Model Railroading

Wow this thread, blast from the past!

Like Aldo I still have all the trains, track, buildings and accessories stored away. Hopefully one day when I have more space and time I will build it all back up again. You really do have to have a vivid imagination to escape the fact they keep going round in an oval! :sly:

Robin.

Wow this thread, blast from the past!

Like Aldo I still have all the trains, track, buildings and accessories stored away. Hopefully one day when I have more space and time I will build it all back up again. You really do have to have a vivid imagination to escape the fact they keep going round in an oval! :sly:

Robin.

That is why you get more extreme than just an oval :sly:

Trains>*

I'm an avid Railway Model enthusiast. I have a small collection at the minute in quite a few boxes in the spare room. It's boxed up at the minute due to my recent very unhappy attempt at 'getting something layed down' in there.

I want to build a railway around the walls of said spare room, but due to work and family commitments (including the very recent birth of my 2nd child) I don't really have time. So last year I constructed an 8x4 foot baseboard and just built a few loops of track with several sidings, plenty of buildings, signals, a station, scenery, trees, wagons, rolling stock etc etc... It was admittedly a rushed job which is why it ended in disaster as the electrics were simply not good enough and even as it was visually completed, it never really ran smoothly enough to satisfy me.

I'll upload a screen shot in a moment (where I was about half way through the job).

For what it's worth, I had "The Flying Scotsman" as well as "Cadbury Castle" passenger trains with a rake of 5 coaches on each, a couple of tanks and a load of wagons to shunt around the yards. It was a good idea, but I learned that next time, I really will take my time and do it properly. 👍

EDIT: Here is the offending layout. (track is laid, ballasted and 'rusted' and some of the baseboard has been covered in grass/dirt etc)

I do feel quite sad that I rushed into it and built the 'tailchaser' I always promised myself NEVER to even consider. :(

Last edited:
And now I have 4 locomotives...
From left to right:
Electro-Motive Diesel SD40T-2, KCS (Athearn)
General Electric P32-8WH, Amtrak California (Atlas)
General Electric Genesis P42DC, Amtrak (Athearn)
Electro-Motive Diesel F59PHI, Amtrak California (Athearn)

And now I have 4 locomotives...
From left to right:
Electro-Motive Diesel SD40T-2, KCS (Athearn)
General Electric P32-8WH, Amtrak California (Atlas)
General Electric Genesis P42DC, Amtrak (Athearn)
Electro-Motive Diesel F59PHI, Amtrak California (Athearn)

Wow, talk about a resurrection!:sly: That's a nice collection you've got there. 👍

OH yes. I love my trains. AWHOOOOAWHOOOO.
Sorry....sorry(:lol:). I want one of these BAD(arrr......BIG)boys.
37990.jpg

Needless to day I've got 3 other locos which I cant take photos of (or use:grumpy:) seeing as I'm in a different city currently (sorry :indiff:).
They are a:
2-6-2 Steam Train
4-4 Diesel
4-4 Diesel/Electric.

OH yes. I love my trains. AWHOOOOAWHOOOO.
Sorry....sorry(:lol:). I want one of these BAD(arrr......BIG)boys.
37990.jpg

Needless to day I've got 3 other locos which I cant take photos of (or use:grumpy:) seeing as I'm in a different city currently (sorry :indiff:).
They are a:
2-6-2 Steam Train
4-4 Diesel
4-4 Diesel/Electric.
How many arms and legs might that cost?
Looks rather impressive :)

And since I currently lack a setup, I just display the locomotives as normal static models. Eventually I plan on building a modular setup...
<- my current display setup

Some new stuff...
Walthers EMD F40PH Amtrak:

Some of my freight cars:

My locomotives together:

Still haven't figured out what sort of layout I will have though....

I'm new here, so I will chime in. I model HO scale, CP in BC, BC Rail and logging. Mostly its just a collection right now as our place is in the middle of some renos/upheavals. Some of my stuff:

GP 9, chop nosed, with large sand box on rear. An early Athearn kitbash of mine
IMG_3366.jpg

FP7, Atlas. Modified to represent a late 60's passenger unit. Very sweet runner
IMG_2974.jpg

One of three E8's that CP had. A Rivarossi shell on a Model Power drive, with a NWSL motor
IMG_0556.jpg

A BC Rail RS18 in the works, Atlas RS11 is the base. In the background is a CP Rail RS18
IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0551.jpg

So that's about it for now.

Topic revival!
This time I must represent where I am originally from, California :D
I had the locomotive for a while as you all know, but the rail cars are new. Got both of these together for a bit over $100 USD (MSRP for each one is $65 USD) off of eBay. Now I need 2-3 more of these rail cars for a standard Amtrak California train (they normally span 4-8 rail cars) :)

Later I will add a light kit to the rail cars so they light up when in operation. That kit cost $12 each from the manufacturer...

Oh, and a couple older, un-posted pics:

A year old, but whatever. I currently have a bunch of N and G gauge trains. Over the past year I ost interest in my model trains, but after going to the local train show my love for model trains is back. My dad and I are going to sell some N and G gauge trains to get some HO trains. Nice collection Venom. 👍

A year old, but whatever. I currently have a bunch of N and G gauge trains. Over the past year I ost interest in my model trains, but after going to the local train show my love for model trains is back. My dad and I are going to sell some N and G gauge trains to get some HO trains. Nice collection Venom. 👍

lol, wow, I forgot about this topic myself. Thanks :)
Got any pics of your stuff?
Since that pic though, I got a ton of N scale stuff while only getting 3 HO rail cars since that pic. I'll have to get a good pic of my N scale stuff sometime, but for now, here is a crash that happened while testing some stuff out:

I used to have a baseboard on my bedroom floor for most of my childhood it was great fun, but I got bored of it eventually and it was dismantled. My dad is currently building a gigantic train set in the attic, though these days I prefer video games like MTS and Trainz Railroad Simulator.

I used to have a baseboard on my bedroom floor for most of my childhood it was great fun, but I got bored of it eventually and it was dismantled. My dad is currently building a gigantic train set in the attic, though these days I prefer video games like MTS and Trainz Railroad Simulator.

Trainz is great. I really need to get myself the newest version, as my old TRS2006 is in need of some serious help.

My HO set probably won't be coming out of storage for a good long while, now...being in college means that I have no time to use it for 2/3 of the year, and when I am home where it used to be is being used for something else now (not my decision). I still have everything though - someday in the future when I have my own place I'll be able to take out my trains again.

I had of old locomotives from the '70s that by some miracle both work XD.

No pictures since they're in the attic right now. :(

I love trainz too! I can't play anything past 2006 'cause my PC sucks.

I do have this, though. ;)

raildriver-desktop-train-cab-controller.jpg

Quite an old thread but I recently found back my love for model railroads and would like to know if anyone else on here is also still into this :D
Everything started when I was a little boy playing with the old H0 Fleischmann model trains of my dad when visiting my grandparents. It was at that time that I also joined our local model train club and after saving up quite a litte money from christmas and birthdays I got myself my own H0 Märklin DCC train set. I then went ahead and got some rails, cars, houses and a second loco and basically wanted to build a whole layout with landscape and everything with my grandfather. Unfortunately space and time somehow never were there and then gramps got Alzheimer‘s and everything was abandoned :(
A few years later I got a japanese N scale train to run at out club‘s layout imported from Japan when a friend imported some car parts for his AE86 and since then that‘s basically what I was focusing on model wise. I got a second loco from Japan quickly after but unfortunately never had money to buy cars for that and now they‘re sold out everywhere. For the past few years everything has been on a hiatus now and only recently when browsing YAJ I thought of checking for some more stuff. I found a Twilight Express which is now on it‘s way to me and will hopefully arrive soon :dopey: Once that‘s there I may post some pictures of it, if somebody‘s interested. Also I‘m now keeping an eye out for used sets of the freight cars I couldn‘t buy when I got the second loco.
The only thing really missing atm are tracks, I‘d like to get some Kato Unitrack rails and hopefully can one day build an actual layout at home (to also finish what I wanted to do when my grandfather was still alive).

I need to take some proper pictures of my rolling stock one day, I don‘t have any of it as I just found out :dunce:

Wow, I made this thread 13 years ago? That's nuts.

Quite an old thread but I recently found back my love for model railroads and would like to know if anyone else on here is also still into this :D

I'm still into model railroading, but my collection of HO stock has been stored away for years, waiting for me to buy a house big enough to have room to set it all up. So it'll remain in storage for many more years until I can maybe afford that someday.

For now I get my fix with train simulators.

I was not aware of the sub thread till I looked for it and I can se why it wasnt anywhere. I am here to bust this with nearly 3 years of no posts. I started wicked later in the hobby (HO Scale) in 2014, 2015? I've joined a lcoal club and am currebtly the Club President. I/ve built up a nice rollign stock and locomotive roster. I own Primary Athearn Genesis EMD SD70ACes and then its Scaletrains River Counters. Late last year I built my own Layout. I've called it the UNion Pacific Northeast Division. Its a 4x8 with a double loop ( 2 indusctries and engine spot), and then I have a 3.5 by 6 foot extentions added to it, with a 3 track yard and indusctry track on it. I already have plans for 2 more layouts in my life ( I need ot get rich). With the club, Ive helped it become moderized. Its NCE, but I helped expand to adda c omputer so NCe controllers, phones, and tablets can run trains now. I/ve invested in a Protothrottle and that is how I run trains now. This hobby is not dying, but a certain thing happen during the last post that made the hobby expand and regrow. Ill work on getting pics upload sometime soon.

Here is a tiny sample of what I have, plus my layout when it was being built. Plus cat. I own EMD SD40s, GP50s, 1500s, ACes, and 3 ScaleTrains MQ Big Blows. I have to redo my power bus, its not working as it should/my satisfaction.

Attachments

• 20211201_180255.jpg
    20211201_180255.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 4
  • 20211203_150406.jpg
    20211203_150406.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 4
  • 20211230_215515.jpg
    20211230_215515.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 4
Back