Modding and restoration discussion

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 702 comments
Hi guys, i want to know how to extract gt2.vol (i have original cd) and all the other steps to arrive to the files and texture of cars and tracks.
Thanks for the help :D

EDIT

Ok i have the GT2.VOL and all the tools to open it... now i would to know how to proceed to modify the textures (for example converting cdp to tim to bmp and backwards) and overall how to modify the cdo.
Thank you so much

Last edited:
In case you missed it: famed developer adeyblue recently released one of his most anticipated GT2 tools: GMCreator, which basically lets you extract, modify and repack GT Mode menu screens:
unknown.png

It is available for download here.

Oh yeah, @SuperFrizzio showed me that on youtube. It's rather neat now that you can edit menus and essentially alter the game quite a bit.

Although, I don't know the limit of menu editing. Can you add cars to the New Car lineups? I would like to finally be able to include both the 1996 and 1999 Dodge Vipers in the same dealership for instance.

If not, that's still cool. I might try making custom menus myself eventually. Either just make the icons a different color or maybe recreate the GT2 demo menus.

Last edited:
Yeah, you can paint up entire new dealerships if you want.. Of course you'd still need to add new body IDs if you want to add entirely new cars, but menu-wise you can literally do everything you want. The GUI is simple, effective and everything you need to know is in the help file provided within the archive. And yes you can recreate the menus from the demo builds.. MMRivit is working on it.

I myself have restored the inaccessible Peugeot 206 Race

Yeah, you can paint up entire new dealerships if you want.. Of course you'd still need to add new body IDs if you want to add entirely new cars, but menu-wise you can literally do everything you want. The GUI is simple, effective and everything you need to know is in the help file provided within the archive. And yes you can recreate the menus from the demo builds.. MMRivit is working on it.
Thank you again. That is good to know and nice on restoring that scraped race. I actually saw your video before and placed it on my Gran Turismo 2 mod playlist (on my youtube channel).

The playlist if anyone is interested:
[

It's compiled of videos made by various people that mod GT2 including myself of course.

EDIT: Okay, it didn't leave a link and just embedded.
Annoyingly, someone deleted some of their modding videos; that's a shame.

2nd Edit:

Cool, someone made a Calsonic livery for the 1997 JGTC Skyline in GT2 and in the same video; there's an AI car driving a 1998 Pennzoil Nismo GT-R (I'm guessing a reskinned Unisia Jecs Skyline, I had the same idea).

Last edited:
@SuperFrizzio Those are quite nice, I'm guessing that it's possible now to create custom restrictions for events. Also, the only thing I would change is moving Porsche to North City since it's a German make.

---
This does give me idea for new events to create. A DTM Championship for one could be possible, there's 4 DTMish cars in GT2.

Unfortunately custom events are not yet possible to do but I've already prepare some screens for them.. I do have +120 custom events written in a diary (Most of them were written many years ago when I was small) and I can't wait to implement them into the game whenever there will be a tool for creating custom races.

Yeah the guy made a few renders in a 3d program. Looks alright, the espace f1 pike's peak is the best one so far imo.

Unfortunately custom events are not yet possible to do but I've already prepare some screens for them.. I do have +120 custom events written in a diary (Most of them were written many years ago when I was small) and I can't wait to implement them into the game whenever there will be a tool for creating custom races.

If you manage to add dracing racing and restore the cars which got cut you are my hero

Working on another tool that allows export / import of the wheel textures and palettes, so here's a little demo of it.

life97-rmwheels.png

life97-rmwheels2.png

life97-rmwheels3.png

The wheels are a set of Enkeis from the aftermarket wheel shop, but with a quick hue shift to match the body colour instead of a red rim. Since each car colour has its own palette, I figure colour-coded wheels made a good example of what's possible.

It'll also make adding wheels to pre-release cars like the A4 Avant a 5-second job rather than lots of hex editing - export from the retail A4, import to the Avant, and done.

Did this tool ever get released? I went through most of the thread and didn't see it, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss it.

There are a few cars I would love to swap the wheels on, first and foremost the '69 Corvette 427. It's always bugged me that the race mod version has the stock wheels, and the stock version has wheels that would look at home on the race mod.

Regardless, this mod is great. It's the GT2 I always wanted. Thanks for all your efforts pez2k.

hello guys, I've been making some mods in gran turismo 2 using high resolution textures, I think the results were really cool and I'll share them here. It is the first time that I modify a game, I used photoshop to edit the textures. Hope you like it! :cheers:

How the F did you get this to work? That's definitely not on your average emulator or on actual ps1 o.O
Is there an emu out there capable of replacing textures like this?

Edit: Ah yeah, BeetlePSX + Texmod probably. Forgot about that

Very nice quality overall. Gives it a Dreamcast feel

Last edited:
No offense intended, but shouldn't this thread be reserved to actual GT2 data mods? What you're showing us is injected textures on an [redacted], not something that could be used on real hardware. I don't think it qualifies as proper modding like stuff previously posted here.

I couldn't find any thread using this method. I thought this one was for any mod or restoration, anyway, if this is not the right place I can move it somewhere else...

Last edited:
I managed to use the GT2WheelSwap.exe program to change some of the wheels within the GT2+ mod, and when I went to play the game, the changes I had made were intact, however there were some unusual sound issues: on the main menu, the chime as you select the different options didn't "echo" like it normally does, it only made one short sound and abruptly cut off; similar issues occurred in the home screen, as there is no chime when moving between garage, go race, machine test etc, also no chimes when scrolling through the cars in the garage list.

here's the steps I took, maybe somebody can point out if I did something wrong:
  1. mounted the .bin and copied GT2.VOL to my pc
  2. used GTVolTools to explode GT2.VOL to a directory
  3. extracted the .cdp and .cnp files from their respective .gz archives and used GT2WheelSwap to make my desired changes
  4. replaced the .cdp and .cnp files within the .gz archives using 7zip
  5. rebuilt the GT2.VOL file using GTVolTools
  6. used the IsoFileReplace.exe program included in GTVolTools to replace the GT2.VOL file within the .bin
Just as a test, I exploded the GT2.VOL, then immediately rebuilt it and replaced the file in the .bin and it worked normally, so I can only assume I made some other error while making the desired changes. Is there another program I should be using to replace the files within the .gz archives other than 7zip? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

That's a known issue with GTVolTools that happens when a repacked VOL (or, in this case, a VOL generated by a third-party tool) is exploded. The last file in the archive, sys.ins (found in the "sound" directory), is destroyed, and you no longer have proper menu sounds as a result.

What you may want to try is exploding a vanilla VOL, copying that file to your GT2+ exploded VOL's directory and repacking that.

Back