Motorsports Trivia Thread!

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 7,183 comments
I don't have a complete answer for this: how many blood relatives have raced in F1 for the same team?

So far I'm up to 5:

• Graham and Damon Hill both raced for Brabham
  • Wilson and Emerson Fittipaldi for Fittipaldi Automotive
  • Keke and Nico Rosberg for Williams
  • Michael and Ralf Schumacher for Jordan
  • Ayrton and Bruno Senna for Williams

I'm not counting in-laws, so Christian Fittipaldi and Max Papis for Footwork don't count, and the team has to be the same, so Jos Verstappen (Minardi, Stewart) and Max (Toro Rosso, Red Bull) don't either. As far as I can tell Motor Racing Developments (when Graham Hill drove for them) are considered to be Brabham.

Are there any others?

Edit to add: the Verstappens don't count twice, as Jos drove for Stewart which eventually became Red Bull.

Last edited:
Brothers Teo and Corrado Fabi for Brabham, even sharing the same car during the season in 1984.

And obviously Jack and David Brabham for Brabham, unless it's too obvious.

@Roo Jackie and Jimmy Stewart both drove for Ecurie Ecosse but only Jimmy drove for them in F1; he drove for them at the 1953 British Grand Prix and Jackie drove for Ecurie Ecosse before he signed with Ken Tyrrell in Formula Junior.

Close but not close enough.

Roo
I don't have a complete answer for this: how many blood relatives have raced in F1 for the same team?

So far I'm up to 5:

• Graham and Damon Hill both raced for Brabham
  • Wilson and Emerson Fittipaldi for Fittipaldi Automotive
  • Keke and Nico Rosberg for Williams
  • Michael and Ralf Schumacher for Jordan
  • Ayrton and Bruno Senna for Williams

I'm not counting in-laws, so Christian Fittipaldi and Max Papis for Footwork don't count, and the team has to be the same, so Jos Verstappen (Minardi) and Max (Toro Rosso) don't either. As far as I can tell Motor Racing Developments (when Graham Hill drove for them) are considered to be Brabham.

Are there any others?

Honourable mention:
Jim and Dick Rathmann both raced for two constructors (Watson, Kurtis Kraft) at the Indy 500 when it was on the Formula 1 calendar between 1950-60, however they raced for different entrants.

Last edited:
Everyone with the surname Hill who has raced in the F1 World Championship has won the title.

Gerhard Berger is the only Formula One driver who drove at every Australian Grand Prix at Adelaide.

As a comparison, here is how Fangio's still-extant record of % of races won stands up today:

Juan Manuel Fangio - 46% of races won (24 from 52)
Jim Clark - 34% (25 from 72)
Lewis Hamilton - 33% (84 from 250)
Michael Schumacher - 30% (91 from 308)
Alain Prost - 25% (51 from 202)
Ayrton Senna - 25% (41 from 162)

Michael Schumacher (2006) - 36% (91 from 250)

/Boring Statistics

These were the % of races won at the time in 2020. What's changed from three years of dominance from someone not on that list?
There is also an increase in decimal points accuracy.

Juan Manuel Fangio - 46.15% of races won (24 from 52)
Jim Clark - 34.72% (25 from 72)
Lewis Hamilton - 30.56% (103 from 337)
Max Verstappen - 30.52% (58 from 190)
Michael Schumacher - 29.54% (91 from 308)
Ayrton Senna - 25.30% (41 from 162)
Alain Prost - 25.24% (51 from 202)

Michael Schumacher (2006) - 36.40% (91 from 250)

Not a surprise given Verstappen's career prior to 2021 and Hamilton's lack of success after 2021. I think Schumacher's 2006 record is astonishing given his own career in some years before 2000.

Last edited:
These were the % of races won at the time in 2020. What's changed from three years of dominance from someone not on that list?
There is also an increase in decimal points accuracy.

Juan Manuel Fangio - 46.15% of races won (24 from 52)
Jim Clark - 34.72% (25 from 72)
Lewis Hamilton - 30.56% (103 from 337)
Max Verstappen - 30.52% (58 from 190)
Michael Schumacher - 29.54% (91 from 308)
Ayrton Senna - 25.30% (41 from 162)
Alain Prost - 25.24% (51 from 202)

Michael Schumacher (2006) - 36.40% (91 from 250)

Not a surprise given Verstappen's career prior to 2021 and Hamilton's lack of success after 2021. I think Schumacher's 2006 record is astonishing given his own career in some years before 2000.
Consider Fangio only had 8 races to compete in for his last championship win in 1957.

A third of what Verstappen enjoys in current championship terms.

Many other factors muddy the pure statistical comparisons too.

Prost, Senna & Schumacher's numbers are more comparable given the number of races in a calendar year was more consistent.

The reliability of F1 cars has improved in the span between 2000-2005, and it's quite rare that more than five cars retire from any one race. Teams tend to be a bit more dominant; wasn't uncommon for a leading team(s) to have a bad weekend or two just on setups or some other midfield team having an awesome time.

If we counted non-championship races, I think Jim Clark would enjoy an ever higher winning percentage. For Fangio, probably not so much; many non-champ races didn't feature the top teams before the 1960s. Many were effectively a show for whatever leading team was from that country, with some lucky part-timers that really needed the prize money, along with local amateurs plying their trade in between other events. Or they were a "practice run" event for a circuit before getting the chance to put on a real Grand Epreuve the following year.

Last edited:
Many other factors muddy the pure statistical comparisons too.
I wasn't posting them for any other reason than just being a statistic; I had seen my 2020 post going through some old stuff and just wondered what had changed since then.

Back