MG cars

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 53 comments
Australia
Australia
Well, the brand has been selling the little ZG3 hatch pretty well. Now comes their first EV to Australia.
https://www.motoring.com.au/mg-zs-ev-arrives-as-australias-cheapest-electric-car-127219/

The first in a planned rush of electrified new models from the brand over the next five years, the all-electric MG ZS is almost $20,000 cheaper than the only other EV in the small SUV class – the Hyundai Kona Electric that starts from $60,740 plus on-road costs for the Elite model, or $65,290 for the Highlander.

Last edited:
https://www.motoring.com.au/chinese-corolla-rival-gets-green-light-for-australia-127249/
new-mg5-rear-j8my.jpg
new-mg5-front-dqcw.jpg
new-mg5-studio-2-2yp5.jpg

I didn't know it was possible for a car to look like a Maserati, Ford Focus and Hyundai all at the same time but MG have done it somehow.

The Chinese Great Wall 4x4 line, has definitely moved upmarket since it first came over here. There was another brand over here, Chery. That bomed.
MG looks good. It'll be like Hyundai, much quicker though.

Last edited:
They have managed for the past decade to consistently make the entire range look nothing like MG's.

MG created a response to those asking "why can't electric cars look like conventional cars?". Unfortunately, they went too far in the opposite direction and released an EV (The MG5 Estate) with one of the most vanilla designs on sale today. :boggled:
mg5_front_3q_charging.jpg

mg5_rear_3q_hero.jpg

img_9114.jpg

I didn't know it was possible for a car to look like a Maserati, Ford Focus and Hyundai all at the same time but MG have done it somehow.

Without even reading your comment I went through those exact thoughts in that order.

I think I prefer viewing MG as the 20th century roadster builder. Nothing exists after that.

VXR
The Chinese sure do generic video game cars better than anyone else. I like it, though.
Because they take the ‘video game car’ route in car design. I.e., play fast and loose with copyright to lift designs from multiple competitors.

Without even reading your comment I went through those exact thoughts in that order.

I think I prefer viewing MG as the 20th century roadster builder. Nothing exists after that.
Some of the last Rover-MGs weren’t bad. ZT, ZR, TF... the remnants of BL were actually finally starting to turn themselves around. Shame they got sold and gutted just as things were looking positive.

Last edited:
How can it 'beat' the WRX when its not 4wd???

I do get where the MG brand is going with the MG5 EV and the ZS EV thing.

What would it take for a British conglomerate to buy this company back from the Chinese and actually make something out of it?

Hahh lol good luck with that. The UK is obviously not in good shape what with the EU and all. Further most of the companies that where bought out as a result of 2008... ie. with JLR going to India, Volvo, LDV and all these going to China, none of the original countries have the will or money or need to buy back their brands.

eg. I think JLR was bought by Tata for $4 bn?

JLR has grown the business many fold so they are worth $20 bn plus now.

So what company in the UK wants to buy back JLR? Further, the motor business is not really good business to be in at all.

I personally think a lot of brands are dead brands walking.

How much is an Volvo or MG really worth??? Are they likely to see much growth?

A company like JLR obviously has growth and brand worth/recognition but MG???

To me they were famous for their MGB and that stuff. But these new MGs are nothing like that.

Yeah, MG managed to get a bit of brand equity in the early 2000s before the money ran out, but anything since hasn't been strictly linked to any of that success and it was very much localised to the UK, at that.

Is the WRX that fast? The MG wouldn't match the STI, but maybe the WRX. I think some FFs can give a WRX a run.

This brand reminds me more of Proton than the MG of old.

lmao I see they learned from Mini to not actually do the correct union jack

Woooow, I never noticed those Mini signals but yeah that's really confusing. Kinda surprised that's legal. It's literally showing an arrow pointing the other way which instinctively could be very confusing.

As for MG, I'm rather upset that nobody in the UK has been able to own the company (same as how I'm disappointed in Chrysler) but whatever. Has there been any effort to repatriate the MG brand?

Last edited:
Woooow, I never noticed those Mini signals but yeah that's really confusing. Kinda surprised that's legal. It's literally showing an arrow pointing the other way which instinctively could be very confusing.

What's even more bizarre is that from what I recall the Euro spec models have the indicators within the horizontal bar of the flag shape so it isn't an issue.

Last edited:
Look, Ma!No steering wheel!"

Cyberster is an all-electric take on the drop-top, two-door, two-seat sports car with MG tipped to pitch it on price against rival Mazda MX-5 at circa $40,000. Whether a yoke-based steering system (similar to an aircraft) complies with Australian Design Rules or not is yet to be determined.

To facilitate yoke steering, that essentially pivots through possibly 200 degrees of rotation, variable ratio steering would be needed to allow the car to turn sharply for parking and tight manoeuvres at full lock.
No specific details of the battery-electric powertrain have been confirmed but a single electric traction engine and smaller battery with a range of about 400km seem most likely. For the car to achieve supercar performance would demand twin electric motors and a large 90kWh battery, at least.

More likely is what MG recently unveiled under the MG4 hatchback in China with an EV powertrain claimed to be capable of a 0-100km/h sprint in 4.0 seconds. It will be offered with rear-wheel drive on a dedicated pure electric platform which would provide a perfect base for Cyberster, geared to suit a sports car application with an eye on weight.

Using a traditional roadster configuration with rear wheel drive, information obtained by GoAuto suggests Cyberster will be manufactured from the get-go in right- and left-hand drive. The final layout will be determined by battery size, shape and installation which will also dictate range and outright performance.

MG is keeping a lid on much of its specification, but enough information has surfaced to get a pretty good picture of what is already a keenly anticipated car.

Last edited:
As for MG, I'm rather upset that nobody in the UK has been able to own the company (same as how I'm disappointed in Chrysler) but whatever. Has there been any effort to repatriate the MG brand?
No one wanted the brand back in 2005, i doubt anyone wants it - or could afford it now.

I don't think anyone in the UK accociates the current range of MG's as a continuation of the lineage of what you'd think of when you hear the name 'MG'. MGF aside, BL followed by Rover diluted the name by sticking MG badges on lightly warmed over hatchbacks and saloons. When the Chinese took over - or resurrected the brand and put the badge on the current range of decidedly pedestrian cars, the name no longer has any relevence.

Hopefully this new sportscar might make MGs more MG. If anything ever comes of it. It certainly looks the part 👍

I'm not sure a yoke is the way forward either, its just a marketing gimmick. It's largely unliked on Teslas. MG's aren't bought by people who want to be different. Unless the Cyberster is going to be a hardcore track-oriented sportscar, in the mold of an Elise or one of the more hardcore Boxter/Caymans - which it isn't unless they don't want it to sell in any volumes, its going to be bought by people who just want a steering wheel. If the 'yoke' makes it to production i bet it will end up as little more than a traditional wheel with a slightly squared off top and bottom.

Last edited:
No one wanted the brand back in 2005, i doubt anyone wants it - or could afford it now.

I don't think anyone in the UK accociates the current range of MG's as a continuation of the lineage of what you'd think of when you hear the name 'MG'. MGF aside, BL followed by Rover diluted the name by sticking MG badges on lightly warmed over hatchbacks and saloons. When the Chinese took over - or resurrected the brand and put the badge on the current range of decidedly pedestrian cars, the name no longer has any relevence.

Hopefully this new sportscar might make MGs more MG. If anything ever comes of it. It certainly looks the part 👍

I'm not sure a yoke is the way forward either, its just a marketing gimmick. It's largely unliked on Teslas. MG's aren't bought by people who want to be different. Unless the Cyberster is going to be a hardcore track-oriented sportscar, in the mold of an Elise or one of the more hardcore Boxter/Caymans - which it isn't unless they don't want it to sell in any volumes, its going to be bought by people who just want a steering wheel. If the 'yoke' makes it to production i bet it will end up as little more than a traditional wheel with a slightly squared off top and bottom.
Yeah that never happened before ..
620082.jpg
car2.jpg

MG started out by making mildly warmed over Morris cars, so there was a precedent. Also it was the Rover group that stopped using the MG name on anything but the roadsters. Only for post BMW, MG Rover to start doing it again.

Back