[Mod] Gran Turismo 2 plus (bug fixes, restored content and new content) - beta 7 released

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 2,811 comments
Here's some more headache:
1. That "damage model" function in 2P mode. Is it possible to incorporate it in GT mode in any way?
2. Would it be viable to apply tyre wear for the GT300 and GT500 championships? I feel like it's too easy to cheese these races by simply choosing SS racing tyre, since all GT300/500 cars come with most tyres from the go.

1. That "damage model" function in 2P mode. Is it possible to incorporate it in GT mode in any way?
2. Would it be viable to apply tyre wear for the GT300 and GT500 championships?

No idea about the damage model - as it's not used anywhere in GT mode there hasn't been anything documented in the data that could relate to it. Tyre wear was roughly figured out by Submaniac I believe, so it would be possible to enable it. I'm not planning to make any events more difficult though - it's up to the player what sort of challenge they want, and if someone enjoys just cruising through the game with an Escudo or whatever then they should have that choice.

Do you plan on ousting the few early 90's cars from the 80's sports car championship?

Probably not - they're all just slightly newer trim levels of cars that were in production in the 80s. Only the JZA70 Supra wasn't available in the 80s in that particular spec, but the GA70 and MA70 models were.

Excuse me for asking, why does the update 5.1 for the European version look very small compared to others?
And another question: is it possible to put the 5.1 update on an image patched with version 4.1, or do you need a clean image of the game?

The mod is based on the PAL game as it contains the most fixes and the most cars out of the box. The PAL patch size is actually quite representative of the amount of files added or changed - the patches for the other regions are much larger as they're updating those versions of the game to use most of the PAL data. The biggest patches are for the older versions of the US and Japanese releases, which apply all of the updates from the newer versions, then PAL over the top.

I don't provide upgrade patches from older versions of the mod, so you'll need to start from your original disc image again. It's already a lot of work building 20 different patches for each release, so also providing patches for upgrades from what is now four previous versions is just too much to be feasible.

The mod is based on the PAL game as it contains the most fixes and the most cars out of the box. The PAL patch size is actually quite representative of the amount of files added or changed - the patches for the other regions are much larger as they're updating those versions of the game to use most of the PAL data. The biggest patches are for the older versions of the US and Japanese releases, which apply all of the updates from the newer versions, then PAL over the top.

I don't provide upgrade patches from older versions of the mod, so you'll need to start from your original disc image again. It's already a lot of work building 20 different patches for each release, so also providing patches for upgrades from what is now four previous versions is just too much to be feasible.
Thank You sir, it's clear now. And Happy New Year to You.

Just a quick one as I don't know if this would fall under the scope of this here project:

Is there any chance for the Others > Racing modification to be "unlocked" so that once you've won a prize car or purchased a racing modification you could buy it again just so you could change the livery for the cost ? It's been bugging me forever that I can win some cars ex. eduro races just so that the color it's not the one that I wanted. I would gladly pay the Cr for the racing modification / livery color scheme.

Cheers!

80T
Is there any chance for the Others > Racing modification to be "unlocked" so that once you've won a prize car or purchased a racing modification you could buy it again just so you could change the livery for the cost ?
Or better yet, just make it so that once purchased, can be changed on a whim. I actually thought that this could be done since one can actually go back and look at the different modifications and even select the purchase option (turns out this is not so). I meant to inquire about this myself, but completely forgot... :/

80T
Is there any chance for the Others > Racing modification to be "unlocked" so that once you've won a prize car or purchased a racing modification you could buy it again just so you could change the livery for the cost ?

No, the game will only allow a part to be purchased once per car. The chosen colour isn't part of the upgrade data either, setting the car colour is a special action done at the same time as purchasing and equipping the RM part. Editing the savegame or values in RAM is the only way to repaint a car.

Hello, please tell me if it is possible to transfer some unique wheels from GT1 to GT2? For example, the Toyota Chaser tourer V RM in GT1 has wheels (photo attached) that are not present in GT2.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210103_123504_com.yandex.browser.jpg
    Screenshot_20210103_123504_com.yandex.browser.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 51
Hello, please tell me if it is possible to transfer some unique wheels from GT1 to GT2?

Unfortunately not - GT1's wheel textures are angular heptagons while GT2's are circles, and because they're so low-resolution they can't be scaled up to fit.

The NSX-R LM GT2 fortunately already had its wheels used for an RM in GT2, but for the Chaser LM Submaniac actually had to model a similar set of wheels in 3D, render them face-on, then shrink and tweak the texture until it looked good in-game. This is also why the special colour cars ported from GT1 don't have their unique wheels.

Actually, GT1's wheels are circles, just the faces are 8 quads instead of 16 tris and the mapping isn't perfectly circular. They're still 16-sided cylinders. The resolution is where the issue is. IIRC, GT1's wheels are something like 31x31, and include tire sidewalls, while GT2 has rim-only textures in 47x47. The tradeoff is no more tire tread and writings, but much cleaner and more detailed wheel textures. GT2's wheels are also 16-sided cylinders, but made in a very different way, and nearly 3x as polygon-heavy as GT1's

Yeah, i had to make the Chaser LM's wheels from scratch in 3D and render them as a 47x47 texture. It works so well i'm certain this is how PD made wheel textures for GT2. I used the hidden wheelshop's screens that were found in GT1's Trial Demo as reference to make them, as it has higher resolution images of pretty much every wheel design used on LMs and RMs in GT1.
I'd been meaning to make them for GT2 but never got around to actually do it besides for the Chaser

Last edited:
Sorry for the inappropriate question, are there any differences between the Honda NSX-R LM GT2 and the Honda NSX-R GT1 Turbo?

Yes - the bodywork is quite significantly different, the GT1 car has fixed headlights instead of popups, more aero work put into it, more vents, wider arches, and so on. The GT2 car uses more stock-looking bodywork. The GT1 car is also quite a bit more powerful (~380ps vs ~650ps in real life, but the GT2 car is at 550ps in Gran Turismo), and should be faster around a track.

GT1:
Honda-NSX-GT1-race-car.jpg

GT2:
hxii90nr2lbjbiftdwkk.jpg

Hello, I bought a Peugeot 206 gti, but in the garage this car is marked as Peugeot 106 1.6 s16, please fix this error.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210104_115849_com.epsxe.ePSXe.jpg
    Screenshot_20210104_115849_com.epsxe.ePSXe.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20210104_115844_com.epsxe.ePSXe.jpg
    Screenshot_20210104_115844_com.epsxe.ePSXe.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 37
Hello, I bought a Peugeot 206 gti, but in the garage this car is marked as Peugeot 106 1.6 s16, please fix this error.

It's a bug from the original US version which isn't normally noticeable due to the Exxon version of the car being used. It's already on the to-do list.

I'm guessing it was a copy-paste work if the GT mode features 2P settings even if it doesn't need to?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean - if you're referring to the settings menu before entering GT mode, then yeah, it's the same on both discs as it's editing one common area of settings.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean - if you're referring to the settings menu before entering GT mode, then yeah, it's the same on both discs as it's editing one common area of settings.

So I'm guessing that removing the 2P settings part from GT mode is going to be out of the question anyway? Even though it serves no real purpose for GT mode in the first place.

Is there a reason for the massive price difference between the Lotus Esprit V8 GT (87320 c) and the V8 SE (226940 c) models? Only main difference I see between these two cars is the rear wing.

Is there a reason for the massive price difference between the Lotus Esprit V8 GT (87320 c) and the V8 SE (226940 c) models? Only main difference I see between these two cars is the rear wing.
Not really, AFAIK the GT and SE were quite similar cars IRL, perhaps it was meant to be 126,940Cr but there's nothing to actually confirm the price is a bug/mistake so just as much chance it's meant to be that much in the game. In real life the SE was the more expensive of the two but the differences weren't huge.

Probably not relevent to this GT2 restoration mod though.

Last edited:
The prices are just wacky in general - I swapped the A4 and S4 prices and swapped the Cougar prices because they seemed really obviously wrong, but there are so many that don't make much sense.

Great Work pez2k!!!
I'm wondering if something could be done about forcing some race restrictions. Maybe for a more realistic/harder version of the mod.
Please check this post i did years ago:

Hi,

anyone knows if would it be possible to mod the game files so that to introduce some restrictions to the type of car you can use for each race event?

For example:

As is, you can enter with a 4WD on FF challenge. Or enter a wagon on the K car challenge. Or put a Peugeot on Muscle Car challenge.
The same happens with the National Championships. You can enter japanese races with an American car, etc.

So i'd like to mod the game to apply restrictions to the cars you can enter. Just like it's done at the manufacturer's races where you can only enter with a selected list of cars.

I believe this might not have been introduced in the game as to not create confusion in younger players or people that don't know much about cars. But maybe it was due to time constraints?

Anyways, would this be possible to do with the tools already available for the game around the web?

Thanks!
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/modding-race-events-restrictions.357045/#post-11887383

Back