MR Corvette C8 - General Discussion

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,292 comments
Source Link

Well, you can only go so far with what you've got before it starts to become stale. This is one hell of a way to mix it up. Not sure how I feel about it just yet, though curious to see what they come up with.

And how was this not posted already? :confused:
Its only been three years since the last corvette, and it was nine years between the C6 and C7. Im doubting a 2018 release, which would be almost four years earlier than the last one, right?

It's like news of the second coming of Christ. It's been reported so many times that very few people will believe it... even if the news source is highly reliable.
While I don't distrust C/D as a source, I'm still not going to completely believe it until I see a production ready runner. These kinds of rumors have been going on for years. I just wonder why they'd drop the C7 after what seems like a relatively short run compared to other Corvettes. What I'd just like to see them do is offer both a front engine and a mid engine Corvette model range side by side. It's not that I'm against the idea of a mid engine Corvette. It's just that something doesn't seem quite right. Maybe I'm just looking too hard into this.

Its only been three years since the last corvette, and it was nine years between the C6 and C7. Im doubting a 2018 release, which would be almost four years earlier than the last one, right?
Yeah, that's something that seems... off to me.

Not to mention the $80k base price. That's instantly making it fictional.
Only $600 more than the base Z06. Either way, would be pretty amazing.

Would have 300 more horsepower and 340 more torque than the $75,600 Cayman S, although in current form it would be 200(?)kg heavier? Even the regular Corvette engine would give it a additional 100 horsepower.

The next cheapest mid-engined, rear wheel drive car would be the McLaren 540C, which starts at $165k, double the price.

I doubt it will happen though.

It hasn't been posted yet because the same rumor has been coming up since the late 60's and no once cares anymore.
I was mainly talking about this one article and since it seemed more credible than the rest...

I was mainly talking about this one article and since it seemed more credible than the rest...

Unfortunately though, its been reported so many times that even a reputable source isn't exactly making it that more believable. Its kinda like all those supercar startup companies, you only hear about them so much that it goes from "oh, that's interesting" to "I'll believe it when I see it".

They've had this idea since 2003 according to Bob Lutz last year & I'm pretty sure there were rumors a couple years ago it would debut during the C7 Generation.

Unfortunately though, its been reported so many times that even a reputable source isn't exactly making it that more believable. Its kinda like all those supercar startup companies, you only hear about them so much that it goes from "oh, that's interesting" to "I'll believe it when I see it".
Well at least we have a thread now for all the speculation to congregate in one area.

Maybe a special variant with a significant addition to 'Corvette' in the name--something more than a Z followed by two more letters and/or numbers--in addition to the standard Corvette, but that still seems too far-fetched for me. The company that killed off the Camaro only to bring it back--not to mention trying to make it look like an updated version of the original model--is not going to completely revolutionize their oldest nameplate.

I'd honestly expect the C8 to look more along the lines of this than be mid-engined--purely in the interest of the retro money-grab so popular with manufacturers.

Last edited:
Needs more Mitsuoka, methinks. Not quite ugly enough.

I totally get what you mean, but I like it. Maybe it's because the first generation Corvette will always be my favorite, but I think it's interesting how the owner blended both styles.

Dan
Oh god. That rear end. WHY?! :yuck:
Presumably because of this:

1953-chevrolet-corvette-c1-3.jpg

However, the CE Wagon is orders of magnitude worse:

wagon_41.jpg

That kind of 1950s style isn't exactly my thing, but I find the (normal) CE more appealing than the '00s Thunderbird and it's better-executed than a lot of retro rebodies.

I think the only way this gets done is if GM is trying to build on it's Corvette DP successes in IMSA. A mid-engined Corvette with a similar body style could be interesting, but I just don't see them walking away from that $50k base line that has otherwise been the norm since, well, forever. The Corvette should always remain an easily attainable aspirational car, and moving it $30k further up the chain won't be a good idea. Sure, the Camaro is more or less as capable as the standard Corvette, now. But, a Camaro and Corvette are radically different beasts.

I'd bet on GM doing a Porsche with this. Keep one car a mythic, untouchable relic, and the other a testbed for weird ideas.

I think the only way this gets done is if GM is trying to build on it's Corvette DP successes in IMSA. A mid-engined Corvette with a similar body style could be interesting, but I just don't see them walking away from that $50k base line that has otherwise been the norm since, well, forever. The Corvette should always remain an easily attainable aspirational car, and moving it $30k further up the chain won't be a good idea. Sure, the Camaro is more or less as capable as the standard Corvette, now. But, a Camaro and Corvette are radically different beasts.

I'd bet on GM doing a Porsche with this. Keep one car a mythic, untouchable relic, and the other a testbed for weird ideas.
A couple years ago I figured they could call the mid-engined Vette a Corvair... But a bit of baggage with that name.

So, what. The Viper had such a great run in the past 5 years offering Corvette performance with less practicality and 60% more money that GM wants to try the same with the Corvette now?

Or it could look like the Callaway Aerowagen, with a shorter front-end since there's no front engine.
AeroWagenwebpage.jpg

And in other might be related news: Would they call it the ZR1 ??

"General Motors has filed an application to register ZR1 as a trademark with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), GM Authority was first to discover.

The automaker’s May 16th, 2016 application is assigned serial number 87038207 and specifies that the mark will be used for “Motor land vehicles, namely, automobiles”.
General-Motors-ZR1-Trademark-Application-USPTO-720x334.jpg

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/05...-trademark-application-for-zr1/#ixzz49daYpfFp

Or this:
2017-Chevrolet-Corvette-artists-rendering-1022.jpg
http://www.caranddriver.com/photo-g...latest-on-the-mid-engine-chevrolet-corvette#1

Last edited:
The amount the Corvette could be improved by switching to a mid-engined configuration from a performance standpoint is almost irrelevant. The Corvette is a sales beast more than anything else. If it's not their most profitable car, I'd say its up there. As with Mazda and their MX-5, Porsche and their 911, and Ford with their Mustang, the formula is part of the success. Mess with the formula and it could spell disaster. I don't think the Corvette would have nearly the same level of universal appeal if it was mid engined. Can anyone think of a single MR car that sells (or has sold) anything like as well as the Corvette? The Boxster is pretty good selling car, but it sells around 5x less annually in the US. For this reason, I sincerely doubt it will ever become a mid engine car.

And I still maintain that 'mule' spotted at the proving grounds was not a mid engine car, but a developmental test-bed for the ZF Auto gearbox used in the Z06, and the El-Caminoesque rear was simply a means of providing easy unobstructed access to the 'box.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind too much if the Corvette went mid-engined. If you looked up some Corvette concept cars, you'll find a fair few of them to be mid-engined. GM had obviously wanted to build a production MR Vette for years.

Back