[Mod] Gran Turismo 2 plus (bug fixes, restored content and new content) - beta 7 released

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 2,813 comments
Drag mode wasn't cut late at all, but very early on. The only trace left is that arcade menu entry we all know about. So there's nothing to restore for it. Until GT2 is (if ever) decompiled in a way that happened for Driver 2 recently, Drag mode will have stay as it is right now
oh im sorry for my lack of knowledge of the gt2 time line :/

Seeing this entire project is great, as I have always liked the idea of being able to add even more onto the already giant roster. So we can add in textures, but is it possible to add models? Not even just adding something to the new or used car stores, I mean adding in a new car entirely. I am very confident I would be able to make models in the same style as Gran Turismo so if it was possible to put them in the game somehow, I would love to know.

I assume you mean an entirely custom 3d model and textures, in which case it's a no, because nobody wants to look into understanding the last bit of the model format that we don't know about and i've been the only one to dare research... the reflection data.
I don't understand how it works at all.
Provided nobody but me goes into it, it'll never be possible.

I assume you mean an entirely custom 3d model and textures, in which case it's a no, because nobody wants to look into understanding the last bit of the model format that we don't know about and i've been the only one to dare research... the reflection data.
I don't understand how it works at all.
Provided nobody but me goes into it, it'll never be possible.
Would it be possible/viable to simply use an already existing set of reflection data to work as a placeholder? While I know some code I am by no means an expert, but I would think that as long as it isn’t referencing something that isn’t there, it would be okay functionally.

Would it be possible/viable to simply use an already existing set of reflection data to work as a placeholder? While I know some code I am by no means an expert, but I would think that as long as it isn’t referencing something that isn’t there, it would be okay functionally.

The reflection / normals data is per face, so when creating a new face you need the correct data or it will appear completely matte with no reflections. There's also a chunk of per-model data that in some way links with the per-face data, so it's not just a case of copying random data from another model's faces either. Using data from random faces would also end up with a very distorted-looking car as the reflection data would be for faces that should be at very different angles and positions.

It's possible, with a ton of hex editor work, to move around the vertices of existing models to get a decent-looking result. That's quite limiting though, so only really allows for variants of existing cars.

The restrictions on models are quite tight too - maximum of 255 vertices, and one 256x224 texture for the whole model including all LODs. The palette of the texture is selected per face as it's drawn, with a limit of 16 colours per palette / face and 16 palettes overall (with three reserved for specific uses).

The reflection / normals data is per face, so when creating a new face you need the correct data or it will appear completely matte with no reflections. There's also a chunk of per-model data that in some way links with the per-face data, so it's not just a case of copying random data from another model's faces either. Using data from random faces would also end up with a very distorted-looking car as the reflection data would be for faces that should be at very different angles and positions.

It's possible, with a ton of hex editor work, to move around the vertices of existing models to get a decent-looking result. That's quite limiting though, so only really allows for variants of existing cars.

The restrictions on models are quite tight too - maximum of 255 vertices, and one 256x224 texture for the whole model including all LODs. The palette of the texture is selected per face as it's drawn, with a limit of 16 colours per palette / face and 16 palettes overall (with three reserved for specific uses).
I guess I’ll just look into making new variants for now. Of course if it were easy it would be no fun...

Hey guys, (thank you @RandomCarGuy17 for sharing it on youtube), check out this for a future build :D... This is basically the key to get the closest to a remaster we can have!! :gtpflag:

Don't know who did it (possibly the same user) or if the author is here... But it's gonna be awesome if you get it for the mod!!:cheers:

Also, don't know if you guys are still taking suggestions, but since I'm not seeing it here... Can you guys reduce the weight of the Wedsport Celica Gt300?? For me it drives me crazy that beauty is the worst GT300 when I believe it was quite competitive IRL... :odd:

Hey guys, (thank you @RandomCarGuy17 for sharing it on youtube), check out this for a future build :D... This is basically the key to get the closest to a remaster we can have!! :gtpflag:

Don't know who did it (possibly the same user) or if the author is here... But it's gonna be awesome if you get it for the mod!!:cheers:
Hello there! Funny thing about you posting this, it was actually already shared by the actual creator in this modding thread: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/modding-and-restoration-discussion.374974/page-13

So yeah, if you wanted to talk to the author; he is here.

Last edited:
Don't know who did it (possibly the same user) or if the author is here... But it's gonna be awesome if you get it for the mod!!
Can you guys reduce the weight of the Wedsport Celica Gt300?? For me it drives me crazy that beauty is the worst GT300 when I believe it was quite competitive IRL...

That texture pack is done with special functionality of a specific emulator that is completely outside of the capabilities of the game. It's not the game that's modified, it's the emulator doing its own texture rendering over the top. It will never be possible on an actual PlayStation, and it will never be possible by modifying the game itself.

As for the Weds Celica, it has been mentioned before but I've not seen a source for a weight figure that is reliable enough to say that PD are definitely wrong about it. It's trivial enough to change the weight, but it's knowing what to change it to which is difficult.

As for the Weds Celica, it has been mentioned before but I've not seen a source for a weight figure that is reliable enough to say that PD are definitely wrong about it. It's trivial enough to change the weight, but it's knowing what to change it to which is difficult.
Afaik, the gt300s in gt2 weight from 850 up to 1000kg

Is is possible to add another turbo upgrade to the Honda Beats?
Out of all fully modified Kei cars, the Beat lacks, having max power output of 130-ish BHP compared to the rest of the Kei cars that have a max power output of >170 BHP.

If anyone is interested in what goes into GT2+, I've now open-sourced all of the fixes and mods that it's compiled from, in case people want to use small parts of it for their own personal use.

Is is possible to add another turbo upgrade to the Honda Beats?
Out of all fully modified Kei cars, the Beat lacks, having max power output of 130-ish BHP compared to the rest of the Kei cars that have a max power output of >170 BHP.

It's possible, but I probably won't - I'm trying to focus only on adding upgrades where they're obviously missing or broken (e.g. the Clio having no major power upgrades at all). Trying to do a balance pass would end up with me revising every single car in the game ultimately, it's a slippery slope!

2 questions.
1. Why are a significant number of cars missing production years?
2. With how far you've gone with this mod in terms of returning content, is even anything left to bring back now?

2 questions.
1. Why are a significant number of cars missing production years?
2. With how far you've gone with this mod in terms of returning content, is even anything left to bring back now?

Outside of the Japanese production cars, the years are mostly just used to distinguish different cars with the same name, for example Camaro Z28 '69 / '97. Everything without a year is generally either not a production car, not Japanese, or current year (1999).

There definitely are a few things still to restore, some easier than others. As always after a release of GT2+, there are research obstacles to overcome before being able to implement or fix more items from my to-do list.

Also, probably nothing major, but the E55 AMG's exhaust tips change colour with body colour (photo attached).

But apart from fixing and improving, there isn't really anything else bring back for the player, e.g Racing Modifications for the Honda Life, is there?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Yeah, the E55 bug is on the to-do list. As above, yes, there are plenty of other things that can be restored with enough work. Off the top of my head I can think of four GT1 cars and eight cut GT2 cars straight away - not all of them are possible yet, but some are.

Hi, I have a question about the stats of the cars, as we know for that era existed the gentlemans agrement, and that the japanese cars has different stats in the garage, with this my question is, the stats of the garage are the in-game data? or if for some reason the engine curve changes those reamain the same

Yes, the garage shows the actual physics data. The dealerships use their own non-physics display values.
OK with that answer said, i have my real question, because i needed the real hp data of the r34 i checked the power data of the car, and i noticed that maybe the car has too much torque, because the garage data said that it has 46.3 kg.m, and wikipedia and the own gt wiki said the the car has 40kg.m which is more realistic if you take a torque curve
for disclaimer, this is something i am basing it in the results of the r34 that drivetribe tested a while ago

Hello. It's the first time I post, but I've been following the great work of pez2k and submaniac93 and the others who help to unravel more and more each part of this game. Submaniac, I have seen a video of your work in relation to perfecting the 3D models of some cars. Especially in the video posted on YouTube of the Peugeot 306. Since they are first stage models of the game, and there are others like that too. My question is, will it be possible in the future, to make these changes to be put into the game. I thank you for the opportunity.m

As the old saves are not compatible with this mod, if anyone needs it, I've just cooked some Gold licenses for GT2 Plus [B, A, I-C, I-B, I-A & S] ;)
Thought it might come in handy for whomever doesn't want to do the Licenses again (I know some of them can be a bit.. frustrating :banghead::banghead::banghead:)

Licenses status:

01. GT2+ Progress Status.PNG

And the prize cars of course.. :D

02. GT2+ Garrage.PNG

03. GT2+ [B] Spoon S2000 [Red].PNG

04. GT2+ [A] Dodge Concept Car [Orange].PNG

05. GT2+ [I-C] [R] Mitsubishi 3000GT LM Edition [Yellow].PNG

06. GT2+ [I-B] [R] Honda CR-X Del Sol LM Edition [Black].PNG

07. GT2+ [I-A] [R] FTO LM Edition [Black].PNG

08. [S] [R] GT-one [Red].PNG

This is a clean new game, thus there are no races done, options changed or anything else other than the licenses. ̶C̶o̶m̶p̶a̶t̶i̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶N̶T̶S̶C̶-̶U̶ ̶V̶e̶r̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶.̶
EDIT: Should now be compatible with all regions, US - [SCUS-94455] / EU [SCES-02380] / JP [SCPS-10116] - File updated
Happy Hollidays! And Happy Racing!.. :gtpflag:

Attachments

• [GT2+] All Gold Licenses & License Prize Cars [All Regions].zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
More dumb questions:
1. Is it possible to change the time it takes for the car to shift gear with transmission parts (to something, like, GT4 levels of stock trans shifting time)?
2. Some cars that don't come with turbocharging from stock that can have a turbocharger fitted later on don't have an audible indication that it has that turbocharger fitted. Is this intentional?

1. It's possible to adjust the shiftung speed,, but it's per car, and there's no guarantee it can be made similar to gt4

2. What ? Every car without exception gets a turbo gauge when equipped with a turbo. If a car is na then there's none.. so i guess it's intentional if i'm understanding you right

OK with that answer said, i have my real question, because i needed the real hp data of the r34 i checked the power data of the car, and i noticed that maybe the car has too much torque, because the garage data said that it has 46.3 kg.m, and wikipedia and the own gt wiki said the the car has 40kg.m which is more realistic if you take a torque curve

Both the base GT-R and V spec have the following torque curve values:
21.50 kgm @ 1500 rpm
24.70 kgm @ 2000 rpm
28.40 kgm @ 2500 rpm
32.50 kgm @ 3000 rpm
36.20 kgm @ 3500 rpm
39.20 kgm @ 4000 rpm
39.90 kgm @ 4500 rpm
38.00 kgm @ 5000 rpm
35.40 kgm @ 5500 rpm
33.10 kgm @ 6000 rpm
30.70 kgm @ 6500 rpm
28.60 kgm @ 7000 rpm
27.20 kgm @ 7500 rpm
24.00 kgm @ 8000 rpm
19.52 kgm @ 8500 rpm

The dealership stat is 40.00 kgm @ 4400 rpm, which matches up with the curve. However, both cars then have a 116% power multiplier applied to their engine, which is what bumps it up to the 46.3 kgm peak used in the physics.

Submaniac, I have seen a video of your work in relation to perfecting the 3D models of some cars. ... My question is, will it be possible in the future, to make these changes to be put into the game.

In theory, if someone figures out how the reflection / normals data works it'll be possible to heavily edit / import models. Until then, Sub's edits are not all possible to put into the game.

80T
As the old saves are not compatible with this mod, if anyone needs it, I've just cooked some Gold licenses for GT2 Plus

Thanks for the contribution. The demo save in the first post does have all licenses passed, but it doesn't have the prize cars.

More dumb questions:
1. Is it possible to change the time it takes for the car to shift gear with transmission parts (to something, like, GT4 levels of stock trans shifting time)?
2. Some cars that don't come with turbocharging from stock that can have a turbocharger fitted later on don't have an audible indication that it has that turbocharger fitted. Is this intentional?

As answered, yes, shift times can be adjusted. For the turbo kits, some just have very, very faint sounds as they're running very low boost. The Venturi 400 was one of them, which doesn't make sense as the turbos are very audible on the real car, so I had to base the previously missing stock turbos on the 300's turbo kits rather than the 400's.

For the turbo kits, some just have very, very faint sounds as they're running very low boost.

I have a Mazda 323 Sedan in-game that had turbocharging used from stage 1 to stage 3. Only on the stage 3 setup I could actually hear slightly that that car had a sizeable turbo setup fitted. 1 and 2 don't really give any spooling or wastegate sound. Problem is, I only just confirmed this, so my earlier statement is pretty much invalidated.

As for the gear shifts, I didn't quite mean to have it be replicated from GT4, but rather carry the same sense of shifting action that game portrayed. I simply found some basic cars to shift too fast, similarly to GT5 and GT6, which was a little immersion-breaking. But since it's separate for every car and not by tune form as I initially thought, this idea isn't viable anymore.

Last edited:
80T
And the prize cars of course
It's missing one; the GT-One from the Super Licence. Still, cool of ya to do that for those of us that would rather not redo it all again because getting gold on all licence tests is ridiculously hard.

Back