Mini

• Thread starter 101325
  • 19 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hello, just to open a discussion - In GT Sport, the original Mini has Germany as the manufacturer. I believe this is incorrect and should be under Great Britain with BMC as the manufacturer. Later variations on the original mini shape were arguably German in origin but the early Mini as portrayed on the game is British.

Has this been discussed previously?

Thanks

Hello, just to open a discussion - In GT Sport, the original Mini has Germany as the manufacturer. I believe this is incorrect and should be under Great Britain with BMC as the manufacturer. Later variations on the original mini shape were arguably German in origin but the early Mini as portrayed on the game is British.

Has this been discussed previously?

Thanks
The first MINI in GT Sport was the Vision GT. The original car came along post-launch in DLC and was simply added to the German MINI brand dealership.

Renault Sport were in the game first, but when the Gordini was added as post launch DLC PD added Renault as a manufacturer. I'm not sure why they didn't do the same for the old Mini.

Renault Sport were in the game first, but when the Gordini was added as post launch DLC PD added Renault as a manufacturer. I'm not sure why they didn't do the same for the old Mini.
Technically Renault Sport should be part of Renault - but I reckon a licensing agreement got in the way of doing that, requiring Renault Sport to be represented as a manufacturer. The modern MINI owns all rights to the Mini name, so Mini should be part of MINI - as we saw recently, when MINI said it had made the ten millionth Mini - and more than half were pre-BMW.

I want them to separate Mercedes-AMG from Mercedes-Benz and move the AMG GT S, AMG GT3 and AMG F1 WO8 EQ Power+ to Mercedes-AMG.

I believe this is incorrect and should be under Great Britain with BMC as the manufacturer.

No doubt it comes down to what the license holder wants. Mini doesn't exist as a company, it's a just how BMW brand some of their cars, unlike Rolls-Royce for instance. BLMC Ltd. exists within BMW's portfolio of companies, I guess that might mean they hold the rights to the BMC name too.

Comparably, in GT Sport, Lamborghini and Bugatti - which are both wholly owned by a German company - both exist as companies registered in Italy and France respectively, and appear under those countries in the game. Mini isn't a company.

BMW owns the rights to the Mini name, since the classic Mini in the game is labeled as a Mini Cooper it falls under the BMW owned MINI brand and not a separate BMC brand.

Last edited:
I guess it's PD logic, because why isn't Jaguar Indian then? It's been 11 years since they were bought by TATA

p78
I guess it's PD logic, because why isn't Jaguar Indian then? It's been 11 years since they were bought by TATA

Jaguar Landrover Cars Limited and Jaguar Landrover Cars PLC are British companies, owned by an Indian company. BMW hasn't as far as I'm aware ever created Mini as a separate legal company anywhere, let alone here in the UK.

I've not looked at all cases in the game, but as I said in my above post. Lamborghini and Bugatti are German owned, but are in the game as Italian and French. These companies again are registered in those countries despite being foreign owned... Mini as is now, is not registered in the UK, or Germany for that matter... it's simply branding used by BMW AG, a German company. You could argue that BLMC Ltd, as a defunct company registered in the UK (but owned by BMW), could be used for the old Mini, but not the new ones (obvs). But clearly either PD didn't want two Mini brands in the game, or BMW didn't want them segregated.

In the scheme of things I guess it doesn't matter much, but it does seem rather misleading to have a British built original Mini listed under Germany.
My wife's 1996 35th Anniversary Mini Cooper isn't German either... :)

Gosh. I guess one make having different manufacturers from different countries is already a big problem. :boggled::indiff:

Gosh. I guess one make having different manufacturers from different countries is already a big problem. :boggled::indiff:
I do think the Mini situation is a bit different. The old Mini, built in the UK, shares nothing (except the name "Mini") with the current model.

It's a bit like comparing the original Czech Skoda with the current German one. If these both appeared in GT Sport it probably wouldn't be an accurate reflection to list the old models as German. Germans would probably be quite offended! :lol:

As I said in my previous post, in the scheme of things it probably doesn't matter much, but it is slightly misleading.

I do think the Mini situation is a bit different. The old Mini, built in the UK, shares nothing (except the name "Mini") with the current model.

It's a bit like comparing the original Czech Skoda with the current German one. If these both appeared in GT Sport it probably wouldn't be an accurate reflection to list the old models as German. Germans would probably be quite offended! :lol:
No. Skoda is still a Czech company. This is more like putting the Bugatti EB110 as a French car, when it was built by a previous version of the Bugatti company which was Italian (and in Italy).

BMC is a dead brand, so BMW therefore holds ownership of all that property. Yes, the Mini was built in the UK but the so-called MINI brand is a BMW product. MINI did not exist as a brand until BMW got hold of it. Before then it was a Rover product, and earlier still, a Morris product. I know it seems strange to see the old Mini Cooper S as a "German car", but because BMW owns everything to do with MINI nowadays, that's how it will stay. It's just a curious legal technicality that prevents the Mini from being listed as British.

As I said in my previous post, in the scheme of things it probably doesn't matter much, but it is slightly misleading.
Yeah, I just think it doesn't have any significant impact in the gameplay or something whatsoever, although some can't really overlook it.

I do agree with you... I think most of us here know about the original Issigonis car.

But when BMW bought the Mini 'brand' then they also bought the 'history'. If you were to ask their marketing department they would say they celebrate the Mini heritage.

God knows they know how to milk the Union Jack for all its worth on today's BMW mini.

To go further... as people have said, JLR is now essentially owned by India.

Lotus and Volvo are Chinese.

And let us not get into the mess that is PSA FCA... Franco Italian American of sorts?

Lotus and Volvo are Chinese.
Lotus is British and Volvo is Swedish. They're owned by Zhejiang Geely Holding, but the companies still exist. This is the key difference - Mini wasn't a company, but a part of Rover when BMW bought that up in 1994.

Mini has a very complicated history, but the modern MINI is a brand created by BMW and not a company. BMW didn't buy MINI, because there wasn't one - it bought the rights to the name when it bought the Rover Group.

In essence the full name, including marque of the Mini has variously been:
(BMC) Austin Seven - 1959-1962
(BMC) Morris Mini-Minor - 1959-1968
(BMC) Austin Mini - 1962-1968
(British Leyland) Mini - 1968-1980
(British Leyland) Austin Mini - 1980-1988
(Rover) Mini - 1986-1994
Rover Mini - 1986-1994
(BMW/Rover) Mini - 1994-2000
(BMW) MINI - 2000-present

Along with various Innocenti, Wolseley, and Riley variants.

What BMW bought in Mini was a name - and a heritage - not a company. While there's an argument that the 1965 car in the game should be under the Austin brand, BMW owns the rights to it.

Personally, if I was doing it, I'd have the early cars under a UK BMC brand, the later cars under a UK Rover brand, the middle cars under a UK British Leyland brand, and not have anything pre-BINI as a German Mini brand because... that's pretty much how it was. But BMW owns the lot now.

As has been said, it comes under the fact Mini, MINI and the other variations - Cooper, Cooper S, Cooper S Works etc. - are all trademarks but not companies. BMW is the company who owns and operates the trademark.

RenaultSport is a company, separate to it being a registered trademark. As such a RenaultSport car is OK to be listed as a separate brand. A BMW MINI is just that, a BMW MINI - not a Mini MINI. BMW is the company who produces the Mini - all variants. If BMW so chose, they have the rights to reproduce any and all of the parts and components that make up the old Mini, and licences to sell it as such - which is why the old Mini appears (And should appear IMO) under the BMW brand.

Back