Most Overlooked New Cars Since 1990+

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 87 comments
  • 3,392 views
JCE3000GT
Unless facing an NSX-T turbo model

The "T" in NSX-T stands for "Targa". There were no factory forced induction NSXs. 276hp was the tops (except for a couple of the "last hurrah" models, but it still wasn't a significant hike), with 254hp from the earliest 3.0 V6s.

Many of the American-market NSXs were equipped with the F-matic gearbox, which made them a SECOND slower to 60mph than the manual. This may explain your perception that they aren't fast - a second's different out of 5 seconds is a very long time indeed.
 
Famine
The "T" in NSX-T stands for "Targa". There were no factory forced induction NSXs. 276hp was the tops (except for a couple of the "last hurrah" models, but it still wasn't a significant hike), with 254hp from the earliest 3.0 V6s.

Many of the American-market NSXs were equipped with the F-matic gearbox, which made them a SECOND slower to 60mph than the manual. This may explain your perception that they aren't fast - a second's different out of 5 seconds is a very long time indeed.

Well the Japanese NSX I drove had a turbo, so I guess it was an aftermarket turbo. Me not being a Honda fanboy I didn't know the "T" meant Targa. :sly: I've ridden in a manual NSX and I still stand behind my statement that they are overrated in the speed department. They aren't as fast as people say they are...that "276bhp" limit that the Japanese carmakers had (referred to as the gentlemen's agreement) was frankly a farce. 276bhp was underrated on the 5 Twin Turbo cars and the NSX...as well as the WRX STi, EVO, and other frankly powerful Japanese cars. Again, I do like the NSX so please no one take anything I say as me bashing it. 👍
 
I always thought of the NSX as under-rated in the American motoring media; not as fast as a Corvette, pricier than a Corvette, not as "exotic" as an exotic sports car should be...yet had the dual persona of Grandma's Civic and Grand Prix car rolled into one.

It sort of pidgeonholed itself, especially as the car went unchanged for 10 years and increased in price; the competition got more power, cost less money, and although it was tough to beat on a racetrack, few people buy exotic cars for racetracks. Acura/Honda made the mistake of ballooning the car's price and not much of offering anything additional over the years. I have to give a lot of credit, since the US market for Japanese sports-cars was quite barren from 1997-2000, so the NSX was pretty much the only game in town.

The car still turns heads when up close, yet won't draw a second look from 100 feet away. I don't know if that was an intentionally brilliant Honda strategy, or a totally unintentional curse.
 
JCE3000GT
that "276bhp" limit that the Japanese carmakers had (referred to as the gentlemen's agreement) was frankly a farce. 276bhp was underrated on the 5 Twin Turbo cars and the NSX...as well as the WRX STi, EVO, and other frankly powerful Japanese cars.

In Honda's case, it wasn't. The NSX actually shipped with 276hp.
 
I think the biggest problem with the NSX is that a lot of the credit that the car recieves comes directly from Gran Turismo, without anyone actually being inside or seeing an actual model.

We have a few running around here in Grand Rapids, my Grandfather almost bought a used NSX a few years back for about $25K, but then he realised that it only might fit in the Garage if the Prelude is parked there, but not a chance if the Tahoe is there.

The car will be fondly rememberd as Honda's first true "Halo" car, but the fact stll remains that the Corvette and 911 got better as the years went on, and the NSX only got more expensive.
 
YSSMAN
The car will be fondly rememberd as Honda's first true "Halo" car, but the fact stll remains that the Corvette and 911 got better as the years went on, and the NSX only got more expensive.

I think that says it all. Honda's only failure with the NSX was not to evolve it. It took the world by storm when it debuted but by the time Ferrari made the 355 the NSX was no longer the giant slayer. Had Honda decided to go after Ferrari again and beat the 355 it would have gone a long way to having a lasting effect on the car world but as it is the car just became old news. Now the NSX is probably not in most peoples top 20 super cars.
 
IMADreamer
I think that says it all. Honda's only failure with the NSX was not to evolve it. It took the world by storm when it debuted but by the time Ferrari made the 355 the NSX was no longer the giant slayer. Had Honda decided to go after Ferrari again and beat the 355 it would have gone a long way to having a lasting effect on the car world but as it is the car just became old news. Now the NSX is probably not in most peoples top 20 super cars.

I agree with everything you just said except for the last sentence. I DO believe it is in most people's supercar top 20--but it's contengient on the fact that the person has to know something about cars and can't be some casual observer.

Maybe someone should post a topic asking for people's top 10 or 15 supercar list thread. :sly:
 
JCE3000GT
I agree with everything you just said except for the last sentence. I DO believe it is in most people's supercar top 20--but it's contengient on the fact that the person has to know something about cars and can't be some casual observer.

Maybe someone should post a topic asking for people's top 10 or 15 supercar list thread. :sly:


I would like to think I am more then a casual observer and I dont' put it in my top 20. 10 years ago however it would have been in my top 5. I don't think asking peoples top 10 supercars on this board is going to be too productive. No offense to anyone here but ignorance flows freely (myself included in many cases). There are few experts here. I can think of two people right now on here whom I would actually like to see their top 10 list.
 
Business Week had a list in their Magazine a few weeks ago of the top "Halo" cars at different companies from the last few decades. They generally define a "Halo" car as a particular model that creates interest in a brand, so, the list may seem a bit strange...

Business Week and Leftlanenews.com
* Pontiac Solstice
* Saturn Sky
* Ford Thunderbird
* Ford GT
* Ford Mustang GT500
* Dodge Viper
* Mazda Miata
* Lincoln Navigator
* Chrysler 300
* Volkswagen Phaeton
* Toyota Prius
* Chevrolet Corvette
* Oldsmobile Aurora
* Studebaker Avanti
* Honda/Acura NSX

...I don't agree with all of them, but note that the NSX is on the list...
 
Pupik
I always had a soft spot for the 2nd-generation Oldsmobile Aurora, it just wasn't really refined enough to compete with the A6/GS/E-Class/5-series. It could have been the car that "saved" the brand, as the 1st-generation was quite popular with their owners, according to a Road & Track owner's poll.

But damn, they were super-cheap new-car bargains (in this area) around late-2002 to mid-2003! I saw them for about 22-26k in the papers; it was just a little bit of my price range, what with my uncertain job future at the time.

May I humbly suggest another oft-forgotten flash of brilliance from the brand that died on the cross for the General's sins:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...m=130008902535&ih=003&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

Man, if I had the garage space, the money and the guts to test my dad's patience...:drool:...that would definitely be one of the first car's I'd invest in (I say "invest" because those things are only going to increase in value as the years go by; but that certainly doesn't mean I wouldn't drive it!).
 
Post RWD Olds Cutlass? Even as a GM guy I steer clear of those, but I would agree that they weren't bad cars.

Frankly, the Olds Cutlass Supreme Coupes of the '80s will always have a soft spot in my heart, in particular those T-Tops with the 307ci V8...
 
The Mitsubishi Galant comes to mind, as does the Mazda B-series trucks and, OH! The Acura Legend. The entire range of Eagle vehicles as well. Speaking of the major Chrysler alliance back then, another bi-product (to a lesser extent) the Plymouth Laser 2.0 Turbo.
 
Talk about a forgotten car, the Lazer is a good one! What about the Starion turn Conquest here in America?
 
I almost purchased a Conquest 2 years ago, but I was advised to keep away, as the turbocharger was shot. Yet another good. one. 👍

The four-headlamp design Celicas (That's from '95-'97, I believe) aren't really that popular around here, is it true everywhere else?

Edit: The Early 90's Thunderbirds, Buick Rivieras, Fiero's (Even if production ended in '87 and remnants were sold as 88's. It's close enough.) and the Stutz cars. But in the case of Stutz, I believe to be overlooked, you must be first looked over. :crazy:
 
YSSMAN
Post RWD Olds Cutlass? Even as a GM guy I steer clear of those, but I would agree that they weren't bad cars.

Frankly, the Olds Cutlass Supreme Coupes of the '80s will always have a soft spot in my heart, in particular those T-Tops with the 307ci V8...

Meh, I guess I just get a charge out of the idea of spanking 90% of all Integras and Eclipses in a stock 15 year old car using the same formula (FWD, rev-happy four, etc.). On a semi-related note my aunt had, up until a couple of years ago, a '78(?) Cutlass Supreme Coupe. It's probably a low rider by now :lol:, but I imagine it had 307 and left the factory painted chocolate brown. Woulda been fun to turn into a retro-NASCAR-style g-machine (I'd call it "The Flying Fudgesicle!"), though keeping it smog legal without switching to a "corporate engine" probably would have been impossible... :grumpy: 👎
 
I know what you mean about the '90s FWD Cutlass models. They made a pretty hot 442 model with the Quad-4 in '90-'92, which apparently was quite quick.

Another good sleeper GM model from the same time?

The Chevrolet Beretta GTZ. It was about as fast as the M3 of the time (and I'm NOT joking whatsoever), and cost a helluva lot less. Too bad it wasn't very refined, and they didn't sell many, as that would be a sweet find today in good condition.
 
I keep finding these cars just outside the 1990 Barrier. Think, for example, the Camaro Berlinetta that ended production in 1988. :sick:
 
Well, it kinda counts I suppose. I'd say that '88-'92 in the US was kinda rolled up together in a strange way...
 
opendriver19a
Ford SHO V-8...:D

front wheel drive v8 :crazy: not to mention being one of the ugliest cars known to man, ford tryed selling the taurus here in australia...what a turd
it should be overlooked

i laugh everytime i see one, not that thats very often
 
Is it unfortunate that I can't think of a single car that warrants placement on this list? Most of the cars you guys posted were either not overlooked or overlooked for a huge reason, or many huge reasons. I really can't think of one.
 
the VW phaeton and audi A8 are credible competitors for the obligatory 7 seroes and S class favorites.

i would also add the XJ series, but the jags are a little tight on headroom. the new (all aluminium) one is supposed to be better.

the VW loses by not being a premium brand, only.
the A8 i dont know why. its a great car. classy looks, decent power, awd. just not the same cachet.
 
The current A8 isn't overlooked at all, it sells very comparably to competitors.
 
The Proton Impian is decent enough, but sells very few.

Even the Petronas BTCC program did little to help.


Also, the VW Polo Dune. I read a lot abou them but have only seen one on the road.
 
Going to resume an older thread, because I have actually purchased a qualified vehicle. :)

1995 Hyundai Scoupe (Pronounced Scoop)

I managed to procure for myself the Turbo model. The car itself features basically the detuned (or, more appropriately, de-bored) version of the hot 2.0 Turbo featured in the 1st Generation Eclipse/ Talon/ Laser. It's a 1.5L SOCH, with at Garett T15 turbo, about 130 hp to the wheels in all. The suspention is said to be tuned by Lotus and features gas-pressurized shocks...which make the car scapel-sharp and glass-smooth. I love it dearly, and it's a fair margin quicker than any Hyundai I've ever been in!! I've seen two. Ever. And parts are a premium, but the performance is also. :D


Cheers,
Jetboy
 
Got any pics of that badboy? :D
 
Honda Prelude, specifically, the US 92-96 model. :D

Sure my opinion may be biased, but this is how I see it. Back when it arrived on US soil, it had the largest and most powerful engine Honda had ever sent to the US (not including the NSX since it was badged as an Acura). With its available VTEC, and AWS it made for one of the cheapest, yet one of the most fun cars to drive on the street, easily out handling many cars twice its price. 👍

I agree with you, but you have to add 5th gen (97-01) onto your list too. Even so, I think that the Prelude is a wonderful car that still holds its ground today in terms of looks, mileage, power (for a 4 banger), reliability, fun to drive etc. I am a little biased too though :grumpy:👍
 
Back