Motorsports Trivia Thread!

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 7,179 comments
dec question.jpg

Name the Track
Driver
Car

Pau - Ferrari 625 - Alfonso Antonio Vicente Eduardo Angel Blas Francisco de Borja Cabeza de Vaca y Leighton.

Targa Florio - Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa - Innes Ireland

Ryk
Pau - Ferrari 625 - Alfonso Antonio Vicente Eduardo Angel Blas Francisco de Borja Cabeza de Vaca y Leighton.

Targa Florio - Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa - Innes Ireland
Yes, #1 is Alfonso de Portago, as we call him in motor racing.
But, #2 is not Innes Ireland - though I have been thinking of him lately - but rather this is Jean Behra.

Even so, having satisfied the basic criterion , you may proceed with a new trivia question. :D

Odd how you look at a helmet and just go "bang" it is that guy. Well not so much now...
Question...
ebb9696656e74b0bf6d31350b835c2cd.jpg

I'll let you drink in the picture...

name the three amigos and the car

Ryk
Odd how you look at a helmet and just go "bang" it is that guy. Well not so much now...
Question...
View attachment 612926

I'll let you drink in the picture...

name the three amigos and the car
Without Googling, I will guess Jo Bonnier, Innes Ireland and Richie Ginther (top to bottom) sometime in 1965.

Jimmy Clark in a Lotus Cosworth Type 49
Denny Hulme in a Brabham Repco BT24

Jackie Oliver in the F2 Lotus Cosworth Type 48

Jimmy Clark in the Lotus Cosworth Type 49

Nurburgring, German GP 1967
---

This Grand Prix ended a run of 50 championship Grand Prix (About 5 years or so) where what happened at the end of each race?

Ryk
Jackie Oliver in the F2 Lotus Cosworth Type 48
Jimmy Clark in the Lotus Cosworth Type 49
Nurburgring, German GP 1967
---

This Grand Prix ended a run of 50 championship Grand Prix (About 5 years or so) where what happened at the end of each race?
Considering those guys wore no seatbelts, it must have been quite the thrill to go weightless over those crests at Flugplatz and Pflanzgarten, hanging onto the wheel for dear life, then trying to control the damn thing when it came back down into the turn!:eek: It's easy to see why suspension issues were a common problem at the 'ring.

I counted back precisely 50 GP's. Starting at the British GP of 1962 through to the British GP of 1967, and sure enough, at the end of each race, at least one UK driver stood upon the podium.

I achieved numerous championship F1 points, three podiums, wore a yellow helmet, and retired after I crashed in a national race, accidentally killing a child in a restricted area. Who am I?

I was rich, good-looking and had this beautiful F1 car made for me. Unfortunately, I was killed in my first race. Who was I, and what car is this?

471.jpg

Ryk
Mario Alborghetti
Scuderia Volpini Maserati 4clt
The driver is correct, however the car is an Arzani-Volpini. It utilizes a reworked Maserati 4CLT engine. Luigi Piotti failed to qualify with it at the Italian GP the same year Alborghetti was killed at Pau. :ouch:

The knowledge in this thread is clearly incredible so I have a question. Is now the longest period of time that cars haven't become faster? Starting from 2004 with the fastest cars so far there has been 12 years with no improvement on the cars of 2004 in terms of speed.

The only other period I could think of that comes close is 1939-1954 as you had no real racing between 1939 and I guess around 1948 once the recovery of the war had begun. So there was about 4 years until the end of 1951 (before the F2 regs for 52 and 53) where a faster car could've been made but with money and resources so scarce were they any quicker than the German government funded cars of the 1930s?

The knowledge in this thread is clearly incredible so I have a question. Is now the longest period of time that cars haven't become faster? Starting from 2004 with the fastest cars so far there has been 12 years with no improvement on the cars of 2004 in terms of speed.

The only other period I could think of that comes close is 1939-1954 as you had no real racing between 1939 and I guess around 1948 once the recovery of the war had begun. So there was about 4 years until the end of 1951 (before the F2 regs for 52 and 53) where a faster car could've been made but with money and resources so scarce were they any quicker than the German government funded cars of the 1930s?
Great question!

We can compare qualifying, fastest laps and race averages from pre-war to the fifties on a handful of circuits: Monaco, Nurburgring, Monza, Bremgarten, Pau, Avus and maybe a few others. But we have to be careful to ensure the circuit configuration is the same. The cars raced from '46 to '51 were mainly voiturettes (F2) cars left over from before the war. However, by '51 the Alfas were very highly developed and had much more horsepower than prewar. Another factor is the slow and intermittent development of racing tires, shock absorbers and occasionally improved pavement which permitted higher cornering speeds.

I once made a study of all these lap times. IRRC, all commensurable prewar records were eclipsed by the mid-fifties. I'll see if I can find my notes!

Back