Most overrated song?Music 

United States
The US of A
While I am aware we have a thread for overrated artists, one thread I can’t believe we don’t already have is one for overrated songs. I am sure we have some songs out there that have become very popular that we feel aren’t nearly as good as they’re made out to be and don’t deserve the popularity they receive. Well that’s what this thread is for and this is where you can post about them! :)

Keep in mind, this thread is about a particular song, not the entirety of what an artist has done, so lets not have any of these "anything by [insert artist here]" here responses please. If you think a lot of what an artist does is overrated, then the overrated artists thread is probably a better place for that.

Last edited:
...💡

Well, I'll get the balling rolling first with a controversial one: Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. Every time I hear it, the only impression I get is... a "jumbled mess".

I still can't figure out why this song is so popular. Must be the Wayne's World thing or something.

"Before He Cheats" by Carrie Underwood.

I can still remember when this song was new and nowadays, when someone mentions Carrie Underwood, this song is bound to come up, but I never was too fond of it from the get go. In fact, I generally didn't care too much for Carrie Underwood's earlier hits in general back in the day and while I still am not super crazy about them, I have come to like them more so than I used to. This song on the other hand? Not so much. The song tries to be clever, but in my opinion, it doesn't really succeed in doing so and just ultimately comes off as rather uninteresting to me. Now I don't dislike the song nor do I think it's bad and I don't really mind listening to it, but I just never cared too much for this song. I always thought the song was pretty overrated, and would prefer just about every other song I have heard from her over this.

"I Ain't in Checotah Anymore" and "We're and Young Beautiful" are some of my most favorite songs from her, both are from the same album and it's still weird to me how they didn't become hits and this one did. I personally find them to be way better than "Before He Cheats" ever was, yet no one ever talks about them.

Last edited:
...💡

Well, I'll get the balling rolling first with a controversial one: Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. Every time I hear it, the only impression I get is... a "jumbled mess".

I still can't figure out why this song is so popular. Must be the Wayne's World thing or something.
I mean...I can appreciate the tune, but I am so very tired of it. I love Queen. I love that album. "The Prophet's Song" and "'39" are the standout tracks for me.

"Crossroads" by Bone Thugs n Harmony.

Used to listen to a lot rap music in my teen years and that of course eventually led to me to finding out about these guys and their music. So I went around and asked a few people I knew who listened to them for some recommendations and they all unanimously recommended this song to me. So I got it and gave it an honest chance, and I was met with immediate confusion as to why they recommended it to me and was overall, unimpressed by it. Fast forward 10 years later, while I don't listen to rap anymore and typically avoid it like a plague, I still occasionally hear about this song again when the group is brought up and I did decide to look at it again before posting this as a refresher and honestly, I still can't fully wrap my head around why people like this song so much.

Now I don't think Bone Thugs n Harmony are overrated nor do I think they're bad. Back when I listened to them, I heard a good number of songs from them and they always managed to amaze me in some way or another, this was the only one that failed to do so for me. They may not be my style anymore, but I can still admire what they do even if it ain't for me. However, even with all that said, I still don't get what's so big about it. While it's not terrible, the composition is alright I suppose, but in my opinion, it's just boring, VERY boring, goes on too long and I just don't think it's all that great. Certainly not as good as people make it out to be and I always found this one to be highly overrated. Heck, when I think of overrated songs, this is the big one among the first few that comes to mind for me.

Last edited:
"Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey.

I can't be the only one who thinks this song is overrated. Whether it be shows, movies, commercials, radio or whatever other thing that plays audio, this song can be heard pretty much everywhere and is so overused and overplayed to the point I'd be genuinely shocked if someone has never heard of it before. Nowadays, I feel like when people think of Journey, this is one of the first things to come to mind. Which is kind of sad because they have had other good songs before, like "Wheel In The Sky", "Still They Ride", or "Somethin' to Hide" for instance, that I personally like a lot more and I feel they are largely and undeservingly overshadowed by this song.

Is the song bad? Not at all, it's a great song for sure and I do like it, more so than the other overrated ones I have posted in this thread. However, I feel the song has become so cliché, overplayed and overused to the point that it's not that interesting to hear anymore and I don't think it's the absolute best to ever come from Journey. Again, not a bad song by any means, it's just extremely overrated in my opinion.

Last edited:
Get the torches and other rioting gear ready:

UniqueBlindGoitered-size_restricted.gif

Absolutely anything and everything from Black Pink. I seriously cannot stand the ice cream song.

"Anything from..." seems to miss the point of the thread. Even more, it comes off as little more than "I don't like this," and if the thread becomes that, maybe it shouldn't exist. This applies to that "worst song" thread as well.

Beyond that, I really don't understand this "underrated," "overrated," "underappreciated" and [so on] stuff. People have different tastes in basically everything. If a song gets more play than you think it deserves, it likely means that your tastes don't align perfectly with the tastes of others, and not only is there nothing wrong with that, but it's actually awesome.

"Anything from..." seems to miss the point of the thread.
I agree. I have debated as to whether I should allow these types of responses here. I am leaning towards making a rule against it because this thread is intended to be for a certain song you find overrated, not a huge portion of what an artist has ever done. I mean, thinking about it now, if a lot of what an artist does is overrated to someone, the overrated artists thread is probably a better place for that than here.

Last edited:
If a song gets more play than you think it deserves, it likely means that your tastes don't align perfectly with the tastes of others, and not only is there nothing wrong with that, but it's actually awesome.

...Unless that song is Cardi B's WAP. :lol:

Not sure if it's overrated, but it's overplayed for sure... I'm too afraid to even look up what song it is but I absolutely hate it. Whatever that song that was played just about everywhere in 2019 and still being played to this day by Lizzo. Never even heard of her until everyone started playing it. Still hearing it to this day at my work's radio.... I'm guessing someone more in tune with current pop songs knows what I'm talking about. I'm not even going to look it up I hate it so much.

"Better Together" by Luke Combs.

To be frank, I find a lot of his hit songs to be overrated including Luke himself. However, rather than just posting all of them here, I am just going to pick one for this thread that I feel is the most overrated, until something comes around and topples this one over. I know I have talked about him before, but given the nature of this thread, it was only natural he'd be mentioned eventually.

Anyways, despite not being a huge fan of him, I can usually get a vague idea as to why some of his hits became so popular. This one however? Not so much. For starters, the song is just boring in my opinion, and the lack of instrumentation certainly doesn't help. Some songs don't need much of it to be good, one could argue Luke's music is an example of this (something that's actually happened before) and I might get some flack for saying this, but "Better Together" is not one of them. Not only that, but I find Luke's voice to be a touch too loud, and maybe it's just me, but he sounds bored and mildly unenthused in this song like he'd much rather be performing something else than this.

The idea of this song isn't exactly a new one either. Take "Made for You" by Jake Owen for instance. This song has a very similar meaning, came out only a few months before this one did and in my opinion, is far more pleasing to listen to than "Better Together" ever was. Yet I almost never hear it on the radio, meanwhile I hear "Better Together" every other hour. And it ain't just "Made for You" either, theirs some others I could mention in relation to this. I don't hate the song, but I don't love it either, at best I think it's "okay". Yet somehow, it's become yet another overplayed hit for him and maybe I am looking at it wrong, but I don't think it lives up to the hype.

Last edited:
Crank Dat (Soulja Boy) by Soulja Boy Tell'em.

It's a song that came out in 2007, was #1 for 7 weeks on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100, has 507 million views on Youtube, and spawned various wannabes trying to be like him and how on Earth it ever became as big as it was is something I never understood. The first time I heard it, I didn't hate it, but I thought it was kind of weird and I couldn't figure out why my cousin had so much enthusiasm for it. Admittingly, I was new to the genre at the time and wasn't too familiar with it. Although I did eventually warm up to the song a little the more I heard it and eventually became obsessed with rap more than any other genre later on, how this song generated so much hype still didn't make sense to me even then.

Listening to it as an adult, it makes even less sense to me and I think it's a pretty dumb song looking back now and pretty repetitive too. Sure it had a dance that might have had something to do with it, but I have heard other songs that did, ones I find to be much better than this one, that didn't really catch on. I can sort of understand why "Old Town Road", "The Git Up", "Fancy Like", and "Boot Skootin' Boogie" became hits, but this? Not so much.

Do I hate this song? Honestly, despite what I said here, no I don't. I am slightly nostalgic for it since I grew up hearing it a lot, but still, in my opinion, it really isn't that great of a song, never was. Maybe it's because I didn't care about dancing (still don't) and didn't care for it's dance as a result, but regardless, I still think it's a very overrated song.

Last edited:
"Heart Like A Truck" by Lainey Wilson.

I love Lainey Wilson as an artist, so much so I bought her latest album when it hit store shelves, and she's honestly one of my favorite female artists in modern country music. However, I can't help but find this song to be a bit overrated. For starters, making comparisons can be good, but the fact she's comparing her heart to a truck just strikes me as a bit silly. The biggest thing for me though is this song is like Carrie Underwood's "Before He Cheats" in the sense it's become the song she's known for when she has other songs on the same album that I strongly feel are more deserving of the title. Namely "Hold my Halo", "Wildflowers and Wildhorses" and a few others, but they are being undeservingly overshadowed by this one. And it's weird to me "Hold my Halo" didn't get more attention because Lainey promoted it a bit on social media prior to the release, yet I never hear about it these days. Don't get me wrong, "Heart Like A Truck" is a good song I guess, but compared to a lot of the other songs she did on her album, it just pales in comparison to most of them and is not Lainey's best in my opinion.

"One Beer" by Hardy.

And I have similar thoughts about this one too, however, I feel even more strongly about this one than the one above. Hixtape Vol. 1 has some great songs on there, some really interesting collaborations, even some old voices you never hear from anymore, and nearly all of them I can listen to and say "This is my jam!". And then you have this one, that sounds more like something I'd hear every other hour on the radio and something that feels more like it belongs on one of his studio albums than Hixtape. Oh wait, it literally is, not only did it get played often when it was released and still does sometimes, but Hardy even featured it on his debut studio album. This song is good though, it's still a decent track from him, but it's easily the most underwhelming track on Hixtape Vol. 1, yet it became his biggest hit on there. It's just insane to me how it did when he has all this other interesting stuff on the same album that was never really acknowledged much for some reason, which is unfortunate.

Last edited:
I don't understand why some actually good songs are listed in here at all when there are perfectly bad songs that are considered great - like Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash.

I mean, say all you want about Queen or Carrie Underwood or Led Zeppelin or Journey not making your favorite songs. The songs mentioned are not bad songs. Ring of Fire is friggin obnoxious. Johnny Cash is atrocious of course, as always. But the song itself is just devoid of merit. The lyrics are crap, the beat is no good, the backup singing is hilarious, the main vocals are garbage, the mariachi lick is basically ubiquitous, the guitar is trivial and forgettable... it's just hot garbage.

I'll give you another one. Hurt, by Johnny Cash. Now Hurt is a good song. I'm not sure it's a GREAT song, but it's good as far as songs go. Johnny Cash took a good song and made it a lot worse, and somehow people think otherwise.

Last edited:
The songs mentioned are not bad songs.
I hope you know I did say this in my posts:
Now I don't dislike the song nor do I think it's bad
Is the song bad? Not at all, it's a great song for sure and I do like it, more so than the other overrated ones I have posted in this thread.
I'll give you another one. Hurt, by Johnny Cash. Now Hurt is a good song. I'm not sure it's a GREAT song, but it's good as far as songs go. Johnny Cash took a good song and made it a lot worse, and somehow people think otherwise.
You know, I was browsing a thread on Reddit recently regarding overrated songs and this was one that was brought up there, and it had a lot of downvotes too. Personally, I don't know if I have heard this song before or not, and if I have, it's probably been a long time and I don't remember it anymore, so I don't know what to say about it, but I thought this was worth mentioning.

Last edited:
You know, I was browsing a thread on Reddit recently regarding overrated songs and this was one that was brought up there, and it had a lot of downvotes too. Personally, I don't know if I have heard this song before or not, and if I have, it's probably been a long time and I don't remember it anymore, so I don't know what to say about it, but I thought this was worth mentioning.

The knock against the Cash version of Hurt for me is what it did to the original. I think I could have forgotten about it otherwise. But the fact that many actually seem to prefer his version over the much much better original really bothers me.

Back