MLB 2011 Preseason

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Prosthetic, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Prosthetic

Prosthetic

Ok, so I never made one of these like I did the past two years but in anticipation to the start of spring training is starting to bug me and I need to talk some baseball. On that note I will start by listing of some of each teams major moves this season to help those of you that don't sit around the hot stove all winter long.

Arizona Diamondbacks:
    They didn't do much but they have bolstered there bullpen adding JJ Putz to a 2 years $10MM deal. Traded away slugger and master strikeout artist Mark Reynolds to Baltimore and then signed Melvin Mora for 3rd base duties. Also dabbled in the idea of trading Upton but couldn't get a big enough return. I like what they have done in blustering there pen which struggled last year. They should improve on last year by a good bit.

Atlanta Braves:
    Early on traded away Infante to the Marlins for Uggla which gives the middle order of the Braves a whole new look. Other then adding Sherrill Hinske they haven't done much but look to battle for NL East title like last year.

Baltimore Orioles:
    Traded for Mark Reynolds, JJ Hardy signed Kevin Gregg and Derrek Lee. Dlee, Hardy and Reynolds put into the lineup with Scott, Jones, Markakis, Robers makes there lineup very solid and should help youngsters like Weiters and Remoid. They lack some starting pitching but they should be a much better team then they were last year. Showalter turned the team around last year so expect at least a .500 record IMO.

Boston Red Sox:
    Every single headline seemed to feature this team. Trading for Adrian Gonzalez from the Padres and signing outfielder Carl Crawford to a 7 year $142 MM deal. Resigning Varitek and adding bullpen depth in Jenks amongst others. They look to be the favorites.

Chicago Cubs: Trading for Garza, getting back Wood and signing Pena to a 1 year deal. The Cubs are looking like a very formidable team but I still feel they lack a bit. There is potential in the team and I think they can contend.

Chicago White Sox: Signing Adam Dunn and resigning AJ and Konerko they look to have more thump in the lineup then last year. Then adding some strong Bullpen pieces in Jesse Crain and Will Ohman they look to hold on to a strong pitching staff.

Cincinnati Reds: The Reds have been a bit on the quiet side this off season in terms of signing people. They did however extend a number of players (Johnny Cueto, Joey Votto, Jay Bruce, Bronson Arroyo, Scott Rolen) and resigning a few others. They did however pick up the WS MVP Edgar Renteria and ex-Giant Fred Lewis to compete for lead-off duties. Other then that they have a very sound team and should look very similar to last year barring injuries or career years from surprising players.

Cleveland Indians: There really isn't much to say for the team other then hopefully Santana and Sizemore can stay healthy. Currently trying to rebuild most if not all of there signings are minor league or Spring Training invites. Austin Kearns is back with the team but other then they haven't done much. Hopefully Joe Martinez can get some chances to pitch here.

Colorado Rockies: Big off season for the Rocks, resigning Tulo who will now be under club control for TEN years. Oh, and CarGo too.. Adding to the resigning the De La Rosa they hold on to some key parts of 2010. They then traded for Felipe Paulino for bullpen help and Jose Lopez for power help. And they also signed Wigginton to replace Mora. I don't think this puts them ahead of the Giants for favorites in my opinion as there is to much of a pitching gap but the potential is there.

Detroit Tigers: Extended Inge and Raburn. And resigned Ordonez and Peralta . Along with signing Victor Martinez, Joaquin Benoit and barring injury Brad Penny they should very well contend in the ALC. I still think they need more pitching if they want to be successful in the post season but that's just my opinion.

Florida Marlins: They did trade away Uggla who is probably the best power hitting 2nd basemen. But they got Infante in return who is good defensively and offensively unlike Uggla. They also traded for some bullpen in Edward Mujica and Ryan Webb from the Padres which will help in an area they need it. Along with John Buck a solid catcher with a good bad and Javier Vazquez a solid pitcher. Then resigning Nolasco to a good deal the Marlins have them self a nice team that should be about the same area as last year maybe even a bit better. Along with a series of miner league signings you never no what your going to get.

Houston Astros: Didn't do much but after Berkman and Oswalt were traded they got some nice prospects and they started to play better. I think this team can turn it around and be better then last year, but by how much? The NLC has gotten much better from last year. They traded for Barmes and signed Bill Hall and resigned Myers. They have a nice catching prospect in Jason Castro who struggled a bit last year but should improve with time. They also have Matt Downs who was a Giants prospect but ended up getting released much to my dismay. A solid fielding 2nd basemen with power so hopefully he gets a shot because I think he can become a solid starter.

Kansas City Royals: What to say about the Royals... They resigned Chen, and signed Jeff Francis, Jeff Francoeur, Melky Cabrera and got Vin Mazzaro in a trade. But they traded away Dejesus and Grienke. The team won't compete for obvious reasons not this year or the next couple. BUT, they do have the best minor league system in the league so maybe in a few years you will see a few all-star players coming out of the cellar roaming Royals but for now they aren't much more. Sorry!

Los Angeles Angels: Angels had a pretty bad year followed by a pretty bad off season. They got Scott Downs and Hisanori Takahashi and that's about it. Then all the sudden they trade Juan Rivera and Mike Napoli for Vernon Wells who is in the middle of a monster contract. I expect them to be in third place and out of everything.

Los Angeles Dodgers: I would love to sit here on the crown and laugh at my rivals who fell apart so perfectly in 2010. But they actually did a lot of things right this off season. They started off extending Ted Lilly to a three year deal and bringing back Jay Gibbons to a minor league deal who seem to found a sweet swing down the stretch. Then stole post season hero Juan Uribe to a three year deal stealing one of the better utility players in the game. Then getting a pitching staff locked up, Kuroda, Garland to one year deals. That's 6 starters. Then getting Barajas and Navarro for catching duty. Guerrier to help the bullpen that fell apart and then Marcus Thames to compete for left field duties. (They also got Dodger killer Eugenio Velez who played for the Giants who isn't that good but is a fun player to watch...) All of this and they still aren't as good as the Rockies or Giants. Lots of signing but not much quality.

Milwaukee Brewers: Wow what a off-season! Before the season ended they resigned Corey Hart and Yovani Gallardo to 3 and 5 year deals. Then signed Saito to help the back of the bullpen then traded for Marcum and Grienke! One of the better offenses now have a pretty good rotation and a strengthened up bullpen. To bad there defense still is one of the worse but that is something that can improve. They look to compete but will they be able to? Going to be fun to watch next season!

Minnesota Twins: They started the offseason extending Joe Mauer, Denard Span and Nick Blackburn to long contracts. They then won the bid to open negotiations with Tsuyoshi Nishioka who later signed a 3 year $9MM contract. Not much money who broke the hit record (I believe) in Japan but Japanese players have historically not done well in the states. They later resigned Jim Thome and Carl Pavano and also exercised the option for Jason Kubel. The Twins look to compete again next year but the Socks and Detroit are going to have a few things to say about who's going to win the AL Central.

New York Mets: Last offseason I kept hearing about how great the NL East is going to be with an improved Mets squad. Well they weren't that great last year no help from Jason Bay who signed a long term deal and did not live up to expectations. They have a potentially good team but have loads of problems in the pitching department oh yeah and the staying healthy department. Look for a turn around year for players like Beltran, Bay and Reyes. And for young stuf Ike Davis to improve but there biggest pickups were $1.1 MM deals Chris Young and Scott (The Giant killer) Hairston. Does not impress and I think they have a good chance at being last in the division.

New York Yankees: There offseason didn't impress me either. They resigned Jeter to a massive contract. He has a huge name and following that hides the fact that he is a bad defender, has little to no power and his ability to hit and steal bases has diminished. They signed his name no the player. They also resigned Rivera but hes still good at what he does. They signed Mark Prior (Remember him?) to a minor league deal and Russell Martin who looks to rebuild some stock. He should do good getting out of the strong pitching NL West also playing in small ballparks will help too. They also signed Feliciano and Soriano for some major bullpen help but there starting pitching is still horrid. They also signed Andruw Jones but he won't make that starting pitching any better.

Oakland Athletics: I love what they did this offseason. I hate the deal but they did real well in boosting up that offense to give that great pitching staff (both starting and relief) some help. They brought back Ellis and Crisp. Then signed Matsui (Godzilla) for DH duties, as old as he is he can still mash a baseball. Brought back Rich Harden and signed Brian Fuentes and Grant Balfour. Now there good bullpen is starting to look great. Then they trade for Josh Willingham from the Nationals. They now have a respectable offense and what is looking like the best pitching staff in the AL. Put that in the a division that is getting weak they have all the chances in the world to try and do what the Giants did last year.

Philadelphia Phillies: They brought back Contreras the only pitcher that was able to get a Giant hitter out consistently :D and J.C. Romero. Then they signed Cliff Lee and that's about it. Oh yeah, they also lost some dude named Jayson Werth. Apparently the Lee signing makes them leaders of the world but I don't even see them reaching there last years regular season record of 97 wins. Chase Utley struggled last year and he isn't getting younger. People think they are a great offensive team but losing Werth changes the whole dynamic of the team. Not to mention absolutely no power from the right hand side. Howard and Utley is there only real power threat and they both hit offhanded. Ibanez is also left handed along with Rollins and Victorino who are switch hitters but spend most of there time on the left side. Ruiz and Polanco are the only right handed batters on the team and they are soft gap hitters without much speed. There starting pitching is good but there bullpen isn't. And the team is getting older and very one dimensional.

More to come!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  2. Nicksfix

Nicksfix Premium

Not really expecting much out of the Tribe this year. :grumpy:

Santana and Sizemore can't carry the entire team all year long. The off season acquisitions were slim to none. Guess what ? Slim just left the house. :lol:

3. Prosthetic

Prosthetic

Yeah, plus the AL Central competition has moved up A LOT. Talk about improving the division the Socks and Tigers really moved up in my book. I have been a fan of many losing teams but you always have a player or too to follow and then hope he comes out and does amazing in win some award. Once the season starts rolling you may pleasantly be surprised with what you have to cheer for.

4. Nicksfix

Nicksfix Premium

Cheering and pleading for a season above .500 would be nice. :lol:

5. Prosthetic

Prosthetic

That's what Pirate fans have been cheering for the last 18 years!

6. Villain

Villain Premium

This thread makes me happy. For so many reasons. 1st off, I'm happy that it exists because I absolutely love baseball and I love talking baseball with people who are not morons. Unfortunately, almost all the sports fans I meet are, in fact, morons (or fanboys :yuck:). 2nd off, I'm glad that you're a Giants fan. I'm a die-hard Dodgers fan, so this should be lots of fun! :tup:

Lastly, it also makes me happy that you didn't include the Giants in your original post. It means that you're not so much of a fanboy as to be ignorant to the fact that the Giants have had a slow winter. :sly:

Do you play The Show? Everytime I get into a match against an opponent who's using the Giants, they quit as soon as Ethier plops one into the Cove.

7. Prosthetic

Prosthetic

Woo!! I've been waiting for a couple of years for a Dodger fan to show up. This should be a good year! As for not covering the Giants in the original post, I haven't gotten through all the teams yet. I will add a few more after I finish this post!

8. Villain

Villain Premium

So my birthday was this past weekend... My gift was tickets to go see Dodgers Vs Giants in Scottsdale at the end of February! Of course my girlfriend is a Giants fan so she bought tickets to go to the the Giants' facility instead of at Camelback Ranch in Glendale. But that is just fine, I'm feeling the beginning of a new February tradition, because there's no way we aren't going to Dodgers' facility next Spring!

I'm already way too excited for the '11 Season.

9. Austin343

Austin343

Ethier's defense in the outfield is so bad in real life that he isn't all that much above average in terms of his total contributions to his team.

Mora and Blum are going to be a pretty useless third-base tandem for Arizona, and quite a bit worse than what Reynolds would have provided them despite his ~40% K/AB ratio. The bullpen should perform better than it did last year simply because of regression to the mean, but Putz was a pretty good signing regardless.

The Braves should do just about as well as last year, since they haven't made many roster changes and they didn't particularly overperform.

There's no way in hell that the Orioles will reach .500 next year; the manager doesn't make a big enough difference to compensate for mediocre talent. Reynolds and Hardy are both pretty good, and Lee should be decent despite his age, but I'm not sure exactly what they're trying to do given that they have essentially no chance at all of making the postseason. For the most part, they should be trying to get prospects, not trading them away.

The Red Sox were unlucky last year and definitely improved over the offseason as well, so yes, they should win the division pretty handily.

The Cubs are still probably the fourth-best team in the division, and the Garza trade was probably a net loss for them - he's been playing in front of good defenses in a home-run-suppressing park, so he likely isn't as good as his career ERA.

The White Sox are going to be pretty terrible in a couple of years when they have no money, no prospects, and their veterans are over the hill, but they may be the best team in the Central in 2011.

The Reds did overperform last year, so we shouldn't expect them to win ninety games again, but they're certainly still good. Their extension of Arroyo was a head-scratcher, though - he vastly outperformed his peripherals last year, and he's going to regress a lot over the next three seasons to the point where he's barely playable.

Carlos Santana is pretty unbelievable, and they have a bunch of good prospects, but the Indians don't look very good for 2011. I almost wonder if they should have gotten a big-name player just to keep their attendance up, because they aren't drawing many fans at all these days.

The Rockies were much better than their record last season, and on that basis alone they should be better this year, but their offseason has been baffling. There was no need to assume as much risk as they did by extending Tulowitzki three years before his contract expired, and Gonzalez is going to regress heavily next season because he was very lucky on balls in play and his plate discipline is terrible. The power is real, and he should be good, but he's no Matt Holliday. Lopez, Wigginton, etc. were not well-considered additions, although the former could do okay in the friendlier environs of Coors Field.

The Tigers overpaid for a lot of players, but they should be pretty good next year. They do have holes, but Verlander and Cabrera, among others, are very, very good.

The Marlins seemed to waste quite a bit of talent on getting relievers, and Buck is not close to as good as he was last year. Vazquez is also not a good bet to bounce back from last year because he lost a lot of velocity. So it's more likely than not that they'll be worse than last year, I think.

With apologies to John, the Astros are a disaster. They have no talent and no farm system, and they overperformed massively last season. They're probably better than the Pirates, but being so poorly run (Ed Wade is a train wreck), their outlook is bleak for the next few years.

The Royals look like a good bet to lose 100 games. They look like they're in pretty good shape for 2013, when they'll have lots of money to spend and quite a few graduates from their minor league system, but they don't have much talent in the Majors right now.

The Angels' trading for Wells was inexplicable - he's likely much worse than he performed last year, and he has a monster contract that everyone knew the Blue Jays would bend over backwards to get rid of, and yet they still gave up two semi-useful players in return without any meaningful salary relief. In effect, they traded two assets for a liability. The money would have been better spend on Crawford or Beltre if they were committed to spending it. I agree with Prosthetic that they look like a third-place team.

The Dodgers spun their wheels by signing a bunch of useless players. They got a couple of decent-value guys as well, but a Thames/Gibbons platoon in left field is just really poorly thought out, and if they put Kemp in center and Ethier in right, the outfield your defense is cover-your-eyes bad, perhaps a contender for the worst in recent memory - and this is playing behind a flyball-heavy pitching staff.

The Brewers are probably about as good as the Cardinals and Reds, so they're a decent bet to win the division. They now have no farm system, but it was worth the gamble to go for the postseason while they still had their team-controlled players in place.

The Twins are going to be pretty good, and their park is going to play a little less pitcher-friendly now that they've removed the pine trees from center field. But they probably aren't favorites for the division.

The Mets are hamstrung by a bunch of bad contracts right now, and they aren't going to be contenders this year (although they also won't be last), but they should be better in a couple of years without the dead weight of Oliver Perez and such to limit their options in the free-agent market. They still have the resources to assemble a quality team when they regain some flexibility.

Jeter, Rivera, and Soriano are overpaid, but the Yankees made some good signings, too (Jones and Martin come to mind). They most certainly do need a starter or two, though.

The Athletics most certainly do not have the best pitching in the AL; luck, a very good defense, and a park that depresses scoring all kept their starters' ERA artificially low last year. But they did have a good offseason, and they should be the second-best team in the division, with some chance to win it.

The Phillies do, indeed, have an aging offense that isn't likely to be all that good, but the rotation should make up for quite a bit of that. They're no juggernaut, but I think that they're the best team in the division, at least.

The Pirates were actually worse than their record last year, if you can believe that, but they should do a bit better this season, I think. Their free agent signings were okay, and many of their younger players should improve. They may still lose 100 games regardless.

San Diego was smart to trade Gonzalez now, seeing as they overperformed last year and were not especially likely to win the division, and they made some decent signings that probably give them an outside chance at contending anyway.

San Francisco also overperformed last year, but they should be within contention again despite not making any meaningful changes. Tejada at shortstop is a little frightening, but Belt is supposed to be good, and Sandoval should do better than he did last season.

Seattle had everything go wrong last year, and they're longshots for .500, but they're also very unlikely to lose 100 games again simply by virtue of regression to the mean.

St. Louis underperformed last season, and they've been going in circles this offseason (trading away Ryan and trading for Theriot? Why?), but they have a very good chance at winning the division.

Tampa Bay did extremely well based on their payroll limitations, as players like Ramirez and Damon should provide very good value while Hellickson will likely be quite a good starter and others like Zobrist will probably rebound somewhat. The team overperformed last year, but they do have some chance at winning the Wild Card.

Texas is pretty easily the favorite in the West, although they could use a starter. Beltre should live up to his contract for at least the next couple of seasons, and they have quite a nice core that should hold up despite Hamilton's inevitable regression.

Toronto did fantastically in getting rid of Wells' contract, and they'll be swimming in free-up payroll after this year that they can use to sign some good free agents and build upon quite a nice group of young players. They aren't likely to win the division or even the wild card, but they are a fair bet to finish above .500 even with regression from Bautista.

Finally, Washington threw more money than was necessary at Werth, and that will likely come back to haunt them (from 2013 on, when they can start leaning on Harper and Strasburg and players like Zimmerman will hopefully still be in their primes, Werth's contract is going to look more and more like an albatross and start to hamstring them right when they would be on the cusp of contention with just one more good free agent. For 2011, they look like cellar-dwellers, although they probably won't be completely embarrassing.

10. Villain

Villain Premium

You are seriously undervaluing his dreamy eyes and long, flowing locks! :drool:

[​IMG]

Hubba hubba!!! :dopey:

---------

Are you forgetting how young Kemp, Billingsley, Kershaw, Broxton, Jansen, and Loney are? IMHO they all have yet to reach their ceilings for production. Ethier isn't as young, but I think he still has some room for development. I'm also one of those endlessly optomistic types, but I get that Thames/Gibbons is not the answer. I'm afraid Colletti might be thinking that the answer is in the farm system, but you never know what could happen with the right trade.

You know, as soon as the crooked owner(s) get run out of town. :yuck:

One thing to remember: the NL West is still the NL West - just because the Giants won the World Series doesn't mean that the Giants/Rockies are the new Yankees/Red Sox.

A trend I'm noticing: are the AL/NL Central Divisions really starting to become a pit of awful baseball? I feel like none of them (with the exceptions of the White Sox and the Brewers[I love that they aren't giving up so easily!]) have made a single decent decision all winter.

EDIT: Geez, I just re-read this. This is literal proof of my ADHD. :lol: Hopefully these thoughts of mine are segregated enough!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  11. Prosthetic

Prosthetic

You made some good evaluations Austin but I'm going to counter them with mine.

He isn't that bad... And is pretty average. He and Kemp together last year slumped big time in the field and they are capable of much better looking back in previous years.

A healthy Jones and Uggla now in the middle of the lineup I can easily see them Giving Philly a run.

There projected line up is...

Roberts
    Markakis
    Lee
    Scott
    Jones
    Reynolds (who will love the small stadiums of the AL East)
    Fox
    Wieters
    Hardy

Is pretty formidable, plus you add a much improved pitching rotation and bullpen they can certainly be a .500 team.

They had the best rounded offense in the NL and a deep pitching staff. But they lacked a true ace someone that could shut down any team on a given night. That's where they struggled in the end.

They had more money to spend this off season then any other team. They were looking for spend money and I think they did a good job.

With how much young talent they have I think they will be just as good. They have a good starting pitching and and there number one priority was relief pitching. They have a nicely rounded team that should be around were they were last year. And velocity is something that can be worked on.

While winning the World Series is not something people expected, they only won THREE more games then they did in 09'. Torres who was a 5th OF in 09 changed the way he played the game drastically. After finally taking ADD medication and seeing a therapist and also changing his swing can do wonders. He has loads of speed and is probably one of the most fit players in baseball. The addition of Huff was great, he lost close to 20 pounds in the off season looking to do what he did in the past. After a slow start he became the player he used to be with improved defense.

Timmy gave up on his leg workouts which handicapped him in the middle of the season. He recovered and did very good in the playoffs. Also having Bummgarner instead of Todd and Posey instead of Molasses Molina should be very good. Not to mention Ross over Bowker. And the possibility of Belt who is best known for plate discipline. Then hopefully our bullpen can stay healthy which hurt us a bit mid season.

Obviously not all will go right but that goes for every team. I think the Giants have enough depth to get back into the playoffs.

Money is not an issue with the Nationals as they have the richest owner in baseball.

I will finish up my write ups tomorrow.

@ViLLaiN I went to the Giants spring training last year and its in a great part of town and its a great park. Very close to hotels and lots of good places to eat. The weather down there is amazing at that time of year and there's lots of places to go see around the Scottsdale area.

12. Villain

Villain Premium

Awesome! I was looking at hotels today and I'm getting more and more psyched as time goes on. We'll probably book the room tonight. :tup: I seriously can't wait!

13. Prosthetic

Prosthetic

We stayed in the Holiday Inn Express and Suites which is about 5 minutes walking away from the park. And its right off the main road (N Scottsdale Rd) where the restaurants are. It is a college town so there are lots of bars and clubs around the area.

Be warn after the WS win the Giants fan base is biggest it has been in years. And Spring training will be packed.

14. Nicksfix

Nicksfix Premium

You won't see Larry Dolan come off of any $$$$$.$$ He's a firm believer in the development of prospects.Of which we all know,this does not always work out. :indiff: Or when he does come off of some cabbage,it's usually a player who's better years are past them.He basically uses these guys for inspiration.

Opening day in Tribe town will be a sell-out.After that,the attendance will begin to dwindle to less than admirable.You will be able to go up to Progressive Field on game day - buy a cheap seat in the bleachers - and by the end of the 2nd inning,you'll be right behind home plate,first base,or 3rd base.It happens a lot lately ... I know,my friends and I have done it.The best thing about going to a Tribe game is going to the west side flats after the game. :lol: It helps to ease some of the pain.

Oh well,still going to cheer for them,regardless. Go Tribe and best of luck to all of your teams.Hope you all have a good season. :tup:

15. spiker

spiker

Here's the first PECOTA projections for the year.

16. Prosthetic

Prosthetic

Wow... Looks like last years predictions. Yankees at 100 wins? LOL There is no way in hell they will win 100 with that terrible pitching staff. Most people on the Yankees are on the down hill of there career. The Mets will be last place and there is no way the Brewers are 12 Games under .500 with that much improvement.

17. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

You know, I am pretty interested to see what the Astros have going for themselves with these Spring Training games. I don't think too many Astros fans are expecting too much out of the 2011 Astros. However, I always believe in changing perceptions. Who picked the Astros to go all the way to the World Series in 2005? You may have a crap team, but as long as you have what it takes to make a significant run when it's money time, ANYONE can be a champ. Heck... this year's World Series could be Pirates vs. Orioles for all I'm concerned.

Go get 'em, Astros! :)

18. Villain

Villain Premium

Okay, so now we're about a week or two into Spring Training and all the peices are starting to fall into place. How is everyone feeling about their respective team(s)?

I'm feeling great about my Dodgers (duh, I'll say that every year probably!). However, unlike in past years, there doesn't seem to be much uncertainty about who'll be in the ballpark on Opening Day. We have 5 established starters, the line-up is just about set, and the bullpen has been reinforced over the winter. The only real question marks seem to be who'll fill the Belisario/Padilla bullpen holes at the start of the season. Redding, Ely, Elbert, and Troncoso seem to be the most likely canditates while the younger guys will probably be shipped off to AAA to get some work in.

As a Dodger fan, this has been a particularly interesting Spring Training because we are starting to see some of our future players get that much closer to making the team: Ivan De Jesus (2B), Dee Gordon (SS), Hector Gimenez (C), Russ Mitchell (3B), Trayvon Robinson (OF), and Rubby De La Rosa (P). Here's hoping that they all don't end up as trade bait!

19. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

The Astros picked up their first win back a few days ago against the Tigers. With limited or no TV coverage (except if you have MLB TV), it will be tough to keep up with the Astros and really gauge their progress. So I'll really know what the Astros have by the time the regular season starts up.

20. spiker

spiker

You forgot Vlad plays for the O's now but they still won't be a .500 team. No lineup in the world could make up for their starting 5.

Also, it's called Spring Training - not "Preseason".

21. Villain

Villain Premium

He made this thread before Spring Training was underway. ;)

-------

On-topic, Peavey looked pretty sharp! That's gotta feel good. Watch out for those teams coming outta Camelback Ranch-Glendale!!

22. Prosthetic

Prosthetic

Like Villian said, posted it before the vlad acquisition. They have a lot of young pitchers with plus stuff and that should be enough to get to at least .500. I will put it this way, there starting pitching is better then the YAnkees which is terrible and there offense is product of a small stadium.

23. Ken

Ken Premium

[​IMG]

Even though I think that the Yanks are suck this year!

24. spiker

spiker

What?! The Yankees rotation is not great, but it's certainly not worse than the Orioles. They've got CC, Burnett, and Phil Hughes. I know Burnett wasn't sharp last year, but his career numbers are pretty good, so I'd look for him to rebound in 2011. Hughes' stuff was good enough to earn him 18 wins in 2010.

Furthermore, the Yankees lineup would put up good offensive numbers in any stadium. It just helps them that they play in a bandbox. You're insane if you think otherwise.

Short of Cal Ripken coming back from retirement, I would be shocked if the Orioles finished above .500 or above the 5th spot in the AL East this year. Every other team in that division is going to feast on them early and often. Showalter's impressive run with the team to close out last season will be forgotten by the end of April.

I'm not a Yankees fan but you can't ignore or deny that the talent they can afford to put together every year.

25. spiker

spiker

I'll agree with that. It did feel good. I think it's still questionable that he starts the season with the club but we'll see. It feels like he's pushing it too fast but that's Jake's M.O. Don't forget Jake Peavy is the first baseball player ever to have this type of injury so nobody knows what to really expect.

If I were the White Sox management, I'm building this guy up for a late April start and going balls out until he either breaks down or succeeds. They need to know what they've got with Peavy and if he can't cut it, then they just pass on his 2013 option.

In the end, Peavy could end up being the absolute worst White Sox acquisition I've ever seen. This guy has barely seen the field since he's arrived in Chicago and he's costing $16-$17 mil a year to boot. There's so many more pitchers in MLB that I would rather see the White Sox paying that type of money over the past year and a half.

26. Prosthetic

Prosthetic

CC is a very good pitcher and AJ and Hughes are decent with good stuff but are too inconsistent. They are bad if not terrible as often as they are good, which is not something you can have in your #2 and #3 slots. You have no idea with you will get with Nova or Colon, and Mitre is terrible.

As for the Orioles, Matusz is a young ace in the making. He is one of my breakout players this year. Guthrie is a solid pitcher that eats up innings. I also think Britton will be good but he will be limited which will hurt the O's. The rest of there prospects have room to grow and I think Tillman will be a late bloomer and become a solid #4 pitcher.

They aren't that far off, and I think the DUKE is a big key for the O's. If he is healthy long enough I think the O's could have .500 pretty easily.

As for the Offense, yes the Yankees offense is good but its fricking old. Arod is on the down swing and is no longer nearly as good. While he still drives in runs and hits the long ball, he extra base hits are going down as his stolen bases. Most people call it getting old. Jeter isn't very good anymore and Jorge Posada is old and dwindling, but could be better in a full year at DH.

While the O's just added a player that could get (Reynolds) 40+ HRs a SS that is lightyears better then Izturis (Hardy), another player that could hit 30 bombs and drive in 100 (Vlad) and ANOTHER player who hit 35 HRs just last year (Lee). And we haven't even started talking about what they already had, (Wieters, Roberts, Jones, Markakis and Scott) This team has TONS of power, and 5-6 guys that can drive in 100. All while having players with speed, good defense. This offense can be just as good as the Yankees, if not better. They have 2-3 players that could break out and have all-star caliber seasons.

That's just what I think is going to happen. And don't dismiss a managers advantage, there is a reason the Padres played so well last year and why the Giants seem get players to get back to there former self. Managers do make a huge difference is baseball.

27. spiker

spiker

I want to address that post but I feel like it would just be a futile enterprise so I'll say this one thing - it's "their", not "there".

Enjoy the 2011 season and the Giants reign on the title. It will be short lived.

Can a mod or someone merge the two baseball threads together, please?

28. Prosthetic

Prosthetic

You aren't going to address is because on paper the difference between the O's and Yankees is that the Yankees has a much better pen other then that the teams are pretty even. I do know the difference between "their" and "there" but I type in haste like most people so everything isn't always 100% correct.

Also, was that jab really necessary? I have already once demonstrated to you once why the Giants have a great chance to get back into the series.

29. spiker

spiker

No. That's laughable, actually. I'm not going to address it because there no sense in debating it. You seem deadset that the O's are some resurgent powerhouse who are on par with the Yankees. (I almost couldn't even type that because the notion is so ridiculous) I'll let you choose my avatar if Baltimore finishes higher than 5th place in the AL East this season. I'll quote that in my sig if you want.

It wasn't a jab, it's just the pragmatic stance you or anyone should take. The Giants play in one of the toughest divisions in baseball and the chances that they are able to replicate 2010 over another 162+ games just isn't likely. I know you really want to believe that they have a good chance to repeat, and it's true that they have a better chance than some teams the NL, but all that I meant was that anything can happen and the chances to repeat will be small. There are 29 teams that don't win the World Series every year. Think about it. Enjoy it while it lasts because it doesn't happen often but it's almost surreal when it does - unless of course, you're a Yankee fan.

30. Prosthetic

Prosthetic

I'm not saying the O's are going to be a powerhouse the fact is they have a good offense in a division where the parks are small. All I'm saying is that I think they can be a .500 team.

As for the Giants, your original statement was that they overachieved and their is no way they can do it again. Which is ridiculous to say the least, considering how much they improved since the first half of last season.