Multi Class Racing in GTS

United States
Space Coast
Chevy_Heavy
With the 24hrs of Daytona going on this weekend, it got me thinking how cool would it be to have two or three different classes of cars racing together in GTS. With them adding GR1 to the daily races I think it could eventually become reality. They could set a time limit of say a half hour or hour and let it play out. I see no reason we couldn't have say GR1 and Gr3 in the same race. It would certainly be more interesting when the GR1 start lapping cars. A lot of races now become kinda boring when cars get strung out. This would add another element could really bring some excitement to the game.

So what do you think? Is this even possible? I mean this is the way most real sportscar series are contested so why not in GTS. The game wants to mimic FIA so this would seem a natural evolution for the game. Maybe they already have plans for this who knows. Get everyone settled into the game first and gradually implement something like this. I really hope Kaz has this is in his future plans.

GR1 drivers will have the attitude that the lower class cars should move off of the racing line and get out of their way because they are faster. This is not how it works in the real world.

Bad Idea in my opinion, enough carnage with cars of the same class and roughly same speed with being punted from behind, this would be worse by far in my opinion.

Concept is great, real in game results likely not so great.

Yeah I know what you mean about the carnage and patience would be needed. And I don't think where the game is now it would be a good idea. But what they are doing with Race C is a step in the right direction. Maybe after they get the finish the FIA thing they could add a Race D. Change it weekly so you can try different cars in both classes. I guess I'm just dreaming because I'm watching Daytona 24h. :D

I actually took part in multiclass endurance races in GTS : a Super GT event (Gr.2/Gr.3, ran Gr.3), and a Super Taikyu style 2 hour race (Gr.3/Gr.4, ran Gr.3 again). Both events went really well and were fun to race. For both races, the faster class was deemed responsible to make a safe move, and the slower class was asked to not change lines abruptly and generally just keep driving the racing line. Just brief the drivers and everything will be allright.

In sports mode though, there's no point in doing that.

Ghosting lapped cars is already a thing. Just have the faster cars start ahead of the slower ones. No matter the Qualy times.

To add, if there is T1 mayhem, it runs like any other race. The faster cars have to make there way around the slower cars.

I welcome multiclass racing. Lapped cars should be ghosted. Sometimes you got to compromise on realism.

Last edited:
But then you get rid of the main appeal of multi-class racing.

All that would happen is 2 separate races of 8-10 drivers each, as opposed to 1 race of 16-20 drivers.

I dont disagree with you here to be honest. Its true it does take away its appeal.

Hence why im open to a compromise. As I stated above a lot people want multiclass racing but the others oppose it due to the trainwreck it will be.

Hence why ghosting is the best option but at the same time it does take away its appeal.

I wish we can get everybody to be responsible when it comes to lapped cars but also there will be mistakes happening.

Really hard to choose as multiclass racing is awesome but implementing it on racing games will also not work due to it being a trainwreck because of users abusing it or making mistakes that can ruin a persons race.

Here's some multi class racing, it's great in GT Sport! Although I'd like to see a grid increase in future GT games and with more official uses similar to Project Cars 2 where it logs leaders of each class! 3 classes in this particular one spread the field a bit thin but there's lots of leagues and competitions looking at multi class racing in GT Sport as it is fun!

Here's some multi class racing, it's great in GT Sport! Although I'd like to see a grid increase in future GT games and with more official uses similar to Project Cars 2 where it logs leaders of each class! 3 classes in this particular one spread the field a bit thin but there's lots of leagues and competitions looking at multi class racing in GT Sport as it is fun!

How did you do replays for it? Looks almost like GT finals stream

Leagues and Custom races would do fine.. it's the Sport Mode that people need to have that race craft.
A shame the driving school doesn't have a follow the car ahead, like in GT4&5? Should include try to pass without divebombing. The etiquette videos should pop up once in a while as refreshers.

How did you do replays for it? Looks almost like GT finals stream

All the features are already in the game, if you search on here someone has a key bind list for all the replay features :), can't remember them off the top of my head.

Multiclass done right will be addictive. Thats why I love watching IMSA and WEC.

IMHO, faster class should find a way to pass slower class

If on straight, slower class should give priority to faster class.

I wouldn't say that ghosting lapped cars in a multi-class race causes the idea to lose its appeal. I'd say the potentially even broader appeal of multi-class racing is that you can decide multiple winners in a single race. So hypothetically, you can have two different championships, each for a different class, but when they dovetail in a multi-class race, then you remove the need to have two separate races that'd otherwise have the same parameters other than the featured class.

An example being if there was a Gr.1 championship and a Gr.3 championship, they could occasionally converge at what'd be an equivalent to Le Mans or Daytona. Or maybe have the entire championship be like that, and display the class winners at the end.

Back