Miata sized Toyota Sports Car in development

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 174 comments
If you're trying to illustrate that a mid-engined sports car would be more expensive to build, then I need no convincing - I've already agreed with you on that.

To nit-pick, I doubt a new mid-engined sports car would necessarily be appreciably more expensive to build, but a new mid-engined sports car would be higher priced, as the new engineering, facilities and tooling required would be rolled into the final selling price.

Otherwise, completely agreed with you.

This is not news. Toyota acquired the platform from BMW. It's going to be a FR roadster like the Z cars.

To nit-pick, I doubt a new mid-engined sports car would necessarily be appreciably more expensive to build, but a new mid-engined sports car would be higher priced, as the new engineering, facilities and tooling required would be rolled into the final selling price.

Otherwise, completely agreed with you.
Sorry, yes. "Build" was both a bit general and also the wrong word. It's the extraneous costs of manufacturing something very different from existing vehicles that increases cost. I suspect, if a company exclusively built mid-engined cars, then tooling up for a front-wheel drive vehicle would be equally expensive.

The S660 kei car above is an interesting one though. By kei car standards I presume it's reasonably expensive, though once you translate the currently weakish Yen against the strong Pound I bet it comes out depressingly cheap (the entry price of a GT86 in Japan is around £14,000 or something daft at the moment).

However, kei cars are literally a law unto themselves and not really representative of manufacturing elsewhere. In context, it's a great example to illustrate that one sole mid-engined car out of a lineup is more expensive than its alternatively-arranged equivalents, even if it uses mechanically similar components. The Honda Japan website says it's 1.98 million Yen. Versus 1.38m for an N-BOX Slash, 1.16m for an N-WGN, 1.18 for an N-ONE and 1.27 for an N-BOX. That's quite a bit.

@mustafur is right here. Kei cars are a niche unique to Japan and it operates like a whole market in itself. The S660 isn't so much evidence of a market for inexpensive mid-engined sports cars, as it is evidence of a market for sports cars in general, just squeezed within a very specific niche that rules out other types of sports car for those without their own parking space...
This is not news. Toyota acquired the platform from BMW. It's going to be a FR roadster like the Z cars.
That's the case for the larger Toyota sports car being built, but I'm not sure it applies to the smaller one. Unless they use the 1-series platform or something, but that seems like hard work when they could use a scaled-down version of their own 86.

I do know the S660 also doesn't require much safety equipment as in Japan Kei cars have similar safety requirments as Motorbikes from memory.

This would drive the price a bit lower, which would increase the price for sure if they were to be introduced into markets such as UK, North America and Australia for example.

I remember when the Daihatsu Copen Sold in Australia it was quite expensive despite it having a conventional FWD layout, but it also was part of the Premium Kei car segment the S660 falls in.

Because most new cars sold in Japan are Kei cars due to their parking and tax advantages you then start to develop niches in that segment as even wealthy customers understand the benefits of such a class of car, so it makes sense.

Either way to be back on topic, i think all signs point to a Smaller sized RWD coupe thats possibly B Segment and maybe will use a more conventional engine from the Toyota family this time to drive costs down.

I really hope the 2.0T from the lexus NX gets used though even if in detune form, A Turbo would be good choice this time.

I think the Kei car route will probably be a no go though as to make a S660 competitor it will cost fairly similar to the GT86, bringing the Sprinter nameplate out of retirement would be good.

Last edited:
Scion are using the 2sedan. It's possible the Toyota Mini Sports Car(MSC) could use the 1.5L Mazda engine. Maybe a Toyota hybrid for an RZ version.

I'm still intrigued to learn what "real steel" is too.

It means: Made from recycled anvils.

honestly you can't get much slower then the Current GT86 and still claim sports credentials.

Surely it will be a 2 Seater though if they want to make it smaller.

What the hell do people want anymore? You want inexpensive and light, but you want 400 horsepower and then you wind up with SUV-mobiles or $80K four-door coupes. The Mazda Miata qualifies and it has less than 200 horsepower, no?

Yes, two door...but this means MR2 (not a bad car at all) but that didn't sell well enough.

It means: Made from recycled anvils.

What the hell do people want anymore? You want inexpensive and light, but you want 400 horsepower and then you wind up with SUV-mobiles or $80K four-door coupes. The Mazda Miata qualifies and it has less than 200 horsepower, no?

Yes, two door...but this means MR2 (not a bad car at all) but that didn't sell well enough.

Miata is around same speed as the 86 though, what it lacks in power is made up for lightness, this car though will have to be slower then the 86 if it is to be sold under it.

Miata is around same speed as the 86 though, what it lacks in power is made up for lightness, this car though will have to be slower then the 86 if it is to be sold under it.
What if, this'll blow your mind to smithereens, they want to focus on driving fun over power, like the 86, and leave the power upgrades to tuners, like the 86

What if, this'll blow your mind to smithereens, they want to focus on driving fun over power, like the 86, and leave the power upgrades to tuners, like the 86
Im not an idiot, but my point stands it can't claim much sports credentials just fun credentials.

Im not an idiot, but my point stands it can't claim much sports credentials just fun credentials.
And why can't it claim sports credentials? What's the arbitrary 0-60 number that disallows a car being considered a sports car, if the sub-7 second one the BreezFrees has is already pushing it?

Last edited:
And why can't it claim sports credentials? What's the arbitrary 0-60 number that disallows a car being considered a sports car, if the sub-7 second one the BreezFrees has is already pushing it?
I would say it's more track times related.

The idea of a Sport.

But to each their own I guess.

Rumor is 3 sports car one under the frs and one higher (supra)

Though for all his pushing Akio Toyoda still has to deal with the boring fools at TM, and last thing they want is sports anything.

A sports car would be a 370Z, 911, Cayman, Elise. An MX-5, 86, this new car in the works, are "sporty" cars. The limits could be reached on the road in fast/spirited driving.

A sports car would need a track to pretty much reach the limits in fast driving.

I'm curious where you guys intend to draw the line on performance metrics or racetrack abilities without disqualifying a bunch of 20th-century sportscars or allowing modern V6 FWD family sedans into the category. Splitting the definition by model year wouldn't be a terribly elegant solution, either.

I'm curious where you guys intend to draw the line on performance metrics or racetrack abilities without disqualifying a bunch of 20th-century sportscars or allowing modern V6 FWD family sedans into the category. Splitting the definition by model year wouldn't be a terribly elegant solution, either.
Generally a typical family sedan might be decent in straight line performance, but with average Suspention, Brakes and Rubber on the corners even the slower sports cars will walk them on any corner.

Laptimes aren't all about corners, of course, and it also depends on what "slower sportscars" you have in mind. I'm guessing a Toyota Prius would outlap a Porsche 356 almost anywhere.

Laptimes aren't all about corners, of course, and it also depends on what "slower sportscars" you have in mind. I'm guessing a Toyota Prius would outlap a Porsche 356 almost anywhere.
That is Relative to the age it was released though, back then basically every part that was considered Performance level at the time is inferior to what would be in the most basic cars today.

Today that standard is higher so the standard on what is considered "performance" is higher.

I think the term Sports car needs a new Sub Genre.

Like how Hypercar has came from Supercar.

In General Terms Sports car has Always referred to Performance, then you have Sub genres for Body Styles like Super sedans and Hot-hatches.

Maybe another Genre for cars designed for a more leasure experience rather then performance, because an 86 for example is a totally different car to say a 911(it's idea of having Skinny rear tyres to increase it's ability to slide is the complete opposite of performance).

I can say the performance of an 86 as a drift car, is better than the performance of a 911 as a drift car.

There are: roadsters, sports cars, muscle cars, super cars, hot hatches, sport sedans, Hypercars. These are all performance cars.

I can say the performance of an 86 as a drift car, is better than the performance of a 911 as a drift car.

There are: roadsters, sports cars, muscle cars, super cars, hot hatches, sport sedans, Hypercars. These are all performance cars.
I would say the performance of a VF V6 Commodore ute as a drift car would be better then 911 as well, doesn't make it even close to a Sports car though.

Car in question:
wallpaper_04.htm
Holden-VF_Commodore_Ute_2014_photo_05.jpg

175KW V6 RWD LSD pickup with Manual transmission and no weight in the back.

Last edited:
A sports car is a sports car. However fast or slow it is.

It's like arguing about the definition of a "supercar" or a "hypercar"... they're all made up terms with subjective definitions... though at least "sports car" has a very concrete body definition...

"Low slung (subjective), usually roofless, with one or two seats, lightweight (subjective), high powered (subjective), purpose-built for high-speed driving (subjective)."

...though when you remove any item that leaves wiggle room, you're left with this:

"One or two seats."

Ergo: A Mini Coupe JCW qualifies. A Porsche 911, with two and two-half seats, doesn't (the 911 is considered by some as a Sports GT, and if we're talking the GT2 or Turbo, some suggest "super car" is more appropriate... and it probably is). :D

-

Whatever Toyota builds, it will be built for performance driving, and if it's a two-seater, it can rightly be considered as a sports car. Probably a very slow one, as far as sports cars go, but still a sports car.

It's a Ute. In the utility category of cars. Now, the HSV Maloo would be a Muscle car. A Raptor or F-150 Lightning or Toyota Tacoma TRD X-Runner, GMC Sylclone. Those are sports trucks/utes.

In Best Motoring with the new 350Z, Gan-San felt it wasn't a sports car. It may be good for sporty driving but, not a true sports car. The same was said about the NC MX-5. it's good for sporty driving. Just opinions for sure but, in this category, if this new car is anything less than the 86, I'd agree it would be in a category above the Copen.

Well, my ideal car is a Caterham. Seeing as how I'm not spending $78kAUD on one of those, it ain't happening. The MX-5 will do me fine.

Nissan attempted something similar back in 2006 with the URGE concept. I hope Toyota's model does actually become a thing.

URGe-car2-773814.jpg

^ That's not a concept car. It's a fat gokart. Like most of Nissans concepts.

Honestly, I may consider buying this concept thing when it comes out, over the gt86 if it's under 25 grand AU. I love the 86 with a passion but it's just a tad out of my price bracket, especially considering I want some money left over to tinker around with it.

The problem is toyota seem to be going the CVT only route.

The Japanese really need to get it through their heads that no one wants CVT junk.

If you must go auto get a ZF unit or get a double clutch.

Back