MidnightRun85's Ride: Black Betti

Just ordered, H&R Cup Kit Suspension for BMW 3er (E46):

upload_2016-9-16_11-11-28.png

Last edited:
Well the factory suspension is actually pretty stiff. Will reassess when I've got the new kit on. Need to really get her round a track to see what its really like under heavy cornering!

I presume the kit comes with top mounts and bearings too? If not, those are worth doing while you're there.
Good call. In fact, any bushings while you are in there have a good look at and replace if necessary. I did every bushing under my car, but it's a lot older than yours. Have some grease on hand so you can regrease components as required.

I presume the kit comes with top mounts and bearings too? If not, those are worth doing while you're there.
It doesn't come with top mounts or bearings. Just the struts and springs. I replaced the rear top mounts with polyurethane mounts last month, so those should be fine, and also replaced the rear trailing arm bushes a few months ago, again with polyurethane bushes. Which bearings are you referring to?

Good call. In fact, any bushings while you are in there have a good look at and replace if necessary. I did every bushing under my car, but it's a lot older than yours. Have some grease on hand so you can regrease components as required.
I'm slowly getting round to replacing all the bushes. Next thing to get replaced is the prop shaft donut (I think it's got a bit loose because I'm getting a bit of clutch shudder and a faint thud when I change from reverse to first when I'm doing a gentle three point turn!) and I'll look into doing the drop links and control arms shortly as well. All costs money though. If I was to spec Powerflex for all of them I'll be spending as much on the bushes as on the shocks/springs combo!

It doesn't come with top mounts or bearings. Just the struts and springs. I replaced the rear top mounts with polyurethane mounts last month, so those should be fine, and also replaced the rear trailing arm bushes a few months ago, again with polyurethane bushes. Which bearings are you referring to?

There's normally a bearing inside the top mounts on the front, just a little round thing. They might not be worn but it's pretty easy to just replace them anyway while you're in the area.

There's normally a bearing inside the top mounts on the front, just a little round thing. They might not be worn but it's pretty easy to just replace them anyway while you're in the area.
That little thin rubber pad thingy?

That little thin rubber pad thingy?

Hard to explain really, and I can't get a photo at the moment. You've got the rubber mounting at the top, and then underneath the nut on the top there's usually a bearing.

Hard to explain really, and I can't get a photo at the moment. You've got the rubber mounting at the top, and then underneath the nut on the top there's usually a bearing.
Okay cool I'll keep an eye out for them. Might have to come back and re-do them later. I've managed to find H&R anti-sway bar kit which is basically the matching kit for this suspension set-up, so might give it an overhaul then, do all the bushes, etc.

Last edited:
Something like this is what Katiegan is talking about
s-l300.jpg

The 'thin little rubber pad thingy' is part of the whole top mount assembly often consisting of a bearing, a way to mount the strut to the chassis and rubber.

You can re-use your old or buy new. If your old ones are worn it's a good idea to change them at the same time as you changing them with the suspension on can be a hassle and you will be removing them anyway replacing struts.

If the old ones are good I wouldn't bother replacing them.

Something like this is what Katiegan is talking about
s-l300.jpg

The 'thin little rubber pad thingy' is part of the whole top mount assembly often consisting of a bearing, a way to mount the strut to the chassis and rubber.

You can re-use your old or buy new. If your old ones are worn it's a good idea to change them at the same time as you changing them with the suspension on can be a hassle and you will be removing them anyway replacing struts.

If the old ones are good I wouldn't bother replacing them.
Thanks @eiriksmil, I'll check those out and see if they need replacing. I guess I won't know until I remove the struts anyway though!

On October 1st, Black Betti finally got her suspension upgrade. The kit I went for is the H&R Sport Cup Kit for E46 Coupe/Convertible/Compact with a 35mm/15mm F/R drop. The kit comes with new shocks and springs, and is a direct replacement for the OEM suspension components (none of this fiddling around with new coilover adaptors and brackets, etc.
WP_20160923_10_17_48_Pro.jpg

I took her down to my mechanic who set about removing the old stuff and fitting the new stuff. Nice and simple to fit, and only took a couple hours. While in the process we tested out the old springs and shocks to make sure they're all in working order to sell on, we found the rear shocks were shot. Completely. Which possibly could explain why the ride has been so harsh for so long!!

New front shocks and springs assembled, ready to go in:
WP_20161001_10_02_52_Pro.jpg

Front shocks/springs installed:
WP_20161001_10_50_59_Pro.jpg

Rear shocks/springs installed:
WP_20161001_11_04_05_Pro.jpg

New ride height:
WP_20161001_11_16_39_Pro.jpg
WP_20161001_11_25_32_Pro.jpg
WP_20161001_13_17_08_Pro.jpg

And a quick report on the handling improvement: immense! The lower ride height, coupled with the firmer springs, has produced a solid ride that's still comfortable and actually feels even better on the road than before! I'm absolutely ecstatic about this. It's made such a massive improvement, I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner!!

Those with a keen eye may have spotted the rear top mount poly bush - we pulled them out, double-checked them, and gave them a bit of extra grease to see if they were causing a knocking in the rear end. The knocking is still there, so I'm about to order new differential mounts and subframe mounts, again all poly bushes. They'll go on in a wee while.

Looks mint 👍
It's getting there! New ride height has made huge differences to the ride quality, so I'm pretty happy about it. Unfortunately the kit is a lot heavier than the OEM stuff (probably added 10-12kg) but I can handle that.

On the list of upcoming modifications:
  • Lug nut conversion kit with Titan-style lug nuts.
  • Rear subframe and rear differential mounts replaced with poly bushes.
  • Swap the OEM filter for a K&N or BMC panel filter (pod intakes not really effective on these engines).

Last edited:
Got a bit of progression on the strut brace project today. Talked to my boss about the lamination process and he's happy with my engineering though behind it. Have passed the mounts on to a friend to get 3D printed so I can trial fit them, then it's on to mock-up time for the brace itself. I've been doing a little market research through the car clubs I'm a member of (Hampshire BMW Owner's Club and BMW Club UK) and the feedback has all been really positive. Key driving factors in the project now are cost - how can I keep the production cost of the carbon brace down while still achieving the highest quality product possible - and production technique - should I got for a wet laminate or pre-preg, or do I commit to an autoclave? Initial FEA tests have been pretty positive though. It's only going to weigh about 1.5kg and still be stronger than standard steel braces which weigh around 6-7kg!

Here's the computer renderings of the concept:
14522997_10154525388219098_7407191660761088935_n.jpg
14522703_10154525388394098_6146082524996721068_n.jpg

Possible changes include a lesser drop across the width of the brace and modified section profile, depending on space allowances in the engine bay.

Would love to know the thoughts of anyone on here who's attempted a strut brace in the past!

It's the discreet details that matter...
WP_20161010_17_35_53_Pro.jpg

Over the next few weeks I'll be ordering a lug nut conversion kit, fitting that, and while I'm at it I'll repaint the calipers to touch up any imperfections. I also need to paint the carriers - I have the paint now, so that will be done at the same time as the lug nut conversion. I also ordered a white tyre pen, so I can fill in the Dunlop wording on the tyres for that race car style.

I've also decided to replace the spark plugs with some race-spec plugs and I'm contemplating uprated coil packs while I'm at it. If anyone has any feedback on the uprated coil pack decision, please let me know!!

It's the discreet details that matter...
View attachment 594963

Over the next few weeks I'll be ordering a lug nut conversion kit, fitting that, and while I'm at it I'll repaint the calipers to touch up any imperfections. I also need to paint the carriers - I have the paint now, so that will be done at the same time as the lug nut conversion. I also ordered a white tyre pen, so I can fill in the Dunlop wording on the tyres for that race car style.

I've also decided to replace the spark plugs with some race-spec plugs and I'm contemplating uprated coil packs while I'm at it. If anyone has any feedback on the uprated coil pack decision, please let me know!!
I would say unless you are actually having issues with your ignition system there is no need to upgrade it. Does it have any hesitation issues currently? Things like increased boost pressure can require you to upgrade it, as the ignition struggles to ignite the mixture, this can show up sometimes on transition of throttle or WOT. If you are running a stock engine then a stock ignition system is adequate. Spend elsewhere :)

I would say unless you are actually having issues with your ignition system there is no need to upgrade it. Does it have any hesitation issues currently? Things like increased boost pressure can require you to upgrade it, as the ignition struggles to ignite the mixture, this can show up sometimes on transition of throttle or WOT. If you are running a stock engine then a stock ignition system is adequate. Spend elsewhere :)
Thanks, I had a feeling that might be the general consensus. I've got a slight wobble on cold starts, so I'm chasing that at the moment. Might just need a good engine flush and a replaced CCV, but that's a pig of a job...

So the 3D printed brace mounts arrived. I'm pretty happy my mate printed them for me for free! Always good to have a hook-up!! Here's what they look like:
WP_20161017_08_27_26_Pro.jpg

They're not perfect. But they get the basic job done.

So I trial fitted them...
WP_20161017_17_40_21_Pro.jpg
WP_20161017_17_39_59_Pro.jpg
WP_20161017_17_36_20_Pro.jpg

A few issues to iron out. The counterbores aren't big enough to take the full diameter of the flange nuts, so they've been increased. The overall width of the C section has been increased a little to get a little more material in the mount. I think the angles have worked out well, so I'm pushing ahead with a basic cardboard template for the brace, to be converted to a timber brace I can shape nicely, then splash a mould off that in preparation for the final product!

Sad times. Just visited my mechanic to source an issue I'm having with the suspension. Took him out for a quick drive to find out what the issue is, and while reversing out the driveway I collected part of the drive and heavily damaged my driver's-side side skirt and jacking point. Not a happy man right now...

WP_20161110_11_19_40_Pro.jpg

WP_20161110_11_19_17_Pro.jpg

Not sure how to fix this.

Damn :( Hopefully a smash repair place can put it right for you .
I really hope it's not too major. First signs are okay - the jacking point tore out, so hopefully that means minimal (or zero) damage to the structural components it's attached to. Need a new skirt, trim and jacking point though...

Over the weekend I got round to fitting some bling. I had these turn up a few days ago:
WP_20161108_08_21_24_Pro.jpg

Fitted a few of them either side:
WP_20161113_13_19_53_Pro.jpg
WP_20161113_13_21_33_Pro.jpg

I'm waiting for more fasteners to turn up so I can finish the install around the bonnet latch fitting either side. It turns out the fasteners for the headlights on the E46 compact aren't the same as those on other E46's, so the guy who supplied me with the kit is sending out more of the machine screws.

I also got around to sourcing some timber to cut out my strut brace template:
WP_20161113_16_17_35_Pro.jpg

I'll have it cut out soon, get it set up in the engine bay to check angles and clearances, then it's on to cutting the template for the mould.

Had a bit of a shocker over the last few weeks. Boss didn't pay me for nearly 8 weeks, so I was really, really, really broke! However, that's all been resolved so I can put some time and money into my pride and joy again!!

First things on the list: a full tank and a decent wash! Hasn't had a proper wash (only a couple quick sprays) since early October, and I had to resort to cycling for a few weeks, so a full tank will be a little winter luxury!

Next up: ordered the anti-roll bar bushes I need to replace. They'll arrive shortly and I'll get that bit done.

After that: sort out this issue of the damaged side skirt and jacking point. I still haven't had a chance to get in there and really find out how much damage there is. Hoping it's nothing too serious, but I'll find out this weekend when I get it up on a car lift.

The ongoing project: I've made the timber template for my carbon strut brace, tested for clearance, and just need to start on the male plug to make the female mould from. Was hoping to have it done by the end of November, but that's obviously not happened! A bit of a set-back, but I'm not giving up yet. Should have the aluminium mounts done soon (need to talk to my machinist again soon).

Loads of other bits to come...

Quick update:

Over the weekend I dropped by my friendly mechanic and got him to replace the rear anti-roll bar bushes (or D-links) for me to see if we can eradicate the pirate ship creak I'm getting during low-speed suspension movement. It was a bit of a pig of a job - the left side bush had welded itself to the ARB (must get pretty warm near that exhaust! It took a fair amount of coaxing to get it off, but eventually it came off, and the dremel came out to clean up the ARB. Here's the difference in the bushes:
WP_20161217_09_38_43_Pro.jpg

Poly bushes have tightened up the rear end nicely, but the pirate ship creak still exists! I have a feeling it's the diff mounts or sub frame mounts, so they're next on the list for bush replacement now.

While I was there, we did a bit of investigation into the damage on the side skirt (afterall, it was his driveway that did the damage!). Wasn't any structural damage, so we pulled the jacking point off a breaking E46 he had on site, fitted that, then clipped the side skirt back into place with some replacement clips. There's still a bit of a tear in the plastic, which is pretty sad times, but it's not the end of the world.

Here's the damage:
WP_20161217_10_16_02_Pro.jpg

While there we discussed my carbon strut brace project and I showed him the template I've made for the clearance check. We've both agreed there's a huge amount of potential in this, so hoping to have the mould done over the Christmas. The aluminium brackets should be done shortly (when my machinist has some spare time to get them done) and I'll have all the fasteners ordered once I've got the mounts.

Mount template in place. Plenty of clearance, so might add a bit more curvature to the central section (which is quite straight at the moment).
WP_20161217_09_00_57_Pro.jpg

And here's a couple photos of Black Betti in a foreign environment at a mate's place in Portsmouth after a casual poker night...

WP_20161217_08_05_08_Pro.jpg

WP_20161217_08_05_26_Pro.jpg

Oh, and I also got round to fitting the last of the Bolternatives fittings, and I bought a couple of tow hooks for track days and test fitted them:
WP_20161211_14_23_28_Pro.jpg
WP_20161211_13_41_21_Pro.jpg

Back