Midlife crisis much? My mom wants a sports car?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Boz Mon
  • 55 comments
  • 6,384 views
Messages
1,478
So can females with 2 kids have a midlife crisis? My parents bought a new 2009 Honda Civic EX last year, and my mom hates the thing ( I dont blame her because of the horrendous blind spots). She randomly came into my room yesterday and was like "I want a new car.....a sports car" She really wants a Mini but she says its too small. Her criteria are pretty simple, 4 seats, 2 doors, convertibles are a plus, and I would assume a price range of somewhere in the neighborhood of 25k. SHe also told me that if she likes it she doesnt care what my dad thinks, but regardless, American made cars are out.

So far, my ideas have been this:
BMW 3 series
Audi TT
She also asked about a Porshce Boxter, and a Honda S2000 but when she figured out that they only have 2 seats so she was out.

I'm not really sure what else to look into. Maybe some Infinities? I think something quirky and rare would be kinda cool, but I really dont know where to start on this one.
 
I doubt a TT has much more space in the back then a Mini.

Are you talking used or only new?

Can you even get a brand new 3-Series vert, or TT for that matter, for under $25k?
 
Not sure any new cars meet her criteria.
 
Used for sure. I know theres no way you can a new Bimmer for 25k.
 
A convertible in Chicago?

I'm guessing Mustang, but Civics have decent handling characteristics, so the 'stang might put her off. I'm guessing this is a backlash to the lack of power (which a mustang would cure). I would recommend a Civic SI but if she's made her mind up about civics she's probably not going to like that.

Edit: I'm taking the term "sports car" with a grain of salt here.
 
Yea, mustangs are out. I doubt the Si would suffice. They actually looked at them when they bought the current civic but for some reason they didnt want one.
 
3 series.

I am personally against 4 seater convertibles on principle, because no one looks good in the back seat with the top down, and the car doesn't look right either.

Despite that view, an M3 (E46) convertible would be the end all of this thread, I think. Lexus and Infiniti did not offer their convertible G series and IS models till just recently, so I doubt those would be in the price range yet. A 135i convertible might work as well, but the back seat is rather small, but functional.
 
At least she's not looking for a 'pool boy' :lol::lol:
 
Eclipse GS Spyder is close. 28k brand new.
 
I'm going on record as recommending against a convertible. There, I've said it.
 
Eclipse GS Spyder is close. 28k brand new.

You call that a sports car? 3500lb tank with 160 hp?

I'm going on record as recommending against a convertible. There, I've said it.

I more or less second this. Unless its an S2000, MR-S, or Z4 Roadster.
 
You call that a sports car? 3500lb tank with 160 hp?

I don't. But I'm going to guess it qualifies in the eyes of OPs mother. Not that I'm stereotyping or anything.
 
2006_MercedesBenz_CLK-ClassConv_ext_1.jpg
ws0175-t.jpg

Don't forget a used CLK or even older E320 convetible. But my choice would be an M3 convertible if it would have to be a 4 seater.

2005_BMW_M3Convertible_ext_1.jpg
 
Last edited:
BMW 3 Series. E46 330Ci's are strong, good little cars w/ some kick.

The E92 series, though, she may have to spend a little more. Most E92s in her range are the 4-door models. With enough research, she may be able to find a 328i, but the 335i's still hold their value.
 
I don't. But I'm going to guess it qualifies in the eyes of OPs mother. Not that I'm stereotyping or anything.

But you are. Grossly so, given that the Civic has the same power and weighs 500 pounds less I believe.

330Ci would be a sound choice as well. Again, it seems everyone is suggesting a 3 series...
 
In my mind the best car for this is s4 convertible.
 
Why a sports car? Is she looking for performance, styling, look-at-me-I-have-a-midlife-crisis-and-I-want-everyone-to-notice?
 
She should get a VW Bug convertible, the one with all those flowers ! :lol:
 
But you are.

Obviously. Given that a V6 Stang/Sebring vert are 'Merican and the Miata has but two seats, I wasn't left with much to fill the stereotype was I?

That being said, the damn thing still fits the parameters more closely than anything else mentioned.

4 Seats
2 Doors
Convertible
New

Something tells me this person isn't quite an enthusiast and isn't looking for somehting to auto cross or race from stop light to stoplight with. I'm being realistic.
 
A late 90's and early 2000's BMW M5.
It's a rare car in red.
It has 4 doors and 2 seats although it lacks a convertible top.
It also cost around $15K to $25K
 
My mom is 60 and recently got a Mazda Miata. So yeah it does happen. :p
 
Thanks for the help guys! This thread is helping me get some good ideas. The S4 is a good option (one of my co-workers just bought a 3.2 quattro). I did have some other random non-convertable, not related to one and other, car ideas today just driving around. Here they are in no particular order:
1. Kia Forte Koup-I like these cars, and I think she would to. The only bad part is the kia reputation behind it, I'm not sure she'd go for it.

2. TSX-Not sure on prices for this one, but I could most likely get dads backing on this seeing as how he likes the Honda/Acura reliability and build quality.

3. I'm gonna throw the Mini back on the table mainly because we rarely go anywhere in the current Civic to make the small backseat much of an inconvenience. We'll see what happens here.

4. I am also going to throw the Mustang idea down and see where she takes it. I know the new 6's are gonna be pretty BA. But on the other hand it is american :-(

5. Lastly, my favorite and a car that always catches my eye on the road...A Volvo C30. Its a little hatchback and I really like it, but not sure on the backseat space or what they sell for. I'm going to throw it out again and see where it goes.

I am going to get a definite budget tonight, and keep watching this thread and responding to it as needed. Thanks for the help guys!


Edit: I forgot one car: Hyundai Genesis Coup-Just like the Kia, but a Hyundai.
 
I think the Kia Forte isn't supposed to be a very good car. The guys at Autoblog said it had a bit of room for improvement or something. And it's usually never a good thing when journalists criticize a car as a whole.
 
The only thing I kind of like from that current list is the C30, and thats just because its quirky.

Making me sad :p
 
I'm going on record as recommending against a convertible. There, I've said it.

I second this also. Get a E46 M3, I highly doubt you will regret it. :D
 
1. Kia Forte Koup-I like these cars, and I think she would to. The only bad part is the kia reputation behind it, I'm not sure she'd go for it.

Apparently they're actually quite rubbish, mainly to do with the engine which is appallingly sluggish even for a Kia. And yes, it is a Kia. Resale value may not be a huge factor but it WILL be bad.

2. TSX-Not sure on prices for this one, but I could most likely get dads backing on this seeing as how he likes the Honda/Acura reliability and build quality.

My dad has one of these (badged as the Honda Accord Euro) and it does have quite a bit going for it. Having driven it myself, to be honest the engine could be a bit more peppy but for daily driving it would suffice. The 6-speed manual is great, nice and smooth, and the front seats are verrrry comfortable. The back seats on the other hand....aren't. And there's not really that much leg room.

5. Lastly, my favorite and a car that always catches my eye on the road...A Volvo C30. Its a little hatchback and I really like it, but not sure on the backseat space or what they sell for. I'm going to throw it out again and see where it goes.

These are actually quite nice and not terribly expensive but the best engine to go for is the T5 (Focus ST/XR5 Turbo 5-cylinder turbocharged).

Edit: I forgot one car: Hyundai Genesis Coup-Just like the Kia, but a Hyundai.

One of only two Korean cars I would bother buying; the other being its predecessor the Tiburon. Only because they haven't been built to as small a budget as 99% of the other Korean cars...
 
Walk-in with $25,000 and drive out in this:


[/thread]
 
How about an Infiniti G37? I test drove one one day, it's a good car. If that's too expensive, your mom can go for a G35. You can find pretty good bargains on those.
 
Back