over 100 years old, embrace your heritage. What the hell is going on in Germany?

Who would've ever thought that the US would be the country dominating the EV industry? We've got the most influential and successful EV brand, the first (and best) all-purpose EV pickup truck, and the highest luxury EV executive sedan on the market. Everybody else is playing catch-up and putting out really sub-par products.

Last edited:
The EQS starts at $148,000 in the US, coming standard with a virtually useless 277 mile range. Solidly in Lucid's price range, and looking ever more like a Grade A Large egg than the Lucid could ever accomplish. What a machine.

Last edited:
To give an idea how pervasive price gouging is in the auto industry, here's this. EQS prices in China have been reduced by as much as $33,000 to combat significantly below-average sales for the Chinese market. A price cut this big is an overt admission that the EQS is overpriced to begin with, and that it's the wrong product for the market.

To give an idea how pervasive price gouging is in the auto industry, here's this. EQS prices in China have been reduced by as much as $33,000 to combat significantly below-average sales for the Chinese market. A price cut this big is an overt admission that the EQS is overpriced to begin with, and that it's the wrong product for the market.

I'd guess that the margins on high-end BEVs are pretty high. They use the same platform and drivetrain components as more ordinary/pedestrian cars (probably from the same suppliers even) and so the construction costs are probably quite a bit cheaper than an equivalent high-end ICE powered vehicle with bespoke powertrain and platform (though, even those are pretty rare these days). The problem with the EQS is that it's fundamentally undesirable. It doesn't look good on the inside nor the outside and it doesn't have the same sort of regal stature that a normal S class does and at the same time it doesn't have the techy charisma as something like a Tesla or Lucid. It's just this sort of slug looking Benz that evokes futuristic C class more than anything. And C-Class is not where you want to be with a very expensive product.

Back