MutliClass Racing

• Thread starter slick1ru2
  • 10 comments
Lack of classes, IMHO is what ruins the GT5 version of the 24 Hours of Le Mans the most for me. I would like to be able to use a GT1 or GT2 (Am & Pro now, I know) and still win the class rather than the overall race. It would also help if the car count was bumped up a little so there's more than just 4 cars in your class.

Yes, multiclass racing is a must, i think in gt6 if u choose a gt car lets say a gtecar u race to win that class even though u many finish 23rd overall and thus u still get the full money based on winning the class. We also need bigger grids 16cars is too little we need to have apsec races within the range of 40-65 cars. Online maybe beef it up to 24 players

On and offline. Its the most realistic racing for the big series. I like Forza using AI to fill out the field online.

The idea is nice, but for multiclass racing you need a bigger starting grid not just a max of 16 cars/drivers, wether online or offline, more like 16 cars/drivers per class at least. Even the so named 24 cars is too small IMO. For 1 class racing 16 to 24 is ok, but as soon as you add 1 or 2 classes you need at least 30 to 40 drivers.
On a PS3 system, well not possible, I think the hardware couldn`t take it. just remember how old the PS3 system is. but it would be a good addition to GT7 on PS4, also this could be something, if PD does it right were they could make a lot of benefit with. But also you would need a racing series, Like GT500 and GT300 and a bigger varity of cars on the grids, not just unicolor cars. Cause it is also important, specially in league racing, to know who is coming up from behind or who you are cahsing in front. And I do not want to read a nickname I want to concentrate on the car and not on reading. Or do you think nowadays race drivers have a HUD in their helmet visor to show their opponents names.........LOL

The problem with multiclass racing on a sim is that in real life if for instance as a driver you got signed to the Caterham F1 team, then you would do everything in your power to get the most out of the car possible as its your only shot,

Where as online in a game you would pick the mercades as you dont have to pick the slower car, sure you can balance the cars on a grid with power limiters etc. but you are changing power curves and gearings out of any context to its real life counterpart.

After years of balancing multi class races on GT for league racing, we ended up doing versus races, where you balance two cars and have two races, half the field in one car and half in the other car, then swap cars for race 2.

Ideally a livery editor solves the problem better imho.

The idea is nice, but for multiclass racing you need a bigger starting grid not just a max of 16 cars/drivers, wether online or offline, more like 16 cars/drivers per class at least. Even the so named 24 cars is too small IMO.
While I'd love to see a field of 48 cars in GT7, I think we'll be very lucky to see 32. Kaz and the team will probably be pushing everything so hard on PS4 that I suspect 24 cars on track will be more likely. And that still allows 12 cars per class in a dual class race, 8 in a triple class, etc, which is still respectable. I agree with the OP that I'd prefer bots to fill out the field co-op style if a race fails to garner a full 24 player field.

I did say something about enjoying myself... later. :D

The problem with multiclass racing on a sim is that in real life if for instance as a driver you got signed to the Caterham F1 team, then you would do everything in your power to get the most out of the car possible as its your only shot,

Where as online in a game you would pick the mercades as you dont have to pick the slower car, sure you can balance the cars on a grid with power limiters etc. but you are changing power curves and gearings out of any context to its real life counterpart.

After years of balancing multi class races on GT for league racing, we ended up doing versus races, where you balance two cars and have two races, half the field in one car and half in the other car, then swap cars for race 2.

Ideally a livery editor solves the problem better imho.

I`ve been doing different sort of leage racing and have to say, Multiclass racing works pretty good, eben though with different cars that have different performances.
But here misses GT a lot as you would need to be able to host a real leauge server where you can "host" the specs of the cars which are chosen by the drivers...........bla,bla,bla.......would be a long story.....LOl, but really I am SimRacin since `99 and did Multiclass racing and it works, you just need enough good drivers to put it up.
And to be honest, I did not pick the fastest car, I picked the car I liked the mopst to drive which wasn`t often the fastest car and I did enjoy the challenge of beeing faster in a slower car than other drivers in a faster car. It is not only about the speed an performance of the car, it is also the driver.And exactly that is the facinating thing about it. The driver/car/track combo which works on this track might be slower on that track. specially in endurance racing. That is why I mentioned, for Multiclass you need a real life counter part race series, to have the balanced field of cars/classes.

But have to say, GT is not ready for multiclass racing, true. Single make races or maybe a max of 3 different car models is the best for GT, sadly

I`d love to see a livery editor in GT!!!!!!!

While I'd love to see a field of 48 cars in GT7, I think we'll be very lucky to see 32. Kaz and the team will probably be pushing everything so hard on PS4 that I suspect 24 cars on track will be more likely. And that still allows 12 cars per class in a dual class race, 8 in a triple class, etc, which is still respectable. I agree with the OP that I'd prefer bots to fill out the field co-op style if a race fails to garner a full 24 player field.

I did say something about enjoying myself... later. :D

You might be right with your prediction on GT7 and Nr of cars, but it might also be possible that GT7 still supports only 16 drivers.

In my opinion less then 16 drivers in a class wouldn`t be so cool, specially for leauge racing due to the different performances of drivers and cars it could get boring with 8 drivers per class if you do not have a pack of 2 to 3 drivers in the same performance window

Back