My obsession with the Nordschleife.

• Thread starter FussyFez
  • 1,169 comments
:)

image.php

Last edited:
@Manuelos

Love the MR2 mate.

I do too. And the pictures look very very nice.
My plans to go to the 'Ring next year are starting to take shape and seeing this only wets the appetite more...
Too bad I can't really take my car there (cost would be insane). But I guess I can make do with whatever they have to rent...

I do too. And the pictures look very very nice.
My plans to go to the 'Ring next year are starting to take shape and seeing this only wets the appetite more...
Too bad I can't really take my car there (cost would be insane). But I guess I can make do with whatever they have to rent...
Be careful with taking a regular rental on the track, I heard the companies pay bounties to track staff who spot rentals. There are companies that rent "race cars" though, slightly modified, with good suspension and tires as well...

Be careful with taking a regular rental on the track, I heard the companies pay bounties to track staff who spot rentals. There are companies that rent "race cars" though, slightly modified, with good suspension and tires as well...

Oh, yes, I'm aware of that. Unfortunately, I'm a lawyer, so I've heard some horror stories about that from the US (Vipers in Vegas!) and similar ones in Europe, with Lambos and Ferraris.
I'm definitely getting one from the people at the 'Ring, to avoid problems that aren't created by my own stupidity...

Oh, yes, I'm aware of that. Unfortunately, I'm a lawyer, so I've heard some horror stories about that from the US (Vipers in Vegas!) and similar ones in Europe, with Lambos and Ferraris.
I'm definitely getting one from the people at the 'Ring, to avoid problems that aren't created by my own stupidity...
I'm glad you're aware, that is the same plan I have.

Good idea 👍
There are plenty of good car rental companies around the ring. The most known are:

http://www.rentracecar.de/
http://www.rent4ring.de/en/
http://www.rsrnurburg.com/

Thanks for the info. I didn't know rentracecar.de, always good to have more options.

One question: when I go, I'm coming out of Amsterdam. Seeing as you leave from Belgium, you're closer, but how easy is the trip? Is leaving super early and getting on track on the same day feasible or does the hassle of getting a spot, etc., take a little while so it might not be enough time, considering I would still have to get the rented car and all?

Thanks for the info. I didn't know rentracecar.de, always good to have more options.

One question: when I go, I'm coming out of Amsterdam. Seeing as you leave from Belgium, you're closer, but how easy is the trip? Is leaving super early and getting on track on the same day feasible or does the hassle of getting a spot, etc., take a little while so it might not be enough time, considering I would still have to get the rented car and all?

For me RSRNurburg is the best option. Said that, I think that you can be in the circuit from Amsterdam in 3 hours and a half. So, you have the rest of the day to rent a car and enjoy it. For example, RSRNurburg includes the fuel and the tickets. Mi advice is to take it easy and make only a few laps the first day, like 4 or so. At night, in the hotel you'll have time to taste the experience, calm down and remember how different is IRL. The second day you can take it more seriously.

To get to the circuit is easy, even without SatNav. When you´re getting close, in the Autobahn, there are pannels indicating the exit to the Ring so, it's a piece of cake.

By the way, it depends on the day, but in labor days there are just a few cars, and the opening times are tight. The weekends are crazy, a lot of cars and a lot of people without any idea of what they are doing (just like some Nordschleife rooms in the game LOL) but the open the whole day (usually from 9-19 h). Before yo arrive you can check the openings times months before right here: http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/angeb...-nordschleife/opening-times-nordschleife.html Anyway, the opening times are quite a mess.

Last, but not least, don't book the tickets before you go. It's useless. Once there you'll have no problem to buy them on the entrance, or just rent a car with lap tickets included.

If you have more doubts, please, feel free to ask.

Or if @Manuelos have somethig to add...

Cheers!

For me RSRNurburg is the best option. Said that, I think that you can be in the circuit from Amsterdam in 3 hours and a half. So, you have the rest of the day to rent a car and enjoy it. For example, RSRNurburg includes the fuel and the tickets. Mi advice is to take it easy and make only a few laps the first day, like 4 or so. At night, in the hotel you'll have time to taste the experience, calm down and remember how different is IRL. The second day you can take it more seriously.

To get to the circuit is easy, even without SatNav. When you´re getting close, in the Autobahn, there are pannels indicating the exit to the Ring so, it's a piece of cake.

By the way, it depends on the day, but in labor days there are just a few cars, and the opening times are tight. The weekends are crazy, a lot of cars and a lot of people without any idea of what they are doing (just like some Nordschleife rooms in the game LOL) but the open the whole day (usually from 9-19 h). Before yo arrive you can check the openings times months before right here: http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/angeb...-nordschleife/opening-times-nordschleife.html Anyway, the opening times are quite a mess.

Last, but not least, don't book the tickets before you go. It's useless. Once there you'll have no problem to buy them on the entrance, or just rent a car with lap tickets included.

If you have more doubts, please, feel free to ask.

Or if @Manuelos have somethig to add...

Cheers!

Muchas gracias, señor.

Yeah, I've mapped things out in terms of time, but the variable is the process while there, getting the car, getting the tickets, line for the track, and for that, the available info online is pretty all over the place. I've read people complaining that it took hours (obviously they were not at fault, as internet complainers tend to never do anything wrong and be all victims of evil people), others that it was a breeze.
So having some first hand info is crucial here. Thank you for yours.

And I've done some racing IRL and I have no illusions that I'll get there and start turning hot laps. Obviously, it's one thing to know that here, sitting in my office, and quite another once the engine is on and that drawn on asphalt is going under the car...
My plan is to go during the week, coming out of AMS on a Tuesday, for instance, and staying until Friday (money allowing), then going back to Amsterdam to enjoy the weekend having driven the 'Ring.
I have no intention of braving a weekend Touristfahren on my first time there. If the car was mine, then maybe, but with a rental? Hell no. It's too dangerous and I'm not that rich.
I can't even imagine what the carnage is on a full day at the track. If it's anything like a public Nordschleife GT server, then holy crap....

Cheers to all.

Muchas gracias, señor.

Yeah, I've mapped things out in terms of time, but the variable is the process while there, getting the car, getting the tickets, line for the track, and for that, the available info online is pretty all over the place. I've read people complaining that it took hours (obviously they were not at fault, as internet complainers tend to never do anything wrong and be all victims of evil people), others that it was a breeze.
So having some first hand info is crucial here. Thank you for yours.

And I've done some racing IRL and I have no illusions that I'll get there and start turning hot laps. Obviously, it's one thing to know that here, sitting in my office, and quite another once the engine is on and that drawn on asphalt is going under the car...
My plan is to go during the week, coming out of AMS on a Tuesday, for instance, and staying until Friday (money allowing), then going back to Amsterdam to enjoy the weekend having driven the 'Ring.
I have no intention of braving a weekend Touristfahren on my first time there. If the car was mine, then maybe, but with a rental? Hell no. It's too dangerous and I'm not that rich.
I can't even imagine what the carnage is on a full day at the track. If it's anything like a public Nordschleife GT server, then holy crap....

Cheers to all.

I have both experiences. The worst and the best in terms of spending time there. The first time in my life that I arrived there I cannot drive the circuit in the whole day... It was closed because a big accident happened involving the Ring Taxi, probably you remember it. The second day it was hell. You're trying to get your pace and overtaking very slow cars that are just taking a walk there and freaks with GTR's overtaking you at insane speeds. The problem (like in the GT6 rooms) is that you don't know the driving skills of the people that surrounds you.

But if you go between weekends you'll avoid the overcrowding problems, but as I said, check the opening times to avoid sad surprises. I had the best moments in the Ring in labor days.

It took me more than 10 laps and two travels there to get the feeling of the track IRL and starting to shave seconds and have a non embarrasing "Bridge to Gantry" lap time. Just to give you some data, the Spanish driver that holds now the FWD record drove there 9000 km with the car.

Abraçao ;)

I have both experiences. The worst and the best in terms of spending time there. The first time in my life that I arrived there I cannot drive the circuit in the whole day... It was closed because a big accident happened involving the Ring Taxi, probably you remember it. The second day it was hell. You're trying to get your pace and overtaking very slow cars that are just taking a walk there and freaks with GTR's overtaking you at insane speeds. The problem (like in the GT6 rooms) is that you don't know the driving skills of the people that surrounds you.

But if you go between weekends you'll avoid the overcrowding problems, but as I said, check the opening times to avoid sad surprises. I had the best moments in the Ring in labor days.

It took me more than 10 laps and two travels there to get the feeling of the track IRL and starting to shave seconds and have a non embarrasing "Bridge to Gantry" lap time. Just to give you some data, the Spanish driver that holds now the FWD record drove there 9000 km with the car.

Abraçao ;)

Which taxi accident? I remember two of them, one with the BMW taxi last year and another a couple of years ago with a bunch of cars. I imagine there have been lots of others...

I think that's the benefit of going on work days, as the possibility of a major crash is lower, since there's less people driving and the probability of 6-8 cars crashing in such a huge circuit is lessened. Obviously, human stupidity knows no limits...

I imagine it will take a while before I am brave enough to really push, as in GT you can just restart and let's go. Crashing IRL sucks for more than your wallet.
Living here, 9000 km on the 'Ring would be pretty hard to achieve in this lifetime, so that's another benefit of living in Europe, I guess.

Also, my idea is to go slow and drive "normal" cars first, before going crazy with GT-Rs and cars of that ilk. I rather take it slow and make multiple trips there than to go once, go like crazy and screw myself up.

I've been lapping the Nordschleife in GT using a few of the slower cars and it's crazy fun, even if when you get to the straight, it is a bit depressing....

Not much really. This is a great video with nearly everything you need to know about touristenfahrten:

The maker of the video works/live/eats/sleeps at the Nordschleife and has also an acount here on the board. So Dale if there's anything he need to know, shoot !

Thanks for the video, I'll check it out later.

And I'll try to contain the jealousy directed at Dale at this moment...

Not much really. This is a great video with nearly everything you need to know about touristenfahrten:

The maker of the video works/live/eats/sleeps at the Nordschleife and has also an acount here on the board. So Dale if there's anything he need to know, shoot !

After watching the video, it's really hard to contain the envy directed at Dale... Really, really hard.

I will be at the N24 this year, race in RCN on 19th of June, and spectate and be around the team I'm driving for. I'm not qualified for N24 yet, will probably get my International License during September this year :-) ! Anyone else here who gonna be there, spectate, race etc ?

Yesterday I had my first laps at the Nordschleife. A friend of mine drove, he already did a lot of laps before. What a brilliant, exciting and challenging track! Wanna go back already haha. Just love it.
Definitely gonna do some more laps soon and I'm looking forward to see the 24 hours of Nürburgring once.

Still a smile on my face :D

Easy to get addicted to Nürburgring, I will be behund the Wheel of an New Opel Astra Cup, 300 BHP on the RCN (Race Challenge Nürburgring) 19th of June, on the 24N I not sure if I'm needed in the pitbox, most likely be a spectator, taking photos and maybe a bit party in the Woods around the Karusell - Klostertal area on the evening of 21st of June :-)

So I got the Audi Pike's Peak as prize at some point (don't remember for what) and ha never really used it.
So I too it for a drive around the Ring and holy smokes it was a blast.
I'm going to properly tune it and all, but the car feels great, handles pretty well in stock form and without pushing it, did a sub 7 lap.
Mighty fun drive!

3 weeks from now: I'm at the Race Challenge Nürburgring RCN and driving an Opel Astra Cup ;-) with 300BHP FWD 19th of June ;-) 27 different car classes and approx 200 cars. Normally it's a 2 drivers race, but I will do the whole race alone! It is imense feeling when you are out ther in that mix of cars and speeds .... So next Upgrade for GT6 will ba an ejector seat which throws you strait at your wall above your TV every time you crash in GT6,, just to get a sens of danger and feel for Nürburgring :banghead:

Back