Microsoft Buys Bethesda

New rumors that MS could be after another game company.. a Japan company this time.

I don't believe it. But than I would not belive Zenimax could fall under MS a week ago either.

There's been talk floating around that Sony is looking at buying Konami too, but then again that's probably just speculation that Sony is going to make a counter-move to the Bethesda purchase. The rumor mill has gone into double overdrive the last couple of days.

The amount of people that think multi-billion euro enterprises react to competitors in a schoolyard fashion is really endearing. :lol:

Doesnt sound good for playstation owners who like skyrim. Seems they could become exclusives.
That's not what Spencer said.

He said they don't have to sell Bethesda games to other platforms in order to "make the deal work". He also said "This deal was not done to take games away from another player base like that.".

"Obviously I can't sit here and say every Bethesda game is [an Xbox] exclusive, because we know that's not true. There's contractual obligations that we're going to see through. We have games that exist on other platforms and we're going to go and support those games on the platforms they're on. There's communities of players - we love those communities and will continue to invest in them - and even in the future there might be... either contractual things or legacy on different platforms that we'll go do."

"But if you're an Xbox customer, the thing I want you to know is this is about delivering great exclusive games for you that ship on platforms where Game Pass exists. And that's our goal, that's why we're doing this, that's the root of this partnership that we're building - and the creative capability we'll be able to bring to market for Xbox customers is going to be the best it's ever been for Xbox after we're done here."
The current contractual obligations would be Deathloop and GhostWire: Tokyo, which I think are timed exclusives for PS5.

There's a mild opening there in the first paragraph for continuing to sell things like TES and Fallout on PlayStation (this stretches the definition of "legacy", but it's plausible), but otherwise it looks like Bethesda is fully Xbox now.

Over 20 games added to GamePass today following this acquisition. I also managed to buy a Series X this morning so good times ahead :)

PS although can't pick it up from Argos until Tuesday..

Last edited:
Back