My 3D printing journey

• Thread starter TB
  • 218 comments
16 hours and 40 minutes in:

20190404_102529.jpg

Is that thing (whatever/whoever it is) solid? Seems to me a lot of material and printing time would be saved if it were hollow.

The core appears to be eggcrate-ish, providing some structure without taxing materials excessively or creating an overly heavy finished product.

We have a winner! Wait. No. Sorry. False alarm.

Is that thing (whatever/whoever it is) solid? Seems to me a lot of material and printing time would be saved if it were hollow.
The core appears to be eggcrate-ish, providing some structure without taxing materials excessively or creating an overly heavy finished product.
I have it at 15% infill (default was set to 20) so it's 85% hollow. For the other half I think I'll drop it down to 10. Once I get familiar enough with it, I might go 5 for similar prints.

FYI - Dropping it from 20 to 15 saved 50 grams (100 for both halves) and a few hours of printing!

How "set it and forget it" is the process? Is it really a matter of starting it up and coming back when it's done or would you, say, hesitate leaving the house while it's doing its thing? Does it require any input along the way?

TB
16 hours and 40 minutes in:
How long do you think it'll take to print out the rest of the chess set?

Got to say it's fascinating watching it develop - whatever it is.

How "set it and forget it" is the process? Is it really a matter of starting it up and coming back when it's done or would you, say, hesitate leaving the house while it's doing its thing? Does it require any input along the way?
Because it's my first major print, I've been pretty hands on. Ultimately, though, you *knock on wood* shouldn't need to touch it until it's done.
How long do you think it'll take to print out the rest of the chess set?

Got to say it's fascinating watching it develop - whatever it is.
That would be one big ass chess set!

The software gave an estimate of one day, one hour and 48 minutes.
Radiohead?

radiohead-the-bends-1373309752.jpg
That's exactly the image that I had in my head but couldn't place the context.
Aesthetically that's the closest guess (besides @Famine's penis) so far but still incorrect.

Edit: New screenshot from my security camera:

Screenshot_20190404-120415_Zmodo.jpg

I'm betting we're getting close to someone figuring it out...

So it's intended to be hands-off.

I think it's almost too much information now and you almost have to know what it is in order to guess what it is (if that makes any sense), where before it was vague enough to permit a broad range of subject matter.

Looks to be very good resolution though.

So it's intended to be hands-off.
There have been a few errant strands I've nipped off but for the most part, no touchy.
I think it's almost too much information now
IsSuchAThingEvenPossible.gif
you almost have to know what it is in order to guess what it is
You're going to be kicking yourself for not seeing it sooner.

I'm really not helping, am I? :lol:
Looks to be very good resolution though.
It is INSANELY good. So good that my next couple of prints (they will all go together) will likely be .2 instead of .1 because... on second thought, no explanation. Because I'm evil. :mischievous:

TB
I'm really not helping, am I? :lol:
Yeah, no...

TB
It is INSANELY good. So good that my next couple of prints (they will all go together) will likely be .2 instead of .1 because... on second thought, no explanation. Because I'm evil. :mischievous:
Ahhhhh, I think I see where you're going.

*wink*

Probably inappropriate to discuss it in mixed company, though. Amiright?

*wink* *nudge*

Yeah, no...
I'm doing my job, then. :D
Probably inappropriate to discuss it in mixed company, though. Amiright?
As a general rule, it's probably best to not discuss anything with me, company notwithstanding.

Edit: Give or take 21 hours and 385 layers:

Screenshot_20190404-150353_Zmodo.jpg

Last edited:
The big reveal is shaping up to be kind of anticlimactic.

23 hours, 450 layers:

20190404_164750.jpg

Layer 500 at 25 hours, 21 minutes:

20190404_190617.jpg

Last edited:
Is it the golden fertility idol from the start of Raiders of the Lost Ark?

TB
Wrong ear. :P
Mirror.

;)

Edit: Had to cut that short to finish and eat dinner, but to elaborate, whichever story of how van Gogh lost his ear, it's his left ear that's pictured bandaged in the famous self-portrait...the painting of which involved the use of a mirror.

800px-VanGogh-self-portrait-with_bandaged_ear.jpg

Last edited:
After 27 hours, 19 minutes, it printed more or less successfully. I'm calling it a good thing that my phone detected a face when I took the first picture. :)

20190404_214631.jpg

20190404_214734.jpg

20190404_214709.jpg

Unless there are comments or questions, I'll be radio silent and won't be documenting the other half of this print. It will be started after work tomorrow and should be finished roughly 24 hours later. Then I figure out how to glue them together, fill in the gaps, prime and paint. :D

Any guesses as to what the next item(s) will be? :mischievous:

TB
That diagonal line looks way worse than it really is. I can't even get my fingernail in it.
Meh...it'll be covered up anyway. Even if it were on an exposed face (no pun intended), it can be remedied in paint prep.

Meh...it'll be covered up anyway. Even if it were on an exposed face (no pun intended), it can be remedied in paint prep.
Apparently the filler of choice is Bondo. Readily accessible, pliable and most importantly sandable.

Sounds about right. And since it's not metal, you probably don't need to use an epoxy primer for adhesion before hitting it with filler.

Other half started at 5:05pm. Software says 20 hours, 13 minutes so I'm betting it will be closer to 21 and change. Still a far cry better than the other one's 26.75!

Back