My father is looking for a new car. (suggestions?)

  • Thread starter Thread starter paskowitz
  • 64 comments
  • 3,649 views
And let's not forget... AWD/FWD/RWD doesn't really matter in the snow unless you have the proper shoes on...
 
And let's not forget... AWD/FWD/RWD doesn't really matter in the snow unless you have the proper shoes on...

Agreed, some people don't seem to understand that though.
 
I think the Legacy is a nice option
 
I was going to mention the new AWD 3 series. Apparently BMW has made a good system here that is good in snow and if pretty safe. I am only going by word of mouth and a commercial I saw lol.

Also what about the new WRX. Puts out similar times to the sti and seems a little more civilized. Plus the Sedan version looks pretty nice, IMO alot better looking than the WRX hatchback. Go tell your dad to test one out and see how he likes it.
snly4o.jpg

At 224 hp to the (all 4) wheels and a 5.5 second 0-60 its no slouch.

Actually, the 2009-2010 WRX is rated a 265hp, though some say it's actually ~280hp, and does 0-60 in 4.5s.
 
MAZDASPEED 6

...If you can find one :lol:
 
Just a short-list off the top of my head...


2010 Cadillac CTS 3.6 (optional AWD) - 304 BHP V6
2009-cadillac-cts_100193074_m.jpg

(They also have a new option pack that lets you get the beyond-excellent Recaros from the CTS-V in the standard CTS Sport)

Lets be honest, the CTS is a damn-good car. In fact, its one of the better cars in its segment. You get a lot of car for your money, and GM being in the situation that they are in, this would be the time of year to pick up one hell of a sweet deal. You have the manual and automatic options, you've got both rear and all-wheel drive, and you've got a choice of body styles. The 304 BHP 3.6L V6 is a gem, solid power delivery along with pretty decent fuel economy. Its no BMW 335i, but being that the CTS is more of a 5-series competitor anyway... Its a solid deal. Give it a look.


2011 Ford Taurus SHO (AWD) - 365 BHP 3.5L Twin-Turbo V6
chicago-2009-sho-starter-ford-taurus-sho-kicks-off-chicago.jpg


Its arguably one of the best American cars sold on the market right now, even if its overall performance came up a bit short on expectations. But, frankly, the car is an absolute bullet. It will hold its own in the corners. Its as well-mannered as anything else, and no one will know what the hell it is until you've completely blown them away. Its not the sleeper's sleeper... But its awfully damn close. If I had the $40-ish grand to nab one, I most certainly would.


...Then, just for fun, one from left field...



2011 Saab 9-3X (AWD) - 237 BHP 2.0L Turbocharged I4
geneva-preview-all-roads-lead-to-2010-saab-9-3x.jpg


Hear me out:
1) How many of these will you see on a daily basis?
2) Shes packin' XWD, one of the more fancy AWD systems offered these days
3) Its a Saab... You're part of the cult just for buying one
4) Fun to drive? Well, its all relative. If you don't like the ride height, just get a regular 9-3... But there isn't a massive difference anyway.
 
2011 Ford Taurus SHO (AWD) - 365 BHP 3.5L Twin-Turbo V6
chicago-2009-sho-starter-ford-taurus-sho-kicks-off-chicago.jpg


Its arguably one of the best American cars sold on the market right now, even if its overall performance came up a bit short on expectations. But, frankly, the car is an absolute bullet. It will hold its own in the corners. Its as well-mannered as anything else, and no one will know what the hell it is until you've completely blown them away. Its not the sleeper's sleeper... But its awfully damn close. If I had the $40-ish grand to nab one, I most certainly would.
I went to look at this one day at a local dealership. No, thank you Ford. I want the Performance PKG, but I don't know why I suddenly have to sacrifice a lot of interior comforts. And then there's the dealer slapping a premium price on it bumping 2 of them on their lot to $45K & $48,200.

I'm sorry, but that's S4/335i money right there & that comes with the interior & performance options to match. Ford needs to keep their eyes on the dealer markups.
 
I went to look at this one day at a local dealership. No, thank you Ford. I want the Performance PKG, but I don't know why I suddenly have to sacrifice a lot of interior comforts. And then there's the dealer slapping a premium price on it bumping 2 of them on their lot to $45K & $48,200.

I'm sorry, but that's S4/335i money right there & that comes with the interior & performance options to match. Ford needs to keep their eyes on the dealer markups.

You should've driven one, you'd like it even less.
 
I went to look at this one day at a local dealership. No, thank you Ford. I want the Performance PKG, but I don't know why I suddenly have to sacrifice a lot of interior comforts. And then there's the dealer slapping a premium price on it bumping 2 of them on their lot to $45K & $48,200.

I'm sorry, but that's S4/335i money right there & that comes with the interior & performance options to match. Ford needs to keep their eyes on the dealer markups.

Absolutely agree. This was another car my father test drove. Talk about a boat of a car. It had great power and pulled really well but when you went any direction but straight he said it turned like a motor boat. For that money I'll take a used Maserati Quatroporte (yes I have seen them for around 40k.
 
Just came back from the NY Auto Show with my father. Couple things. The Evo X seats were not terribly uncomfortable just not terribly pleasant. The leg side bolsters are quite large and kind of pinch the legs but otherwise they are fine. The 335xi is apparently a very strong option in both our opinions. We were told the car is a little more understeer prone and a tad heavier but overall is just as quick as the RWD 335i. But the big shocker was the Hyundai Sonata. WOW! For 19k that car is amazing. There is now a 25k 274hp model coming. The fit and finish was great as were the seats. About the only thing we did not like was the thin-ness of the plastics but hey it 19k. Although at 274hp torque steer becomes a problem and a used TL becomes competition.

On a side note my father, being the slick guy he is, convinced this bloke at the fancy car section to let him sit in the Lotus Evora. First things first the car is absolutely stunning. IMO the best looking car Lotus has ever made. But that aside, it is pointless. It is not a "luxury" or GT Lotus. It is an Elise with nice leather and nice styling. There is absolutely no utility for that car. You can't see anything out of the back due to the massive engine cover. To make things worse it has a rear camera but it only turns on when you are in reverse!?!?!? The rear haunches block a good portion of what you see in the side vision mirrors, which are way too close to the car. There is no glove compartment. And as stupid as it may sound no cup holder. The rear seats are useless and since they are actual seats putting stuff back there is awkward. And to top it all of they want 80k. HA! For that money I would take a GTR or a used Elise and tune the bonkers out it.
 
Just came back from the NY Auto Show with my father. Couple things. The Evo X seats were not terribly uncomfortable just not terribly pleasant. The leg side bolsters are quite large and kind of pinch the legs but otherwise they are fine. The 335xi is apparently a very strong option in both our opinions. We were told the car is a little more understeer prone and a tad heavier but overall is just as quick as the RWD 335i. But the big shocker was the Hyundai Sonata. WOW! For 19k that car is amazing. There is now a 25k 274hp model coming. The fit and finish was great as were the seats. About the only thing we did not like was the thin-ness of the plastics but hey it 19k. Although at 274hp torque steer becomes a problem and a used TL becomes competition.

On a side note my father, being the slick guy he is, convinced this bloke at the fancy car section to let him sit in the Lotus Evora. First things first the car is absolutely stunning. IMO the best looking car Lotus has ever made. But that aside, it is pointless. It is not a "luxury" or GT Lotus. It is an Elise with nice leather and nice styling. There is absolutely no utility for that car. You can't see anything out of the back due to the massive engine cover. To make things worse it has a rear camera but it only turns on when you are in reverse!?!?!? The rear haunches block a good portion of what you see in the side vision mirrors, which are way too close to the car. There is no glove compartment. And as stupid as it may sound no cup holder. The rear seats are useless and since they are actual seats putting stuff back there is awkward. And to top it all of they want 80k. HA! For that money I would take a GTR or a used Elise and tune the bonkers out it.

So did he find that magical RWD car that you can depend on to get milk in the snow yet?:sly:
You did specify without snow tires, so, that leaves everything out.
But since you seem to be adding FWD's, I know anything decently sized and GM is great in snow, so maybe some kind of... wait, he wants good handling, AND good in snow. Those 2 things mix exactly as well as RWD and snow, with 4WD STILL the only exception.

And the list remains:
EVO
Subaru
Most anything else would have to be used and older, and frankly, a worse deal, like used Audi's, or maybe some kind of VW...

But 4WD adds weight, kills mpg's, and is more fragile, and more costly to maintain and repair, not to mention adding to sticker prices.
 
On a side note my father, being the slick guy he is, convinced this bloke at the fancy car section to let him sit in the Lotus Evora. First things first the car is absolutely stunning. IMO the best looking car Lotus has ever made. But that aside, it is pointless. It is not a "luxury" or GT Lotus. It is an Elise with nice leather and nice styling. There is absolutely no utility for that car. You can't see anything out of the back due to the massive engine cover. To make things worse it has a rear camera but it only turns on when you are in reverse!?!?!? The rear haunches block a good portion of what you see in the side vision mirrors, which are way too close to the car. There is no glove compartment. And as stupid as it may sound no cup holder. The rear seats are useless and since they are actual seats putting stuff back there is awkward. And to top it all of they want 80k. HA! For that money I would take a GTR or a used Elise and tune the bonkers out it.
Can't say I agree. Rear visibility is something even Exige owners are deprived of, & from what I've seen, the Evora should have better visibility than even the Elise. The camera is also nothing new. Rear view cameras were always intended as parking assists, not mirror aids. No cup holder & no glove box is something you won't catch in the Elise or Evora, either; don't seem to be features Lotus encourages.
 
I'm sorry, but that's S4/335i money right there & that comes with the interior & performance options to match. Ford needs to keep their eyes on the dealer markups.

Wow, they're dropping that much of a markup on it? I mean, I'd personally take that as a good thing, it must mean that the car is popular... But not for that much. I can recall when the GT500 arrived a few years back, the local Ford dealer had an $8000+ "Market Adjustment Value" added to it.

Ouch.
 
On the Mazda 6, remember that only the Mazdaspeed version was AWD, and they were only made for two years. There are some for sale in NE Ohio, however. I'm personally tempted.

Other than that, I think various BMW 3-Series and some of the older Suburus are the most obvious options. Maybe a Legacy or older WRX (How does he feel about a bug eye?).

There's an Infiniti G37x AWD, but it only comes in an automatic. Argh. Same with the Lexus 250 AWD, unless he'll like the paddle shift automatics.
 
I don't remember the price range, but I hear great things about the 2011 Buick Regal... And if they do release the Regal GS concept, then you're talking 255HP AWD on top of what I hear is a fantastic car.
 
A car for your dad? Hmm.. He needs to get a AMG!!! Any one of them ;), its full line up from 2 door cars to SUV and in between. He will still be comftable in traffic, when roads are clear he will have tons of fun in it. Not to mention, its your father, older guy, so He won't look good in a 370z, or a Mazda 3/6, he needs respect, AMG is the way to go. Used Mercedes Benz AMGs are not that expensive anymore. My bro just bought one, a CLK55 AMG '02 and we love it. You still get 22MPG on the high way, very comftable car, fully loaded, as well stiff for the twisty roads.. the power is immersive, as well the torque! It's like a corveette, but with luxury. Those automatics from AMG are better then Manuals, as well they thought of everything, like hitting the gas paddle fast and lifing it off quickly wont change the gear, so its good for a track when you turn and you need to stay in the same gear.. They also come with Sequential, so you can change gears manually.

Just type in autotrader, selcet 3 AMG cars, within you area and what not..

Just some quick Ideas.. Note some cars may be cheaper or better then others ones, but some quick general idea on what AMG to get ;)

CLK55

E55

C55 AMG

S AMG!


Like I said, its for your father, he does not deserves a ricer look, he needs a real car ;)
 
Last edited:
TrievelA7X, I never said no snow tires I said no chains or spikes.

Also on the Evora, Elise, Exige, etc. The Elise and Exige in fact do have a single cup holder. Its not a big deal but worth noting. Also trust me when I say this, the Evora has horrible rear visibility. Its a fact. Merging on a highway in that car would be a scary proposition.

Honestly as it stands now, in my dads mind the best options are in order: 2.0T Sonata (value), BMW 335xi coupe (loves the car), Evo X (kills multiple birds with one stone). I will let you guys know what he decides on.
 
Crown Vic PI with 5-speed conversion :sly:
 
Just type in autotrader, selcet 3 AMG cars, within you area and what not..
Just some quick Ideas.. Note some cars may be cheaper or better then others ones, but some quick general idea on what AMG to get ;)

CLK55

E55

C55 AMG

S AMG!
Like I said, its for your father, he does not deserves a ricer look, he needs a real car ;)

And yet, the AMG name alone can break the handling, maintenance, & durability rule all in one go once you factor in his miles/price limits.


Now, looking at the current market, the CLK55 AMG is reasonably available; $25K average w/ 32-38K miles. C55s are a little higher starting near $25,000 & miles beginning at 40,000 easily. The E55 market is a bit different. Looks like years play a factor as a 2003 can be had for $26K/31K, but a 2004 will shoot up to $30K/38K. So, it's a pretty thorough market. As for the S-Class, treat it like you would a 7 Series, i.e. research the hell out of them because older German V8s & V12s are costly to repair as they age.


I should also mention that the CLK55 is readily available on the private market within your means Pas., but as is nearly the case with any German car, make sure you research the year you're looking at. There are decent models running fine out there, but there's also plenty of ones that are ticking time bombs, & you can be sure private sellers will hide any known faults to the best of their availability.
 
And yet, the AMG name alone can break the handling, maintenance, & durability rule all in one go once you factor in his miles/price limits.


Now, looking at the current market, the CLK55 AMG is reasonably available; $25K average w/ 32-38K miles. C55s are a little higher starting near $25,000 & miles beginning at 40,000 easily. The E55 market is a bit different. Looks like years play a factor as a 2003 can be had for $26K/31K, but a 2004 will shoot up to $30K/38K. So, it's a pretty thorough market. As for the S-Class, treat it like you would a 7 Series, i.e. research the hell out of them because older German V8s & V12s are costly to repair as they age.


I should also mention that the CLK55 is readily available on the private market within your means Pas., but as is nearly the case with any German car, make sure you research the year you're looking at. There are decent models running fine out there, but there's also plenty of ones that are ticking time bombs, & you can be sure private sellers will hide any known faults to the best of their availability.

We are well aware of this fact and are aware of just how wrong things can go. Case in point our Audi. My dad is not a Benz fan but I will tell him to give them a look. Thanks for the constructive reply.👍
 
An E39 M5 would be god.
 
May I make a suggestion?

74115533.jpg


Requirements:
-Within 250-ish miles of central NY (ie Hudson Valley) I would assume so.
-Must have GREAT (and I mean the caps) seats Debatable. But not bad at all.
-Used or new (if used <50k is preferable) Shouldn't be an issue.
-NO FWD! RWD or AWD (rear bias) ONLY! K, so it's front biased.
-Not fugly Classy
-Not extremely ostentatious Some might say it blends in too much.
-around $20k is the sweet spot) No more than 25 for a great low mileage example
-4 door (or coupe with usable rear seats, no convertible) Check
-Manual Check

Preferences:
-250hp+ (if less, less weight, what he is getting at is sporty) Check
-15+ combined MPG (20+ is preferred) Well, how fast does he drive? 20+ shouldnt be and issue.
-less than 3750lbs (ie not porky) Just barely.
-handling>acceleration (as a rule) It handles well, some understeer occurs, but unless he's going to the track, it is great.
-Not a fortune to maintain Upkeep is pricey, but not a killer at all.
-Reasonably durable He wants to off road it?
-Good visibility Check
-Not required but upgrade-ability is a plus Easy peasy.
 
Last edited:
May I make a suggestion?

74115533.jpg

Is that a Volvo? My car spotting abilities are a bit rusty and that image is small but thats a Volvo I reckon.

Yes, the M5 would seem like a God out of all the cars so nominated so far. :p

But seriously, I agree. :)

I have heard that car is a bit on portly side (not saying it is not a great car). I will mention it. Also MPGs? Great car none the less.
 
I have heard that car is a bit on portly side (not saying it is not a great car). I will mention it. Also MPGs? Great car none the less.
What exactly do you mean by portly? :confused:

According to Edmunds, it's 15MPG combined.
 
TrievelA7X, I never said no snow tires I said no chains or spikes.

Also on the Evora, Elise, Exige, etc. The Elise and Exige in fact do have a single cup holder. Its not a big deal but worth noting. Also trust me when I say this, the Evora has horrible rear visibility. Its a fact. Merging on a highway in that car would be a scary proposition.

Honestly as it stands now, in my dads mind the best options are in order: 2.0T Sonata (value), BMW 335xi coupe (loves the car), Evo X (kills multiple birds with one stone). I will let you guys know what he decides on.
Anything FWD or AWD is great in snow with snow tires.
Other than some very, very light ones, but they don't have power, so....
Nothing RWD is still going to do squat even with snow tires, it'll still suck in snow, end of story.
But from what I see, FWD is in the book now, which opens up a whole new world of cars.

I personally wouldn't recommend anything claimed "super reliable". Every company that builds a reputation for it ends up making crap boxes shortly afterwards. So I'd steer clear of anything Toyota or Hyundai right about now. Just like people would have steered clear of past crap boxes before they came out. It's the car companies on the bottom that make the best ones, and right now, that means any brand new American car.
 
You called Hyundais crap boxes & then believe American cars are the best things on the market?

If Paskowitz knows better, he'll steer clear of that advice. American cars are getting better, but Hyundai's current line up is absolutely top notch. The Genesis models & the Accent aren't getting so much news for nothing.

As for American cars, sales say otherwise. Last month, all the cars within Paskowitz's range that had the highest sales were BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, & Acura. And such was Feb. & Jan.'s sales.
 
Back