• No - Search works well and two threads will end up with dupe posts in both

Votes: 23 48.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scaff

United Kingdom
He/Him
ScaffUK
I've had a number of requests to split the AC Mod thread into two separate threads, one for discussion about modding, WIP progress, advice, etc.; and one for completed mods and links to mods.

@daan , @Jordan and myself have discussed this in the past, and the view has been that most members active in the thread/sub seem to like it as it is, however I do think the subject is worth discussion.

I've also added a poll to give an indication of which option seems to be most popular, so please share you thoughts and vote away.

Edited to add: The result of the poll will be used in an indicative manner, not as an absolute.

Last edited:
A simpler approach to help curate would be to grant known mod releasers (people that actually make and release stuff) their own thread, and on creation allow the new thread maker time to lock down the first first 5 posts as placeholders (Tracks ,Cars, Car Skins, Track Skins, Etc) to retain all their stuff in the first 5 posts. and mod rights in just that thread, to delete out noise from driveby-by posters to keep it clean,
(assuming this forum software will allow per thread moderation rights).

when an approved known modder releases/updates they post to this new thread and can then they point the link at the new curated thread into the main AC thread, thereby (hopefully) containing only conversation relevant to their work/releases.

Essentially this is what happens in IM now anyway to try keep denoised track/car specific conversations going, not because the participants want it hidden.. and is difficult to manage as there are so many damn IM's to try follow and more relevant I guess to advertising income, no one else knows they are happening, views are low as only the IM participants can see it.

EDIT: This is what has lead to the success and I suspect defection, of most chat to the Discord Channels currently where its under control.

Last edited:
The Assetto Corsa PC Mods General Discussion thread was never intended as an indexed repository for driveby mod grabs, and it seems to be mainly new members or lurkers who can't use the search function who moan about having to "trawl the whole thread looking for mods" as if it's some great inconvenience to their valuable time.

Last edited:
Checks current votes....

Desktop Screenshot 2021.05.13 - 08.15.20.97.png

...well that's helpful! :lol:

This has been discussed a few times before in the giant thread (I know you're late to the party Scaff :P). Basically everyone feels that, if you split up the thread, then you will just create multiple different giant threads eventually that are each still as unorganized as the main one. It's like Hydra :lol:

The original purpose of the thread is to discuss and alert members to new mods from other places that are better organised (e.g. RD), but it has evolved over time to also be a place for people to discuss making and improving mods. I only check the thread once a week and basically just scroll past any post that doesn't have a link. It's no big deal honestly. Every once in a while there are multi page tirades about certain issues (*cough*encryption*cough*), but it's really obvious and I just blast past those posts.

It's fine, it's messy but at least it's all contained in one place. All the members who frequent the thread know how the place works. As for the new members, if they can't use search feature for ONE thread, what makes you think they can search a subforum? :lol:

Last edited:
It's quite a mess isn't it? There are some hidden gems in there, but lots of browsing to find them. Community would benefit from an organised and filtered by quality mod index.

It's quite a mess isn't it? There are some hidden gems in there, but lots of browsing to find them. Community would benefit from an organised and filtered by quality mod index.
It's not a mess, it's a discussion thread.

There's a search function on the forum.

Why not make it sub category?

As minimum would suggest thread for track mods and thread for car mods. Then perhaps one for just general items that are not specific to car or track.

Back