#MUST READ# I am retiring...

MisterWeary

Staff Emeritus
GTP_MisterWeary
Hi guys,

I'll skip straight to the point and then explain. Basically I wish to step down from the WRS Administrators job. Ideally I would like it to be as soon as possible but, like a resignation in real life, I think a couple of weeks warning is the right thing to do so I will perform the following duties:
  • Create Results for Week 90
  • Create Race for Week 91
  • Create Results for Week 91
  • Create Race for Week 92
  • Create Results for Week 92
My decision to step down has nothing to do with not enjoying the job or any of the junk that has gone on, basically I've met someone and just don't have the time any more to give the comp the attention it deserves.

I sort of feel like I'm letting GTP down but I also know I would be doing the comp a disservice to continue running it with a tenth of the fervor I had originally committed.

The big question is, who will take over? In my opinion there are many folk who could do it but I don't know how many would do it. I would be willing to help the lucky member out until they got it all sorted out but in my opinion any of the following three members would do an awesome job:
  1. KLR142 - Kyle
  2. shockwaveracing - Andy
  3. Casio - Brad
This thread ought to be used to come up with a solution as a group. Feel free to post your thoughts 👍

too bad colby but it is understandable that personal life goes before the virtual one (tho not to some). you better have met someone good :) and that you will not leave us as a racer.

maybe it is now time to 'contract' a couple or trio of wrs stewards to ensure that the weekly churns can always be continued and that the pain of one steward leaving or having to cut down wrs admin time will be felt less.
i'd be happy to accomodate that 'wrs committee' but due to family and work matters it would not be good to have me as one of those stewards (as much as i would want it).
now is the time for the wrs community to show its strenght as a solid group of racing enthusiasts so let's hear you guys!

oh yeah and off course both kyle, andrew and brad would have my full support.

anyway colby thanks a bunch so far for your efforts! 👍 👍 👍
tick for you if i can give it

You mean you've found a girl (I assume it's a girl, unless you're hiding something from me...), and you haven't told her that you're a big nerd who runs a Online competition for people want to play offline games online, and 100,000 of these people do nothing but chat about 1 particular video game all day?! Once you tell her that, she'll should know where your priorities lie!

But in all serioulsness, I hate to see you go, you've have an awesome job in your short rein. And totally deserve all the superlatives given out to you 👍.

I honored to be named on your short-list, and would be more then willing to do it. However, I do think either of the others would probably do a better job because of the age and maturity. (Probably less drunken posts too, like now for instance :lol:)

The idea of two moderators is probably a good one, because it shares a probably quite considerable work load. Even if one was like a 'Combo/Results making' person, and the other was a 'Keep the place undercontrol' making person. Or do it alternating weeks like the Kent/CFM arrangement.

In any case, again, it's sad to see you go Colby. And don't forget to show her your new rubber. :sly:

As a new WRS entrant, it will be sad to see you go.

May you live long and prosper.

1. - Congrats Colby (the girl).
2. - Thanks Colby. You have done great job.
3. - I would vote for Kyle (as he seems to be the most active one from your picks)
4. - Creating "WRS admin" account and give 2-3 people access might be the way to go - it would make it easy for submissions.
5. - I'm willing to help with the workload.

Thanks for the hard work Colby 👍 , all be it short lived, you put up with some tuff stuff off the bat and kept us hooligans in order 👍

Well, what everyone else has said really, especially Brad's bit. :sly:

Shame you're off so soon Colby but at least IMO you've done the right thing and decided to hand over the stewardship right away instead of muddling through and giving us a half arsed version.

I'm in no position to run the WRS as either a main or co steward, time and computing skills wouldn't allow it, so good luck to whoever takes over this unenviable task.

Cheers Colby,

Darren.

@Brad...Maybe it was getting the new rubber that helped him bag a girl? (they normally prefer fresh rubber)

*Sorry...Retrieving mind from gutter now*

It's sad to see you quit the steward's job after three months, and I hope you'll still run with us like you used to... I agree with Darren, better quit right away than wait until you totally hate it.

I hate reaching threads after everyone said everything that could be said... But the idea of a helping-steward could really help increase the 'lifespan' of the steward's patience and endurance.
I will support any steward selected next, doesnt' matter who. But didn't Andrew just post that he stopped WRS'ing last week? I hope the next steward does the job as well as you did...

Oh, and good luck with that someone!

Although I wasn't active in the WRS for very long, I wish you the best. Good luck and Godspeed. 👍 👍

Very sorry to see you go Colby, I must admit a certain someone has kept me from doing any session for more than 3-4/week in the last oh I dunno 8-9 months, lol. Totally understand and hope for the best!

Jerome

Congrats to you Colby on finding someone and its been great with you here as steward. You have done a good job and you must come and race with us from time to time at least :) :mischievous: 👍
I guess im lucky because my lady works till late in the evening most nights, so i can play while I wait for her to finish

You where here for such a short time, but you did a good job so it's ok:tup:.
And when real life come into play there really is only one thing to chose, and
that is real life. So good for you and I hope you have a happy life that special someone:cheers:.
And I can help too because I get on ever nite and I don't have anything to do in real life right
now so I have alot of time to burn. So if there is any way I can help you just have to ask:).

Well first let me say that you have stumbled uppon perhaps the best reason of all to give up the hobby you love, and i congratulate you. I've never actualy raced under you MisterWeary, seeing as how my first week back to the WRS was week 89 and the only GT4 WRS I competed in before that was wayyyy back in week 56. however i will do my best to enjoy the next two weeks combos to the fullest, in your honor.

i hate being the first one to say this but i hope he didnt forget about the week 89 results. >_<

I had a feeling something was going on... I would do the same thing, Colby. I saw a sweet one on the subway platform the other day :sly:

I hope someone like James (AngelCreator) takes over. He seems to be the one with the time and energy.

Thanks for the kind words gang, I will continue racing, perhaps every week even, I just cannot give my whole Tuesday evening and another 20 or so hours each week any more.

I think all the suggestions so far are pretty neat, a joint account or administrator role would work quite well, splitting up components would be a good idea, it really does take up a bit of time though so it'll need much more commitment than I was able to demonstrate.

I have created a couple of template documents and have altered a very very handy spreadsheet that I originally got from Cyril that makes life a LOT easier so whoever turns out to be the next admin will have plenty of handy tools to help them out 👍

I still have no idea how or who decides what's going to happen though???

That's so nice:D. The way my brother talked, I thought some bad happened.
Anyway. It was nice having you, you did a good job.
Woundn't Falt-out be able to tell you how to pick someone?
I don't know anything about that, so I'm no help really. Laters. And good luck MisterWeary:D.

Sammy:).

Thank you for all your commitment in the past.

I think a couple of weeks warning is the right thing to do so I will perform the following duties:
Create Results for Week 90
Create Race for Week 91
Create Results for Week 91
Create Race for Week 92
Create Results for Week 92

Could you add "Results for Week 89" to that list as well?

I was there at the beginning, and had a small part in the creation of the WRS. I've always carried a bit of pride in watching the continual races each week come together and carry out.

MisterWeary, in the short time you've served, you've handled it very well. I applaud and congratulate you for your service.

Now for the next step.

As each Steward has approached his retirement, he narrowed his choices down to a select few, and then appraoched each one to get their thoughts and opinions. He then offered the selection up to the staff, if only as a gesture of appropriateness. The new steward was phased in, and the previous one was phased out after a few weeks.

In this case, with not one, but three equal partners that look capable, it may be a better solution to have a group of stewards as the duties are growing to push a breaching point for one person.

A scenario I can present, is We'd create a seperate forum, for the group of stewards to set-up races, plan, and build the challenge. Compile and post the results. If one person is overwhelmed in the real world, the others can take the reins for a bit, easily. Thus posting the races become easily as they can be built weeks in advance and simply have the thread moved to the public section whence it is posted.

Thoughts?

this might be a strange suggestion but i'll make it anyway. call me a traitor but you could also see it as realistic. also consider that i am a huge fan of wrs 👍 👍 👍 in its current form (check out my consistency).

david/kart38's gt playground site version 2.0 is up and running in full glory since a while now. running a race series is done in a jitty with automated submissions and all :bowdown:

maybe some guys from gtp should talk to david if some form of cooperation between both forums (fora? :)) would be thinkable.

please remember that this suggestion is only done in the interest of the continuity of the wonderful weekly wrs challenge that we all participate in and in which we all find so much pleasure and fun.

otherwise, if the wrs committee would be implemented i'd say appoint one steward in each important timezone so that one would be online most of the time in both usa, europe and australia. brad (aus) and james (usa) are already suggested, and maybe michael or metar would cover the euro zone.

just the $0.02 from a huge wrs addict.

I think that what Der Alta say's sounds good. Because if one of the people can't
work on the WRS because there is something in the real world that needs to be done
one of the other people can easily take his place for a bit. It may be hard to setup
at first, but in the end it might be easier to keep the WRS running.

I think Der Alta's plan is the most simple way of keeping the WRS running active, without the stewards "dying"... With Steven's plan of three stewards of different timezones, there will always be one steward awake.
With a steward-subforum, compiling the results will be as simple as submitting them - Each steward, when he receives a submission, writes in in that thread. At the end, they (trying not to hint at anyone :sly:) let that results-spreadsheet program loose on 'em, and refresh the thread, adding the usual template of Rules and Regulations, and finished. Perhaps the deadline will be moved then, to a time when the steward who volunteers to do the finish on the results will post them... And again, if a steward can't work on it that week, all he has to do it forward the submissions he received to the others.
Also, with two or three stewards, they could take turns at posting "their style of combos", so each group of drivers will be satisfied ('GT Mode'ers, Sticky-cars, and low-grip cars)...

We will either need just one account for submitting or maybe something like "blind thread" (you could post in it but can't see other posts).
Maybe the PM system allows forwarding - that would be easy. One account forwarded to three mailboxes.

Well, Colbs, you've done a great job in the time you've had it, and I can totally understand meeting someone and taking the time to spend time with them, and real life in general. And because I understand that, I know that there's no way I could manage the whole of the WRS, thanks a bunch for the recommendation though!

I'm pretty sure Andy recently said he'd be retiring for the most part in the past week or two as well actually, so he's out as well. And then Brad... :sly:
You mean you've found a girl (I assume it's a girl, unless you're hiding something from me...), and you haven't told her that you're a big nerd who runs a Online competition for people want to play offline games online, and 100,000 of these people do nothing but chat about 1 particular video game all day?! Once you tell her that, she'll should know where your priorities lie!
Actually, I just did that last night, and the girl was giving me quite the hard time about it... Oh well, no serious relationship there! Some of my other friends have taken it a bit better, lol.
@Brad...Maybe it was getting the new rubber that helped him bag a girl? (they normally prefer fresh rubber)

*Sorry...Retrieving mind from gutter now*
You're dirty. :sly: Lol.
I hope someone like James (AngelCreator) takes over. He seems to be the one with the time and energy.
I agree, actually... But I don't think it's come down to this just yet.
KLR142, please.
Why thanks man! But alas, I haven't the time... :indiff: 👍
Thoughts?
👍👍👍 Sounds like a great idea to me if Ron and Jerry(aren't those the cartoon mice? :P) can't take it over. Having the seperate forum for the admins of the WRS would be workable, methinks.
this might be a strange suggestion but i'll make it anyway. call me a traitor but you could also see it as realistic. also consider that i am a huge fan of wrs 👍 👍 👍 in its current form (check out my consistency).

david/kart38's gt playground site version 2.0 is up and running in full glory since a while now. running a race series is done in a jitty with automated submissions and all :bowdown:

maybe some guys from gtp should talk to david if some form of cooperation between both forums (fora? :)) would be thinkable.

please remember that this suggestion is only done in the interest of the continuity of the wonderful weekly wrs challenge that we all participate in and in which we all find so much pleasure and fun.

otherwise, if the wrs committee would be implemented i'd say appoint one steward in each important timezone so that one would be online most of the time in both usa, europe and australia. brad (aus) and james (usa) are already suggested, and maybe michael or metar would cover the euro zone.

just the $0.02 from a huge wrs addict.
An entertaining possibility...

👍👍👍 Sounds like a great idea to me if Ron and Jerry(aren't those the cartoon mice? :P) can't take it over. Having the seperate forum for the admins of the WRS would be workable, methinks.

Those will be Ben and Jerry, and I suspect Ben won't work along with Jerry well...
Sounds like a good solution (all depending on Jerry's and Colby's agreement), especially since they're both trusted members (with opinions), and quick drivers ever since the days of the WRS when I was still learning how to read... And I don't know about Jerry, but Ron has excellent combos up his sleeve.

Latest Posts

Back