My ps3 is dead! SAVE YOUR DATA

  • Thread starter Thread starter NjLowrider
  • 43 comments
  • 5,435 views
Ah, so damn expensive!

I think they were cheaper back in 2007 and they might be selling for less now at different websites. Still, $320 PS3, $1500++ PC, $3600 TV, $800+ home theater, $300 G25, cable box DVR with 1TB HD DVR expander.. etc, etc...

All that stuff is expensive too, I want to run clean power to them. $200 for clean uninterruptable power is a bargain. I'll NEVER plug in expensive electronic equipment directly into the wall without a UPS ever again.
 
oh damn i'm scared now, i've got an orignial 80gb ps3. still going strong but getting worried now..
 
just because your PS3 died doesnt mean it HDD is... remove the HDD and put it in your new PS3

YES! Someone hit the nail one the head. :)

I actually came to this thread to post that exactly. People seem to forget that when a PS3 dies due to YLoD, Blu-Ray drive failure, or some other such problem... the HDD still has all their data safe and sound. Just make sure to take your HDD out before sending your PS3 off to Sony or keep it to put in your new PS3.
 
Would any usb stick work or should i buy one from a specific brand? Might as well should back up my data then, just in case.
 
YES! Someone hit the nail one the head. :)

I actually came to this thread to post that exactly. People seem to forget that when a PS3 dies due to YLoD, Blu-Ray drive failure, or some other such problem... the HDD still has all their data safe and sound. Just make sure to take your HDD out before sending your PS3 off to Sony or keep it to put in your new PS3.
In theory following what many thinks it would be great to simply put it into a new PS3.

The problem is that all PS3 HDD are encrypted only for one PS3. If you put that HDD into an other PS3, the only thing you will be able to do is format it.
 
Mine died last month. Didn't bother fixing it and just bought a new slim.... *Sigh*
 
In theory following what many thinks it would be great to simply put it into a new PS3.

The problem is that all PS3 HDD are encrypted only for one PS3. If you put that HDD into an other PS3, the only thing you will be able to do is format it.

Balls, well it's better than throwing away the whole HDD. You can at least get the old PS3 working long enough to back up the data off of it.
 
I have my save game backed up on a jump drive, have 2 HDD's. The original 80 gig and a 320 gig, and my PS3 crapped out with a YLOD. Not really a huge deal until you consider the fact that when your PS3 YLOD's, you can't get your disk out of the machine. To me, thats the biggest problem, even if I didn't have my saves backed up. Fortunately if you do a search for "Gutted" in advanced search looking for only thread titles you can find a kick ass set of reflow directions posted by a guy who goes by the name Gilsky or something like that.
 
Balls, well it's better than throwing away the whole HDD. You can at least get the old PS3 working long enough to back up the data off of it.

Stick it in a hard drive shell and copy the data via a PC? Don't know if that would defo work but that's what I would try...
 
yeah my 2 months old 320g slim died, in the process of trying to get it sorted i lost my 2nd account which was my drift team account cars tunes etc:tdown:
 
just because your PS3 died doesnt mean it HDD is... remove the HDD and put it in your new PS3

That's what I was just thinking. I replaced my 80GB with a new 500GB HDD in my PS3 phat last year, it works well and is much quieter than the stock HDD.

If the PS3 ever crapped out, I'd just swap drives into a new one.
 
Stick it in a hard drive shell and copy the data via a PC? Don't know if that would defo work but that's what I would try...

That doesn't work either, the PC wouldn't read it.
 
I had 3 USB powered fans all over my ps3 still fried. And sorry for the language just trying to help some folks out.

I just finished vacuuming the PS3, I do it every 2 months, and also keep the shell dust free. I would think the heat isn't an issue unless your clogging the vents with dust, that';s what makes it over heat, the external fans are useless if they can't penetrate the dust.
 
Vacuuming a PC or console is not good. Vacuums produce static discharges by their nature. The issue is compounded in dry, wintry weather.

Static can kill computer equipment with a spark 20,000 times smaller than the power of a spark needed to be seen with the naked eye.

Don't vacuum your PC, don't vacuum your PS3 or any sensitive electronic equipment.

Vacuum your house and the room your PC, PS3, etc., is in to keep down dust, clean dust out of the electronic equipment directly with compressed air specifically made for electronics.
 
Back