UNFINISHED EDITS - leeislee

• Thread starter leeislee
  • 385 comments
They're called actions...you record yourself doing something and you can "Play" it back. Basically it saves time.

The actions i made for that video only involve a few steps. Using the actions saved me about a minute!

You should look into them if you use Photoshop. It's a godsend.

Could you use Nero as an example and sort of outline your process for it?

Could you use Nero as an example and sort of outline your process for it?
Of course i can...

Ok, so instead of typing it out i made a quick video that will probably get a good 2 or 3 views!

Watch it and behold just how average this technique is. It's simple and fast compared to my complex and full edits!

Just to clear something up...for some strange reason i state i don't like using gradient Adjustment Layers in the video...what i meant to say was, for this technique, i didn't use any. Just for the record, i LOVE adjustment layers!

Last edited:
Very nice Lee, it's great to see your process mate. 👍

'Recall' is a nice simple piece, the base shot it very nice which is a great starting point. Also interesting you flatten your layers as you go. Is that to keep the file small and speedy to use? I rarely if ever do that myself so I end up with a lot of layers. ;) But I just like having all the work from start to finish separated. Although I don't use the adjustment layers as much either, but I should.

Your gradient examples are as you say, very quick and effective. I love actions too. I have a base set I use all the time, shortcuts for duplicate layer, merge, crop and couple others. But also a few other mutli ones. Still find it amazing the stuff you create in such little time, most of edits I do if even basic take much more time than a few mins. Generally at least 30-60mins and bigger or complex ones much more. :crazy:

Cheers for making a the videos they are great. And nice to hear your voice, as usual my idea of what people may sound like and what they actually sound like are very different. :lol: :cheers:

PS. Looks like I should get myself a copy of Knoll light factory. Looks awesome.

GPR
Very nice Lee, it's great to see your process mate. 👍

'Recall' is a nice simple piece, the base shot it very nice which is a great starting point. Also interesting you flatten your layers as you go. Is that to keep the file small and speedy to use? I rarely if ever do that myself so I end up with a lot of layers. ;) But I just like having all the work from start to finish separated. Although I don't use the adjustment layers as much either, but I should.

Your gradient examples are as you say, very quick and effective. I love actions too. I have a base set I use all the time, shortcuts for duplicate layer, merge, crop and couple others. But also a few other mutli ones. Still find it amazing the stuff you create in such little time, most of edits I do if even basic take much more time than a few mins. Generally at least 30-60mins and bigger or complex ones much more. :crazy:

Cheers for making a the videos they are great. And nice to hear your voice, as usual my idea of what people may sound like and what they actually sound like are very different. :lol: :cheers:

PS. Looks like I should get myself a copy of Knoll light factory. Looks awesome.
Thanks George...

When i do more complex edits, ones that actually involve moving the pixels around i never flatten my image. In fact a lot of my more heavy edits often run well over a Gig because i leave loads of layers as i like to be able to track back and reuse or fix things as my mood changes.

For these very fast mood edits i tend to flatten them in stages. When i get the light right i move on to colours ect. But to be honest...most of my recent speed edits are still full of layers, Old habits die hard so they say.

As for the gradient thing, it's more of a fast choice really. By the time i've set the gradient adjustment layer or messed about in the gradient window setting up the colours i could have just dragged it all in myself and saved a lot of time and effort!

I too have plenty of actions set up, it's amazing how simple the tedious side of editing can become by using actions. I normally start with my 'Go To' action to see where that gets me and then i take it from there.

These fast edits do take minutes but a lot of that is down to the 7 or 8 years i've been using Photoshop so i know exactly what to do and how to achieve the look in my head...Photoshop is like talking now, second nature. But, yeah, like you say, the more heavy the editing the more time it takes.

I've taught myself over the years that sometimes an hour or so a day is better than 6 or 7 hours in one go but man, there are those edits that you just can't stop! hehe

My voice is terrible, my asthma is chronic hence my slightly breathy timbre!

Knoll Light Factory is good...but it's full of terrible flares, but again with a few tweaks you can get nice results.

As for the video, i've always wanted to do screen captures but i've only recently got round to figuring it out!

Last edited:
If anyone has any questions or needs some help with something editing related let me know and i'll try and knock up a video.

I think i'll make more videos, i like making them and i bet the one viewer likes watching it! hehe

If anyone has any questions or needs some help with something editing related let me know and i'll try and knock up a video.

I think i'll make more videos, i like making them and i bet the one viewer likes watching it! hehe
Hi Lee

Just two questions or maybe a few more if you don't mind?
1.Do you only edit in Photoshop? (Reason for asking is that I only have Lightroom - Been using it for about a year now) About a month or 2 ago I got Gimp and I also purchased Elements 5 as I have read that they go nice hand in hand?
Anyway I need to get some sort of workflow for them as they are still so new to me regarding layers & such. (Watched the video and I'm sure some of the thing you have done there will work in Gimp)
2. A question I asked recently in my Gallery is how does one get the blacks, blacker or glossier? I know I can play with contrast, clarity and the toning sliders for highlights, shadows etc.
Any tips is welcome even though I think it is not your style? Might be wrong but will ask anyway.

Thank you for making the video I certainly picked up a bunch of tips (dropping all the blue's and how to add the red of the taillights back in for example)

Ps. I liked the music in the video - know what it is/was?

👍
:cheers: Thx

Hi Lee

Just two questions or maybe a few more if you don't mind?
1.Do you only edit in Photoshop? (Reason for asking is that I only have Lightroom - Been using it for about a year now) About a month or 2 ago I got Gimp and I also purchased Elements 5 as I have read that they go nice hand in hand?
Anyway I need to get some sort of workflow for them as they are still so new to me regarding layers & such. (Watched the video and I'm sure some of the thing you have done there will work in Gimp)
2. A question I asked recently in my Gallery is how does one get the blacks, blacker or glossier? I know I can play with contrast, clarity and the toning sliders for highlights, shadows etc.
Any tips is welcome even though I think it is not your style? Might be wrong but will ask anyway.

Thank you for making the video I certainly picked up a bunch of tips (dropping all the blue's and how to add the red of the taillights back in for example)

Ps. I liked the music in the video - know what it is/was?

👍
:cheers: Thx
Yeah i only use Photoshop. I do have Lightroom but Photoshop can do everything that Lightroom can so i always stick to Photoshop. But, Lightroom is awesome and is great for editing.

I don't have Gimp but i have used it and yes, it is pretty much a free Photoshop so i guess almost everything that can be done in Photoshop can also be done in Gimp, just various names of tools and menus are different that's all.

Layers are incredibly important. They allow you to work to an amazing level that you just can't get with working on the original picture.

Blacks from GT6 are terrible. they have all kinds of odd stuff going on in them and they're hard to clean up but saying that, i do have a few tips i could give on getting nice deep blacks with nice shiny highlights.

I'll do another video and post it here, just don't expect a miracle because GT6 has a major black problem! hehe

The music by the way is the Blade Runner soundtrack by Vangelis. It's one of my favourite albums and is great to have in the background.

👍

Sunrise

So, i made another tutorial video, this one is longer and more in depth based on my speed edits. It's well worth a watch if you can bring yourself to sit and cope with me and my voice!

I'd like to think it's full of useful hints and tips but it's probably not!

I really hope you take the time to watch it because I took the time to make it!

Let me know what you think and if it's any help at all!

Anyway...Thanks for looking

👍

Last edited:
I haven't watched your videos yet Lee (busy these last times), but be sure I will. Some tips from you is something I was waiting for ;) So a million thanks in advance because no doubt I will learn a lot of things !!

Great tutorials Lee! 👍 One thing you mentioned that I haven't given a go yet is the Threshold technique. I will definitely try it out.

I also agree that coming up with a name for your image can be difficult at times. Sometimes it comes naturally and other times you just can't think of anything.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to make these videos mate. :cheers:

Really enjoyed the Sunrise video and thank you for doing it Lee.

I was right - So glad you mentioned your own style! "Dreamy" and that this was also something you have not tried before.
There was so much info & tips for a novice (me), that I think I just need to sit down and play with everything I have seen you do, just to see what I can come up with!

You were on a roll with the editing and I think I'm going to get a finger BUT you did not completely answer my question regarding the blacks. There was the tip with regards to black & shadow pixelation fix. The video did start off with my question so I take it you were answering it?

Thank you for the hour of two. I do appreciate it with your asthma and if you think screw SFP that is cool too as you gave me plenty!
I will be following the video's and any other tips regardless!

Thx Again:tup:
SFP

Nice job on the pic and the vid. 👍
👍

I haven't watched your videos yet Lee (busy these last times), but be sure I will. Some tips from you is something I was waiting for ;) So a million thanks in advance because no doubt I will learn a lot of things !!
👍

Great tutorials Lee! 👍 One thing you mentioned that I haven't given a go yet is the Threshold technique. I will definitely try it out.

I also agree that coming up with a name for your image can be difficult at times. Sometimes it comes naturally and other times you just can't think of anything.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to make these videos mate. :cheers:
It's a good technique but doesn't work on all pictures, but it's worth giving it a try! 👍

Really enjoyed the Sunrise video and thank you for doing it Lee.

I was right - So glad you mentioned your own style! "Dreamy" and that this was also something you have not tried before.
There was so much info & tips for a novice (me), that I think I just need to sit down and play with everything I have seen you do, just to see what I can come up with!

You were on a roll with the editing and I think I'm going to get a finger BUT you did not completely answer my question regarding the blacks. There was the tip with regards to black & shadow pixelation fix. The video did start off with my question so I take it you were answering it?

Thank you for the hour of two. I do appreciate it with your asthma and if you think screw SFP that is cool too as you gave me plenty!
I will be following the video's and any other tips regardless!

Thx Again:tup:
SFP
Yeah, i focused more on adding shine for some reason hehe. Sorry about that, i'll add another video as soon as i come up with a way of making the blacks blacker and richer for you.

Awesome vid Lee - much to digest and and even more to use. Thanks:tup:
:bowdown:
👍

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Midnight

Ahhhhh, I think, this is my first photo featuring the Lancia Stratos which is odd because this car is awesome and it's always been one of my favourites.

I often think about a perfect scene, perfect light, perfect architecture, perfect car...just how awesome would it be to actually find yourself there one day?

This is what i imagined as i was thinking or the perfect scene and i pretty much nailed it now that it's finished and i love it!

The Stratos in the picture is actually Matte Grey but using the threshold technique i shared in my last video i made it look shiny. I think it's easier to control the lighting on the car by using Matte paint and making it look metallic in photoshop afterwards.

👍

Lee you are a true artist!! Superb Editing !
Would not mind having these against my wall!
You also managed to work those blacks beautifully! ;) ;)

Lee you are a true artist!! Superb Editing !
Would not mind having these against my wall!
You also managed to work those blacks beautifully! ;) ;)
The technique i used on the black is the same as the one i used in the Beetle tutorial video i posted. i was trying to come up with a new way of doing it but masking the car and treating it seperate from the entire picture is the best way to really clean it up. Some levels, some threshold treatment is all i used.

Thanks for the great words too!

If these speed edits are the way to post more pics in here, then I'm clearly OK with that. Keep up the good awesome work! 👍
Hehe, thanks Nic!

Truly outstanding work leeislee, still great to see you going strong in the GT6 days! Those BMW VGT's shots are the best display of why I think you're one of the best! :) 👍

Truly outstanding work leeislee, still great to see you going strong in the GT6 days! Those BMW VGT's shots are the best display of why I think you're one of the best! :) 👍
Very kind words man. Thanks a million 👍

Wonderful job on your latest pics, they are all awesome! :bowdown: That Lancia photo has great composition and toning! :drool: And the two VGT Bimmer shots are epic too!

On A Perfect Day - Tutorial

Here is another tutorial video yet again rammed full of the worlds greatest hints and tips.......not really but if you watch it and maybe even try it yourself you WILL pick up some new techniques.

If you do follow along then good for you, the only way to learn is to take the time to digest the new information, If you DON'T watch it or follow along then...you've only got yourself to blame!

It's entirely up to you though :)

I really hope you take the time to watch it because I took the time to make it!

Let me know what you think and if it's any help at all!

👍

Love Shadow Blade Lee. Awesome bluish grey cold tones and composition with smooth blurring and great use of light and shadows. 👍 👍

Also great tut for scenery depth. Nice straight forward. Totally agree with your comment on the fact most of what will work on an image may not on another and trial and error is pretty much the way to go. Time and test. Of course it helps to understand how to get what you want from the tools you use. ;)

After seeing this I feel like I often under use some techniques in some images, I should be more mindful of stepping out of my usual set of methods, could make some images even more interesting in the end. 👍

Latest Posts

Back