MidnightRun85's Ride: Black Betti

Last night I went to Ringwood Raceway in Matchams, UK, for the BMW Night 3 and mid-week drifters. There was probably about 120-150 BMW's on show, plus a bunch of other bits and pieces. I knocked off early, got a quick clean and polish in, then made my way (like a mad man on a mission) across the forest to the venue.

She polishes up nicely.
IMG_20170405_164851910.jpg
IMG_20170405_174116107.jpg

There were loads of BMW's on show: from E30's through to F82 M4's, 1ers to 7ers. It was all there.
20170405191342_IMG_5072.JPG

20170405183712_IMG_4904.JPG
20170405183007_IMG_4832.JPG
20170405200459_IMG_5294.JPG
20170405200144_IMG_5272.JPG
20170405200000_IMG_5265.JPG
20170405195934_IMG_5261.JPG
20170405195012_IMG_5184.JPG
20170405192000_IMG_5076.JPG
20170405185830_IMG_5056.JPG
20170405185802_IMG_5054.JPG

The on track action was eventful. Loads of blown tyres, a few prangs, even a driveshaft spat out onto the tarmac!
20170405185326_IMG_5034.JPG
20170405183335_IMG_4886.JPG
20170405183402_IMG_4894.JPG
20170405185020_IMG_5011.JPG
20170405193433_IMG_5122.JPG
20170405195551_IMG_5236.JPG

My favourite car of the night though was this little gem:
20170405195706_IMG_5253.JPG

Did I mention how sweet Black Betti polishes up? ;)
IMG_20170405_174637388.jpg

Big week ahead for Black Betti.

On Friday I'm off to a wreckers in Kent for a driver's wing and bonnet replacement. He has a mint black sapphire compact in at the moment, and I spotted a rust bubble on my wing when I polished her up the other day. Also, I've had a small ding in my bonnet since I've owned her, but I'm too poor to fork out for the repair/repaint. We'll swap the panels over on the day.

He also has a 330i intake manifold and injectors, so I'll pick that up while I'm there. Can't wait to get that fitted, but that will be a few weeks down the line.

The following day I'm heading to KWR Services in Southampton to have my CCV replaced. The parts turned up on Friday. Looking forward to cleaning up the oil system a little bit!

While I'm there I'll get the car up on the lift and finish off the E60 short shift install. Haven't had another go since I dropped the car off the axle stands!

I can't be the only person who thinks this CLK looks fantastic, can I?...

Compact's looking great though. Good call on getting one with the sport bodykit - really suits the car's quirky lines.
And the noise it was making! Must have been a V8, because it was seriously shredding some rubber!!

Thanks for the compliment. I'm pretty happy with it. It's a long-running project, but it's great fun!

Hope everyone had a great Easter break. I used mine to get some work done on Black Betti, get a bit of running training in, and to get some much needed time off as well!

Thursday didn't end well - I curbed my front passenger side alloy when pulling in to park. I got distracted as a phone call came in, looked over at my phone, and heard the scrape. Absolutely heartbroken! I think some silver touch-up paint might be sufficient to hide it for now though.

IMG_20170413_172121029.jpg

On Friday I woke up at the crack of dawn, dragged the missus out of bed, jumped in the car and got on the road. We headed to a BMW breaker in Swanley, Kent, for a few parts I needed from a well looked after 2003 318ti SE. The last time I did a polish job I noticed a big rust bubble on the driver's arch. I asked around and I could either get a brand new panel (non-genuine) for £184 which still needs paint, get it repainted by my local BMW dealer on a hook-ups rate of £150, or spend a good portion of the day in the car, get a panel off a near-identical car which is rust-free, and do the work myself and save some coin! Add to the fact my bonnet has a small ding near the kidney grilles and this donor car has a really good condition bonnet, and it's looking pretty damn attractive! So, for the price of £100, I picked up a new drivers wing and bonnet, fitted them both, and ditched the old panels at the breakers. I swapped my indicator, bonnet emblem, and grilles over to my new panels, and she's looking lovely!

IMG_20170414_101350088.jpg
IMG_20170414_111341803.jpg
IMG_20170414_111349338.jpg

One thing I found in the process was there was a small garden growing in the bottom of the arch! I removed as much as I could remove, which should hopefully keep more of the rust at bay for a while. Now that I know how to remove/replace the wing panels, I might pull off both of them and give them an underseal later in the year when I have a little more time. I'll probably find a garden on the passenger side too!

IMG_20170415_091405694.jpg
IMG_20170415_091356927.jpg

The new bonnet does need a little bit of a touch up though. It looks as though the previous car had been the victim of some harsh treatment around the grilles. Someone has used (probably) a flathead screwdriver to try lever the grille out on the driver's side, which is definitely NOT how you remove them. Maybe potential theft? Anyway, that shouldn't be too difficult to repair, so it's a job for another day.

While I was there I also picked up the injector rail from a 330 inlet manifold. I was going to buy the full manifold, but the guys there recommended just installing the injector rail without doing the full manifold swap. I'm now not so sure...

On Saturday I had her booked in to get the CCV replaced. This was a bit of preventative maintenance, and once my mechanic had pulled all the pipes out, he cut them open and I'm quite glad I've had it done. It was gloopy and fairly clogged up. This should hopefully help the lubrication system flow a bit more freely.

My mechanic recommended we don't install the injector rail alone. It will feed too much fuel into the engine, flooding the engine, increasing bore wear. His recommendation is the entire 330 inlet: manifold, injectors, throttle body, DISA valve, MAF, intake boot, and air filter box, followed by a remap. So this is again on hold.

Once my mechanic had sorted the CCV, he let me finish off my short shift install. It didn't take too long, but reinstalling the circlip on the connector rod took ages! Now that it's installed though, it feels **** hot. Love how quick and efficient the shifts feel!! I'm still getting used to the shifter positions, but it's definitely made a positive change to gear changes!

And the best bit: my mechanic, having just finished rewiring the loom of an 850ci, offered to wire up and recode my angel eyes! And I'm overjoyed with the result.
IMG_20170415_185110820.jpg
IMG_20170415_185116769.jpg

Great stuff, looking clean as a whistle. Be weary of your shifting now, it's probably not so much of an issue as it is in my box which is known to have fragile syncros, but now that you have a shorter throw you need to have some mechanical sympathy when shifting to avoid damaging the syncros.

Great stuff, looking clean as a whistle. Be weary of your shifting now, it's probably not so much of an issue as it is in my box which is known to have fragile syncros, but now that you have a shorter throw you need to have some mechanical sympathy when shifting to avoid damaging the syncros.
When you say "mechanical sympathy" what do you mean exactly? I've noticed it's definitely feeling more solid when shifting - could even describe it as more clunky.

When you say "mechanical sympathy" what do you mean exactly? I've noticed it's definitely feeling more solid when shifting - could even describe it as more clunky.
Your existing gear shifter and the syncros inside your gearbox were designed in such a way that with a normal shift movement of the shifter, the syncros have enough time to properly speed match the gears to allow them to engage smoothly. Now, your typical shift movement is shorter, so the syncros have less time to perform their function.

So what I'm saying is for the sake of your gearbox, when you are just driving around normally use some mechanical sympathy and slow down the movement to allow the syncros time to do their job.

A short shifter has a a similar, although not quite as bad, effect on the gearbox as if you were to start ramming your old shifter in to position quickly, which you wouldn't do because you know it would be causing damage to do so.

Your existing gear shifter and the syncros inside your gearbox were designed in such a way that with a normal shift movement of the shifter, the syncros have enough time to properly speed match the gears to allow them to engage smoothly. Now, your typical shift movement is shorter, so the syncros have less time to perform their function.

So what I'm saying is for the sake of your gearbox, when you are just driving around normally use some mechanical sympathy and slow down the movement to allow the syncros time to do their job.

A short shifter has a a similar, although not quite as bad, effect on the gearbox as if you were to start ramming your old shifter in to position quickly, which you wouldn't do because you know it would be causing damage to do so.
Ahh yes, I got ya. I drive like a bit of a grandma on a daily basis, so nothing really to worry about there. I've had a play with the shifts and they are pretty damned quick when I want them to be. But generally, yes I drive with a bit of mechanical sympathy regardless.

On another note, my anodized AL7075 strut tower brace mounts are done. I test fitted them and the anodizing took up too much in the holes, so I've bored them out a bit and will test fit them again tonight after work. They look awesome in "Silver Hard Anodized" finish - almost looks like titanium due to the chemical reaction between the 7075 aluminium and the anodizing process.
IMG_20170419_123620376.jpg

Super cool!!

I guess for the final production version you'd want to make the holes a bit bigger to 1, compensate for the anodising and 2, make it easier to bolt on the car. Trying to get a strut brace on a car can be hard of the holes are an exact fit. Mine both have 6 bolts and is not easy to get on. 2 at the front/middle and 2 on each strut tower.

Haven't done any updates for a while. Been a bit busy with a house project and work...

Since my last update the strut brace project has moved along very slightly. I've got the tooling further along by adding the long side fences to the tool, and I'm going to trim it back and add the radius blends in using an epoxy filler and radius tool. Then I need to line the tool with PTFE tape (which helps with the release) and secure the top half of the tool to a strongback to ensure it doesn't bow while cooking. Once that's done it's time to source the carbon fibre unidirectionals and start laying them up! I will get this done soon. Promise!

In other news, I noticed a bit of a clunky squeak out of the clutch recently. It started off being only when in gear depressing the clutch pedal, but it's getting louder and more regular, so it looks like a clutch replacement is on the cards. It's only the thrust bearing that's actually given up, but while the gearbox is out and the bearing is being replaced I might as well get the clutch and flywheel done at the same time - should give me another 15 years of driving pleasure!

The pirate ship creak has also been a bit more noticeable recently - I'm doing a lot more driving on bumpy B roads across the New Forest now - so I've decided to replace the cheap poly bushes I used for the rear trailing arm bushes with some better quality ones. While those are being done, I'm also doing the front control arm bushes as well, as there's been a little degradation in the handling.

And last night I decided to finally order a new air filter. I've just gone with a replacement panel filter, but it's a BMC item, and form what I've seen of them it should produce some pretty awesome induction notes!

A few pics from the last few weeks...

Last photo at my old flat:
PSX_20170711_085429.jpg

First photo at my new house. I HAVE A DRIVEWAY! :) :) :)
IMG_20170626_093555299.jpg

It turns out Betti likes to devour rubber and scull back copious amounts of high octane petrol...
IMG_20170701_095900626.jpg

And a couple from work and home...
IMG_20170816_075646291.jpg
IMG_20170805_154750871.jpg

Did I mention I now have a driveway? Loving it!

A few pics from the last few weeks...

Last photo at my old flat:
View attachment 667391

First photo at my new house. I HAVE A DRIVEWAY! :) :) :) View attachment 667392

It turns out Betti likes to devour rubber and scull back copious amounts of high octane petrol...
View attachment 667393

And a couple from work and home...
View attachment 667395 View attachment 667394

Did I mention I now have a driveway? Loving it!

She is looking very good! I love the angel eyes!! glad your mechanic was able to help you out and wire them up for you. that builds customer loyalty, more shops need to give this kind of service.

and congrats on getting a driveway!! that makes a ton of difference on security and working on your own car. Keep up the good work...

Your car is looking good 👍 Congrats on the new digs too!!! It's nice to have your own driveway.

Here's a photo of my new/used ride a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee in my driveway

Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.jpg

She is looking very good! I love the angel eyes!! glad your mechanic was able to help you out and wire them up for you. that builds customer loyalty, more shops need to give this kind of service.

and congrats on getting a driveway!! that makes a ton of difference on security and working on your own car. Keep up the good work...
Thanks! Yep,my mechanic is top notch. I'm heading there tomorrow morning for some handling upgrades and some minor TLC. Wish I could work on my car on my driveway. My handbrake barely holds it in place!!

Your car is looking good 👍 Congrats on the new digs too!!! It's nice to have your own driveway.

Here's a photo of my new/used ride a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee in my driveway

View attachment 668289
Thanks! And nice new ride! My old man has owned a couple of older Grand Cherokees. Love them, but damn they're thirsty beasts! Both of them were the 4.0L V8...

Tomorrow Black Betti is heading in to get some new poly bushes up front and replace the cheap rear trailing arm poly bushes with something more up market. I'm also going to fit the new filter I ordered tonight...

Saturday she went in to my mechanic and got some new poly bushes. We replaced the rear trailing arm bushes with better quality polys which have side washers for a better fit, and replaced the original oil-filled rubber control arm bushes with polys. The results are a much tighter and responsive feel to the handling.
IMG_20170826_101605547.jpg

IMG_20170826_092708508.jpg

Also fitted a BMC panel filter while my mechanic checked the idle control valve to see if that's what's causing my intermittent stalling issue. It's not the issue, there must be an air leak somewhere...
IMG_20170826_105348628.jpg

Made the most of the sunny weather on the weekend and gave Black Betti a good clean. Pressure washed, cleaned the wheels with Autoglym Wheel Cleaner and sealed them with Poor Boys Wheel Sealant. Tidied up the wing mirrors using T-Cut Metallic Color Restorer to remove some oxidisation. And used Carspunk Exterior Trim Dress to bring back a bit of black to the exterior plastic trim - this stuff is good!

IMG_20170828_174133813.jpg
IMG_20170828_173819423.jpg

IMG_20170828_173940679.jpg

The brakes are looking really rusty, so I think I'll have to get the brake cleaner out and clean them up a bit...

Simple "fix" indeed, more spirited driving :bowdown:. The Clio has discs that are more prone to the same surface rust than my old BMW.

A good hard drive on the way home, including some very heavy braking, has cleaned the discs right up. They shine like bright shiny things now.

So I've been quiet on here recently. But I've added to my fleet about a month ago. I picked a new daily my commute, which was absolutely destroying the BMW (if it wasn't the terrible road surfaces it was other motorists and inconsiderate pedestrians). Enter: Pan Pan.
IMG_20171215_150416874.jpg

Driving this is such a contrast to the stiff, rough ride of the track-specced BMW. It's like a lightweight tin can and it sounds like it's having a great time, until you notice how fast everyone else is passing you! Saving me a tonne of cash at the petrol station every week though!!!

Back