My Racing Updates

• Thread starter Spurgy 777
  • 57 comments
England
Hampshire
Spurgy777
Hi guys, in the time I've been on GTP I've had a number people interested in how my racing is going, what I've been up to, etc. (no idea why, crazy people :P), so I decided to make a thread to keep you updated. I thought now would be as good a time as any, as this will be the first year since I got to Race Camp in GT Academy, and so it'll be the first year I don't need to worry about qualifying.

That means I'll be a lot more active and hoping to move up into a more competitive series, which will be BRSCC Formula Ford Kents with Cliff Dempsey racing. I also got some help in making a website, as well as a few other things, which turned out to be really awesome, there should be updates on there too as the season progresses. :D

Here's the link to the website, where you can find all the links to my relevant pages, such as my YouTube channel (also in my sig) where I post all my racing videos, etc;
http://www.benspurgeracing.com/

The first practice days for me this year are in March, and I'll be uploading as much video footage as I can get for them. One of them will be my first (proper) time around the full Silverstone GP circuit, which I'm really excited for! :D

If you have any questions on practically anything feel free to ask away.

Finally, I'll leave the "About me" section from my website here, it gives a brief summary of what I've done so far.

Ben Spurge is one of the most exciting single seat racing prospects for the 2015 season. He is a naturally talented 19 year old racer and with high profile testimonial from some of the sports most respected professionals, Ben Spurge is one to watch not just for 2015 but for the years ahead in the future.

Ben like many started his career in Karting and his natural speed and ability behind the wheel were apparent and his talents were quickly being noticed. He has also proved himself and is known as a strong but clean driver with an amazing understanding of car and track.

In 2007 Ben started his racing career competing in the Forest Edge Karting club and in 2012 became overall Junior Class Champion. However the accomplishment was made even more spectacular as he was racing with an inferior engine to the other competitors and upon a technical inspection, deemed to have one of the slowest karts in the championship.

The following season, 2013, Ben stepped up from Karting and made his debut in single seat racing, competing in the Formula Jedi Championship. Ben showed some exceptional displays, his debut race qualifying 4th and 3rd respectively and finishing 4th and 2nd in his first race weekend at Rockingham.Throughout the season Ben consistently qualified within the top 5 places, setting numerous lap records and was a consistent front runner.

In 2014 Ben had a very varied season taking part in the Atom Cup at Silverstone in very adverse weather conditions earning plaudits,most notably from Simon Hill for his handling of the car in his first race in such conditions.

Ben also competed in the online racing competition Nissan GT Academy in 2013 and 2014 finishing 1st in the UK on both occasions,7th in the world in 2013 and 17th in 2014 making it through to the grand final at Silverstone. Ben was quickest in the speed trials, driving cars such as a Formula Jaguar, Caterham and Nissan Micra and was one of the quickest driver s in the Nissan GTR.

Most notably in the 2014 season proved to be a test for Cliff Dempsey Racing, driving the high profile Formula Ford Kent, completing over 100 laps in the rain and achieving lap times equal to experienced front runner racers. Ben adapted remarkably well to the high profile series and entered his first Formula Ford Race at Silverstone in a round of the Formula Ford Triple Crown and without a Friday test and straight into qualifying and out qualified some of the more established series drivers and finished a very respectable and competitive 8th and 10th place respectively in both races. His successful debut did not go un noticed and was voted as driver of the day.

Ben has had many offers to race in prestigious racing series’, Formula Renault ,The Atom cup and F3 Cup, however Ben has pledged his allegiance to the renowned Cliff Dempsey Racing team, a team with over 25 years of success under the stewardship of the extremely respected team principal, Cliff Dempsey who has an exceptional reputation for developing young drivers.

2015 is the season Ben Spurge will make his mark in Single seat racing and he can succeed, he can challenge for the very top and his competitors out on the track know that very well.

If you make big time and this thread becomes archived I want it to be known that I rekt you in Suzuki Swifts.

Think I had a genuinely competitive even race with Spurg for all of about 2 laps at Spa in a TOCA Carrera race once m8, so get me.

Are you guys still using the 2.0L engine over there? It's getting harder to find 1600 Kent blocks over here in Canada/USA, and how do those grooved tires stick compared to slicks? Congrats on the ride!

Are you guys still using the 2.0L engine over there? It's getting harder to find 1600 Kent blocks over here in Canada/USA, and how do those grooved tires stick compared to slicks? Congrats on the ride!

We use 1600 Kents, in fact I'm pretty sure the series is regulated to 1600s only. And I've never driven the Ford on slicks, but compared to other cars I've driven, it does slide around more.

Just got home from my test day at Silverstone, first proper time on the GP circuit :) Got almost 3 hours of running in which works out at roughly 68 laps, or 244 miles! Pictures and videos to come soon. :D

image.jpg
In what way? :P
Where it says 2014: 1/17th for the last GT Academy. You actually finished 18th ;)

Latest Posts

Back