[Mod] Gran Turismo 2 plus (bug fixes, restored content and new content) - beta 7 released

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 2,890 comments
#Ifoundquotebutton
You should read about the 1987 Subaru XT/Alcyone (predecessor of the SVX/Alcyone found in the game). That had electronic AWD and adjustable suspension.
Ahh indeed, the Subaru Alcyone also has interesting features. Thanks, I didn't know about its specifics. But I haven't seen anything about electronic traction control. On the other hand, for the suspension, it's equipped with Citroën's hydropneumatic system, a little modified if I've understood correctly. But this system, while it does allow you to vary the ride height (and having owned a Xantia, I can tell you that it's only in the normal position that it's really drivable) and to maintain a constant ride height regardless of the load on board, isn't really an active system. Unless, but the article I read doesn't detail it, it's taken from the Xantia's "Activa" system, which adjusts the hardness of the suspension in real time. I'll try to find out more.

So you don't consider the Skyline to be a luxury and/or high-end car?
Well, in Japan it's certainly considered a top-of-the-range car. But what I mean is, when you see a car coming to Europe at around 40,000€ that offers performance close to or even equivalent to cars costing 150-200,000€. A car that in Europe was just seen as a cool little coupe (or a cool sedan for 4-door models) by the vast majority of the uninitiated. It was pretty cheap. (For people with that budget, of course. It's all relative.)

Supposedly, the R34 had a more advanced "Pro" version of ATTESA that also allowed left/right torque transfer at the rear wheels, like the Evo GSR IV+'s Active Yaw Controller. The game doesn't allow an AYC on the R34 though. so I'm guessing that part isn't modeled.
I'm not sure if there's a "pro" version, it seems to me that the ATTESA, with only one S (Sorry for the mistake.), also incorporates this function. That's what I meant by "distribute the power to the wheels that need it most." But it's possible that it's only from the R34 onwards, but not for sure.

As for the game, I'd say that there seems to be a function integrated into the basic Skyline, which explains why it's not possible to fit one. (This is a guess, nothing verified.) This is what makes the Skyline so easy to drive, I think, but I'm afraid I'm talking nonsense based on my obviously ill-founded feelings.

I tried to run the game today with ePSX (V2.05) on my PC. (crappy laptop)(Acer Aspire 3 A315-34-P4Q6)

It stays on a black screen then crashes after 15 seconds.

Does the game require a specific emulator or configuration? Does anyone have a better one?

If not, I'll have to wait until I can burn it to CD and use the swap technique on my PSOne.

Last edited:
I tried to run the game today with ePSX (V2.05) on my PC. (crappy laptop)(Acer Aspire 3 A315-34-P4Q6)

It stays on a black screen then crashes after 15 seconds.

Does the game require a specific emulator or configuration? Does anyone have a better one?

If not, I'll have to wait until I can burn it to CD and use the swap technique on my PSOne.
Check out the emulator clocking, I had mine set on no integer so it kept crashing until I looked it up 👍

And yes, this mod is really, really cool!!

Last edited:
I've not posted any progress in a while, so here's something I've been working on for a bit - an overhaul of the Vipers in GT2, because the more I looked at them, the more they seemed off[...]

[...]Since the Vipers in GT2 already had a lot of 1997 details, I also went the other way with them and removed all of the 1999 changes, and split them off into independent cars[...]

Dodge Viper like in GT1? Dodge Viper like in GT2? Why not both? (or a more Latin-American "as duas coisas").

Love it.

@Johnny Caisse : Thanks, but I'm not sure which setting you mean? I just found "Overclocking CPU" which had no setting defined. I set it to 1X. Otherwise I don't know where it's set. Can you please explain where it is ?

Edit: That's it and it's ok. The game is on. Thank you very much.

@2lazydontcare : Thank's 2lazydontcare, you're right. It's called E-TS PRO.

Edit: I think you meant the "4WD on demand" system? I've just come to see more details, and if that's what it is, then it's effectively a transmission that can be modified at the touch of a button. The difference is that it's an ON/OFF system and not really an active system. But it's also a cool option in the '80s.

It arrived in 85 (if I'm not mistaken.) before Nissan's ATTESA, which arrived in 1987 on the "Bluebird RNU12".

Last edited:
Is it possible (again, this is a technical question, not really a request to modify the game) to do another VMAX test by coding just a 10 or 20 KM long straight line ?
Actually, PD themselves made a license track sort of what you're describing in development. It's left over in one of the demos and is called "L_test_j". It's an extremely long straight line with a massive jump in the middle of it.
But i guess they decided against using it in the end.

There's also a finite amount of space they can build a track on, both for the minimap graphics window, and in terms of internal units. You may have noticed if you've gone out of a track like Laguna Seca or Motorsport Land that when you get far enough, you start seeing clones of bits of the track at repeat intervals. I believe it happens because of a unit... overflow, sort of how there are "universes" in Super Mario 64 levels (look it up if you're curious, it's super interesting).
I believe that limitation would prevent making tracks more than a few kilometers long, even if it used a diagonal approach to maximize the length.

Screenshots of the track in the spoiler
Starting point.
1716678453693.png

The Jump
1716678571832.png

1716678607160.png

End point
1716678490303.png

Last edited:
Ahh cool I didn't know, thanks for the info ! (I'll check out Mario 64 too.) Is that a GT2 demo ?

Too bad they didn't use it. It would have been nice as a VMAX test. I guess the jump is there to avoid ending up on the original track ? (Although on the second screenshot, it looks like you're below ground level, but maybe that's just an impression ?) Do you think it's been removed from the final version ? Would it be accessible by leaving the circuit ?

From where the point is on the first screenshot, the limits look pretty big all the same. But maybe they had the terrain inconsistency concerns you're talking about on this track ?

In any case, if it had been a test license, we could have had just one car and no possible adjustments, which would have limited the interest a little.

Good night everyone. :)

Last edited:
There is no under / over track lol. The minimap defaults to the first map in the folder (Autumn Ring 2player's) when there are none to use for the current track.
It's the retail / final game, but i ported the track into it for testing.
I'm on top of the ramp from the second image, on the 3rd image.
I think the distance limit is a physical limit with the file format. I'm talking in hypothetics here, but cars do have maximum coordinates for their vertices, because the unit system is limited. I'm fairly sure it's the same for tracks, so the imprecision pez2k mentioned might not even get to happen before an actual file limitation does.
Also yeah, this track only has a single spawn point, like most license tracks.

Oh, right, it's a totally independent track from Autumn ring, but since they didn't provide a minimap, the game takes one "by default". Is that right ?

As for the rest, I didn't understand everything precisely, but I think I got the general idea. If you go too far = no good !

But have you been able to test it in game ? Did you have any problems ?

I think you meant the "4WD on demand" system? I've just come to see more details, and if that's what it is, then it's effectively a transmission that can be modified at the touch of a button. The difference is that it's an ON/OFF system and not really an active system. But it's also a cool option in the '80s.
That was on the 85-87 XT's (and apparently, an option on some later 4 cyl XT's in America). I was talking about the full time system the XT/XT6 used from 87 (and a half?) - 91.

Last edited:
Back