my R2 Button won't fully press acceleration anymore

• Thread starter Arctic_
  • 43 comments
Germany
Germany
I have the problem that almost on all my controllers when I fully press R2 i don't fully accelerate leaving me with a loss of power. The bar for the acceleration is only like 3/4 full. I'd say normally say this is because of the wear of the controllers but the fact that I never had this issue and now suddenly I have it with 3 controllers (only a brand new one works) tells me it may have to do with the latest update. Anyways does anyone else have this problem and knows if this is something you can fix or am I now doomed to buy a new controller just for Gran Turismo?

I was having the same problem with my controller. I actually noticed while playing other game (Wildlands), when the vehicles wouldn't fully accelerate, like they were stuck in first gear. It was subtler in GT Sport, I even started to think they made the AI faster in the latest updates, until I used another DS4...

I'm sure this is "normal" wear. But TBH, Sony has been pretty inconsistent with their build quality this generation. Fortunately I had a spare controller to use.

I was having the same problem with my controller. I actually noticed while playing other game (Wildlands), when the vehicles wouldn't fully accelerate, like they were stuck in first gear. It was subtler in GT Sport, I even started to think they made the AI faster in the latest updates, until I used another DS4...

I'm sure this is "normal" wear. But TBH, Sony has been pretty inconsistent with their build quality this generation. Fortunately I had a spare controller to use.

the controllers have been a joke this generation to be honest. first the rubber on the sticks that always broke and now this

People here frequently complained about the non linear throttle and if they fixed that, that would mean the throttle is less sensitive. That would mean that controllers which weren’t 100% would still be okay before but aren’t okay with this latest patch.

Have you tried a controller reset? There's a pinhole reset button.

edit - I get sound issues out of the jack once in a while. Reset usually works. But one time I had to reset the controller. It's probably good to do it periodically.

Clearly this is your controller's way of telling you that you should be playing the game properly. By using the right stick for the throttle.

Mines doing this now, only half throttle on gtsports gauge on the screen, unless i squeeze so hard it almost breaks it, tried project cars aswell, getting about 70% throttle, ...trying one of those repair kits for tomorrow from amazon.

Get a wheel, won't have these throttle issues :cheers:

You will when dirt gets into them, which happens especially when you have a cat or a dog.;) Not to the same level of course though and it's easily fixable unless they happen to fail, which can happen as well, nothing is immune from it. However it is also true that the DS4 is crap compared to previous PlayStation controllers.

I have the problem that almost on all my controllers when I fully press R2 i don't fully accelerate leaving me with a loss of power. The bar for the acceleration is only like 3/4 full. I'd say normally say this is because of the wear of the controllers but the fact that I never had this issue and now suddenly I have it with 3 controllers (only a brand new one works) tells me it may have to do with the latest update. Anyways does anyone else have this problem and knows if this is something you can fix or am I now doomed to buy a new controller just for Gran Turismo?
It's a bug.
As you come to full revs before next upshift fully lift then hit the floor, the accelerator bar "resets"

This is the problem

I fixed mine by layering 2 pieces of scotch tape over the nipple. You might need more if it's still not 100%.

Sven Jurgens is right. DS4 has poorly designed triggers and they're a wear item. I'm guessing all 3 of your controllers have seen quite a bit of use?

You can replace the pieces of rubber that gets notched, but the aftermarket ones I got off of ebay only gave me about 45% on one side and 55% on the other. I got a tube of silicone and it took maybe 5-10 thin layers on the original rubber to get the triggers barely to 100%.

I'm sure there are decent aftermarket suppliers but I had an OG controller so there were fewer options. Next time I might try something harder to build the rubber back up, maybe superglue. I ended up selling the controller mentioned above and I just bought a new controller for me. It's unfortunate.

The R2 trigger on the DS4 that came with my system couldn't reach 100% unless I firmly pressed it down. I used it for about 2 years before I started noticing the effects in GTS. I bought a replacement early last year and it hasn't shown signs of wearing down (yet). I think I read that the triggers on the DS4s that come packaged with PS4s aren't nearly as durable as the ones sold separately.

The R2 trigger on the DS4 that came with my system couldn't reach 100% unless I firmly pressed it down. I used it for about 2 years before I started noticing the effects in GTS. I bought a replacement early last year and it hasn't shown signs of wearing down (yet). I think I read that the triggers on the DS4s that come packaged with PS4s aren't nearly as durable as the ones sold separately.

They are all not very good. I have two pads, one that came with my launch PS4 which acts (and has for a long time now) as you desciribe your original one doing and the 2nd which I bought later on which will barely register above 50% throttle in GT Sport. Not that this is a problem as I have a wheel anyway which I'll use most of the time, only when I was lapping route X for mileage did I use the pad.

Also if I ever need the pad/s to function properly I'll try the fix sven posted in this thread before i go and buy another one. ;)

They are all not very good. I have two pads, one that came with my launch PS4 which acts (and has for a long time now) as you desciribe your original one doing and the 2nd which I bought later on which will barely register above 50% throttle in GT Sport. Not that this is a problem as I have a wheel anyway which I'll use most of the time, only when I was lapping route X for mileage did I use the pad.

Also if I ever need the pad/s to function properly I'll try the fix sven posted in this thread before i go and buy another one. ;)

Which of your DS4s lasted longer when playing GTS?

I don't think the ds4 that are sold in stores are better. I am talking from experience here. I had a left stick that died. I mean it got totally decalibrated to the point it almost doesn't respond in some directions, I have another one with the same problem but it is very slightly decalibrated. DS4 are not very good durability wise.

Also had the R2 button problem. What I did is activate accesibility options which let's you switch buttons functions and switched R1 with R2 and L1 with L2, activate the shortcut for faster access so you can switch fast when needed. I did this for shooters to reduce the wear on them. Had problems were snipers didn't fire in Battlefield 5 because it wasn't a 100% pressed.

Which of your DS4s lasted longer when playing GTS?

Well they were both not working correctly before I got GT Sport, or at least by the first time I used them in GT. FIFA was probably what did in mine, got to use the sprint button in that but I have not played FIFA for a couple of versions now. Also for GT sport, since I was only running route X with the pad, I switched accelerate to the L2 instead of R2 as that was an easier and quicker solution.

I have had two DS4 controllers that faulted like this within a year of regular usage. My current controller is the new model that was released with the redesigned PS4 and Pro models, and so far no issues with it after 11 months.

I think I read that the triggers on the DS4s that come packaged with PS4s aren't nearly as durable as the ones sold separately.

My first DS4 that failed on R2 came with the system, and the second failure was purchased separately. I think it was just the first-generation models that weren't built well enough.

Last edited:
This is the problem

I fixed mine by layering 2 pieces of scotch tape over the nipple. You might need more if it's still not 100%.

yup it's this, the rubber inside wears out. Happened to one of my DS4s as well. You can open it up and fix it, be careful not to lose the little spring it likes to shoot out.

Surprised no one has mentioned testing the game by reconfiguring/reassigning the buttons.

I have run into this issue, and after changing the buttons (swapping the gas and brake buttons), I have come to realize the game is at fault. What made me run test was time attacking slower than usual >> I had noticed the throttle gauge not going past 50-75% most the time and never meeting 100% WOT when needed.

I had swapped the R2 gas and L2 brake and found that R2 works perfectly fine seeing the brake pedal hit the top of brake meter... and moment of truth; hit the L2 gas button and it hit 100% every time...

Great, so my R2 button works >> I swap the buttons back to normal, and to my frustrations, can't hit 100% throttle anymore. =/

Last edited:
There is a trick whereby after you open your controller, you add 3-4 layers of electric tape to the underside of the plastic R2 trigger that touches the silicon contact pad.

Last edited:
Surprised no one has mentioned testing the game by reconfiguring/reassigning the buttons.

I have run into this issue, and after changing the buttons (swapping the gas and brake buttons), I have come to realize the game is at fault. What made me run test was time attacking slower than usual >> I had noticed the throttle gauge not going past 50-75% most the time and never meeting 100% WOT when needed.

I had swapped the R2 gas and L2 brake and found that R2 works perfectly fine seeing the brake pedal hit the top of brake meter... and moment of truth; hit the L2 gas button and it hit 100% every time...

Great, so my R2 button works >> I swap the buttons back to normal, and to my frustrations, can't hit 100% throttle anymore. =/
Your L2 is used a lot less than your R2, so it's no surprise the R2 wears first

There is a trick whereby after you open your controller, you add 3-4 layers of electric tape to the underside of the plastic R2 trigger that touches the silicon contact pad. Another workaround is to revert to the default controller configuration in which X button is for gas and [square] button for brake. It will then work perfectly well and automatic transmission which requires full throttle will work well as well and won't get stuck in one gear.

Last edited:
As I said this is NOT a defective R2 issue. This is a GT Sport software bug that has been confirmed with a brand-new Sony DS4 controller. The only workaround is to revert to the default controller configuration in which X button is for gas and [square] button for brake. It will then work perfectly well and automatic transmission which requires full throttle will work well as well and won't get stuck in one gear.

If it’s a bug, Chuck it in the bug thread too 👍

As I said this is NOT a defective R2 issue. This is a GT Sport software bug that has been confirmed with a brand-new Sony DS4 controller. The only workaround is to revert to the default controller configuration in which X button is for gas and [square] button for brake. It will then work perfectly well and automatic transmission which requires full throttle will work well as well and won't get stuck in one gear.

Mine wasn’t software related. The R2 trigger on my factory DS4 doesn’t have the same rebound as the L2 trigger. It doesn’t even make the same “click” sound. It works well enough. I just don’t use it in games that require pressure sensitive inputs.

I think it’s a mixture of physical wear and what you’re positing.

Back