• Thread starter Slash
  • 46 comments

Slash

POWER BY FORD
Premium
United States
Indian Falls, NY
slashfan7964
So I started my first 24 hour race in A-Spec, ever. I've done all endurance races in B-Spec at some point. But never in A-Spec. So bear with me here...

Also I'm going to need much support doing this as I have a short attention span but as I was doing this last night I found it very thrilling. By the way I'm doing it solo with a standard DS3 controller.

Car of Choice: Nissan R92CP Race Car '92
Tuned? Yes
Broken in? Yes

A.I.:

McLaren F1 GTR Race Car
Speed 8 Race Car
R390 GT1 Race Car
GT ONE Race Car
Viper GTS-R Team Oreca
Viper GTS-R Team Oreca
Courage C60
(Me) R29CP Race Car
R10 TDI Race Car
Vertigo Race Car
LKL-LM Race Car
C60 Hybrid

Race Start Conditions: Light Rain/drizzle, Some blue sky and sunlight. 54% wet

Lap 10, First Pit Stop
Time: 32 Minutes
Best Lap: 3:19:xx
54% Track Wet - Dropped to 22% steadily, still dropping
Lead? Yes
Lead By: 1:52:xx, Nearly Gone

Clean race so far (althout wouldn't know by the looks of my car). Was very surprised when I left the pit the first time to be back in second. Regained the lead and decided to pit every 5/6 or so laps when fuel and tires are about halfway gone. I will have to pit more often but it gives me a 30 second break before starting again. Very fun so far.

16 Laps, Pit Stop 2
Time: 45 minutes
Wetness: 0%
Best Lap: 3:08:831 (I can do way better though, was tired)

Rain completley stopped at 40 minutes in, and dried up about 45 minutes in. Clouds went away and the sky opened up to see the sun. A few times after it clouded up and again and I thought it might rain but it hasn't. Pretty easy so far, and having a blast lapping one of my favorite tracks.

3 1/2 Hours In
57 Laps

I'm having a blast with this race so far. Really enjoying it. Not really challenging but I still have to watch out. I have had some slower laps but I am retaining a 2 1/2 lap lead. I have a feeling I'll come out of this race on top with about an 8 lap lead but I still have about 21 hours left. It's starting to get dark now, the sun is setting and it is a beautiful shade of orange. I will post an update after every stint.

6 Hours In (Really 5:45:xx:xxx)
95 Laps
3 Lap Lead

Well, it's completely dark. Around 10 minutes after the 5 hour mark it went dark. At about 5:30 the fireworks began shooting up. Had a bit slower laps but I'm now getting used to the darkness. The A.I. have gotten noticably more aggressive and faster. Still a very fun race.

9 Hours In
152 Laps
Best Lap: 3:06:971
5 Lap Lead

SO. DRAINING. But still very epic. The night time racing is starting to get old though. Still have another 3/4 hours of that then it will be morning in-game. The rain has held off so far and I'm hoping it continues to. I also have had some epic crashes, a Viper decided to randomly brake check during the straight and sent me flying. Another time I had a guy in an LMP and turn left into a chicane. Needless to say I then had no braking room and t-boned him, which then sent me spinning uncontrollably and nose dived a wall. In real life, he would have been dead on impact and I would have likely died at the scene. The race has gone great so far, and I'm looking forward to the finish, which is still a long time away.

12 Hours In
200 Laps
7 Lap Lead

Great fun so far, was starting to get tired of all the racing though. Went to bed early but will be getting back on the track soon today. I did notice that I might not be able to see the epic sunrise everyone speaks of though. At around 11:45 it starting sprinkling. However after 15 minutes it did not let up but it wasn't downpouring so the track isn't wet at all, still 0% wet. I'm really hoping it goes away before the 13 hours mark so I can see it.

15 Hours In
245 Laps
7 Lap Lead

Ok, A LOT to talk about here. This will be probably the most exciting set of 3 hours I've had during the race yet. First, I began reporting light sprinkles of rain in the previous 3 hour set. Well, at about 12:45 in, it started coming down. And I mean in buckets. It got to the point where I was spinning out every seconds with a brand new set of rain tires, so I changed back to what I was using before (racing hards in the front, softs in the back) and surprisingly the gripped better AND lasted TWICE AS LONG. So instead of 5 laps I now got ten, but now I also run down a full take of gas. Next epic thing that happened was literally 3 minutes later at 12:48, light started appearing. Thinking to myself, YES I MADE IT, and then realizing that I was going to miss the epic sunrises everyone talks about killed it. At that point, I was just happy to have made it through the night part. Back to the rain, at the time of typing this, it has NOT let up, and is not showing any signs of doing so very soon. The ground was 100% wet by about a half hour after it started down pouring, and I was not happy. I hate to say this but it is looking like I may have to finish out the race in the rain. I also noticed that about an hour before the rain started, the fireworks went out and the amusement park near the pits closed down. For some reason though, it opened back up about an hour of light was here. But what was weird about this was the fact that it opened in the pouring rain. I'm really hoping the rain will end so I don't have to finish it out this way but that's the way things happen. Because of this rain my lap times are suffering by about 30 seconds slower. Also, I stopped and let the race run for about a half hour and that dropped me to a 3 lap lead but now I'm up to 8 again and I can just let time go by without having to do anything.

18 Hours In
Lap 288
8 Lap Lead

Each stint it's been easier to overtake so I can let my car sit there for a half hour to just burn time and still make up for the laps lol. Getting really bored really easily now, thank god for Iron Maiden, just cranking' the tunes gets me through XD. Just over 18 hours in though, hoping I can hold out just a few more days to get this thing over with. Starts to get real repetitive after a while so now I'm getting bored after an hour or so. I really hope a get a wheel for Christmas lol, then maybe the rest of 'em won't be so bad. That is, if I can master a wheel =P. By the way, it is STILL dumping rain on me.

21 Hours in
Lap 326
7 Lap Lead

Still raining. It's very annoying. Been listening to Metallica to get me through. Bored, that's all I can say. I noticed that the guy in second is the R8 (I posted the wrong A.I. on accident) so when I pass him I'm up a lap. A 10 lap lead usually gets me a 40 minute break. I can just sit there and let him lap me and get nearly an hour off. The next three hours are going to be exciting though, because it's going to be the last three hours of the entire race. I am going to shoot for getting this done today, wish me luck!

24 Hours In
Lap 364
5 Lap Lead

VICTORY IS MINE! I took home the win at lap 364, where it was STILL RAINING lol. Now I'm in a good mood, and still staring at my screen, thinking, OMG I CANNOT BELIEVE I JUST DID THAT...Got my 200% bonus as I had hoped. What a race, that is all....

CLOSING COMMENTS:

I advise anyone contemplating on comepleting this race to go for it. It is not as bad as you may think and is very enjoyable after all. I am glad I completed it, it boosted me from a quarter of a way into Level 37 to over halfway of Level 39, a step closer to 40. Make sure when you start the race to have the 200% sign in bonus under your belt, and the 13.5 million XP is yours when you bring home the victory. Another thing, do it as you want. Don't force yourself to do it. Do it as you feel like it, so it doesn't stress you out or make you feel like you half to do it. What got myself through was constantly reminding myself, "Just do it now, and get it out of the way". Listening to your favorite music also helps. I recommend this race to everyone. Thanks for readin' everyone!

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to driving at night, I hope it doesn't rain. The skies are pretty clear right now but if it happens it happens.

One day i will do one of the races but i just dont have the time. I feel i would have to do it in one big chunk with some stops for rest,food, urination etc :) how are you doing it?

Good work. Doing it alone must be hard.

Actually it isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I was dreading it so much I was never going to do it but it really isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

@ellisnutt

I don't have the time either so I just do them when I can. If I can only race for a half hour then I will. Do it as you can, take your time. Don't make it a burden on you. Do it as you please. I'm doing it when I can when the rest of my life isn't in the way.

You sure they're getting faster and not the other way around?:lol: Keep up the good work. Here's hoping the rain holds off.

You sure they're getting faster and not the other way around?:lol: Keep up the good work. Here's hoping the rain holds off.

I thought so too for a while. I did have some slow laps but I'm averaging right around 3:20 a lap. Also, OP updated.

Almost half way there! I've heard the feeling of making it through the night and finally seeing sunrise is epic.

And I thought the sunset was epic. We'll see. I'm praying the rain holds off. It's been good to me so far. I know a few of my friends had it rain the entire race.

Pretty interesting. I'm going to be doing this with my friend over Christmas break for the whole 24 hours. Most likely going to use a DS3 unless we magically acquire a wheel.

Pretty interesting. I'm going to be doing this with my friend over Christmas break for the whole 24 hours. Most likely going to use a DS3 unless we magically acquire a wheel.

It isn't bad with a DS3. I've been doing 3 hour stints and then taking a break, and I thought it would kill my hands. Not so.

slashfan7964
It isn't bad with a DS3. I've been doing 3 hour stints and then taking a break, and I thought it would kill my hands. Not so.

Well I've played for about 6 hours with a few breaks when it was snowing in October here, and that wasn't bad, so I'm fine with it. It's just that I think it'd be more fun with a wheel, we're using either the 908 HDI FAP, which we'd use paddles, or the 787B, which would use clutch and H-Pattern, which I'd love.

I just noticed your car selection. I'd have went with a premium and used cockpit view with the hud turned off. You would be so immersed in the driving experience those hours would fly by. Just imagine having a nice wheel set-up and a multi-screen display to go with that. Nice!

kennyblanco
I just noticed your car selection. I'd have went with a premium and used cockpit view with the hud turned off. You would be so immersed in the driving experience those hours would fly by. Just imagine having a nice wheel set-up and a multi-screen display to go with that. Nice!

I would need a premium to do it, and my friend agrees, cockpit view of course. The multi-monitor set up and wheel is just a wish though.

OP Updated.

EDIT: I have a serious question...I signed in 3 days ago and got my 200% bonus. I have gone the full 3 days so far and I have not signed out. Will I still get my bonus when the race is over? I'm under the assumption I will since I have not signed out of PSN.

EDIT: Op Updated again.

EDIT: Now I'm even more worried about my bonus, my PS3 error'ed and I got auto-signed out.

Last edited:
So I've pretty much lost it unless I sign back in? I'm so confused.

Well I did end up signing back in...I hope I have it when the race is over.

I think your bonus decreases each day until you finish the race just as if you hadn't signed in for the day. I remember reading that in another thread here.

OP Updated.

EDIT: I have a serious question...I signed in 3 days ago and got my 200% bonus. I have gone the full 3 days so far and I have not signed out. Will I still get my bonus when the race is over? I'm under the assumption I will since I have not signed out of PSN.

EDIT: Op Updated again.

EDIT: Now I'm even more worried about my bonus, my PS3 error'ed and I got auto-signed out.

Yes. I did the 9hr Tsukuba a few days ago. Started with 200% bonus. Finished the race, recieved 200% bonus. Exit to GTlife, had beginning-(100%?) bonus. After logging in over the next few days, I'm up to 170%.

Good read slashfan. Not sure if you're still with a wet race, but if you are try the intermediate tires and check how they compare to what you're using. What I hear is that they're the best to use in 100% wet tracks.

A shame that wet tires are useless, someone at PD was sleeping when they modeled them ...

@Kenny

Nah, I took a day or so break so I wouldn't be bored to death when I started back up. Lap 303 now! The race is usually over by 380 and from my car's standpoint every 20 or so laps is an hour.

Good read slashfan. Not sure if you're still with a wet race, but if you are try the intermediate tires and check how they compare to what you're using. What I hear is that they're the best to use in 100% wet tracks.

A shame that wet tires are useless, someone at PD was sleeping when they modeled them ...

Thanks. Yes, I'm still in a wet race. It doesn't look like it's going to be letting up at all. I've tried intermediates before and I still think they are over-steer happy. I can try again though. I'm 19 hours in now, and letting my car sit for about a half hours to knock down the number of laps I'm ahead by and to kill time.

Back