Most difficult turns in the game

• Thread starter sturk0167
  • 81 comments
Easy choice. The sharp left with the drop at the top of Mt. Panorama. I manage to get through it cleanly about twice or thrice out of every ten laps I run. I am hopelessly outpaced on that track just because of that one corner. I can't think of any other part of any other circuit in the game that gives me anywhere close to the headache I get there.

edit- I take that back. There is that left hander onto the back straight of Dragon Trail Gardens. The one with the death curb. I can't figure out how everyone else is getting around this corner with such a run compared to me while I then outpace them everywhere else on the track. Still, I never lose a race completely on this corner so it's not as bad as Mt. Panorama. There's a big difference between losing a few tenths each lap and hoping that you'll even survive the lap.

Easy choice. The sharp left with the drop at the top of Mt. Panorama. I manage to get through it cleanly about twice or thrice out of every ten laps I run. I am hopelessly outpaced on that track just because of that one corner. I can't think of any other part of any other circuit in the game that gives me anywhere close to the headache I get there.

edit- I take that back. There is that left hander onto the back straight of Dragon Trail Gardens. The one with the death curb. I can't figure out how everyone else is getting around this corner with such a run compared to me while I then outpace them everywhere else on the track. Still, I never lose a race completely on this corner so it's not as bad as Mt. Panorama. There's a big difference between losing a few tenths each lap and hoping that you'll even survive the lap.

Do you always get unsettled and spin?

That entire complex of turns on de la Sarthe, from the Porsche Curves to the Ford Chicane is really doing my head in lately. I keep forgetting which side of the track to exit on and I keep screwing up the whole lap.

le-mans-2014-Porsche-Curves.jpg

Yeah the last corner at Big Willow is one I absolutely hate, I just can't get a feel for it at all on entry. Sometimes it's perfect and others the inside kerb just throws me off into the desert.
Yeah, I've pretty much given up on that one. Now, I just slow way down to stay out of the dirt, so my exit isn't very fast, but it beats the alternative.

Yeah, I've pretty much given up on that one. Now, I just slow way down to stay out of the dirt, so my exit isn't very fast, but it beats the alternative.
I never learn, one lap I'll get it perfect and think "oh I'll just do that every lap" ...and then fail to ever do it again and just end up spinning out :lol:

All this talk of Dragon Trail and not one mention of the second hairpin on the Reverse track...
Seriously, this corner has two lines:
* Brake in a sensible place, crash to the outside on entry
* Brake way too early, dawdle through the apex, crash to the outside on exit

It doesn't matter which side of the track you are, if you brake in a sensible place, you're off the track to the outside. If you brake a foot earlier, it's way too early, you crawl around it like a turtle on mogadons and then think about accelerating for the straight and you're off the track to the outside.

If there's other people on the track, you might survive a sensible braking point by battering off them, but you'll not survive an early one because they'll batter off you. There is no actual way to take this corner.

Seriously, this corner has two lines:
* Brake in a sensible place, crash to the outside on entry
* Brake way too early, dawdle through the apex, crash to the outside on exit

It doesn't matter which side of the track you are, if you brake in a sensible place, you're off the track to the outside. If you brake a foot earlier, it's way too early, you crawl around it like a turtle on mogadons and then think about accelerating for the straight and you're off the track to the outside.

If there's other people on the track, you might survive a sensible braking point by battering off them, but you'll not survive an early one because they'll batter off you. There is no actual way to take this corner.
I've only raced on that layout a few times, mostly because the last sector is horrible in that configuration.
But that corner didn't throw up too many issues for me, the biggest issue is being punted from behind. I'd have to have another look tonight, but I try and follow the line I would when the track is going forward, so take a wide outside line and try and cut in just missing the inside kerb on the exit.

adb
Give it a go in slower car, maybe it will help you figure it out. The moment you crack this track, it’s an utter joy
I'm no slow pooch just hate the track, like hate is a pretty soft word, I despise Brands Hatch.

Last edited:
There are a couple of turns that come to mind that I can get right sometimes, but for some reason, I can't be consistent in nailing them.

One of my toughest is the right turn at Suzuka that comes right after the esses. It's not sharp at all, maybe 45 degrees, but I have a hard time judging the correct amount of braking.
My other one is the right turn at the top of the hill, at Willow Springs Big Willow, when you start going down hill. I think that one is because I can't really see the corner exit when it's time to get back to the throttle.

Which turns give you guys the most trouble?
i think its after the new up dates because dragon trail seaside is killing me now

All of Brands Hatch bar one or two corners feels like you are about to fall off the outside. Satisfying when you nail it, I go between love/frustration but have to respect it as a real test of skill.

Turn 4 - Lago, at Interlagos, not only trail braking but also getting on power again too early or too late ruins the next straight/turn/straight section.

Turn 1 - Nur GP - There is no good place to be here when another car is behind you, being punted off loses so much time.

Dragon Trail Gardens - Hairpin at the end of the bent back straight worse in reverse but forward I only perfect it 1/10 times, and usually brake too early and trail brake perfectly and crawl round waiting till I can get back on the power (which is always a tiny bit later than you would think), or brake too late trying to learn from that mistake and go too deep.

EDIT: One last one I forgot - Turning it off.

Last edited:
I'm no slow pooch just hate the track, like hate is a pretty soft word, I despise Brands Hatch.
Not saying you are slow, just sharing my experience. Really fell in love with this track when I started driving an MX5 Cup car in AC and was pretty fast with this combo, made it easier for me to adapt with other cars

Suzuka: entrance of Dunlop and the exit of Spoon.
Lago Maggiore: Turn 4, so hard for me to get right. Last turn, even harder for me to get right.
Sarthe: Porsche through Corvette curves
Brands Hatch: all of them
Willow Springs: I hate all 3 tracks there, but last turn on Big Willow can go to hell.

Not exactly difficult, but a turn I really don't like is Nurb GP's turn 1. I will either brake too soon, or too late, it's actually even worse when I have no one in front of me to help me get a reference when I should be braking.

I'm not a fan of sharp, 90º turns, that's why I'm not exactly fond of our new track.

Nordschleife has a lot of difficult turns/sectors, but I love every single one of them. Same with Bathurst and La Sarthe.

Bergwerk on the Nordschleife. At this corner I miss my turn in point frequently. Sure I have more corners I mess up but this one is the first I can think off

All of Suzuka, Brands Hatch, and the mountain at Bathurst. I just can never get into my groove at those tracks for some reason

I must have an odd driving style, because I love all of Brands and the Degners at Suzuka.

For some reason, I can never get a good line through the chicane at Suzuka. I'm always losing time there and it leaves me vulnerable on the straight.

Turn 1 at Nurb GP is another I mess up all the time, especially in traffic, since it can be hard to see my braking point. Maybe I need to stop using bumper cam.
You might be able to pick up a thing or two from this video. Made in pcars, but the discussion of line applies to any platform.

This guy has an entire series on becoming an alien, braking cornering down into multiple segments and discussing all of them.

Not exactly difficult, but a turn I really don't like is Nurb GP's turn 1. I will either brake too soon, or too late, it's actually even worse when I have no one in front of me to help me get a reference when I should be braking.

I'm not a fan of sharp, 90º turns, that's why I'm not exactly fond of our new track.

Nordschleife has a lot of difficult turns/sectors, but I love every single one of them. Same with Bathurst and La Sarthe.

How can you hate 90º turns but like Mount Panorama? Doesn't that track have like 3 90º turns?

(Completely off-topic, but do you play Siege?)

How can you hate 90º turns but like Mount Panorama? Doesn't that track have like 3 90º turns?

Mt. Panorama is an exception to this rule, I think :lol: I love the feeling of the track so much I don't even notice the more sharp turns that much. And they aren't as bad as the ones in St. Croix.

I don't play Siege anymore.

I’ve always thought that if you hate a certain car or track it’s because you need more practice. Focus on it for a while and you might find you actually like it.
The corner I really hate though is the first corner at Monza, first lap in a race it’s a nightmare and this is where I usually get “first corner, second lap syndrome” where I completely miss judge the braking point due to looking in my mirrors.

Last edited:
I’ve always thought that if you have a certain car or track it’s because you need more practice. Focus on it for a while and you might find you actually like it.
The corner I really hate though is the first corner at Monza, first lap in a race it’s a nightmare and this is where I usually get “first corner, second lap syndrome” where I completely miss judge the braking point due to looking in my mirrors.
I used to think that as well, but I already have a couple of Top 10s at La Sarthe and I still don't like the track and its flow :lol:

I'd say the chicane before the start/finish line of Suzuka is one of the hardest corners in the game, especially when you're almost at full throttle when exiting130R.
Come to think of it, the Snake curves after the first corner are kinda hard to master too. A little too much throttle and you end up in the sand trap.

I already have a couple of Top 10s at La Sarthe and I still don't like the track and its flow

If it was a Polyphony track people would say how unrealistic it was, that no race track would ever have constant straights and chicanes, and the Porsche curves are terribly boring in slow cars, and the chicane at the end is too tight, FIA wouldn't allow it, PD used a course editor and....

The 3 90º turns at Bathurst though are actually quite technical, one is off camber, another has deadly kerbs, one you can't cut on the inside but can run deep....

Non of the corners at this new track have any of that nuance

Last edited:
Circuit de Sainte-Croix has a couple of interesting corners! There are a couple with adverse camber which can propel you into the barriers if you brake 5m too late. The left at Layout A after crossing the bridge is the perfect example of this.

I really enjoy the circuit though.

If it was a Polyphony track people would say how unrealistic it was, that no race track would ever have constant straights and chicanes, and the Porsche curves are terribly boring in slow cars, and the chicane at the end is too tight, FIA wouldn't allow it, PD used a course editor and....
This is the most accurate thing I've read this whole day

Back