Modding Race Events Restrictions

Portugal
Lisbon
Hi,

anyone knows if would it be possible to mod the game files so that to introduce some restrictions to the type of car you can use for each race event?

For example:

As is, you can enter with a 4WD on FF challenge. Or enter a wagon on the K car challenge. Or put a Peugeot on Muscle Car challenge.
The same happens with the National Championships. You can enter japanese races with an American car, etc.

So i'd like to mod the game to apply restrictions to the cars you can enter. Just like it's done at the manufacturer's races where you can only enter with a selected list of cars.

I believe this might not have been introduced in the game as to not create confusion in younger players or people that don't know much about cars. But maybe it was due to time constraints?

Anyways, would this be possible to do with the tools already available for the game around the web?

Thanks!

Nope. My copy of GT2 (ntsc/u v1.2 sim mode) it has built in restrictions standard, but to mod those restrictions isn't possible yet (that I know of). But you can................ just use the "any car any race" gameshark code! It works on any car for any race. I used a stock unmodified 98 rx7 type rb on stock street tires in a rally race before! It doesn't matter on horsepower, drivetrain, car class, or regions (dodge viper in a japanese race which I have done) and hybrids, it will work.

Any car any track can be found here:

http://pupik-gt2.tripod.com/codes/index.htm

Just chose your regional disc type!

see but what i want to do is very much the opposite. The PAL version atleast lets you enter with pretty much any car on most races just as long as they fit within the max horsepower. I'd like to restrict the access to the races more so that you have to enter with cars simillar to the opponents. Maybe even lower the horsepower restriction so that the races become more challenging.

Basically i'd like to create a more challenging Sim experience.

It's about to be done for GT3, Xenn has been on it for a few months now and can pretty much change anything via Cheat codes (it's not actual modding though, so not permanent).
I do wish GT2 had restrictions enforces properly too. Maybe it'll be possible one day, but for now it's unfortunately not.

Just use appropriate cars. And save constantly so that if the AI cheats on this, you can reset and try again without it counting as a loss (if you need to change some part of your car, going to Speed Tests also don't count as a loss). If you care about the stats as well.

If you're unsure what cars you can use, watch the race. One thing I did was check the AI car's stats afterward, calculate the power-to-weight ratio and get a car that fits both the theme and power (although I am not sure if the AI cars are tuned or not. In some it really seems so, but you still don't know how much, unlike in GT1 where it said their power and weight before the race).

Even on races that don't say anything you still notice some theme:
Sunday Cup
#1 - Compacts and some Keis, and almost all seem to be from the new car dealers
#2 - Mid-range models (S15 Silvia, but not the most powerful; BMW 323 compact; sometimes an S13 Silvia, but I don't remember which)
#3 - Didn't notice a specific theme, but tend to see a '98 Mustang, higher-end S15, Alfa Romeo GTV, ALWAYS a Plymouth Spyder...

Clubman Cup

#1 - Lower-end european cars (I remember mostly old Lotuses, and a Mini)
#2 - Mid-range european cars (I remember always seeing a Jaguar XJ)

I just think this game is missing some events: I hate that there isn't really a reason to get the Accord Sedan, or maybe the Civic sedan I guess (although you can take it to the Civic race at least). The Luxury Sedan event doesn't count since it's LUXURY sedans, I don't think the Accord is luxury. An "Entry Level Sedan" race would be nice, specially since the Luxury Sedans one is for much more powerful cars. A lot of cars going to waste: Accord, Civic sedan, Mazda Familia, older Impreza...

Yeah that's what i do. I watch the demo of each race and choose accordingly and generally much below the maximum hp allowed. Actually my first car this last save was a very modest Micra Super Turbo. It made for some very challenging races, losing or winning races at the last second!

[...]my first car this last save was a very modest Micra Super Turbo[...]

Recently I would start with the '96 Starlet, before I also tried with the 80's one. The '96 one is good, because it looks new, so it doesn't look out of place on events with only new cars.
Last one I got a new Daihatsu. I made a mistake. But at least it was hard. First time I ever sold my first car in a GT game.

We need to find the Event Database file, but... It's highly unlikely that we can get "Advanced" Restrictions. I would like to, but the limitations of PS1 games would make this impossible. We can do HP restrictions and drivetrain restrictions, but anything else is something the game can't handle. Unless we alter the AI car database for each, which would be a great way to attempt for a challenge. If we can get to do more rubber banding, but not in a cheap way we should be good to make a more challenging GT2. I am gonna try finding such thing in my 1.2 US version of GT2, but I don't think it'll be easy to crack the files in more.

Oh yeah definitely. I personally would be fine with how the game's restrictions are made. I just want to be able to tweak them to make the races more challenging. That and I want to have properly competitive AI cars. For example, for the 690hp 4WD race on Laguna Seca, have the AI power multiplier reflecting their closest to the limit's HP (so a R34 would be near 690, while a 22B would be at around 500hp). Also maybe add if possible a few more cars (especially those that are unused throughout the game). There's a lot of room for improvement without changing the game's content at all.

Yeah, if only the game wasn't so rushed back then...
There are lots of stuff that didn't happen in GT2 that could have made it an even more epic game and hopefully some of them can be modded.

- Some events, like National Championships, don't have Prize Cars.
- The Championship format could be more used throughout the game. On National Championships for instance.
- Manufacturer Events could be even more expanded. Also personally i'd like these events to be stock car only. With only RCM and Weight Reduction allowed. But that's just me.
- AI Cars could be more varied and given some sort of improvement. Maybe Stability/Traction Control/Better Tyres. I mean, on every race event with powerful cars, it's almost guaranteed you'll see a (probably tuned) Jaguar XJR Vehicle spinning on every corner. Or a stupid yellow Lister Storm V12 with RCM that drives like a grandma. But maybe i'm being unfair on this one. There's something somewhat cool about having one much slower car on a race. It's just a waste we don't see much of a challenge from atleast one opponent. And i don't think it's even the AI lacking cleverness. Once near you they really try to get in front. On that aspect i think it's better than GT4.
- HP restrictions should've been a bit more drastic. Although 10 year old me wouldn't have liked this back then.
- Drivetrain Restrictions should have existed too.

They already have traction control, what they need is proper tuning. The cars that spin out are bone stock with barely some power multiplier. So they lack grip compared to their power.
As for the Storm, it's because it's just RMed, not tuned at all, and it's heavy too.

But yeah, there's a lot of room for improvement.

yeah i've tried it once. Even with weight reduction it's very heavy unfortunately.

another thing i've noticed that i'd like to change is sounds. I drive with the camera in front of the car. So the game actually does a cool thing, which is outputting a mostly engine induction noise. Now this is great, it's amazing attention to detail. But exhaust sounds in the game are much nicer so i find myself constantly changing views when there's a straight road ahead. Particularly with NA type cars like muscle cars and the V8 Rover engines found in all TVRs. Equiped with Race Exhausts they really put out fine exhaust noise. It would be cool to play with front camera but behind car camera sounds.

That can't be changed unfortunately. Unless changing the game's programming. What you can do is switch one of the exhausts sounds to the engine sound, and put the engine sound as the exhausts sounds, but you'll lose the ability to change your car's sounds.

The drivetrain races actually check for your car's drivetrain. The turbo and NA races also do similar things. ;)

On what version? On my PAL game you can use whatever car you want on whatever drivetrain specific race except when there's HP restrictions. Or on those Turbo/NA races.

Maybe you have an early PAL version, But my Platinum SCES 12380 does have drivetrain restriction. I just tried entering a FF race with a Spoon S2000 and I get: "You cannot enter because the drive type is different."

So yeah...

On what version? On my PAL game you can use whatever car you want on whatever drivetrain specific race except when there's HP restrictions. Or on those Turbo/NA races.

NTSC 1.0 here, you will get "Your car does not have the qualified drivetrain" if you enter the race for the wrong drivetrain. ;)

Why did I write platinum? Hurr Durr. I don't have a platinum version, I have the french special with the bonus disc. But yeah, whatever version that one is ^^

It seems that it's possible now. A-spec and GT2+ mods have edited events. But I'm not sure how far it can be done. At least they figured out how to edit starting grid, hp restrictions, license restrictions, money reward and prize car. As far as I know manufacturer races has a list of cars allowed (some of them has 10 ), so for example Station Wagon Cup can be correctly implemented by just manually putting all of in-game Station Wagons to the restriction list.

As far as I know manufacturer races has a list of cars allowed (some of them has 10 ), so for example Station Wagon Cup can be correctly implemented by just manually putting all of in-game Station Wagons to the restriction list.

The entry lists only support up to 32 cars, so they're generally not practical to use for broader restrictions like body style or country. Polyphony already ran into this problem with the manufacturer events - there's no Racing version of the Impreza manufacturer event because there are more than 32 race-modified Imprezas in the game.

Entry lists are also never shown to the player, making it complete trial and error guesswork for players without a deep knowledge of cars to figure out what's allowed to enter. Taking the example of the Wagon Cup, then okay, 'Accord Wagon', that should be eligible, but how does a player know that a Legnum VR-4 is also eligible? It doesn't say 'wagon' anywhere in the name. If they figure out that it's because of the boxy shape, then are the Forester and the Espace eligible too?

As for editing events, adeyblue did a lot of the research about 6 years ago, and I wrote tools based on it which were released several years ago. The various data fields for an event are listed here.

Back