Monster Energy Supercross 3PS4 

• Thread starter barryf1fan
  • 21 comments
United States
St. Cloud, Florida
aracefan
Decided to pick this one up after reading a couple of reviews and watching a few game play vids.

So far, I think it's really good. I had picked up the first SX game on the Xbox One and it had terrible frame rate issues, as in the game would literaly stop and skip like you were hitting play, pause, play, pause, etc... on a DVD. I thought it may get patched but never did. Other than that the game was pretty good, but if you were in a pack of riders it was virtually unplayable. With this I skipped the 2nd (Supercross) one but did get MXGP Pro and last year picked up MXGP 2019. I really liked the improved physics of the last two MXGP games, but just got bored with them for some reason. I watch SX every weekend it's on and figured, eh, I'll give it a go.

Here's a bit of game play, no commentary, and I need to "get good, bro" as I'm all over the place at times. :lol::lol: Timing the jumps, as well as hitting them at the right speed is key to getting good lap times. I never really got on with the Detroit track, but it was fun and I'll keep trying. I meant to turn the rewind feature off from my first couple of play nights with it. But hey, it's just a game and it's meant to be fun anyway. I think I have it on Medium Ai diff, and I had it on Hard and honestly there wasn't much difference in the Ai speed - they just seemed to not make very many mistakes. :confused: If you watch some of the video, the Ai are crashing and wrecking as much as I am. :sly: Anyway, I'm enjoying this one so far and is a nice change of pace from MotoGP 19, Project Cars 2 or F1 2019. 👍👍

Ran round 5 of the 250 class at Daytona and faired a little better.

Still really enjoying this one.

After getting a Hard Drive for Christmas Last week, I can finally enjoy the games I got for free as a PS Plus member so this naturally got installed:

Monster Energy Supercross - The Official Videogame_20201226032644.png

Monster Energy Supercross - The Official Videogame_20201226032843.png

Monster Energy Supercross - The Official Videogame_20201226032948.png

Monster Energy Supercross - The Official Videogame_20201226033126.png

First Supercross game I have played in a while and I enjoy it alot. I can already tell I will be spending alot of time with this.

Last edited:
It's a great game @RACECAR and you will have fun with it. I enjoyed the career for awhile, but started just doing the odd race here and there. I still play this every so often, and I never did pick up SX 4, which is out. I stopped posting in here (and even streaming it on twicth) as there seemed to be no interest.

I love the MotoGP and RIDE games that Milestone do, those are my favorites but do love to do some MX and SX from time to time.
have fun with it! 👍

MXSX will be out in March 2021. Milestone make fun games but I think people hammer them because they[and me] want them to be a pure simulation games. (The bugs are there like every game too)

Last edited:
Just coming back here, after so long to say this game is until today the best one of the series, I bought it again for PS5 now, and got back the same amazing feelings I had when playing it 3 years ago in the PS4.
It's just sad that this is not taken into consideration by Milestone in the development of 4, 5 and 6....if there will be indeed a 7th one, hope they will listen to the players at last.

Anyhow, probably no one will enter here again as this is getting old, but yeah, sometimes we need to look back a bit to find the inspiration to do things right in the future :D

If you read this and was in doubt about getting the 6th installment of the series, don't, and get the 3rd ;D

Just coming back here, after so long to say this game is until today the best one of the series, I bought it again for PS5 now, and got back the same amazing feelings I had when playing it 3 years ago in the PS4.
It's just sad that this is not taken into consideration by Milestone in the development of 4, 5 and 6....if there will be indeed a 7th one, hope they will listen to the players at last.

Anyhow, probably no one will enter here again as this is getting old, but yeah, sometimes we need to look back a bit to find the inspiration to do things right in the future :D

If you read this and was in doubt about getting the 6th installment of the series, don't, and get the 3rd ;D
Man, it's funny that you posted this... I just downloaded 3 for PS5 as well on Saturday and had a blast with it. Was considering 6 but since I owned 3 on PS4 it was free to download for PS5, glad I went that route.

Fun game and a nice diversion from Ride 5 and MotoGP 23.
May look at SX7 if Milestone do it, but for now, SX3 is just fine for me.

You can see why they’ve apparently discontinued the series now - 4, 5, 6 barely if any improvement over 3. I do quite like 6, I think on balance it’s probably the best one. But you really can’t go wrong with the third one and you’re not missing much not getting any of the more recent ones. The ultimate in crap yearly releases really - not that the games are crap, but they’re just the same thing over and over.

When they max out the graphics they should just add expansions to the game instead of redoing everything for a unnoticeable upgrade
whoa whoa whoa.....you're just making too much sense there!!!!

I don't think they've discontinued SX. They dropped MXGP which went to the RIMs dev so that game will suck now. I generally preferred the MXGP titles over the SX games. Think the first SX was my favorite. All of them aren't bad, but it was just the rehashing off content (typical Milestone theme) that made them stale to me
Monster Energy Supercross - The Official Videogame 4_20210410220609.jpg

Last edited:
whoa whoa whoa.....you're just making too much sense there!!!!

I don't think they've discontinued SX. They dropped MXGP which went to the RIMs dev so that game will suck now. I generally preferred the MXGP titles over the SX games. Think the first SX was my favorite. All of them aren't bad, but it was just the rehashing off content (typical Milestone theme) that made them stale to meView attachment 1320294
And just out of curiosity, from which one is this beautiful pic?

Same here, I like the MX riding more than the SX riding(virtually) With all continuing franchises it turns into a roster update. It’s inevitable and people keep complaining like there is some type of miracle alternative solution.

There's no SX7 imminent, but I think there have been suggestions they might come back later with something new because there were reports thar they were scanning the circuits.
And just out of curiosity, from which one is this beautiful pic?
See that question is kind of the problem. lol. Had to check but it was from SX4. But honestly you’d be hard pressed to tell the difference between 3-6 because they all look basically the same. Especially content wise.

As ctdc67 stated (and like I’ve said forever), all of these games really just amount to a roster update. There honestly doesn’t need to be a SX7 or Ride 6 (5 wasn’t needed) or MotoGP XX. These aren’t a FIFA, NFL, NBA, etc…… with a large base who snap up every title every year. These are niche titles and while I generally hate the “season paas” stuff. Milestone really should consider it. They constantly rehash the same game over and over. for the licensed series they update rosters and tracks but not always the gear. So basically when it comes to creating your own rider you are using gear 4 or 5 years old.

Instead should follow Polyphony with GT. Release a single game for the generation and then update it. There is no point to a SX7. They will update the rosters and tracks, but honestly probably not update the gear. And then just do the same annoying career with a slightly tweaked interface. When really I’d be happy if they instead just did a 2024 DLC pack with updated bikes,gear and tracks and then focused on fixing the various bugs of their games, instead of reselling the same game over and over.

Ride 5 and SBK 22 are perfect examples. The biggest problem with Ride 5 is that it seems like a DLC for Ride 4 that was sold as a complete game. Same with SBK 22 it should have been a DLC for Ride 4 or at the least MotoGP 22, especially given the lack of content. I’m actually done with the SX series. Ditto for Ride and MotoGP. Cause as much as I love motorcycles until another company comes in and makes a decent game there isn’t much point to buying Milestones yearly releases. They don’t fix the things that need to be fixed (namely AI, braking and basic game design) and generally take 4 steps back for every small step forward

See that question is kind of the problem. lol. Had to check but it was from SX4. But honestly you’d be hard pressed to tell the difference between 3-6 because they all look basically the same. Especially content wise.

As ctdc67 stated (and like I’ve said forever), all of these games really just amount to a roster update. There honestly doesn’t need to be a SX7 or Ride 6 (5 wasn’t needed) or MotoGP XX. These aren’t a FIFA, NFL, NBA, etc…… with a large base who snap up every title every year. These are niche titles and while I generally hate the “season paas” stuff. Milestone really should consider it. They constantly rehash the same game over and over. for the licensed series they update rosters and tracks but not always the gear. So basically when it comes to creating your own rider you are using gear 4 or 5 years old.

Instead should follow Polyphony with GT. Release a single game for the generation and then update it. There is no point to a SX7. They will update the rosters and tracks, but honestly probably not update the gear. And then just do the same annoying career with a slightly tweaked interface. When really I’d be happy if they instead just did a 2024 DLC pack with updated bikes,gear and tracks and then focused on fixing the various bugs of their games, instead of reselling the same game over and over.

Ride 5 and SBK 22 are perfect examples. The biggest problem with Ride 5 is that it seems like a DLC for Ride 4 that was sold as a complete game. Same with SBK 22 it should have been a DLC for Ride 4 or at the least MotoGP 22, especially given the lack of content. I’m actually done with the SX series. Ditto for Ride and MotoGP. Cause as much as I love motorcycles until another company comes in and makes a decent game there isn’t much point to buying Milestones yearly releases. They don’t fix the things that need to be fixed (namely AI, braking and basic game design) and generally take 4 steps back for every small step forward
I agree with every word, that's the main reason why I am stuck with SX 3, Ride 4, as well, MotoGP 19...

I hate when the newest Ride doesn’t have your favorite bikes from the previous game. Same for the tracks but that is a little more understandable.

Last edited:
I agree with every word, that's the main reason why I am stuck with SX 3, Ride 4, as well, MotoGP 19...
I’d recommend MotoGP 22, that was quite a decent upgrade especially with all the 2009 season content too. Changed the physics, made it a bit tougher to brake and more challenging. Decent jump between 21 and 22.

I hate when the newest Ride doesn’t have your favorite bikes from the previous game. Same for the tracks but that is a little more understandable.
That’s what happened to me. R4 had every bike I’ve ever owned and pretty much all my favorite tracks. So for those to be removed for R5 was very disappointing. But if they’d just used Ride 4 as the base for this gen they could have just had a model of addition instead of subtraction. Tracks aside I don’t get why bikes had to be removed. It’s not like they updated all the old models. From a licensing point yeah I can probably understand removal of tracks….. but given they have the license for the MotoGP series …. Also I really doubt they license specific bikes/gear as much as the manufacturer so again why no gear updates?

I’d recommend MotoGP 22, that was quite a decent upgrade especially with all the 2009 season content too. Changed the physics, made it a bit tougher to brake and more challenging. Decent jump between 21 and 22.
I kind of disagree here and this is just personal preference I guess, but I think MGP19 was the last one I enjoyed. They’ve gone to far with the braking. Hard is not real, so when people complain this game or that game is to easy I really doubt they’ve ridden a motorcycle. My problem with the direction they’ve gone could be lack of a decent controller that allows really fine inputs…. But the braking in all the MGP2x and race bikes in Ride is stupid. My R1 is not SBK spec, but does have the GYTR race kit and is about 197hp at the rear. I can accelerate hard w/o tc or wheelie control without the front lifting 8“ off the ground. Ditto with braking. there is no play in my brake lever and it’s Bremob (again notSBK spec). But I can stop my bike w/o the constant stoppies.

If they did a GT type model with a base game supported by DLC over the generation of a system they’d be able to refine and better the game as a whole. Instead of wasting time and money trying to figure out how to get people to buy the same game again each year

I loved the first MXGP and SX games. thought they were great and only needed a couple of tweaks. Then hated the second version of each. SX corrected with SX3 but it took a bit for MXGP to get back on track. MXGP21 was really good but by that time I don’t think anyone cared anymore cause it seemed like Milestone gave up on it and only did the last two to finish a contract. SX since 3 just seems redundant. I don’t expect them to recreate the wheel but content wise it could have been better in the customization aspect of your rider

Last edited:
I hated it till I got used to it - having to use both brakes to get the bike slowed and then all the way round the corners. Initially I was just falling off constantly. Now I really like it. Yeah, personal preference and everything - but I think once you get used to the braking, it comes into its own.

That’s what happened to me. R4 had every bike I’ve ever owned and pretty much all my favorite tracks. So for those to be removed for R5 was very disappointing. But if they’d just used Ride 4 as the base for this gen they could have just had a model of addition instead of subtraction. Tracks aside I don’t get why bikes had to be removed. It’s not like they updated all the old models. From a licensing point yeah I can probably understand removal of tracks….. but given they have the license for the MotoGP series …. Also I really doubt they license specific bikes/gear as much as the manufacturer so again why no gear updates?

I kind of disagree here and this is just personal preference I guess, but I think MGP19 was the last one I enjoyed. They’ve gone to far with the braking. Hard is not real, so when people complain this game or that game is to easy I really doubt they’ve ridden a motorcycle. My problem with the direction they’ve gone could be lack of a decent controller that allows really fine inputs…. But the braking in all the MGP2x and race bikes in Ride is stupid. My R1 is not SBK spec, but does have the GYTR race kit and is about 197hp at the rear. I can accelerate hard w/o tc or wheelie control without the front lifting 8“ off the ground. Ditto with braking. there is no play in my brake lever and it’s Bremob (again notSBK spec). But I can stop my bike w/o the constant stoppies.

If they did a GT type model with a base game supported by DLC over the generation of a system they’d be able to refine and better the game as a whole. Instead of wasting time and money trying to figure out how to get people to buy the same game again each year

I loved the first MXGP and SX games. thought they were great and only needed a couple of tweaks. Then hated the second version of each. SX corrected with SX3 but it took a bit for MXGP to get back on track. MXGP21 was really good but by that time I don’t think anyone cared anymore cause it seemed like Milestone gave up on it and only did the last two to finish a contract. SX since 3 just seems redundant. I don’t expect them to recreate the wheel but content wise it could have been better in the customization aspect of your rider
So MXGP21 is actually good?

I cannot remember ever trying it, but I do remember seeing some "bad opinions"....I may have a weird taste cause I quite enjoyed back then the MXGP Pro :D

MXGP 2021 is good. All of them were quite good from 2019 on, but so similar to each other - coming back to MXGP21 in isolation now and forgetting everything that came before, I think it stands up well. It's fun, bug free, challenging, probably dirt cheap too. But I think it was the right time to end it too.

I think the majority would probably argue that MXGP3 and MESC3 are/were the high points of the series' and I'd agree with the caveat that's true only in the time they were released. If you're coming in wanting the best versions of both series now in 2024, get Supercross 6 and MXGP21.

Last edited:
Personally I think the first MXGP and MXGP21 were the best of the series. But the caveat with MXGP21 is typical as a whole it’s the best to me, but if you’ve gone through the whole series then it’s not as noticeable. I’m not a fan of the waypoint stuff. But as far as being playable and lack of bugs, it’s easily the best must fun ….not that it’s perfect. MXGP Pro wasn’t bad but again in my opinion they went a little overkill trying to make it “realistic” by making it harder. The biggest problem with the MX/SX series over all is the whip/scrub function. For some reason in the first game of each it wasn’t an issue but every game afterwards I just never used it. My problem is the design and took me a while to figure out why I kept crashing. And it’s because of how the whip/scrub is activated And the fact that it wasn’t mappable. I ride for real and this causes problems when I try to play these games cause I can’t always turn those instincts off. So with MX/SX when I’m using some steering and body inputs if the wheel leaves the ground even slightly the controls revert to the whip/scrub action. not a fan of the idea of a whip button, but here again is where I thought the game itself was made overly complicated. If they made it actually “realistic”. The whip would be done just normally by technique.

I hated it till I got used to it - having to use both brakes to get the bike slowed and then all the way round the corners. Initially I was just falling off constantly. Now I really like it. Yeah, personal preference and everything - but I think once you get used to the braking, it comes into its own.
the idea of HAVING to use both brakes sucks to me and being stubborn I refused to do it lol. I figured out how to make the braking work in all of the SX/MX/MGP/Ride/SBK games and it’s stupid complicated for no reason. And it shouldn’t be

As just stated a huge part of my problems with these games is real world reference which I can’t turn off. But more importantly the braking in the games are wrong. There is a reason the front rotors are LARGER than the rear rotors. I’m not a pro level rider but I get around the track at a pretty good pace and I can honestly say I’ve never had a problem stopping my bikes without using rear brake. I’ll use it here and there for a specific reason but NEVER as the main way of stopping the bike. Even on my dirt bike. When I first started bike I was 95% rear brake just out of fear. But now I’d say I’m 85% front brake easy. So what I don’t understand is why Milestone does these things. It doesn’t make the games more player friendly. Even people who don’t actually ride have a basic understanding of motorcycling if they’ve ever ridden a bicycle. So when you have these strange control physics it doesn’t seem natural and is a bit confusing. If they aren’t avid bike fans they general just say the game sucks and move on instead of trying to figure it out thats why I say harder isn’t realistic. If they actually made the game realistic it would be easier and more people could be able to jump in and play.

Back