Mission 18 - Sarthe II Nissan R92CP

• Thread starter Swift
  • 111 comments
Easier than mission 11, once you get to know what the car is capable of, then it drives it self; but you must know the track, of course..

this took a bit of practice but the hardest thing for me was staying on the track, passing the ai cars was easy :)

if you get a good line though the first chicanes you should be able to pass the first car just at the end of the long straight. The fast series of bends at the end of the track seem more intimidating than they are, you can get through them almost flat out if you have confidence in the car - the aero will hold it down and the faster you go, the tighter you can turn. Just be sure to back off a little for the last bend (where you can see the yellow triangle of paint on the end of the concrete wall).

Ving - I too didn't have much of a problem with this mission (5th time trying I think). I am also still having problems with M34 but look at my posting for the Skylines mission and you will get the solution that works every time. Note: I left out the fact that when the second car passes you before each turn gives you enough distance to let the lead car in the turn to put his brakes on without interfering with you. After this happens you can draft this lead car on the turn and get up to the 174-175 speed you need.

i took close to twenty tries cause i keep making mistakes. until i did a perfect lap and won by 26 seconds with shortcuts lol

No cheating and a couple of offs and I was only 8 seconds off the pace. I'll bet I'll have this one done by later tonight....

Just made this one with a 9:11.785 - took an unlucky 5 second penalty on the straight before the second 90 degree right hander, just touched the gravel and slammed into the side wall, but some helpful opponent rammed into the back of me and got me back up to 100mph under the penalty :). just caught the sauber at the end of the last lap and made a beautiful clean pass through the last chicane - I made a mostly clean run, no intentional cheating, the only time I went off the course was the penalty. fun test, though hard on the arms when you use a wheel :)

All respect to Daan, but it definitely looks like Polyphony made the mission more difficult for us NA NTSC gamers. The linked video shows a mission beating time of 9'26.386", whereas I lost to the Sauber by 11+ seconds with a time of 9'23" and change. So it looks like us NA blokes need to complete the 3 laps in around 9'12" to get passed this one :ouch:

FYI, My winning time was a 9:10.896 with the NA NTSC version, and I passed the Sauber in the last chicane, like he was parked or something.

I had a discussion in the original Mission Hall thread (look at post # 1138 and down) about this comparing to the PAL version, where it seems this mission is the opposite of 34, the NTSC version is shorter and easier.

Nice time. Very nice.

Alas I finally resorted to cheating (cutting esses) :guilty: but it got me through.

Now I've got M34 to look forward to... joy :rolleyes:

GeorgeMorley
I did it without cheating, it's not that hard really.

Ok. I'm sure to Schumi launching at the Monaco GP is really not that hard either. To whit, GT4 M18 for me is a challenge. Agreed, with more practice I don't doubt that I would eventually prevail, but sometimes aggravation takes over and one just wants the damn thing to be done with. No valor there I agree, but then again we are discussing a video game.

GeorgeMorley
I did it without cheating, it's not that hard really.

Oh yeah, JIC, since your are in England it is pretty commonly accepted on these boards that the PAL victory time is signifanctly slower than the NA (about 9:28 PAL vs 9:12 NA). Once again, just a friendly comment should you not be aware.

Hmm, but I wouldn't result to using the version of the game as the sole excuse for strugling with this mission:). It's been said before, that in total, PAL actually has harder Mission and License test times, on average. But at least you've got a much better challenge in this mission! PAL's time is a little bit too easy to nail :grumpy:!

Nonetheless, the version should be equal, who knows why they aren't(:irked: P..D...).

FormulaGT

FormulaGT
Hmm, but I wouldn't result to using the version of the game as the sole excuse for strugling with this mission:). It's been said before, that in total, PAL actually has harder Mission and License test times, on average. But at least you've got a much better challenge in this mission! PAL's time is a little bit too easy to nail :grumpy:!

Nonetheless, the version should be equal, who knows why they aren't(:irked: P..D...).

FormulaGT

Agreed. I was definitely not intentionally trying to make an excuse, but rather respond, solely for informational purposes, to the claim that this mission is "not that hard really." Especially considering the significant time penalty differences between the NTSC and PAL versions. I mean everything is realitive (ie the F1 comparison) but regarding this specific driving mission even a player of avg skill could find the PAL version "easy" whereas only a very highly skilled player could make the same claim regarding the NTSC version. That's the only point I'm trying to make :)

And yes I'm a 🤬 for cheating on this mission, but significant property damage was about to ensue so that's my excuse for now :sly:

icelt, if you need to add something else, put it in your other post other than double posting.

Cheatin' doesn't do me any good, I can't jump the chicane 3 times straight, I keep crashing!

I'm just going to have to keep hammering away at it & win it straight.

TheMoose
Cheatin' doesn't do me any good, I can't jump the chicane 3 times straight, I keep crashing!

I'm just going to have to keep hammering away at it & win it straight.

try cutting the first chic and aim for the bridge it puts me back on the road with out spinning, then the last chic's i have to go through the first set then cut the last ones, i just keep spinning if i do both.

George Morley
icelt, if you need to add something else, put it in your other post other than double posting.

Will do. Thanks for pointing out the etiquette to me.

streetsmell
try cutting the first chic and aim for the bridge it puts me back on the road with out spinning, then the last chic's i have to go through the first set then cut the last ones, i just keep spinning if i do both.

Agreed. Not to advocate cheating, but this is the exact technique I used to get past this one. Cutting the 1st one as described above should gain you about 3 sec's a lap, but keep in mind that's not enough to where you can flub up the rest of the course and still get through. When successfully done it will still require mostly clean corners for the remainder of the course on each lap.

Take the corners carefully at first, then as you get better, take them harder until you can do it.

Well I got serious about this mission & beat it today!

The "cheating" tips really screwed me up, I just couldn't cut the first chicane 3 straight times without spinning.
Once I gave up on cheating & started hammering the corners I started picking up time.

Keeping my speed up thru Indinapolis & finding the fast lines thru the Porsche curves were key.

I passed the last car in the last chicane & won by 0.205 sec.

The only missions I have left is 34 (not looking forward to this mission & it's 2 min wait!) & mission 13 in Paris.

TheMoose
Well I got serious about this mission & beat it today!

The "cheating" tips really screwed me up, I just couldn't cut the first chicane 3 straight times without spinning.
Once I gave up on cheating & started hammering the corners I started picking up time.

Keeping my speed up thru Indinapolis & finding the fast lines thru the Porsche curves were key.

I passed the last car in the last chicane & won by 0.205 sec.

The only missions I have left is 34 (not looking forward to this mission & it's 2 min wait!) & mission 13 in Paris.
I found that the chances of spinning on chicane 1 were less than going too slow round it. Theres not much time in the first chic anyways i went in behind and came out just ahead of the AI car

I just watched my DVD of the 1971 Steve McQueen film LeMans.
After spending several hours trying to beat this mission it was interesting watching this movie.
Knowing where the cars were at a glance, seeing the changes in the track, was cool.

The spookiest thing was seeing the open pits with no wall between the front straight & the pit!

If you've been driving this track for so long you know it like the back of your hand, put down the controller & pick up this movie!
Enjoy!👍

MISSION 18

Here's a map of the circuit for this mission, with the gears listed for each corner, and brake zones in yellow.
mission18.jpg

Keys:
-The Porsche curves are the key to this mission. You must be quick through here to have any chance. Each curve is a little bit tighter than the last, so you have to adjust your speed accordingly. You should take the first couple of bends in 4th, then drop down to 3rd for the rest.

Disclaimer: This is how I drive the mission. I have a conservative, smooth driving style, so your braking tendencies may not match, but it should give you some idea of where to brake, and how much. Throttle-lifts are NOT shown, but it's not hard to figure out when you should lift. The time reference is for the NTSC version only.

Difficulty similar to Mission 13. Maybe just me, but I don't like the way this car feels. I hadn't driven it much...if at all...before this mission. I was expecting better cornering. /shrug

Many hours of practice, and eventually I passed without off-roading...well...I took the last S before the finish line too fast (to pass the lead car) and ended up tapping the wall, but I pulled it back on the road fast enough to win by around .2 secs. :crazy:

A few rounds I tried cheating to see if I could win (as frustration mounted), but it seemed like the game made the car handle poorly after crossing sand, so I never did well. I wouldn't be satisfied with a cheat anyway, but it was interesting how I couldn't win by cheating. :grumpy:

I just don't know this track well enough to win this one. The whole area in the last quadrant, running between all the sheds upto the S/F line is really confusing. The ground is dead flat, there are tons of service roads and walls in odd places, and visibility in general sucks. It's an excercise in near-blind driving, and not even like a hilly course where you have crests to make landmarks.

Yeah, it's just a matter of learning the track. My difficulty was the stretch after Arnage, which is the very slow right-hand 90-degree turn. That turn leads onto a fast straight followed by a blind but fast right-hander (which I STILL don't think I'm doing right), and then some back-and-forth curves with short straights. Keeping my place in this area was very difficult at first, as it all looks the same, like you say.

Once you've got it, there's a very satisfying rhythm to it, and it's quite fun.

My lap times on NTSC were just under 3 minutes a lap, I passed the Sauber in the last chicane, which he took really slowly, it seemed.

It took many, many tries for this, though, as I used the Mission for track practice, rather than going to another car and running it in World Circuits just to learn the track.

Also, when people talk about short-cutting the chicanes, if you actually get in the sand where it slows you down, you're off too far. The chicanes will give you the area wide enought to just leave the one side of the car on the pavement without bogging you down, and it saves a bucket of time. That's not cheating, that's using the course.

Back