Mike Rotch's RenaultSport Clio 200T

• Thread starter Mike Rotch
  • 222 comments
Don't have any mates who could help out?

Cheers Shaun.

My mates are more inept them I am :lol:. My dad could do it, but he is 9000km away :grumpy:.

opelgt1969
I would find someone else to do the work
Before I booked it in, I phoned around. All independent mechies I called all quoted about $800 for a timing belt.

My mates Avalon (basically a Camry) recently needed a power steering pump redone too at his mechie and it was around the same price as I was given.

It just seems it costs and arm and a leg here. 👎

Thread bump
defibrillator_smiley.gif

So after almost 4 yrs, Mr Camry is about to find a new home. In that time I did about 11,000km and the car did exactly what I wanted it to do; get me around in relative comfort and reliably. It swallowed tables, boxes, golf clubs, people, suitcases, bags of soil, my bike and much more over that period, gave an honest 30mpg (7l/100km) on the highway and low 20's (13l/100km) in the city and bore the brunt of being parked outdoors for 2 years as well as can be expected. Not a cabin rattle to report either.

But it's starting to become a service headache annually, I am not able to do much of the heavier maintenance myself and I'm lucky enough to be position to get something more exciting.

Two things rapidly came into focus as I looked for candidates though:
1) Car's cost a 🤬 load in Australia, even used
2) Apparently 6'6" test dummies are too expensive to use in car design, as I still don't fit in many cars.

Oh yeah, I only wanted 'auto' (not CVT), which curtailed options a lot.

Below are some models I contemplated:

Didn't fit:
  • Scirocco R
  • Gti Mk7
  • 370z
  • MX5
  • 1 series
Didn't care for for one reason or another (styling/ cost/ maintenance)
  • 2/3 Series
  • Polestar
  • A Class
  • Ford anything ST
  • GT86
  • Giulietta QV
  • A3/S3/TT
  • WRX
  • "Falcodore"

So it was all looking a bit gloomy, when I figured Renault would be worth a look. Off I headed to the local dealer and got them to wheel out a Megane RS. After much grunting and wiggling, it also failed the space test - such a large car and a rather curiously cramped interior. As there was a line of Clio RS' parked in the lot, I thought why not just cross that off the list too...

giphy.gif

wtf.gif

I fit, like, perfectly. I didn't take it for a drive then and there as it hadn't been on the radar, so I wanted to go and do some research.

A week later I was back, and reconfirmed I wasn't hallucinating; I still fit. Took it for a drive and was pretty much sold before we even got to RS mode. After some haggling, a deal was made.

Thusly, next weekend (hopefully) Mr Camry will make way for Mr RS200. In a departure from character, I signed up for the Liquid Yellow one, because, why not. I passed up the Cup chassis as the price premium for it is not worth it and instead went with the Trophy spec (leather, PDC, reversing cam etc).

This is the spec I'll be getting :)

2015-renault-clio-RS-sport-hatch-37.jpg

Last edited:
Update: Aw man. Car is on a truck between Melbourne and Sydney so ain't gonna happen this weekend. :indiff:

Boo, disappointing but on the up side a mid week delivery could lead to the need to have a day off work.
You know just to ensure everything is ok.

Well, new ETA is the weekend. A bit annoying, but getting annoyed won't hasten it.

I also discovered this weekend that the right CV joint is clicking on the Camry. Haha.

So delivery day was today - a bit of Laurel & Hardy stuff from the dealer but got there in the end. Got a bottle of French wine, some French chocolates and a Renault coffee table book as part of the hand over.

Who knows when/ if will happen again, so I took a picture of the odo with 41km on the clock, including my drive home:
1zcz9eq.jpg

First impressions = 👍

I did about 120km today, more on the table tomorrow. Early days yet, but stoked with first impressions. Super comfy - I view it as a 2+2 with handy back doors rather than a 4 door - you really feel you're sitting in the car rather than one it. Most commentators have moaned that a) the paddles are fixed and dont rotate with the steering wheel and b) it's "too laggy" when changing, but I think it's unfounded for the most part. I did some spirited driving in the intermediate sport mode which isnt even the fastest shifting mode and never got into a bend waiting for finger action action to translate into drive train action. Maybe on a track, both would be more noticeable, but I don't live on a track and neither do 99% of people.

Engine is very responsive and max torque is available from 1750rpm - in eco mode it lives in 4th/ 5th and you dont really feel you are suffering for it in moving traffic. On the hustle, it feels faster to keep it in 4th and use the torque, despite it being a rather long gear vs 3rd which is quite short.

Engine note is sweet on the downshifts - fake or not, the pops and crackles on downshift is good fun. Induction noise is great too - certainly doesn't sound like a sewing machine either, which is a blight for 4pots IMO.

Ergonomics are pretty good in the front, although at the B-pillar backwards it seems the designers lost interest in keeping up the material quality. There is a lack of oddment storage which is probably the only bugbear. Glovebox shape is also a bit weird. I love the rear styling, but it really does compromise rear 3/4 visibility - the big side mirrors solve 99% of that, but I hate not doing the shoulder check. Problem is, now all it reveals is the C-pillar or me headbutting the headrest.

Am very glad I went with parking sensors and a camera at the back, reverse parking would be a bit nerve jangly otherwise.

Media wise, its pretty slick and responsive and the RS-Link option I got gives stupid things like live torque and power graphs, g-meters, live fluid / gearbox/ intake temps, lap times, sprint times, wheels slip etc etc.

Well, some more pics. The Liquid Yellow is soooo damn awesome. So glad I didn't wimp out of it and get something more run of the mill. I should print that for when stone chips come along, as touch up kits dont exist for this unique colour :ouch:

2d7613r.jpg

15oi4bo.jpg

Its' the only right color for this car. :D Gratz on the RS Mike, I'm sure you'll love it. Renault Sport always has handling nailed. I still miss my old Mégane RS.

Thanks guys :cheers:. Did another 150km today, super chuffed with it so far.

The only blemish is the horn, which is rather comically French. :lol: Sounds like it's off a Honda 50cc.

Nice work @Mike Rotch. Liquid Yellow really is the perfect colour for it. Incidentally, if you're worried about stone chips, I'd advise getting some kind of invisible protective paint coating early on - will probably be worth it in the long run.

A few comments on your comments:
  • On the location/speed of the paddles, I'm one of those who does find it a little frustrating they don't move with the wheel, but that's mainly due to their shape - while they extend upward quite nicely, they don't extend downward by the same amount. So if you're steering right, for example, your fingertips can be quite easily below the paddle when you need to shift up. Might not be a problem too often, but when you're driving quickly the gears come thick and fast and it's nice to be able to keep your hands on the wheel while you're changing, which the shape of the paddle can sometimes make difficult.
  • On shift speed, it's probably not a problem if you're relatively new to DCTs, but I'd definitely say the Renault's DCT is towards the bottom end of the ones I've tried. Better in full race mode, but I'm not sure how many people use that on the street!
  • On sound... again, not keen on the Clio, but then most in this class are a little disappointing for me as fruity exhausts and loud induction systems seem to be viewed as antisocial these days. They're the first two things I'd fit to one of these if I owned one! Tried one of the very latest cars with the Akrapovic exhaust a few weeks back and that was much more satisfying. Gave it some of the now-traditional Renaultsport "blast furnace" exhaust sound, which I was never keen on in videos but it's actually quite addictive in the real world...

Cheers dude. I've looked into protection, but I think it might be a race to the bottom - as much as one throws at it, it just takes one knucklehead in a parking lot...

The paddles are off a GTR and they are fixed position on that car too - there is always the sequential shifter in the middle to use too :P

Your comments are perfectly valid on the DCT although as always, one man's meat....there is no perfect car, the Polo may have a more immediate DCT but the inferior chassis. A GTi may have both, but costs 2x as much. There is always a trade-off when $ is definite.

Down the line I'd consider a reso-delete, but that's about it I think. Its a slippery slope to boy-racer when bits start getting added on :lol:

The paddles are off a GTR and they are fixed position on that car too - there is always the sequential shifter in the middle to use too :P
This is where I note that for the 2017 model they've moved them to the wheel where they belong :lol:

So week two - done about 600km now, including a few windy B and C roads here. I am impressed so far; it's delivering on everything I expected at the outset and more 👍.

I'm obviously learning about it - like the fact it's DCT needs to be warmed up properly before any thought of some spirited driving is considered, otherwise it can be a bit recalcitrant. It really is in it's element in tight and twisty point and shoot stuff; I found a route with some proper full-lock hairpins today and blasting between them was a hoot.

Some other things I have come to appreciate:

1) The SatNav is a pleasant surprise and significantly better than the various GPS units I have used over the years.
2) I am really glad I sprung for a reversing camera, to do away with nerve jangly parking situations.
3) Fuel economy has been pretty good - I've not exactly spared the rod when it's come to right foot prudency, and I'm getting 9.7l/100km albeit only 1 and a bit tanks in.

On the flip side, the media menu interface is a bit laggy, but not horrendously so.

Apparently a RX-8 spare wheel will clear the brakes, so I may look into getting one, as it's only equipped with a can of goo and a compressor. I've also worked out the rear visibility come lane-changing and that's not an issue for me anymore.

I am also impressed with myself for not having tried to indicate using the wipers, having come from a Japanese car where things are reversed :)

2mgs3dj.jpg

The drive last weekend created a suitable amount of dirt to warrant a wash. I'm just using a spray on wax at the moment to maintain the existing coat, but am looking for a proper wax for when a rewax is needed. Happy with the result 👍

Today I ventured further than last week and found a peach of a road, about 14km end to end, full of sweeping curves and crests, and a few hairpins in the middle. It's not been mentioned on too many local motoring forums, so I may just keep it in the pocket for now ;)

A few things:

- Seems like the front passenger is ordained to be king; whilst the drivers seat has a nice 'pump' up and down mechanism to raise and lower the squab, but passenger is not do lucky and sits perched up a bit high. Weird they left it off the one side.
- Gave the launch control a first spin - emphasis on spin. Road surfaces was not the best choice and just ended up with a lot of wheel spin for most of 1st :lol:
- 750km in and I'm getting 9.5l/ 100km.

35ion5f.jpg

Last edited:
Another weekend past with about 150km of backroads under the belt, although some of it of it duffed by an old timer at the wheel of a beaten up Hi-Ace who insisted on sticking to 10kph below the speed limit.

One thing that is clear is that the car's ability is significantly above mine :guilty:. A bit of me is tempted to find a track day and learn how to drive smoothly as I am a terrible throttle jockey in the twisty bits; though that would significantly shorten the lifespan of brakes and tyres....and reasonable insurance premiums...

I am super tempted to get a center resonator delete - costs about $100 - and is a popular mod on the forums to liberate some more rasp and crackles, but I need to remember its not even a month old yet!

I did some research and Renault are selling around 200 RS200's a month country wide - haven't seen any other Liquid Yellow ones floating about which is kinda nice.

Thread bump
defibrillator_smiley.gif

Didn't care for for one reason or another (styling/ cost/ maintenance)
  • 2/3 Series
  • Polestar
  • A Class
  • Ford anything ST
  • GT86
  • Giulietta QV
  • A3/S3/TT
  • WRX
  • "Falcodore"
That hurts. :ouch:

:D

I'm going to do the opposite of what you did to my feelings and congratulate you with this beautiful car.

Bit of an update of things.

The last month has been a mix of weekend excursions to find some flowing and empty B and C roads and a fair bit of trundling about the city on the weekend on errands and social occasions. I've also washed it twice! And waxed :embarrassed:.

On that, I put on some Turtle Wax Jet Black Endura Shine as my wheel dressing. I've used all sorts of foam varieties for the Camry back in the day and they lasted little more than a week before the tyre returned to an yucky brown.

Well, after 6 weeks, the tyres still look pleasingly black and still a bit shiny. The spots are because I was too impatient and didn't dry the tyres properly before applying. I am quite pleased given this was a single coat. Next time I will multi coat:
c5cbb0a3-b0e8-4185-a263-742d0004a4d7_zpshezyqutx.jpg

Things I have come to appreciate from the little Clio:
  • The dampening on run of the mill 🤬-house Sydney roads is really polished in my opinion. The springs are stiff but the ride is very comfortable and free of any jarring or crashing about.
  • 33mpg/ 8.5l per 100km on the last tank which was exclusively spent driving around some of the busiest roads in Sydney. 👍
  • Having lived with the media interface for a bit now, I think it is great. The sat nav is bloody brilliant, way better than any GPS I have ever used.
  • Comfort behind the wheel - can't fault it.
  • I do like the comfort vs sport/ race gearbox modes. Comfort is just slushy enough to balance eco/ smoothness and still having some poke on tap but a button push later everything is crisp again.
  • Engine note - it's never going to be a 4C note wise, but I think the exhaust note is pretty good for a turbo, and the pops and crackles on partial throttle or downshifts are pure juvenile, but totally worth it.
  • Rarity. I've seen one other LY RSC4 in 2 months. Winning.
  • Grip. The level grip when pace quickens in the twisty stuff is way beyond my current skill level.
  • I'll mention again, I am so glad I got the rear parking camera. Makes it a breeze.
  • Also really glad I stuck with the Sport option and passed on the Cup spec, if nothing else than for the wheels which i think look 10x better than the Cup 18" ones.
The sometimes not so good things I am aware of:
  • Tiny tank to the rescue! 45l requires frequent trips for 98 octane.
  • No spare wheel. I do have a jack and a 12v compressor courtesy of Renault :indiff:. A RX-8 space saver will fit and I am looking hard for one, but they make hen's teeth look like tic tacs.
  • After some jaunty driving on some very poor country roads I have created an infrequent torsional creak somewhere in the LH C-pillar trim. It comes and goes with road condition. #French.
  • It took a fair amount of time in the multimedia menu to get the speaker output quality to be pleasing, and that is chiefly because I changed the directional bias to be focused on the driver. Pity a passenger on a long trip.
  • Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 2 tyres on a French hot hatch? Why you no Pilot Sport 3/4? Especially as AS2's have been replaced by AS3's now.
Most importantly, it brings a big one of these every time I get into the driver's seat and / or catch a glimpse of it reflecting off another car in traffic -> :)

m8clkz.jpg

Definitely worth seeking out some PS3s or PS4s when your current rubber runs out. Pretty good performance tyre for hot hatches. And since you've not gone for Cup spec, you probably don't need anything stickier like a Cup 2 either, which would be the only other sensible upgrade.

I did another drive today around my favoured roads to shake off the city and unwind. I've been wanting to give launch control a crack again after the first fail, and now that 1000 miles has come and gone, I thought, why not!

Renault claims 6.7 to 100kph....so I am pretty happy :)
(apologies for blur and dust)

2wof0g8.jpg

Last edited:
Busy but rewarding day today.

After a bright and early start to the day I hauled off my gear to the wash bay in my building and spent the better part of 3 hrs detailing Mr RS:

• Pre-wash soap soak. I don't have a HPC so came up with the idea to use a insecticide dispenser that attached to the hose. Filled it up with water an a high dose of shampoo and it did and ok job. No snow foam, but good enough for $20.
  • Wheel and rim wash
  • Body rinse
  • Shampoo
  • Body rinse
  • Dry
  • Windows
  • Wax on and off
  • Wheel dressing x2 coats
  • Nice cup of coffee to rest up
On the wax - it was my first application of Collinite 845 and I am pretty impressed so far. After reading this most excellent "how to" apply guide, it was really easy. It is clear that once the application is all done, there is a glass like barrier to contaminants....how do it I know....well I missed about a 2cmx2cm area when drying the car and water spots formed. I waxed over it (not being able to see the spots in the light and vs the paint colour) until i was buffing off....and those spots are well and truly there until I clay/ de-wax. When I try and buff them out, there is definitely a layer of invisible "something" between them and me!

Also digging the tyre dressing I have - last coat lasted ~2months and was still looking black with some sheen when I rubbed it off for a re-application. It's Turtle Wax Jet Black Endura Shine if anyone is interested. Just make sure you wear gloves :)

Anyway - post wax drive to take some pics :):

f04rq9.jpg

Then on the way home I thought I'd retest last week's sprint - to see if it was a fluke:

29wlshk.jpg

Seems like I have a good'un and/or my run in job was good :D. (Also interesting that 50-100kph took 4.00 secs in two independent runs).

These things look rad. Drove the Megane RS 275 Trophy a little while ago and was thoroughly impressed, but didn't try the Clio unfortunately..

These things look rad. Drove the Megane RS 275 Trophy a little while ago and was thoroughly impressed, but didn't try the Clio unfortunately..
The 275s are beasts - the budget wouldn't have extended to one, even if I had fit in it though! that said, the Clio is more than enough performance for me :)

Last edited:
Mod time. Sort of....

The Clio RS doesn't come with a spare - all that is under the boot carpet/ soundproofing is the rear diffuser. I don't have an issue with that - RS owners have a solution: Find an RX-8 space saver which shares the same bolt pattern and will clear the calipers. They are extremely hard to find in Aus as they were not standard with the RX-8 and Clio drivers have hoovered them up.

I finally managed to find one from a fellow RS owner, who is trading his in for a Megane RS. He also threw in the storage solution for the boot - a fabricated metal frame, some tie-downs and a Clio boot matt to cover it all 👍

20161105_wheel.jpg

20161105_wheel_in.jpg

20161105_wheel_covered.jpg

He also gave me a ride in his RS - he has done a center resonator delete and gotten rid of the muffler and done a 2-into-1 pipe at the back. Smokes, sounds like a racecar. He is happy to do an exchange with me for mine, but my gut is telling me the novelty may wear off quickly....

Part of the deal was also that he'd throw in a small mod for me, see if you can spot it (sorry for the crappy phone pics)
Before
20161105_before.jpg

After
20161105_after.jpg

It's basically capping the intake tube to the cabin, which feeds a membrane in the dash to amplify intake noise. I don't mind it, but it can be noticeable. This brings the NVH way down in the cabin, makes the speakers more legible and also makes the exhaust note more noticeable inside :)

This guy was also offering me to exchange my wheels and rubber + cash for his - 18" Cup wheels and rubber. Super tempted, but although it is a good deal, my rubber is basically brand new and I like the look of the 17s I have.

Last edited:
Back