My FM5 Review

• Thread starter Kenbob
  • 63 comments
United States
United States
Im going to go ahead and clarify that im not a racing/sim game expert. My last racing sim was GT#? on PS2 (which i loved). FM5 is my first Forza and first experience with Turn10. Also, i never post on threads or atempt to write reviews. With all that being said, For some reason or another when the next gen consoles came out, i felt the urge to play GT again. Luckily for me, i won a Free PS4 from taco bell and was really exicted to play GT (even though i have been a Xbox guy since 360). Only then did i learn that GT6 wasnt comming out for PS4. So i sold the P4 and bought a X1. I bought FM5 and have been playing it solid for a few weeks. So here is my review.

Game Play: 8 out of 10

I really enjoy how this game feels when on the road. The physics feel solid and it is just really fun to drive. When you first start out, all the assists that are turned on by default make that game really boring. But, This can very easily be changed to support your skill level. Overall, No complaints

Graphics: 9 out of 10

This game is beautiful. The only thing that made me not give it a full 10 rating is the damage grahpics seem to always be the same. Not really a big deal.

Content: 3 out of 10

Ok, so this is where i was really disapointed. The amount of Cars seems good to me so far. The amount of tracks is bad (well documented). But the most disapointment for me is....... Upgrades. The ammount of upgrades available is fine. However. When you start a new league or series, you buy a car. when you buy that car, it is almost fully maxed in that class. It really feels like the upgrades are useless. Maybe this gets a little better as the game progresses? I understand the need to try to keep races competetive in career mode. But i would have preferred buying a car, struggling to even keep up in that car, make a lil money, upgrade the car, get more competetive, upgrade it alot more, blowing away he competition. How were the previous Forza's in this regard?

So we all know the ammount of tracks stink. However im more upset with no dirt/rally racing and or no Night races. Also i would have liked a little variety in the ammount of laps the races offered in career mode. I dont mind 2 lap races, but i dont want every race to be 2-3 laps, thats boreing. It would have been nice for Pits, Tire wear, Gas consumption to come into play. Atleast on some races.

The last thing that made me give content such a low rating is the economy. So far, every race you win nets you between 3k credits and 5k credits. I would have loved some longer races or races in higher classes to net you bigger rewards. Again, just makes it a lil dull.

Overall: 5 out of 10

This is a beautiful and really fun game to play with out a doubt. But, it is the content (Or lake there of) to me that keeps this game from being "Ok" to "Amazing".

I would love some feedback on my review. Especially some that compares this edition of Forza to its previous ones. I apologize for any typos in this thread. My keyboard is acting up and missing some random keystrokes.

Last edited:
You should've experienced FM4.

Was it better or worse in regard to my suggestions?

you kind of sound crazy.

Which part? :)

When you start a new race series and you're asked to buy a car it is auto upgraded to the top of that class, instead, back out and go and buy the car from the dealership and it will be stock

Yeah, that is a way around it i guess. But then, when you have to use credits to upgrade it, your behind the economy power curve. I would have liked it built into the economy.

After thinking about it for a while, there are 2 more things that i wish would be different.

First: A gold medal is first place through third place. Silver is 3rd through ect..... I wish it was 1st = gold 2nd=silver ect...

Second: All you have to do is go through a series. There is no requirement (that im aware of) to finish the races in any particular rank. IE: If i finish all the races dead last, i still complete the series and move on to the next as if i would have finished first in every race (only difference is the amount of credits i win per race). Also the series reward is also the same if i do this?

Im really not trying to bash the game. I bought it, i would buy it again. I enjoy playing it. Just wishing it had the things i mentioned. However, if i had a choice between this game (having the knowledge i do right now about the game) and GT6 (only knowing that i enjoyed a GT game 10 years ago), i would take a chance on GT6

Yeah, that is a way around it i guess. But then, when you have to use credits to upgrade it, your behind the economy power curve. I would have liked it built into the economy.

After thinking about it for a while, there are 2 more things that i wish would be different.

First: A gold medal is first place through third place. Silver is 3rd through ect..... I wish it was 1st = gold 2nd=silver ect...

Second: All you have to do is go through a series. There is no requirement (that im aware of) to finish the races in any particular rank. IE: If i finish all the races dead last, i still complete the series and move on to the next as if i would have finished first in every race (only difference is the amount of credits i win per race). Also the series reward is also the same if i do this?

Im really not trying to bash the game. I bought it, i would buy it again. I enjoy playing it. Just wishing it had the things i mentioned. However, if i had a choice between this game (having the knowledge i do right now about the game) and GT6 (only knowing that i enjoyed a GT game 10 years ago), i would take a chance on GT6

If you had played GT5, you might have had a different impression of the GT series. I didn't even bother to buy GT6, after having played GT5 and I had a PS3 and a G27 standing by.

You have to use credits no matter what way you buy the cars

Try Free Play. Also, see below re career.

If you want all golds in a case like this you'd still have to go in and run the race again. At least this way people who can't complete all the requirements aren't stuck like I was with GT5 when I couldn't win the vintage and Like The Wind races.

@Kenbob
Overall sounds like a reasonable review. Especially the content part. That's been a top complaint of F5 anywhere you go. Lack of cars. lack of night racing, lack of weather, and especially the lack of tracks.

@Kenbob
Overall sounds like a reasonable review. Especially the content part. That's been a top complaint of F5 anywhere you go. Lack of cars. lack of night racing, lack of weather, and especially the lack of tracks.
I imagine this complaint is common among people who expected a console launch game to be as fully featured as a mature release on the previous generation console and have more besides like night and weather. I also bet there are also a fair few people who are willing to settle for what we got in exchange for being able to play the game last year instead of next.

Last edited:
A fair assessment, though a little harsh in some areas for the wrong reasons.

But i would have preferred buying a car, struggling to even keep up in that car, make a lil money, upgrade the car, get more competetive, upgrade it alot more, blowing away he competition.
As mentioned above, you can. If you're in a car that is underpowered, you're given the option to "race anyways". I prefer the "upgrade your car yourself" route since the auto-upgrade is usually power-minded whereas I start with suspension and tires. Power upgrades are usually a last resort for me, unless I have a car that needs top-end speed for long straightaways.

I agree about disliking the 2-3 lap races. It's hardly enough to get your tires warm. At least the leveling system doesn't increase gaps, so getting from level 1-2 takes as many XP as going from 200-201. I've had no issues with getting credits. Also, make sure you check out Forza Rewards. They hand out free credits like they were going out of style.

Fair review I guess, though I don't know how out of 3 categories being reviewed, the game ends up with a 50% rating when your system tallies up to a 6-7/10.

Simple. I gave more weight to content. Being a beautiful game was to be expected as a next gen. I did state that this is my first Forza. My expectations were not based on any past forza experience and therefore was not 100 percent realistic. I get that. To me it boils down to two questions.

Does forza 5 ruin my first experience with the game? No

Does forza 5 win me over as a fan for life. No

I'm thinking the fm6 will make it or break it for me

Simple. I gave more weight to content. Being a beautiful game was to be expected as a next gen. I did state that this is my first Forza. My expectations were not based on any past forza experience and therefore was not 100 percent realistic. I get that. To me it boils down to two questions.

That's fine, your score just doesn't add up is all.

Content before/over gameplay?

Content before/over gameplay?

That's the whole premise about GT because they lack in the gameplay department *wink*. At least FM5 assets are not refurbish asset from the previous generation for the most part.

The fact that the OP value quantity over quality kinda reflect the gaming community of the recent years. Casual gamers gets seduced by number instead (1080p debate per example) of what matters most. how does the game actually play. Why complaining about only 200 cars when you look at leaderboard only the same 3-5 cars are used to set up the fastest lap anyway.

Why complaining about only 200 cars when you look at leaderboard only the same 3-5 cars are used to set up the fastest lap anyway.
With a thousand cars maybe we could get that up to five or six though. :D

I came across this thread because I've been thinking about buying the new Xbox so I could play Forza.

I discovered GT5 in Fall 2013 and loved it so much that I bought a G27 wheel and a new 60 inch high def TV. I've been playing GT6 since it came out which I also enjoy. However, since it's only been out for 1.5 months, there haven't been many new expert level races released so I've already completed most of the game.

Also, I'm on full disability after breaking my back in several places, so I've got lots of time to kill which is another reason I'm thinking about buying Xbox One and Forza. However, after reading this review, I'm not so sure FM5 is worth the money. Does anyone here play both GT5/GT6 and Forza? If so, can you tell me how Forza compares to GT? Also, from what I've read here, it sounds like I might be better off saving some money by buying a Xbox 360 and FM4 rather than the new Xbox One and Forza. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

I play both. If you want content, then in bald numbers GT wins. If you want competent, uneventful handling, then GT wins. If you want 200 varied cars with no duplicate models of negligible differences and a handling model that punishes poor driving as it should do and one that feels fantastic when you do get it right, then Forza is worth every penny. It's moved on quite a way from 4 in the handling department and that game felt good.

I came across this thread because I've been thinking about buying the new Xbox so I could play Forza.

I discovered GT5 in Fall 2013 and loved it so much that I bought a G27 wheel and a new 60 inch high def TV. I've been playing GT6 since it came out which I also enjoy. However, since it's only been out for 1.5 months, there haven't been many new expert level races released so I've already completed most of the game.

Also, I'm on full disability after breaking my back in several places, so I've got lots of time to kill which is another reason I'm thinking about buying Xbox One and Forza. However, after reading this review, I'm not so sure FM5 is worth the money. Does anyone here play both GT5/GT6 and Forza? If so, can you tell me how Forza compares to GT? Also, from what I've read here, it sounds like I might be better off saving some money by buying a Xbox 360 and FM4 rather than the new Xbox One and Forza. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

I was a hardcore GT fan, played GT1-5. I pretty much only played GT because very few race games were worth it on the playstation. I jumped to FM4 last January because GT5 had become stale in gameplay, poor in it's AI and the GT side of this board said it was awful so i put it off for years. They could not have been more wrong, the cars feel more alive, the AI was challenging, multiple race modes, incredible sounds, customizing is miles better, career list that is huge and online play for 360 is 100% better. I was ready to give up console gaming as a whole till then.

I bought an xbox one on the first day just for FM5, this is by far the best console race game i have ever played. The physics are incredible, the graphics in the photos here speak for themselves, all cars have full interiors, the AI/Driveatar while unpredictable is great change from the set path rabbit chase GT uses for its AI. It's so good I haven't turned on my xbox 360 for FM4 since. There are things I'd like changed but nothing game killing, small options for loading tunes, which cars i own marked in the dealer.

Maybe because I'm 35 and remember playing race games on ps1 like "Road & Track present Need for Speed" that had a an insane total of 6 or so cars and maybe 6 tracks and no ability to customize cars that content is the last of my worries. I'm also smart enough to put together that this is a whole new build on a new system. There is no way you could port over old assets from FM2-4 that were not up to par for a release day system. That would be completely bush and people would be complaining about them just like people complain about the standards in GT. Also GT's car count would be about on par with FM if they didn't port over gt2-4 models. Despite the smaller car list, it is still better in the way it's more varied with cars i actually want to drive. Especially when you take in to the fact that most the GT car list is Skyline, Miata, Silvia, Lancer, Impreza.

If you have the disposable income and time I'd get both, but I'd put time in FM4 first because you won't go back after playing FM5.

@chrisdittmer, this is always a hard one as many have very specific things they are looking for and in a lot of cases you will get bias opinions as not everyone can afford multiple consoles or a PC for hands-on comparisons.

I have been gaming forever, mostly just virtual racing, and am lucky to be able to afford most anything on the consoles or PC. Forza is one of my favorite racing games as it offers the best of most worlds - graphics, sound, physics, customization, etc., is it perfect, no, but NOTHING is.
The only thing that has held Forza 5 back in the minds of some is the lack of mega content, but, only lack of content if comparing to the previous generation FM4 or GT5/6. If comparing to PC racing games it has much more, it's a matter of expectations. To me it is quality over quantity that's important. I don't regret my Xbox One and FM5 purchase in the least and am also enjoying the other entertainment focused features that the X1 brings to the new generation.
To me it's a no-brainier but I can understand if money is tight. I am enjoying pCARS, Assetto Corsa, F1 2013 (PC), GT6, and FM5. If I could only have one it would be FM5.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback! I really appreciate it.

One last question if I may? Am I safe in assuming that my Logitech G27 wheel is compatible with Forza? I'd hate to add on the price of a new wheel in addition to the Xbox. And it wouldn't be the same with a regular controller now that I'm used to a wheel.

Thanks again!

Thanks for all the feedback! I really appreciate it.

One last question if I may? Am I safe in assuming that my Logitech G27 wheel is compatible with Forza? I'd hate to add on the price of a new wheel in addition to the Xbox. And it wouldn't be the same with a regular controller now that I'm used to a wheel.

Thanks again!
Bad news I am afraid. The only wheels that work right now are Thrustmaster TX and an upcoming mad catz.

VERY sorry to hear that! :(

Thanks man. In a way I was lucky because I should've been paralyzed but I managed to walk again after lots of therapy. But I was also unlucky as I now have chronic pain 24/7/365 and even the insane amount of pain meds I take barely help. That's life though.

Regarding the G27 wheel not working with Forza, that's dissapointing. I don't think I could justify buying a new wheel and a new game system for just one new racing game, at least not right now. Regardless, thanks to everyone who provided all the feedback. If the Thrustmaster is a good wheel, maybe I'll invest in it and Forza down the road. Thanks again!

Thanks in advance!

Real sorry about your back.

Get FM4 at the first possible opportunity! It has tonnes of content (namely track variety and sheer number of cars) that you'll love going through.

Cheers mayen and take care!

Real sorry about your back.

Get FM4 at the first possible opportunity! It has tonnes of content (namely track variety and sheer number of cars) that you'll love going through.

Cheers mayen and take care!
I agree. Get Forza 4. You wont be disappointed.

Back