Montoya and renault

• Thread starter Poverty
  • 26 comments

Poverty

(Banned)

Jakobi talking to the Champions

According to reports in the Spanish press, Juan Pablo Montoya could be eyeing a future at Renault.

The Marca newspaper says 30-year-old Montoya's manager, Julian Jakobi, has already staged 'some meetings' with the Enstone based team, after McLaren Mercedes declined to take up an option on his current deal for 2007.

However, the sports publication added that Jakobi - of the CSS Stellar management company - has not yet met with Flavio Briatore.

It is possible that Renault would see Montoya as an ideal replacement for McLaren-bound Fernando Alonso.

The Spanish-speaking racer would also fit in well with Renault's existing sponsors, such as major Spanish backer Telefonica.

Nice kimi and alonso racing in 2007.

Poverty
Nice kimi and alonso racing in 2007.

Please don't say you've only just found out. :dunce:

And for the story, we are not sure if Renault are even gonna be racing in '07..

Bee
Please don't say you've only just found out. :dunce:

And for the story, we are not sure if Renault are even gonna be racing in '07..

we can be 99% sure renault will be in f1 in 2007. Only possibility that renault will pull out is that they do very horribly in 2006(which is not likely). And even if they do really bad in 06, its still only a possbility that they are out in 2007.

and montoya's departure does not mean kimi and alonso will be team mates. They could both leave mclaren

Renault is in through 2007. After that, it's "year-by-year" according to the penny-pinching Carlos Ghosn.

Kimi and Alonso will never be teammates. Kimi wants to be a #1, but he never will be if there is a world champion on the team. I don't think they'd work well together anyway.

I reckon Kimi would punch Alonso. I don't think they'd work well together at all.

I agree. Kimi wont want to drive on the same team as alonso. I believe Kimi will go to ferrari or maybe toyota.

kylehnat
Kimi and Alonso will never be teammates. Kimi wants to be a #1, but he never will be if there is a world champion on the team. I don't think they'd work well together anyway.

But Ron Dennis knows that Kimi is the better driver and they have formed a bond and an understanding.

Signing alonso is just getting rid of some of the competition.

Poverty
But Ron Dennis knows that Kimi is the better driver and they have formed a bond and an understanding.

Signing alonso is just getting rid of some of the competition.

You think alonso is idiot? If he has signed for McLaren is because he knows he will have more chances to be a world champion again than in Renault...

darkfinal
You think alonso is idiot? If he has signed for McLaren is because he knows he will have more chances to be a world champion again than in Renault...

Ya, Alonso is idiot.

Alonso obviously belives he's the better driver and wants to show that to the world.

Poverty
Ya, Alonso is idiot.

Alonso obviously belives he's the better driver and wants to show that to the world.

Alonso is way more mature and has a world champion mentality between his eyebrows, something that Kimi doesn't have (the mentality, not the eyebrows).

PD: Oh, and he may be idiotic just because he's spaniard, huh...

Something similar cropped up last week on the Autosport site. I think it's only natural that Renault and Montoya would be looking to hook up, sinc ethere's obviously a spare driver at McLaren, and there's obviously a spare seat at Renault.

But I'm not sure that we need to be getting excited about it just yet. Whilst Schumacher's '07 activities are as yet unclear, the driver market will be in a form of stasis where everyone will do lots of talking and that will be about that.

I think that if Renault win in 06, then not in 07, they will continue in 08. If they win in 07, more or less irrespective of what happens in 06, I think they'll quit. Plus, there's the whole Concorde thing to resolve itself next year.

Being a Spaniard has nothing to do with it.

Alonso believes that McLaren will be more competitive in 2007. He doesn't want to be sitting in a Renault seeing a speck of black and silver dissapearing into the horizon.

If he joins McLaren, he may not be the #1 driver, but he can challenge for the championship. There are no team orders, if he is faster than Kimi (which he believes he is), he will win. That is all he has to do.

DQuaN
Alonso believes that McLaren will be more competitive in 2007. He doesn't want to be sitting in a Renault seeing a speck of black and silver dissapearing into the horizon.

Well, with the current brain drain going on down Woking way, that's debatable...

I'll see if my sources can tell me anythin about the mercMcLaren situation.

As for alonso having the mentality I think kimi is better prepared. Hes lost out twice by the skin of his teeth due to unreliabilty.

Raikkonen may not have the mentality or the eyebrows but he obviously has as much speed and ability of any world champion, and besides we all know that finish drivers are the best drivers in the world lol, for example Hakkinen 2xF1champ, Makkinen forget wether its 5 or 7xWRC champ, Gronholm forget how many xWRC champ, Roseberg 1xF1 Champ I think, Raikkonen 10+ F1 race wins etc, the thing about them is they dont waste time or effort talking about stuff or worrying about the politics or all that other BS, they just go out there and do the buisness hehe. Actually that sounds like the perfect World Champion mentality to me!

Ok this is what ive learned about McLaren. Theyre engines keep blowing having transmissions failures and oil leakages. However they just got a new updated motor with more power but thats blowing up too.

They believe they will start the season of slow but be a force to be reckoned (beckoned?) with as they go on. More engine updates to come from merc as testing continues.

Poverty
I'll see if my sources can tell me anythin about the mercMcLaren situation.

What sources are you talking about?

I'd like to see Alonso and Raikkonen together in one team but I doubt it'll happen.

Poverty
Ok this is what ive learned about McLaren. Theyre engines keep blowing having transmissions failures and oil leakages. However they just got a new updated motor with more power but thats blowing up too.

They believe they will start the season of slow but be a force to be reckoned (beckoned?) with as they go on. More engine updates to come from merc as testing continues.

Hum... It reminds me of 2004 season... If they continue going this way, next year McMerc will be holding cars nº9 and 10 again...

Some more info.

McLaren's MP4-21 woes
Team behind on development schedule

(GMM) A senior representative of the McLaren-Mercedes team has admitted that the new 'MP4-21' racer is not ready to dominate grands prix in 2006.

Even with the newly revised V8 engine now up and running, Mercedes' competitor director Norbert Haug said progress at the silver team is currently lagging.

''We are not where we wanted to be in mid February,'' the German told Auto Motor Und Sport.

''At the moment, we are perhaps where we should have been in the middle of December.''

The new Mercedes V8, reportedly correcting problems with the inlet system and the pistons, has moved the MP4-21 closer to the leading pace.

But analysts still estimate that, if the Bahrain opener was held today, McLaren's Kimi Raikkonen and Juan Pablo Montoya would finish behind the two Renaults, the two Ferraris and the Hondas.

Haug maintained a similar theme in the 'Motorsport Aktuell' magazine.

''Some teams are ahead of us. Certainly, we would not mind if we could add another month to our preparation time.

''But we are doing everything possible in order to be competitive for the first race in Bahrain.

''We have not had a dream start. We are behind where we want to be.''

Indeed. In Autosport, Haug is quoted as saying that Mercedes engines have "never had the biggest bore". This implies that they were running long-stroke engines previously, and the mandated bore/stroke dimensions in the '06 rules have caused them some difficulty because they're basically building an engine with an aspect ratio that is wrong for them.

This really goes to illustrate what I've been saying for a while now that Ilmor tend to be quite slow to respond to adversity - whatever form this takes.

McLaren hit form at Valencia
Kimi sets Valencia 'V8' record

McLaren-Mercedes' troubled winter took a turn for the better today at Valencia as Kimi Raikkonen not only set the fastest time recorded at the Spanish track by a V8 engined Formula one car (1:09.987s), but also completed in excess of 80 laps running with no major problems.

Raikkonen outpaced the benchmark Renaults of Giancarlo Fisichella, who suffered an electrical problem this afternoon that put paid to his running, and Heikki Kovalainen, while Red Bull's David Coulthard wrapped up an informative weeks running.

Also present were MF1 Racing, for whom Tiago Monteiro and Adrian Sutil both experienced trips off-circuit.

Meanwhile at Sakhir, Bahrain, Michael Schumacher completed the weeks testing in the Ferrari F248. The team will take a break tomorrow (Saturday) before resuming the programme on Sunday.

He would have been running on fumes, but at least the car has the potential to be very fast.

I don’t think we should all be celebrating about 81 laps without reliability problems, as it’s only 330km – just over a race distance.

Anyway, it’s a step in the right direction, and I hope that they have solved their issues.

Back