Most difficult turns in the game

• Thread starter sturk0167
  • 81 comments
Circuit de Sainte-Croix has a couple of interesting corners!

For a 5 mile + circuit, that is damning with faint praise!
Much as I like the new track it feels more like a city track in places with flat 90 degree turns. I prefer the out of the city sections particularly the downhill right left before the bridge that totally destabilises fast MR/FR cars if you switch the weight too hard with steering and throttle, only thing is the bit right after needs a slower approach to the bridge than you think, so theres not so much of a punishment taking it a little slower, unles you are fighting for position through it, so I think it works better in races trying to get a good line around other people.

If it was a Polyphony track people would say how unrealistic it was, that no race track would ever have constant straights and chicanes, and the Porsche curves are terribly boring in slow cars, and the chicane at the end is too tight, FIA wouldn't allow it, PD used a course editor and....
No they wouldn’t.

Straights with chicanes = Monza, Enna Pergusa, or any formula E circuit, or almost any European road circuit that was still used through the 80s into the early 90s (before they all got shut down).

People don’t complain that the eases at Suzuka are boring on slow cars, doubtful Porsche curves would be different.

The chicane, compared to many, is really not that bad. Many circuits had chicanes just as tight.

Unless PD purposely modeled La Sarthe in an unrealistic way, like putting zero runoff at Mulsanne Corner, then there’s nothing wrong with La Sarthe. You can’t take an FIA certified circuit, and then say, “the FIA wouldn’t certify it.”

You’re really grasping at straws trying to draw this parallel. St Crock is a poorly designed and executed circuit. It attempts to be like La Sarthe, Rouen Les Essart, Reims, Mettet, Brno, or other classic European road circuits, but it fails to pull it off.

The layout, the scenery (check the tree walls), the barrier treatment around the circuit, the road markings (or lack there-of), all of it smacks of a lack lustre effort by PD when you compare it to other PD created tracks.

And the FIA wouldn’t certify St Crock because the back Straight is too long, FIA won’t certify a circuit with a straight longer than 2k (which is why La Sarthe has the chicanes).

No they wouldn’t.

Straights with chicanes = Monza, Enna Pergusa, or any formula E circuit, or almost any European road circuit that was still used through the 80s into the early 90s (before they all got shut down).

People don’t complain that the eases at Suzuka are boring on slow cars, doubtful Porsche curves would be different.

The chicane, compared to many, is really not that bad. Many circuits had chicanes just as tight.

Unless PD purposely modeled La Sarthe in an unrealistic way, like putting zero runoff at Mulsanne Corner, then there’s nothing wrong with La Sarthe. You can’t take an FIA certified circuit, and then say, “the FIA wouldn’t certify it.”

You’re really grasping at straws trying to draw this parallel. St Crock is a poorly designed and executed circuit. It attempts to be like La Sarthe, Rouen Les Essart, Reims, Mettet, Brno, or other classic European road circuits, but it fails to pull it off.

The layout, the scenery (check the tree walls), the barrier treatment around the circuit, the road markings (or lack there-of), all of it smacks of a lack lustre effort by PD when you compare it to other PD created tracks.

And the FIA wouldn’t certify St Crock because the back Straight is too long, FIA won’t certify a circuit with a straight longer than 2k (which is why La Sarthe has the chicanes).
The stigma around PD original tracks: Exhibit A
:lol:
La Sarthe is honestly a bit of a hassle to race on at the first half of the track. I race there just to get to the second half. It's not like I'm awkward through that section that's why I hate it either, it's just that I can't find the thrill of going through that section at all. Then there's the two obligatory Mulsanne Chicanes that has barely any semblance of character. Second half of the track is slightly better, mostly because of the iconic Porsche Curves. If didn't exist the track's literally just a plug-track that has all the stereotypical corners in the world with no real defining characteristic

St. Croix (Config C) on the other hand is full of character. It has a very technical downhill right-left that requires you to trail-brake into the chicane leading from the bridge right after the exit of the former S curve, which requires you to be able to balance your car within the split-second transition between this high-speed downhill to the tight slightly uphill turn. And then there's a flowing right-hander just before the big straight that's a half-blind corner. You may know where the entry is, but you need to trust yourself on the apex and exit. Turn 1 is deceptive with its wide track that isn't intended to be used, as is another couple of turns. The last 3 high speed corners, comprising of 2 left handers and one right, is very flowing and requires a delicate steering rhythm, not much unlike the Porsche Curves. Your entry on that section will prove to be your exit on the final one

Easy choice. The sharp left with the drop at the top of Mt. Panorama. I manage to get through it cleanly about twice or thrice out of every ten laps I run. I am hopelessly outpaced on that track just because of that one corner. I can't think of any other part of any other circuit in the game that gives me anywhere close to the headache I get there.

Agree this is a very tough corner but you shouldn't be binning it. Lift through the right hander rather than go full clap, brake hard and turn in early, really, really early and get on the gas asap, earlier than u think u can.

Spoon at Suzuka, absolutely dog slow in the corner and onto the straight, just terrible.

Suzuka in general with a controller is a nightmare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I think this is because PD seem to give the controller input lag, so changing direction is a lot slower than you can physically do it, which makes a very technical track a bit of a pain
After coming from PCARS for almost 2 years, I can definitely feel something funky going on with the controller feeling in GTS.

I’ve triple checked I have all the aids turned off, but I still feel like I’m getting some type of steering assist. I drive with cockpit cam, so what’s throwing me off is the hand/wheel movements don’t seem to match my inputs. It’s like there’s an automatic speed sensitivity or something - in corners with long exits, as I pick up speed, I can see/feel the game unwinding the steering lock for me.

Also, when trying to catch oversteer moments, I’ve had several times where the game has corrected the oversteer for me, causing my corrections to be unnecessary and end up flinging myself off the circuit in a rediculous looking way.

Not really complaining per say, it’s just something I’ll need to get used to. But it definitely feels like I’m getting help from the game, dispite having all the driving aids turned off.

The stigma around PD original tracks: Exhibit A
:lol:
La Sarthe is honestly a bit of a hassle to race on at the first half of the track. I race there just to get to the second half. It's not like I'm awkward through that section that's why I hate it either, it's just that I can't find the thrill of going through that section at all. Then there's the two obligatory Mulsanne Chicanes that has barely any semblance of character. Second half of the track is slightly better, mostly because of the iconic Porsche Curves. If didn't exist the track's literally just a plug-track that has all the stereotypical corners in the world with no real defining characteristic

St. Croix (Config C) on the other hand is full of character. It has a very technical downhill right-left that requires you to trail-brake into the chicane leading from the bridge right after the exit of the former S curve, which requires you to be able to balance your car within the split-second transition between this high-speed downhill to the tight slightly uphill turn. And then there's a flowing right-hander just before the big straight that's a half-blind corner. You may know where the entry is, but you need to trust yourself on the apex and exit. Turn 1 is deceptive with its wide track that isn't intended to be used, as is another couple of turns. The last 3 high speed corners, comprising of 2 left handers and one right, is very flowing and requires a delicate steering rhythm, not much unlike the Porsche Curves. Your entry on that section will prove to be your exit on the final one
I don’t have a stigma against PD circuits. I LOVE Grand Valley, Trial Mountain, Deep Forest, Autumn Ring, Midfield, High Speed Ring, Apricot Hill, Seattle, the original Rome, Sierra, SSR5, SSR11, SSR7, and more.

I was just saying that the arguement of “if La Sarthe was PD created, people would hate it,” isn’t very valid. I’m not even arguing that La Sarthe is the most intriguing layout ever - it’s the history that makes La Sarthe special.

I’ve been able to get more laps in on the C layout, and it’s growing on me. I still think T1 and T2 are an abomination, worst first corner on any circuit I can think of. The second half of the lap after the bridge is growing on me.

However, as I spend more time on the circuit and start to like the layout a little more, I’m noticing more and more things about the scenery and background that I find hideous or completely immersion braking. The 2D tree walls, the generic barriers around the whole circuit, the lack of proper road markings and signage on large portions of the 1st half of the lap, things like that.

Even the bridge itself pisses me off. You have a massive bridge which is part of a public road, that leads to a T intersection with a racing circuit....wtf. If the roads before the bridge had proper road markings, it’d be ok, but as is, it drives me bonkers.

I still maintain that the A layout is garbage

Last edited:
After coming from PCARS for almost 2 years, I can definitely feel something funky going on with the controller feeling in GTS.

I’ve triple checked I have all the aids turned off, but I still feel like I’m getting some type of steering assist. I drive with cockpit cam, so what’s throwing me off is the hand/wheel movements don’t seem to match my inputs. It’s like there’s an automatic speed sensitivity or something - in corners with long exits, as I pick up speed, I can see/feel the game unwinding the steering lock for me.

Also, when trying to catch oversteer moments, I’ve had several times where the game has corrected the oversteer for me, causing my corrections to be unnecessary and end up flinging myself off the circuit in a rediculous looking way.

Not really complaining per say, it’s just something I’ll need to get used to. But it definitely feels like I’m getting help from the game, dispite having all the driving aids turned off.

I don’t have a stigma against PD circuits. I LOVE Grand Valley, Trial Mountain, Deep Forest, Autumn Ring, Midfield, High Speed Ring, Apricot Hill, Seattle, the original Rome, Sierra, SSR5, SSR11, SSR7, and more.

I was just saying that the arguement of “if La Sarthe was PD created, people would hate it,” isn’t very valid. I’m not even arguing that La Sarthe is the most intriguing layout ever - it’s the history that makes La Sarthe special.

I’ve been able to get more laps in on the C layout, and it’s growing on me. I still think T1 and T2 are an abomination, worst first corner on any circuit I can think of. The second half of the lap after the bridge is growing on me.

However, as I spend more time on the circuit and start to like the layout a little more, I’m noticing more and more things about the scenery and background that I find hideous or completely immersion braking. The 2D tree walls, the generic barriers around the whole circuit, the lack of proper road markings and signage on large portions of the 1st half of the lap, things like that.

Even the bridge itself pisses me off. You have a massive bridge which is part of a public road, that leads to a T intersection with a racing circuit....wtf. The the roads before the bridge had proper road markings, it’s be ok, but as is, it drives me bonkers.

I still maintain that he A layout in garbage
That's precisely the thing about La Sarthe- all it's got going for it is history. If it didn't exist in real life and was made by PD as a fantasy track, people would hate it for its boring layout

St. Croix does take some getting used to as a layout, but I haven't actually noticed any of the background details, or sometimes lack thereof that it exhibits. All I paid attention to was the markers, some empty ad boards I use as a brake marker, the color differentiation on the road at the long right hander that leads to the long straight (all Config C), and the puuuurrrrtttyyyy flowers (probably the only thing I see that isn't a marker). So sadly I can't share the annoyance. But now that I've been spoiled maybe I'll start to notice them a bit more

Even the bridge itself pisses me off. You have a massive bridge which is part of a public road, that leads to a T intersection with a racing circuit....wtf. The the roads before the bridge had proper road markings, it’s be ok, but as is, it drives me bonkers.

I still maintain that he A layout in garbage

I posted a cockpit cam of me in the w08 in the video and pictures thread and you can see me struggling in the chicane after the bridge.
Yeah it’s not great at all

I guess I wrote this reply but never posted it. Man, I really am getting mixed up at home.

Do you always get unsettled and spin?
Not always spinning, but almost always unsettled. I usually have a choice between losing control and losing time, or crawling at an embarrassing pace. I haven't tried it after the new update. I'm hoping that it helps. The issue is as soon as the left side of the car drops it instantly kicks the rear out violently. I try to go through with as straight a line as I can, and I notice what bites me the most is deceleration off throttle causing the inside tire to break traction. It's a delicate dance that's for sure.

My other one is the right turn at the top of the hill, at Willow Springs Big Willow, when you start going down hill. I think that one is because I can't really see the corner exit when it's time to get back to the throttle.
Update: Solved :D
26f3dc00-9a7f-11e8-8eee-025c843497ba.jpg

Last edited:
No mention of the chicane at Tokyo South Outer? In Gr.3, you're pretty much guaranteed to get airtime if you're going fast (about 130 km/h) through there thanks to the kerbs. Whether your car will be pointing in the right direction afterwards or land at a weird angle and slam into the wall seems to be down to chance. And let's not discuss the 5 second penalty that follows said wall collision... :yuck: This chicane has done me in way more times than acceptable, it's botched many Q laps... ugh :ouch:

Last left-hander at Fuji. :yuck: It's tough to be consistent on that one.
I hate every single corner of Fuji except the first. (I guess that's why they put it every week in "daily" race)

Is there a way to start enjoying this track when you hate it?

Panorama pit entry T1.
indeed a good way to completely ruin a race at the place you expect it the least

Downhill right at Autopolis. Apex obscured as you approach combined with the need to commit early to maximise exit speed makes it a precise balancing act where too much or too little caution costs dearly.

Back