Microcars and Bubblecars

• Thread starter Populuxe
  • 278 comments
The world of Neigbourhood Electric Vehicles (NEVs) and quadricycles is the gift that keeps on giving when it comes to microcars. Just discovered the "Dynasty":

dynasty1.JPG

dynasty2.jpg

Caught my attention mainly for its unusual styling - it almost looks like there's some Beetle/mk1 Audi TT influence. It's under 1500lbs, but performance is pretty low - 25mph and 30-mile range. Designed and built in Pakistan so it's clearly designed for different markets from our own.

The world of Neigbourhood Electric Vehicles (NEVs) and quadricycles is the gift that keeps on giving when it comes to microcars. Just discovered the "Dynasty":

dynasty1-jpg.776136

dynasty2-jpg.776137

Caught my attention mainly for its unusual styling - it almost looks like there's some Beetle/mk1 Audi TT influence. It's under 1500lbs, but performance is pretty low - 25mph and 30-mile range. Designed and built in Pakistan so it's clearly designed for different markets from our own.
It looks absolutely massive sat next to that 914.

I think everything looks massive next to a 914. That's basically two seats and a motor!

1981-1984 Gurgel XEF, a Brazilian microcar that used Volkswagen parts, making 50hp.

7a84d6f740c283ed631be56011c28417.jpg

First learned of that car earlier this year. Fascinating thing. Bits of off-the-shelf Mercedes parts cobbled together around a VW drivetrain and fiberglass panels. Ought to be sprightly considering how small and light it is.

The Gargamel XEF reminds me of the Willy Wonka elevator.

I'm also stuck looking at it. It's like that scene when Mos Def can't stop staring at Skinny Pete, in The Italian Job.

Georges Mochet built a tiny automotive empire in post-war France by, at first, offering a small pedal-car. He quickly moved to a 125cc 2-stroke from Zurcher under the seat, small enough to allow people to drive them without needing a driver's license. His cars gained a small following allowing him to produce his microcars for several years. The final CM-125Y used an Ydral engine in either 125cc or 175cc (required a license.)

1948 Mochet Type K

1949 Mochet Type K

1951 Mochet CM-125 Luxe

1952 Mochet CM-125 Luxe

1952 Mochet CM-125 Commerciale

1953 Mochet CM-125 Grand Luxe

1954 Mochet CM-125 Luxe

1954 Mochet CM-125 Luxe

1956 Mochet CM-125Y Berline

1956 Mochet CM-125Y Camionette

A short-lived, relatively recent take on the microcar concept: the 4 Stroke Rumen.

The-Rumen-by-4-Stroke-7.jpg

The-Rumen-by-4-Stroke-14.jpg

The-Rumen-by-4-Stroke.jpg

The-Rumen-by-4-Stroke-1.jpg

Designed to look like the teardrop cars of the 1930s. Power from a first-gen Toyota Aygo/Citroen C1/Peugeot 107 (albeit rear-mounted), with the automated manual transmission option from the same (and a few subtly-integrated components in the interior too, such as the heating controls - though the pedals look like those from a Smart Fortwo to me).

I don't think it ever went to market however and the brand appears to be defunct - the website no longer exists. Given the price was expected to be in the $70k region according to this website, that's possibly not surprising.

And much as I like the idea, I'm less keen on the execution - I don't think the exterior is particularly successful. Something a little more subtle, akin to the Fiat Topolino but with modern mechanicals, might have worked better.

It took me entirely too long to figure out what it was when I first saw one some time back.

I enjoy the styling with the more minimalist fenders.

I seem to recall there was an open variant as well, but I can't find anything to support that.

Edit: So, there was a semi-open variant...

4_Stroke_Rumen_8.jpg

I don't know how many were made in this configuration, but there seem to be at least two unless the same vehicle was repainted at some point.

Last edited:
1957-1964 Scootacar

This was a British-built, three wheeled microcar that was allegedly built because the wife of one of the directors wanted "something easier to park than her Jaguar". It was powered by a 250cc two-stroke and had a top speed of 68mph. Roughly 1000 were made in eight years.​

Another microcar from France's austere postwar years. The Ardex was made in a tiny shop in Nanterre from 1952 to 1955. It had a body made of vinyl stretched over plywood. The engines were singles of 50cc (shown), 100cc or 125cc, all made by Société Anonyme BriBan (S.A.B.B). Very few were made.

Definitely a microcar.

6b8bf9b9f4a745d356155fe77e6a0c75.jpg
1956 Arbet. Hand built between 1945 and 1956 by a machinist named Arliss who lived in Bellingham, Washington. He combined his name with his wife's name of Beth to get Arbet. He put 14,000 miles (22,000 km) on it. At 88.75 inches long, 40 inches wide and 38.5 inches tall (225.5 x 101.6 x 97.8 cm), it is recognized by the Guiness Book of World Records as the smallest road legal car in the world. Only the one car was built. It is now with its second owner.

Last edited:
Another microcar from France's austere postwar years. The Ardex was made in a tiny shop in Nanterre from 1952 to 1955. It had a body made of vinyl stretched over plywood. The engines were singles of 50cc (shown), 100cc or 125cc, all made by Société Anonyme BriBan (S.A.B.B). Very few were made.

Add a squirrel for some boost.

Back