GT6 Random Combo Generator

• Thread starter msgt-sd
  • 56 comments
United States
United States
msgt-sd
Hey guys, I've made a tool that generates random car and track combinations. See it here. It's something I thought might be useful for some of the leagues and series around here, especially those that I'm apart of like the SNAIL Racing League and the GTP WRS.

I've had the idea to make something like this for quite awhile, and I finally learned enough to do it. Let me know what you think. By the way, it may not appear correctly on some mobile devices, I'm not sure.

I might add some more car and track filters in the future. Also, once I verify some more data I'll eventually enable the option to filter cars by their pre-oil PP and HP numbers.

Here's a screenshot:
fireshot_gtgen2.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys, I've made a tool that generates random car and track combinations. See it here. It's something I thought might be useful for some of the leagues and series around here, especially those that I'm apart of like the SNAIL Racing League and the GTP WRS.

I've had the idea to make something like this for quite awhile, and I finally learned enough to do it. Let me know what you think. By the way, it may not appear correctly on some mobile devices, I'm not sure.

I might add some more car and track filters in the future. Also, once I verify some more data I'll eventually enable the option to filter cars by their pre-oil PP and HP numbers.

Here's a small screenshot:
View attachment 446541
Really cool idea man

This is really good. It would be cool to see the dealership PP (and oil change PP) of the car along with the stock tires. Of course that take more work. I have most of the oil change PP data you are welcome to (see signature)

This is really good. It would be cool to see the dealership PP (and oil change PP) of the car along with the stock tires. Of course that take more work. I have most of the oil change PP data you are welcome to (see signature)

I know someone that has collected that data for a different project. :mischievous:

@msgt-sd can I ask where you got the car pics? Hopefully you didn't have to make them all yourself via the Community Fav cars feature. :eek: That's how we've been making the images for the WRS leaderboard and that's manageable at 1 car a week.

Also curious what languages you used for the code, and how long this project took? If you're willing to share that info.

@msgt-sd I have been hoping for something like this to appear ever since I realised there weren't enough career or seasonal events to play around with in GT6.
Fantastic job - well done 👍:bowdown:

(Well, as long as I don't get the Subaru 360 at Nordschleife on my first spin of the wheel :lol:)

dear Moderators, Sirs, TBH I think this contribution to GTP is worth a 1 year free "Premium" membership for 1 year to @msgt-sd
:embarrassed: :cheers:
Thanks for reminding me about this little oversight Steamer. GTPlanet can get in line for next year if they want to show their appreciation to msgt for this project in this fashion.

@msgt-sd can I ask where you got the car pics? Hopefully you didn't have to make them all yourself via the Community Fav cars feature. :eek: That's how we've been making the images for the WRS leaderboard and that's manageable at 1 car a week.

Haha, no, I didn't make them myself. But, it appears someone else did, thankfully. :bowdown: fsopolonez actually uploaded every car image to kudosprime.com. That's where I got them. I just put a link to his kudosprime page in the footer of the website.

Also curious what languages you used for the code, and how long this project took? If you're willing to share that info.

It's all just javascript running in the browser. I'm not using any typical sort of back end. When someone visits the page, I use Google's API Loader to load Google's Visualization API module. With the Visualization API I grab all the necessary data from a google spreadsheet. Then it's just about manipulating the data with javascript. There's probably a better way of doing things, but this was the easiest (and cheapest) route for me.

I started building this webpage about a month ago. However, I had been gradually collecting and verifying data off and on for many months before that. And I must say, thank god for stackoverflow. You can find the answer to almost any coding question you have there.

Nice! I've been working on something similar, but offline and targeted towards shuffle racing:

ss2.png

Perhaps your application could be made to generate a grid as well?

The way I did it was:

1. The script generates a list of all the cars that matches the filters.

2. I have a counter that represents the desired size of the grid (if you want 16 cars it will start at 16 and count down to 0). While the counter is greater than 0 a car is randomly picked from the list. To avoid duplicates the script checks if the car is already in the grid, and if it's not, or if the length of the grid is already equal or greater than the length of the list of cars, it's being added and -1 is being added to the counter.

3. Finally, the randomized grid is being printed on the screen.

I suppose something similar could be done with the tracks, to generate a full season of events.

Also, there is a lot of checkboxes. Perhaps you could add a checkbox for each filter that selects/deselects all options?

Nice! I've been working on something similar, but offline and targeted towards shuffle racing:

View attachment 446912

Perhaps your application could be made to generate a grid as well?

The way I did it was:

1. The script generates a list of all the cars that matches the filters.

2. I have a counter that represents the desired size of the grid (if you want 16 cars it will start at 16 and count down to 0). While the counter is greater than 0 a car is randomly picked from the list. To avoid duplicates the script checks if the car is already in the grid, and if it's not, or if the length of the grid is already equal or greater than the length of the list of cars, it's being added and -1 is being added to the counter.

3. Finally, the randomized grid is being printed on the screen.

I suppose something similar could be done with the tracks, to generate a full season of events.

Also, there is a lot of checkboxes. Perhaps you could add a checkbox for each filter that selects/deselects all options?

Very cool! I loved the shuffle racing in GT5. Your app/idea could be useful to a number of groups around here. @watermelon punch's Makeshift Shuffle club immediately comes to mind. Also, it's not uncommon to see shuffle-type rooms online, hosted by guys like DestinKeys.

Yes, I think it could be made to generate a grid and/or a full season of tracks. PM me if you would like to talk more about that.

And thanks for the suggestion about the checkboxes. I debated about which filters to add a select all / deselect all option to. Right now, it's only the Country and Manufacturer filters that have that option. A select all / deselect all button pops up when you "uncollapse" those filters. I may add that button to the DT, Aspir, and Track Category filters now.

This is awesome. Now go make a Twitter bot that generates combos of the day for people to hotlap to (nothing strict, mostly just for bragging rights, ask first place to provide video or a replay) for promotion. Keep track of times on a thread here and link to it. After your site crashes under load think about making it into a downloadable executable.

This is awesome. Now go make a Twitter bot that generates combos of the day for people to hotlap to (nothing strict, mostly just for bragging rights, ask first place to provide video or a replay) for promotion. Keep track of times on a thread here and link to it. After your site crashes under load think about making it into a downloadable executable.

Paging @WRSFetchBot :P

Yer at the mercy of the bot, good one. :lol:

Back