Motorsport has few fans?

• Thread starter EddyHawk
  • 41 comments
Lance has a Platinum ranking which is for professional drivers. So you’re correct, the FIA consider him a professional driver.

Lance qualifies for platinum by two conditions - he won F3, and holds a Super License.

From Miriam-Webster

a : participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs

•a professional golfer

b : having a particular profession as a permanent career

•a professional soldier

c : engaged in by persons receiving financial return

• professional football

So he satisfies (a) despite it not being a sport often engaged in by amateurs. He satisfies (b) and he receives a return (in kind) through gaining a race seat.

He is a professional driver, all the drivers on the F1 grid are, that's that.

The way I read the question, he was asking, “in what series are there drivers who aren’t paying to be there?”

You should have answered the question instead of guessing if it meant something else - in your interpretation you seem to have let fly a particular bias ;)

I was wrong to label your beloved pay drivers as “Am”, I’m so unbelievably sorry.

Did I say I loved any drivers? I'd love to see you quote me on that one.

Here's Father Jack to lighten the mood :D

So he satisfies (a) despite it not being a sport often engaged in by amateurs. He satisfies (b) and he receives a return (in kind) through gaining a race seat.

He is a professional driver, all the drivers on the F1 grid are, that's that.

You should have answered the question instead of guessing if it meant something else - in your interpretation you seem to have let fly a particular bias ;)

Did I say I loved any drivers? I'd love to see you quote me on that one.

Here's Father Jack to lighten the mood :D

I see you’d like to keep going on about this professionals in F1 nonsense, instead of trying to answer Eddy’s question. Ok then.

How is motor racing not a sport often engaged in by amateurs? Most motorsports is amateurs.

I already said that if Williams are in fact paying him, then it technically satisfies a condition of being a professional. But if you have the ability to step back and look at big picture, where Williams are getting the money from, his father, it makes the situation laughable.....which is why I used air quotes around the word the first time I used it.

That’s that ....I’m glad you’ve settled that with yourself. Again, what does this have to do with answering eddy’s question?

You should have answered the question instead of” - who the hell do you think you are, some kind of forum police?? FFS. Him and I were having a back and forth convo, his posts were repeatedly a bit poorly written, so I had to interpret things as best I could. Furthermore, our whole back and forth was about pay drivers in racing, something he apparently wasn’t aware of to the level it actually is. So when he asked the question, I interpreted it in the context of the convo we were having, not because of some bias.

I also DID attempt to answer his question, something you still have yet to do.

You didn’t explicitly say you love pay drivers, but your need to defend their honour because I mislabelled them as Ams demonstrates a certain level of affection.

How is motor racing not a sport often engaged in by amateurs? Most motorsports is amateurs.

What does that have to do with Stroll being in F1?

You didn’t explicitly say you love pay drivers, but your need to defend their honour because I mislabelled them as Ams demonstrates a certain level of affection.

Yet more erroneous assumptions from you. You'd already mis-interpreted the question due to your own mis-definition of a term so I was offering the correct version of your erroneous answer.

What does that have to do with Stroll being in F1?
Holy 🤬 :lol:

You said, in regards to Stroll being a professional drive
He satisfies (a), dispite it not being a sport often engaged in by amateurs
Explain how motorsport is a sport not often engaged in by amateurs.

Yet more erroneous assumptions from you. You'd already mis-interpreted the question due to your own mis-definition of a term so I was offering the correct version of your erroneous answer.
So you’re here to police my use of certain terms, and not contribute anything to the conversation.

Eddy wanted to know what series has mostly pro drivers who compete to win money. You still haven’t offered any type of answer to that question.

I didn’t mis-interpret the question, Eddy hasn’t confirmed whether or not I did. You could simply ask him what he meant, but you’d rather make assumptions.

So again, for like the 10th time, do you have anything useful to add to the convo that was being had, or are you just here to nit pick at my use of two words?

Back on topic...

Motorsport has very few fans. Here in Canada, you do not find anyone interested in series like WEC WRC WTCR MotoGP. All those series mentioned have the majority of fans from Europe.

People here do know what NASCAR is, some know what IndyCar and F1 is. But finding anyone who has a serious interest in watching motorsports and following them is almost not possible. I'd say 1 in 250.

All the amateur stuff about rent a drivers is a bit much. Its like saying Chelsea Fc are Amateur cos they have a sugar Daddy and Man utd don't
I’ve said I was wrong to describe Stroll as an amateur.

However, outside of F1 and Indycar, the other bits about pay drivers I mentioned are true. Blancpain GT is half pay drivers who are amateurs - it’s the financial model the series is based on. Same thing for PWC, IMSA GTD, most of the ELMS grid and AsLMS grid are the same way:

Auto racing not as popular in the US as other countries. So many other sports. Baseball,NFL,NBA,NHL, College sports,etc

adb
Stroll is far from an amateur, he just won’t be a top driver, in F1 he gets shown up, because it’s the place where most of best guys end up.
In most team sports your not playing against the BOTB week in week out. Stroll is no different than most stars in soccer just he’s gotta play against Ronaldo every game
Most sport is amateur commercially however Wealthy backers pay the athletes motorsport ain’t that that much different to soccer or rugby

Ah, in germany, you can't even mention motorsport. Most people only know a few names and formula one, but that's all. Very rare to find people, which are interested in MSport over here.

A much bigger thing is Football (or Soccer, depends on where you live).

Hockenheim this year and 4 years ago, was pretty empty. Almost over half of all the seats were open in 2014.

Not sure how's it with tickets anywhere else, but I do think that 170€ for the whole weekend is a bit much.

Ah, in germany, you can't even mention motorsport. Most people only know a few names and formula one, but that's all. Very rare to find people, which are interested in MSport over here.

A much bigger thing is Football (or Soccer, depends on where you live).

Hockenheim this year and 4 years ago, was pretty empty. Almost over half of all the seats were open in 2014.

Not sure how's it with tickets anywhere else, but I do think that 170€ for the whole weekend is a bit much.
Hockenheim was pretty empty on the Friday this year, but during the race on Sunday, the grandstands look pretty packed.

Latest Posts

Back