Mercedes SLR

  • Thread starter Thread starter trk29
  • 33 comments
  • 5,326 views

What do you think of the Mercedes SLR


  • Total voters
    68
  • Poll closed .
Messages
2,586
Messages
trk29
I just bought this car yesterday and I love this car, it is so fun on racing softs, I will probably try some lower grade tires but this is what I first tried.

I haven't seen this car online hardly at all and I was wondering if most have tried and liked it or disliked it, one thing I noticed is just how big the hood is after you put a carbon fiber hood on. Anyway just wanted to know some opinions. This will be a car I will always drive, I first took it to Top Gear track and had a blast.

Oh and this car has a true hood view! Looks sweet.

Yeah I know the car is Loud (red).

I know the pictures are grainy but if you share them online you can downloaded them straight to here off of the Granturismo site and them place them in the folder here to hotlink.

picture.php

picture.php
 
Last edited:
Very cool pics friend:)
I still haven't bought that car, but in the near future, I will certainly blast the 'Ring with it:D
:cheers:
 
I've got one, it's great to drive
 
Eek, that carbon bonnet is sacrilege.
 
Looks like what Mansory would do to one... No wait, that's much worse! (Joking, by the way, red wheels aren't to my taste though)
mansory-slr.jpg


I love the SLR, I hated it in GT4 but I think back then I expected it to handle amazingly well because I knew nothing about cars. Now I know more and have adjusted my expectations and driving style accordingly, I love it.
 
Nice pics! I havent bought one but pretty soon I will.
 
i think it's a great car. doesn't surprise me because it had the help of Gordon Murray.
 
Nice job on the SLR, I won one in a competition my friend held the other day, I'll be tuning the car later.
 
Gold one is great

Red and Black, not so good
 
FYI you get a free one (SLR) for golding the final AMG academy.:)
 
I love my SLR and I too noticed that the hood view is awesome. It also sounds nice and looks badass with some new wheels, a nice drop, and some aero mods.
 
Its a fast car. Runs laps just behind my Ford GT test II....that runs just behind the zonda, that runs right behind the LMP cars.
 
You honestly think that, THAT slr looks good ? The only uglier SLR i've seen is this one
gold-mercedes-slr-05-m.jpg
 
You honestly think that, THAT slr looks good ? The only uglier SLR i've seen is this one picture of ugly SLR

And none of his friends told him he should not do that?
 
You honestly think that, THAT slr looks good ?

Yeah, I think people really missed the point I was trying to make! Mansory just need to stop with their ruining of perfectly fine cars.
 
Never really got into it. I think it's because it's ugly.
 
Awesome car. I have the SLS AMG '10 which i got from the special events, but I have yet to buy this. Saving for rare cars in the UCD so I'm not gonna spend 500k+ on the car yet. :P

Its better than the SLS too, stats wise. It looks meaner too. :P

Also, FYI, you can get two SLRs in the game. One is '03 which you get from golding all the expert AMG academy events, the other is in the dealership. :)
 
i think it's a great car. doesn't surprise me because it had the help of Gordon Murray.

Rumor has it Murray wasn't too happy with what Mercedes did with it. A 3800+ lb car with a 5 speed slushbox is about as far from his philosophy as you can get. Personally i think the SLS is a better car at less than half the price.
 


:yuck:Wierd looking:yuck:... Not a car that you would do that to... A perfectly designed car looses its appeal with all that added "extras"... But it is your taste and I respect it. Although I have to thumbs up the wheels. I have the same ones on mine but in silver!
Mine is mostly stock, and black of course.

The car is great. To my point of view, it was always an overpriced modified SL. But still, the car drives far beyond better than any FR car. And the sound... OMG, I just love how PD nailed it with that V8 grunt!! (I can´t imagine someone changing the stock exhaust)

I´ve tested it against the SLS, to see if the newer Super Benz makes more sense, and the SLR although a little bit heavier on the feel, it beats the SLS for a few fractions of a second. For me, the SLS makes more sense. Its lighter, sharper, less expensive and quicker on tighter, more technical tracks. The quickest most agile Merc ever. I have to stare at the three point star when I drive it to remember its a Benz...

But the SLR has its own appeal. Its undescribable... I love it...
 
I´ve tested it against the SLS, to see if the newer Super Benz makes more sense, and the SLR although a little bit heavier on the feel, it beats the SLS for a few fractions of a second.

I'm pretty sure the SLS was never designed as a replacement for the SLR, I mean yeah, it did replace it in the line-up but it wasn't supposed to be bigger and better than the SLR, otherwise it might have also been called the SLR. Generally in automotive terms, 'S' is worth less than 'R' (Like the Gumpert Apollo S compared to the R, Audi S models compared to RS models, etc) and that appears to be true in this case, also.

I mean, just look at the price difference: €351,269 for the SLR, €177,310 for the SLS (according to Wikipedia). The SL63 AMG Black Series is about that much, I think.

I too prefer the SLS if I were actually racing it, but for just practice driving I much prefer the SLR.
 
I'm pretty sure the SLS was never designed as a replacement for the SLR, I mean yeah, it did replace it in the line-up but it wasn't supposed to be bigger and better than the SLR, otherwise it might have also been called the SLR. Generally in automotive terms, 'S' is worth less than 'R' (Like the Gumpert Apollo S compared to the R, Audi S models compared to RS models, etc) and that appears to be true in this case, also.

I mean, just look at the price difference: €351,269 for the SLR, €177,310 for the SLS (according to Wikipedia). The SL63 AMG Black Series is about that much, I think.

I too prefer the SLS if I were actually racing it, but for just practice driving I much prefer the SLR.

I agree... I never looked at the SLS as replacement. Its just that like you said: it takes the SLR´s place on the line up. The SLS is just like a reborned 50´s 300SL. About the R vs S, its also true what you say. Even on those little FF sport compacts this can be seen.
 
Personally, I was never a fan of this car. I always found the design out of proportion.
 
Behold the SLR Stirling Moss, much cooler than both the SLR and SLS:
2009-mercedes-benz-mclaren-slr-stirling-moss_1.jpg

I would rather have this in the game than the regular SLR.
 
I agree... I never looked at the SLS as replacement. Its just that like you said: it takes the SLR´s place on the line up. The SLS is just like a reborned 50´s 300SL. About the R vs S, its also true what you say. Even on those little FF sport compacts this can be seen.

...Except for Citröens, their sportier models are badged VTS and the trim below that is VTR... They've always loved being unique.

The Stirling Moss is certainly interesting looking but for some reason I've never been that interested in it. In fact I've never been that interested in the SLR, probably because of my experience of it in GT4. Now, though, I love it. I hope the SLS replacement or 'SLS-R' is something similar. The SLS to me feels kind of like a reskinned SL with different doors...
 
Behold the SLR Stirling Moss, much cooler than both the SLR and SLS:
2009-mercedes-benz-mclaren-slr-stirling-moss_1.jpg

I would rather have this in the game than the regular SLR.

That thing is in forza and sounds like a monster. I love that car.
 
Back