My "all the cars in the world" Document Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
SAME CAR, GT-T IS PROPER NAME
- Nissan Skyline 2.5 GT-T (R34) '00
- Nissan Skyline GT-T (R34) '99

ADD:
Nissan Skyline GT (R34) '99

DOESN'T EXIST
Nissan Skyline 25GT TURBO (R32) '92

STOPPED PRODUCTION IN NOVEMBER 1992, NOT 1994
Nissan Skyline GTS-t Type M (R32) '94

DOESN'T EXIST THAT YEAR, TRY '86?
Nissan Skyline GXE (R31) '96

MAYBE TRY '86 INSTEAD, NO R31 WAS MADE ANYWHERE CLOSE TO 1996
Nissan Skyline Ti (R31) '96

I'm doing something similarish, but for Nissan Skylines/Cefiros/Laurels/Stageas etc. Going into a lot of detail with it too, so it's going to take a while;
http://southernskylines.com/encyclopedia/index.html

A nice thing about lists like this is that you can make a lot of statistics from it. I've extracted all model names containing "coupe", "sport", "gt" or "turbo" and sorted them after year, to get some sort of trend history for the automotive industry.

The value is % of total number of models introduced that year.

skrmavbild20130401kl124.png

"Sport" models seems to have been popular throughout the 1930's, and has had a bit of a renaissance since 2000.

"Coupe" models were big in the 30's, right after the war and in the early 60's, becoming more popular again in recent years.

"Turbo" is the definition of the 1980's. Was not very popular in the early 2000's but has started to recover a bit recently.

"GT" models ruled the mid to late 60's, been at a fairly steady level since the 70's but lost ground to the "Sports" renaissance at the turn of the century.

The only problem with the data is that there's no way to separate models from 2010 and 1910, they're both listed as '10, so it's not 100% accurate... Of course, one could go through the entire list and sort them out, but with some 20 000 entries that would take some time.

And here is the number of models each year by the biggest 14 brands, sorted by USA, Europe and Japan. The chart suggests that there's a lot of models older than 10-15 years who has been forgotten.

skrmavbild20130401kl112.png

Last edited:
A suggestion, to make the list more useful for automatic data extraction, is to use the following format, or something similar:

[Make] // [Model] // [Option (and all other relevant info)] // [Year]

An example:

Ford // Sierra // 2.0GL // 1988

Following a similar pattern makes it easy to import the text file to programmes like Excel and get all the different info in different columns. And then it can be neatly sorted by columns.

No I didnt...

De Tomaso Pantera '71-'74
De Tomaso Pantera '90-'92
De Tomaso Pantera 2 '84
De Tomaso Pantera II '81
De Tomaso Pantera Concept '07
De Tomaso Pantera GT-5 S '87
De Tomaso Pantera GTS '74
De Tomaso Pantera L '74

eran0004, that first graph... amazing!

also,
L8erBaby
As far as I can see, you've missed the Zenvo ST-1 '09.

what! please tell me you've heard of it and just forgotten it...

as well, according to wikipedia,

bentley speed six "old number one" 1929
bentley 41/2 litre "old mother gun" 1928
bentley 3 litre super sport "old no.7" 1927
bentley 3 litre sport 1924

these are all 24hrs of le mans winners. i think they're racing models of road cars, so i'd add them in parallel to what you've got.

Last edited:
How much can this be narrowed down? Like, as far as tracking minute year-to-year changes in appearance & performance (remember even a slightly different style of headlights/taillights, bumpers, spoiler, etc. can affect weight and aerodynamics slightly), weeding out non-functional concept cars, prototypes, and mockups (i.e. GT-R Proto, which was missing its interior and probably its engine), or tracking options availability (see comment for year-to-year changes)?

I have an idea. It's GT6 related.

Some of the old beetles need adding...

1303 Beetle
1302 Beetle
1300 Beetle
1200 Beetle

That's just a few, and I don't know the release dates. Sorry.

Forgot the Renault Twizy :lol:

HSV Maloo R8

Ford Falcon GT R-Spec

Audi A4L

Honda N Box +

Panoz Abruzzi

Shayton Equilibrium

Beck LM 800

Rapier SL-C

Wysstec Leblanc Mirabeau

Zenvo ST1

Covini C3A