Multi-Screen Setup finally available in GT5

• Thread starter amar212
  • 264 comments
Yes on the top gear track, When I was donuting around like an Idiot and making myself sick!! The cones on the server screen were knocked over and flat, then when they come into view on the slave screen as you spin around they are upright !!

very disturbing :)

like weebles if you remember them.. they wobble but they don't fall down!! :)

Well, just ordered two 160GB PS3's and two 24" iiyama monitors. Should be here withing three days. Just need to look for a switch now. Made £400 from the games, console and phone I sold so effectively got the PS3's for nothing.

Can you guys post the numbers you guys are around for each setting?? I know you guys are still tweaking them but around what at this point...?

Can you guys post the numbers you guys are around for each setting?? I know you guys are still tweaking them but around what at this point...?

Hey, hurry on and get it sorted as wanna see pics from you and get your thoughts as well mate. 👍

Other users, will you PLEASE confirm if the 3xScreen height is accurate for you.
If this is the case it will be a good way for people like Amar wanting larger screens to determine what space may be required.

Stega - These from memory:
Monitors at physical angle of approx 30 degrees.
Mine are overlapping the centre screen and approx 55" edge to edge.
Put the same IP Address as Server into the two Client screens.
Curvature at 60 degrees (or double your physical angle)
Border 3% on left/right and 1% on centre (as overlapped)
FOV (whatever you fancy)

Here is what the ingame manual states:
3092ccl.jpg

PzR = Nice Work
gsLooney, maybe you are just looney, lol. That is odd though

Been editing photos and setup screen images for the review today guys.
Have over 60 already done.

Want to illustrate what happens to the screen alignment when you change your height.
This is without adjusting settings but just moving your physical position.

Other guys can you confirm the below please:

It starts to do this:
2czqcfm.jpg

Then disjoints more as you go more out of the correct "Sweetspot" for the set FOV.
2m7yryv.jpg

A better illustration will go in the review.
Also looking to do some videos from the iphone but find it hard with high contrast effecting the quality.

Last edited:
The flatter your displays are the less this effect manifests itself.

So there's probably a sweet spot that will work for you with regard to screen angle placement.

My thoughts on my own screen layout was to replicate the placement of the first three screens in the 5 screen config (figure A) rather than the 3 screen display (figure B) .. in this way the distortion is minimised in your primary views.

which makes me wonder, what if you have three screens but tell it you have 5? what would that do with regards to the view point?:crazy:

I'll try it out later...

So many variables what we need is a mathematician ..:indiff:

Mother of all that is holy. I must have this. I have always wanted this kind of setup and when I move into my new apartment in 3 weeks, 3 LED's and 1 more PS3 just bumped down a kitchen table on the list. Thanks guys for all the info on this too, should make it a breeze by the time I get set up.

Hi again...

I tried doing that last week, setting the config as a 5 screen but then starting the screens as 2/3/4 instead of 1/2/3

Didnt change anything as really the curvature for 3 or a 5 screen setup is the same for the middle 3 screens. You cant use 1/3/5 as that wont line up because 1/5 are 180 degrees.

I think the original info is trying to give a scientific approach to a humans FOV and replicating that in the game with the data of the vertical FOV cockpits in the game normally use.

I prefer a trial and error approach and man Ive done over 30 hours testing various things now. The thing is I doubt every cockpit in the game is going to be fuly accurate in scale. As humans we all have slightly different FOV and seating positions within a real car. Then their is the factor that the seating position from a Rally/Nascar/Single seater to Standard/Typical Road Car would all feel very different in real life. So its not a pure scientific or mathematical fix for all cockpits with one setting being perfect for realisim or indeed accuracy to the real counterparts.

I have indeed tested the FOV to much closer ranges like you have been mentioning and yes their are benefits to be had. For the review I needed to cover the wider and narrower FOV options but can see what you guys were meaning and with a closer FOV other cars can look more impressive in their scale increasing the immersion to an extent.

So got a good understanding now of how this changes factors in the game. Also have worked out to an approx percentage how the "Multiscreen Setup FOV" options ranging from "50-100" compare to using the "STD/NAR/NAR2" within the "ingame Cockpit" options.

Almost finished all my testing, report being wrote up today/tonight. :)

Some more images lads, enjoy...
Review will include 100 more

30rrvj4.jpg

Last edited:
Mr Latte,
Re: your comments about the 'sweet spot' and the side displays going out of alignment as the viewer moves up and down, I believe you could minimize this by reversing the overlap of your displays. It appears that you have the bezels of the side displays in front of the center display. If the side display bezels are behind the center displays bezel, the actual edges of both displays will be closer to, if not the same distance from the viewer. That should greatly minimize that requirement for a 'sweet spot'. The 'sweet spot' will likely still be needed to keep lines parallel and straight though.
Just a thought.
Looking forward to the review.
Thanks,
David

Latte, you should really use Imgur (www.imgur.com) as an upload tool, you will have great and easy time to upload all thumbnails and such and viewing will be more convenient 👍

David, no real luck as the depth of the back of the centre monitor becomes an issue. Placing the angled monitors in front doesn't require the full depth only the outer frame depth of those screens. Different monitors may vary though and for anyone it's deffo worth trying all ways.

Are any of you that have created triple screen setups using the Fanatec Turbo S wheel?

I ask because I bought a PS3 and GT5 last November and played it for a few weeks then stopped as it was just so disappointing that it didn't have multiscreen. So I decided to wait and see if PD would ever release a patch to allow for multiscreen which they finally did (I insta poohed when I read the patch notes that included multiscreen I was so excited).

Anyways, when I used to play it on a single screen with my Fanatec PWTS I never had any problems.

Now since I have created a multiscreen setup for GT5 (already had Forza 3 and PC multiscreen) I have encountered a problem with losing steering and pedal input for a few seconds in some races. This seems to occur only in Bonus and Seasonal races and not in A-Spec races. I will be driving along and suddenly I can't steer or use pedal inputs for a few seconds at random times and of course I wreck.

I have two of the Fanatec PWTS wheels and they both do the same thing. They never did this on my PC after many hours of racing and neither in Forza 3 that I can recall. I use the USB cable input for the wheel and not the dongle. I have tried a new USB cable & both USB ports on the PS3 and the problem still persists so I don't think the problem is with the wheel.

I am thinking that the problem is either related to the multiscreen or it has something to do with the Skid Recovery Force being either forced on or off in the Seasonal or Bonus races where you can't change it.

Has anyone that has the Fanatec PWTS or GT2 wheel and multiscreen ever encountered this problem?

Try it again with one screen perhsos, if it doesn't happen then if may be an issue with your wheel or new update related. I've been playing with a pad just until the T500 arrives. My PWTS Clubsports have a faulty sensor.

Finished B-Spec awaiting new wheel and wanted to enjoy the game with it so halted my A-Spec driving since December.

I'm using a Fanatec PWTS with my Multiscreen setup and I have not experienced any noteceable wheel / pedal dropouts and I have played for hours at a time.

I will note that when racing online (single screen) a few times when there were several cars onsreen and only at a certain section of trak on the Nurbrgring I have had my brake pedal input not take. (probably lag induced phenomenon)

If you aren't already - try using a seperate 5 port switch for the PS3's to isolate the network traffic as I had all kinds of lag / frame rate hiccups when using wireless.

If you aren't already - try using a seperate 5 port switch for the PS3's to isolate the network traffic as I had all kinds of lag / frame rate hiccups when using wireless.

Yeah I am already using a 8 port switch that only has the Xbox's and PS3's connected to it so they are isolated from my network.

Try it again with one screen perhsos, if it doesn't happen then if may be an issue with your wheel or new update related. I've been playing with a pad just until the T500 arrives. My PWTS Clubsports have a faulty sensor.

I have been trying with just a single screen and have had no controller dropout yet so it is looking like it is related to multiscreen. Nothing I can do about that, that I know of. Already using a 1000mb 8 port switch with CAT6 cables to network them.

Too bad you won't be able to use those CSP's with the T500.

I have been trying with just a single screen and have had no controller dropout yet so it is looking like it is related to multiscreen. Nothing I can do about that, that I know of. Already using a 1000mb 8 port switch with CAT6 cables to network them.

Maybe a Fanatec issue but as more people get triple setups you will know if it's linked to your setup or indeed a odd but occurring issue.

As for the T500 pedals I already have some parts and ideas to modify mine. I will have proper Sparco pedal plates, a functioning brake light and a Buttkicker operated via brake pedal position with a cunning bit of modding. :)

Last edited:
As for the T500 pedals I already have some parts and ideas to modify mine. I will have proper Sparco pedal plates, a functioning brake light and a Buttkicker operated via brake pedal position with a cunning bit of modding. :)

I would be looking in to how to wire the CSP's in to the T500.

The T500 sounds nice, but gawd that thing is big. I would have to redesign my whole cockpit just to fit it in!

I've had fanatec wierdness in both triple and single screen mode, and on the Xbox as well as the PS3.. so I don't think it's related to the platform I think it's fanatec..

Two things I've seen..

This tends to happen if I leave the wheel on for long periods of time but with no use (it's just sitting there) it appears that the down pov selector is jammed on..menu's just keep heading south!

Or the throttle doesn't work!!

last night I had this in GT5, I parked and applied the handbrake and left the car for a while (multiscreen pictures don't you know) when I return and jump into the rig and floor the throttle, the throttle goes all the way to the top in game throttle position sensor but we don't move.. it's as if the fanatecs decided I'm holding the clutch in .. the second I powered the wheel off and power cycled I'm back to normality.. of course I have the CSP pedals so it could be a pedal issue, I'll video it next time.

note that this has happened a few times but never during a race.. only after I've left the wheel sitting powered on.

Apologies to those Im letting down and keeping waiting.

Ive started now putting all the edited images ready for uploading and have arranged what the review will contain in detail.

My PC is faulty and using a small notebook/daughters to edit and upload images. However the screen on this little thing is useless so thats not helping editing images Ive spent hours taking.

Heah Im fussy but the report should be worth it and this topic deserves it.
So will use the PC in work on Wednesday evening to get it all together in a new thread.

Last edited:
5 ps'3, 5 big-screen tv's and a B-Spec mode.. there goes the planet

"Gran Turismo 5 - The Power Consumption Edition"

Still, it would be awesome to play with such a setup but only very few people will be able to afford it or have room for it. I hope this isn't another gimmick that they gave priority over other stuff, for instance the Spa circuit or more premium cars..

Ha ha, tell me about it! Not to mention the heat that would be generated by 5 PS3's. They would simply melt in my lounge. Can get to 31 degrees celcius with nothing running.

I can see this being most useful for the in car camera mode, total realism and emersion!

sony should sell mutili monitor setups just for ps3
all 40-46 inches
so it's not too expensive but it's still incredible... i dont like it with small screens. ive got 55 inch and playing on it is great...

I Don't have to make them shallow, I choose it that way.. When I angle them in I find the screens are too close for my ageing eyes :) I started out with the screens at 30, have gone to about 40 degrees.. I settled on this as it fills my vision. When I load up the Audi I drive in it.. It's uncanny how my head will find the rear view mirror!!

LOL well I wouldn't want to be the cause of you losing what sight you have left. As long as you're satisfied then that's the first and last priority of the setup.

sony should sell mutili monitor setups just for ps3
all 40-46 inches
so it's not too expensive but it's still incredible... i dont like it with small screens. ive got 55 inch and playing on it is great...

That's something I want to cover, however what makes you assume 3x24" screens seems small when you sit so close to them? A single screen now feels terrible to play the game with even compared to a projector.

How do you other guys feel so far?

I've had fanatec wierdness in both triple and single screen mode, and on the Xbox as well as the PS3.. so I don't think it's related to the platform I think it's fanatec..

Two things I've seen..

This tends to happen if I leave the wheel on for long periods of time but with no use (it's just sitting there) it appears that the down pov selector is jammed on..menu's just keep heading south!

Or the throttle doesn't work!!

last night I had this in GT5, I parked and applied the handbrake and left the car for a while (multiscreen pictures don't you know) when I return and jump into the rig and floor the throttle, the throttle goes all the way to the top in game throttle position sensor but we don't move.. it's as if the fanatecs decided I'm holding the clutch in .. the second I powered the wheel off and power cycled I'm back to normality.. of course I have the CSP pedals so it could be a pedal issue, I'll video it next time.

note that this has happened a few times but never during a race.. only after I've left the wheel sitting powered on.

Using a Fanatec wheel with triple screens for GT5 and Forza 3 no problems whatsoever.

So will use the PC in work on Wednesday evening to get it all together in a new thread.

Just make sure you take all the info from the official page as the intro (as I used it in this thread), and name your thread as "Official".

I have already edited this thread title so that your thread with all the info and everything become a master-thread.

Looking forward to it 👍

Well I'm now in posession of everything I need to get my setup working. Counting down the hours until 5pm so I can get home from work! Although being at work has enabled me to update my two new PS3's and GT5 on both machines.

Bit of a school boy error to report however, my exsiting BENQ 24" monitor has an aspect ratio of 16:10 as it's native resolution is 1920 x 1200. So I'm pretty sure the display areas are not going to be the same even when running at 1080p. Think I'll have to invest in another iiyama monitor :grumpy:

PzR, enjoy mate.
You might be okay with the border managment but yes three displays the same are the way to go. What iiyama did you get?

Amar, would a link to the official info not be okay? I had planned to include this. My own thread is more of a "Personal / Review & Guide" than Official info thread.

Why the importance of labelling it "Official" ?

There is a way to setup multi screen without borders, it would require 3 projectors and screens with a little bit of overlap.

Back